Jump to topic:

Faith

MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 10:53:45 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Is faith mere belief or is there, as scripture shows a real difference between mere belief and faith?

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

He even obeyed Jehovah by leaving his comfortable life behind and living as a nomad.

But did he have real faith in Jehovah?

The account says no, at least, not at first.

Jehovah told Abraham that he would have a son by 99 year old Sarah.

Did Abraham have faith in him and his promise?

If he had, he would not have agreed with his wife to have a son by Hagar, and we would not have IS to deal with.

After Sarah had Isaac, then Abraham learned that Jehovah was worthy of real faith, faith, as Jesus described, built like a tower built on rock, on a solid foundation of fact and evidence.

We don't need evidence to have belief, but as the story of Abraham proves, belief isn't enough, and for real faith we need evidence, strong solid evidence.

That is why I have real faith in Jehovah and his son. I have seen and had the evidence.
uncung
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 11:05:36 AM
At 4/22/2016 10:53:45 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
Is faith mere belief or is there, as scripture shows a real difference between mere belief and faith?

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

He even obeyed Jehovah by leaving his comfortable life behind and living as a nomad.

If he had, he would not have agreed with his wife to have a son by Hagar, and we would not have IS to deal with.

After Sarah had Isaac, then Abraham learned that Jehovah was worthy of real faith, faith, as Jesus described, built like a tower built on rock, on a solid foundation of fact and evidence.

We don't need evidence to have belief, but as the story of Abraham proves, belief isn't enough, and for real faith we need evidence, strong solid evidence.

That is why I have real faith in Jehovah and his son. I have seen and had the evidence.

Did Abraham ever said he believed in Jehovah?
Athomos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 11:15:26 AM

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

By your own repeated admission, you're not a terribly bright person. As such, you are unlikely to possess the necessary discernment to tell if you're following God's will or instead being tricked by the Devil into thinking you're following God's will.

For starters, you're even using a name that is in all likelihood not even the Abrahamic God's real one. From that elementary mistake it's safe to assume you're following a doctrine that is as scriptural as it is rigorous when dealing with the tetragram, which is to say, not at all.

Every single day that passes you and the Watchtower are exposed for the source of vitriolic lies that you are. No, the world is not bankrupt. No, Christ hasn't come. No, we are not at the end of the last days. Yes, people have been saying the exact same thing for 2000 years. Yes, people have advanced the exact same "evidence" to support their delusional and now disproven claims. Yes they have been just as sincere as you appear to be. Yes, they have disqualified naysayers just the same way as you do.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 11:26:48 AM

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

Abraham was a child abuser!
Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:07:13 PM
At 4/22/2016 11:15:26 AM, Athomos wrote:

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

By your own repeated admission, you're not a terribly bright person. As such, you are unlikely to possess the necessary discernment to tell if you're following God's will or instead being tricked by the Devil into thinking you're following God's will.

For starters, you're even using a name that is in all likelihood not even the Abrahamic God's real one. From that elementary mistake it's safe to assume you're following a doctrine that is as scriptural as it is rigorous when dealing with the tetragram, which is to say, not at all.

Every single day that passes you and the Watchtower are exposed for the source of vitriolic lies that you are. No, the world is not bankrupt. No, Christ hasn't come. No, we are not at the end of the last days. Yes, people have been saying the exact same thing for 2000 years. Yes, people have advanced the exact same "evidence" to support their delusional and now disproven claims. Yes they have been just as sincere as you appear to be. Yes, they have disqualified naysayers just the same way as you do.

Most christians don't realize that the bible deliberately explains we cannot know when the end days shall come.

The first thing to happen shall be a great, earthwide quake.

So when it does you will know where to turn.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-
http://tinyurl.com...

Stupid atheist remarks #: 6
Athomos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:18:36 PM
At 4/22/2016 12:07:13 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

Most christians don't realize that the bible deliberately explains we cannot know when the end days shall come.

It is not going to happen.
Ever.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:24:41 PM
At 4/22/2016 11:26:48 AM, tarantula wrote:

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

Not in the least, that is just your rather twisted take on the events.

But then you turn everything to the negative. As the French would say, Honi Soit Qui Mal Epense.

"Evil be he who thinks evil", which appears to fit you down to the ground.
Athomos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:34:50 PM
At 4/22/2016 12:24:41 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

But then you turn everything to the negative. As the French would say, Honi Soit Qui Mal Epense.

He was more than willing to murder his own son by stabbing him and then burning him to ashes, not because of anything Isaac had done, mind you, but to prove a point.

I rest my case.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:39:19 PM

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

I don't need to be. Holy spirit makes up for what I lack.

There are very few countries which are not technically bankrupt. In other words that do not owe more than they have the ability to pay.

Depends on what you mean by Christ coming. He is ever going to come to earth in teh flesh again, that is absolutely impossible.

However there are two ways of looking at his return.

In the late 1800s he turned his attention to the earth to care for a people to carry on on the work he started when on earth in the flesh.

He will also turn his attention to the earth again at Armageddon.

You can take your pick which of the two you believe to be classed as his return, both qualify in different ways.

However it will not be marked by one great global earthquake.

It is being marked by all the signs Christ gave to his disciples Matthew 24, all of which are happening in this time period with a frequency and severity combined that has never happened before in history.

It is the frequency combined with the severity which is what qualifies them as part of the sign, not just the fact that they are happening.

Some of them have not even been possible in the past, none of them was it possible to see, global and with the ease we can see them, before communications became as good as they currently are.

In fact the increased levels of communication that make it possible to see them appear to be an integral part of the sign, which Jehovah was able to foresee so long ago.

It not only will happen it actually is happening now, it simply hasn't reached its peak yet.

Jesus likened these days to the days of Noah.

If you wish to prove that in your case by refusing to recognise the signs until it is too late for the knowledge to benefit you, just as the vast majority did at the them of the flood, then be my guest. It is and will remain your choice.

I hope you will wake up before it is too late, just as I hope others will, but knowing what scripture says on the matter I'm not holding my breath.
Athomos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:42:49 PM
At 4/22/2016 12:39:19 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

That settles it then.

Since we know for a fact that a global flood never happened, let alone circa 2000 BC, it's only reasonable to assume the second coming is also complete, and dare I say B-grade, fiction.

Thanks for helping prove my point.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:44:48 PM
At 4/22/2016 12:34:50 PM, Athomos wrote:

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

He was more than willing to murder his own son by stabbing him and then burning him to ashes, not because of anything Isaac had done, mind you, but to prove a point.

Was he?

Or did he simply trust Jehovah enough to know that somehow he would walk back down with his son at his side, because Jehovah had made promise that his son had to live to fulfil?

That is what I mean when I said he learned faith by the evidence he saw.

It is also what scripture says:

Hebrews 11:17-19
17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, as good as offered up Isaac"the man who had gladly received the promises attempted to offer up his only-begotten son" 18 although it had been said to him: "What will be called your offspring will be through Isaac." 19 But he reasoned that God was able to raise him up even from the dead, and he did receive him from there in an illustrative way.

I rest my case.

What case? You don't have one except in your twisted view of what went on.

Honi Soit Qui Mal Epense.

As long as you choose to have a jaundiced view of things you will see evil where it does not exist, because you will continue to judge in ignorance of the full facts.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:46:36 PM
At 4/22/2016 12:42:49 PM, Athomos wrote:

That settles it then.

Since we know for a fact that a global flood never happened, let alone circa 2000 BC, it's only reasonable to assume the second coming is also complete, and dare I say B-grade, fiction.

No, you not know that for a fact, you simply accept the word of scientists that they can do the impossible, where they cannot, because it suits your desires.

I can see the holes in their theories even if you choose to ignore them.

All I have proven is that you are in denial, completely and utterly.
Athomos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:51:29 PM
At 4/22/2016 12:44:48 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

Was he?

Or did he simply trust Jehovah enough to know that somehow he would walk back down with his son at his side, because Jehovah had made promise that his son had to live to fulfil?

17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, as good as offered up Isaac"the man who had gladly received the promises attempted to offer up his only-begotten son" 18 although it had been said to him: "What will be called your offspring will be through Isaac." 19 But he reasoned that God was able to raise him up even from the dead, and he did receive him from there in an illustrative way.

I rest my case.

As long as you choose to have a jaundiced view of things you will see evil where it does not exist, because you will continue to judge in ignorance of the full facts.

It seems there's something quite basic that your own confessed limitations prevent you from noticing: even if Isaac were to be resurrected afterwards, that would not make 1) the sacrificial killing of an innocent man any more moral , 2 ) take the excruciating psychological and physical pain of having your own father stab you and then burn you away.

That you have the nerve to routinely point to the bible's alleged moral superiority is taking the piss, really.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:52:30 PM

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

If Abraham was really prepared to sacrifice his son because a voice in his head told him to, what sort of father does that make him? If anyone today claimed god had told them to sacrifice their child, and they had put the idea into motion, I don't think the police and social services would be too impressed, do you?
Athomos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:54:28 PM
At 4/22/2016 12:46:36 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

The holes you're seeing are those of your own ignorance and self-confessed intelectual limitations.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 1:01:28 PM
At 4/22/2016 12:54:28 PM, Athomos wrote:

The holes you're seeing are those of your own ignorance and self-confessed intelectual limitations.

I am seeing a child abuser for whom you are making crazy excuses!
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 1:10:35 PM

Faith is stupidity. Faith is believing in something without evidence.

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

No, he believed in Yahweh.

Noooo he obeyed Yahweh

No, this is Yahweh.

Where?

Pfft. I'd dunno. Neither do I care.

By IS, I think you mean ISIS, or ISIL. If so, your are beyond retarded.

No it is not. The very point of faith is to believe something without evidence. Saying faith is built on evidence is therefore nonsensical.

We don't need evidence to have belief,

Yes we do, unless you don't mind conforming to being a weak minded retarded, which you already are.

but as the story of Abraham proves, belief isn't enough, and for real faith we need evidence, strong solid evidence.

Nonsensical, considering that faith is believing in something without evidence.

You have low standards, of both women and belief structure.
"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 1:10:40 PM
At 4/22/2016 12:18:36 PM, Athomos wrote:

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

Ever.

So in the case of this if it is meant to be in your lifetime know that i was correct. Revalation shall occur.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 1:13:52 PM

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

So, according to you, sacrificing a child on a mountain somewhere with a flint knife is not child abuse? Riiiight. Your meds are ready.

No one speaks French here. Did you just say that in French to sound more important?

That is retarded. So you claim that the guy was thinking evil when he pointed out that sacrificing a child is abuse? And your implying that sacrificing a child isn't abuse?

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Athomos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 1:13:58 PM
At 4/22/2016 1:10:40 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

Ever.

So in the case of this if it is meant to be in your lifetime know that i was correct. Revalation shall occur.

Please join the long queue of Christian apologists who have been saying the exact same thing, with the exact same degree of confidence, pointing to the exact same bible verses, for over two millennia.
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 1:18:40 PM
At 4/22/2016 12:44:48 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

Was he?

It's scary to think people like you exist.

"Hey, do you mind if I stab you and burn you to ashes because a voice in my head told me so? Don't answer that's...stabby stabby!"

Then it's not faith. If it was based on evidence, it wasn't faith.

I rest my case.

So you don't mind the occasional child sacrifice, as long as holy sky fairy promises to resurrect them?

Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 1:29:29 PM
At 4/22/2016 1:13:58 PM, Athomos wrote:

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

Ever.

Please join the long queue of Christian apologists who have been saying the exact same thing, with the exact same degree of confidence, pointing to the exact same bible verses, for over two millennia.

I am saying it is not happening now, and not soon either.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-

AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 1:42:52 PM

That settles it then.

No, you not know that for a fact, you simply accept the word of scientists that they can do the impossible, where they cannot, because it suits your desires.

So your saying that it is entirely impossible for scientists to tell that earth temporarily turned into Neptune a mere 4000 years ago? Dude....can I store my stuff in your head, since it's clearly vacant? That's a lot of wasted space, you know...

Of course you can, Dr. Hypocrisy. What did you get, a PhD in stupid?

And your not?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com...

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 2:11:53 PM

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

That is good, but there are just as many who have real faith and evidence of something completely different.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 2:15:44 PM

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

How do you know that story is true?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:32:02 PM
At 4/22/2016 2:15:44 PM, matt8800 wrote:

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

How do you know that story is true?

Initially I understood it to be true because I had already proven a high degree of accuracy in scripture, sufficiently high for me to accept that it truly is the word of God and can have no other source.

That is the solid foundation the tower of my faith is constructed on.

As for Abraham in particular, I have learned that it fits completely into the pattern of scripture.

Also Jesus believed it.

He also said that his father's word is truth.

As did Paul who used Abraham as an example of faith.

Taking all of that into account it is definitely a story which fits into the overall harmony of scripture, and anything which fits into that overall harmony belongs and is true.

Interestingly, when you get to know your Bible well enough you soon realise that it is so put together, from Genesis to Revelation, that anything which doesn't fit, which is mistranslated, or added n order to prove something which is not true, stands out like a wrong piece that has got into your jigsaw puzzle box.

That was Jehovah's way of protecting it from the corruption which he knew would eventually be introduced into it.

That also speaks of one "author" for the whole thing despite a number of different writers.

In fact, the book itself is a miracle.

If you want to prove that to yourself you will need to study it, and do so with the aid of someone who also knows their way around it and is guided by holy spirit, just as the Ethiopian Eunuch needed such help from Philip. Acts 8:26-39.

Ideally that means 1 hour a week on a day and time mutually convenient to you and a couple of JWs who will take you through a guided study, and also answer any questions you may have.

Of curse if you want to accelerate progress a little you can always attend meetings at your nearest Kingdom Hall.

Or you can start by browsing http://www.jw.org....

Its up to you entirely.

The other amazing thing is that not only does the Bible tells us of things that we are only now learning, and there is not one thing in the whole book that cannot teach us something, however small.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:34:38 PM
At 4/22/2016 2:11:53 PM, slo1 wrote:

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

That is good, but there are just as many who have real faith and evidence of something completely different.

No, they have a belief, and feel they have evidence of something else, but the Bible can prove them wrong.

Especially in this time of the end Satan has created thousands of false paths to lead as many away from the truth as he can.

It is up to each one of us to make sure we are on the right one, and if not to get off it onto the right one.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:35:41 PM
At 4/22/2016 1:42:52 PM, AWSM0055 wrote:

That settles it then.

So your saying that it is entirely impossible for scientists to tell that earth temporarily turned into Neptune a mere 4000 years ago? Dude....can I store my stuff in your head, since it's clearly vacant? That's a lot of wasted space, you know...

Of course you can, Dr. Hypocrisy. What did you get, a PhD in stupid?

And your not?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com...

Not any longer, no, though I have been there.

And I have no intention of going back, so I keep checking to see that I am not.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:37:47 PM
At 4/22/2016 1:29:29 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

Ever.

And you are wrong, very wrong.

You are like one of the five foolish virgins of the illustration. You aren't on the watch.
Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:41:07 PM
At 4/22/2016 3:37:47 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 4/22/2016 1:29:29 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:

Well, remember Abraham?

He believed in Jehovah.

Ever.

And you are wrong, very wrong.

You are like one of the five foolish virgins of the illustration. You aren't on the watch.

I have my oil, i am prepared. But i don't actively watch. I focus on spreading the news and destroying the regime of doubt.
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-