Jump to topic:

Ancient Greece.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 4:25:45 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
If the godbotherers of any flavour lived in ancient Greece they would believe in Greek gods.
Any questions?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 4:48:00 AM
At 4/25/2016 4:25:45 AM, bulproof wrote:
If the godbotherers of any flavour lived in ancient Greece they would believe in Greek gods.
Any questions?

Yeah would if I was born in Ancient Greece could I be born and Athens and be an Athiest like Socrates?

I know there is no extant empirical evidence from the first century for Socrates existing but if he did... I would want to an Athiest like him. Of coarse he died for Athiesm
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 5:05:32 AM
At 4/25/2016 4:48:00 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
Any questions?

Yeah would if I was born in Ancient Greece could I be born and Athens and be an Athiest like Socrates?

I know there is no extant empirical evidence from the first century for Socrates existing but if he did... I would want to an Athiest like him. Of coarse he died for Athiesm

That's your most atheist friendly post ever Mhykiel.
This Socrates bloke sounds like a smart character hey ?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 5:23:30 AM
At 4/25/2016 5:05:32 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Any questions?

This Socrates bloke sounds like a smart character hey ?

Only Athiest I know who admits he knows nothing.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 5:24:57 AM
Any questions?

You would be the atheist (not that Socrates really was an atheist) amongst the pagans? How ironic. I wonder what arguments you would have used?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 5:29:24 AM
At 4/25/2016 5:23:30 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 4/25/2016 5:05:32 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Any questions?

This Socrates bloke sounds like a smart character hezy ?

Only Athiest I know who admits he knows nothing.

And yet you identify with him. Interesting.
(Socrates was not actually an atheist but a contrarian. Try Diagoras of Melos).
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 6:03:55 AM
If I was born in ancient Greece I would probably worship the Greek gods as well. So I suppose my atheism isn't worth a toss either.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 6:10:22 AM
Any questions?

I'd worship the Titans, specifically Prometheus: the champion of mankind, patron of civilization, bringer of fire, and who altruistically sacrificed himself to having his liver eaten for eternity for us.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 8:10:52 AM
At 4/25/2016 6:03:55 AM, Casten wrote:
If I was born in ancient Greece I would probably worship the Greek gods as well. So I suppose my atheism isn't worth a toss either.

Do you think the average Greek citizen then received the education (especially in the sciences) that they do now? Or were superstitious beliefs rampant, feeding on ignorance?

Yes, I know you were probably being tongue in cheek, but I couldn't let it pass. :-)
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 8:20:20 AM
At 4/25/2016 6:10:22 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
Any questions?

I'd worship the Titans, specifically Prometheus: the champion of mankind, patron of civilization, bringer of fire, and who altruistically sacrificed himself to having his liver eaten for eternity for us.

I'd probably have worshipped Dionysios. The usual story of his birth relates that he was the offspring of Zeus, the immortal head of the Greek gods who impregnated a human female by the name of Semele, the daughter of Cadmus, King of Thebes. Dionysus is said to have descended to the underworld and conquered death, ultimately bringing his dead mother back to the land of the living. He also is said to have died and been raised again. His followers called him Lysios or Redeemer, and grape juice commonly was used to symbolize his blood.

No, on second thoughts, that sounds a bit too similar to a later mythical character. Lol.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 8:44:42 AM
Any questions?

How could someone as desperate as you are to have a god ever be an atheist, that is probably the most dishonest thing you've ever written.
Casten
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 9:28:18 AM
At 4/25/2016 8:10:52 AM, dee-em wrote:

Do you think the average Greek citizen then received the education (especially in the sciences) that they do now? Or were superstitious beliefs rampant, feeding on ignorance?

Yes, I know you were probably being tongue in cheek, but I couldn't let it pass. :-)

Heh. I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if one of Plato's students actually turned out to be more knowledgeable or intelligent than your average student today.

We see daily evidence that people can have good education in the sciences but still believe in God. So even with a good grasp of science, I can't say I wouldn't have worshiped the Greek gods, as a child of that time period.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 9:39:09 AM
Of coarse he died for Athiesm
Of course he died because the powers that be felt he was a very influential heretic of sorts. Do you know the evidence that convicted him?
It was a portrayal he performed in a play many years earlier and the words spoken in that portrayal.
Yes the religious even then were totally dishonest, you do them proud.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 9:44:29 AM
At 4/25/2016 8:20:20 AM, dee-em wrote:
Any questions?

I'd probably have worshipped Dionysios. The usual story of his birth relates that he was the offspring of Zeus, the immortal head of the Greek gods who impregnated a human female by the name of Semele, the daughter of Cadmus, King of Thebes. Dionysus is said to have descended to the underworld and conquered death, ultimately bringing his dead mother back to the land of the living. He also is said to have died and been raised again. His followers called him Lysios or Redeemer, and grape juice commonly was used to symbolize his blood.

The OP said Ancient Greece, such symbology as you mention is in eras after christianities influence, after 1900 Athiest influence and are prevalent in neo paganism not ancient greece Dionysios worship.

More likely your prevalent symbols would be bull horns, pinecone tipped rod, fox skin and homosexual orgies

No, on second thoughts, that sounds a bit too similar to a later mythical character. Lol.

Later... I know your not good at these parallel debates but show me evidence that this symbology predates Christ.

Okay show evidence wine was seen as the gods blood?

I know Dionysus was called the Liberator, that his festivals encouraged dropping inhibitions. It's a big leap from Liberator to Redeemer in the same sense as Christ is redeemer so I suspect Lysios is being misrepresented here as well.

So that depiction of Dionysus is After Christ
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 10:01:27 AM
At 4/25/2016 9:39:09 AM, bulproof wrote:
Of course he died because the powers that be felt he was a very influential heretic of sorts. Do you know the evidence that convicted him?
It was a portrayal he performed in a play many years earlier and the words spoken in that portrayal.

Total myth bulpoop. That story of his death was written hudreds of years after he supposedly die.

And for supposedly being such a great teacher, show me one thing written by his hand?

Your the one saying people born in Ancient Greece would grow up and adopt beliefs in Greek Gods, now your back peddling unto the authority when I point out EVEN in ancient greece thier were free thinkers.

Oh but Socrates even in myth is not the freethinker Hitchens or Dawson is. Socrates would punch you in the throat and drown Deem in the city fountain.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 10:27:48 AM
At 4/25/2016 10:01:27 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

Total myth bulpoop. That story of his death was written hudreds of years after he supposedly die.

And for supposedly being such a great teacher, show me one thing written by his hand?

Your the one saying people born in Ancient Greece would grow up and adopt beliefs in Greek Gods, now your back peddling unto the authority when I point out EVEN in ancient greece thier were free thinkers.

Oh but Socrates even in myth is not the freethinker Hitchens or Dawson is. Socrates would punch you in the throat and drown Deem in the city fountain.
WTF are you talking about, do try to read what I write and not something dragged up from wherever you drag such nonsense up.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 10:31:24 AM
At 4/25/2016 10:27:48 AM, bulproof wrote:

WTF are you talking about, do try to read what I write and not something dragged up from wherever you drag such nonsense up.

You got no evidence that's how an imagionary man named Socrates died, for all I know it is a myth to make little Athiest girls and boys feel good about themselves and depise the jews, I mean religious Grecians
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 10:45:20 AM
At 4/25/2016 10:31:24 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 4/25/2016 10:27:48 AM, bulproof wrote:

You got no evidence that's how an imagionary man named Socrates died, for all I know it is a myth to make little Athiest girls and boys feel good about themselves and depise the jews, I mean religious Grecians
This is just your usual derailing. I never mentioned any admiration for Socrates, that was you poor little unthinker.
Stick with the topic, you claim you would have been an atheist in ancient Greece. You are so desperately in need of a god that you can only be lying to make such a claim, either that or you are incapable of self examination.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 11:12:39 AM
At 4/25/2016 9:44:29 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
Any questions?

The OP said Ancient Greece, such symbology as you mention is in eras after christianities influence, after 1900 Athiest influence and are prevalent in neo paganism not ancient greece Dionysios worship.

More likely your prevalent symbols would be bull horns, pinecone tipped rod, fox skin and homosexual orgies

Later... I know your not good at these parallel debates but show me evidence that this symbology predates Christ.

I know Dionysus was called the Liberator, that his festivals encouraged dropping inhibitions. It's a big leap from Liberator to Redeemer in the same sense as Christ is redeemer so I suspect Lysios is being misrepresented here as well.

Are you serious? The myths, stories and cult pertaining to Dionysus date to classical Greece and earlier. Greek culture pretty much ended once the Roman Empire took over. I have no idea where you are getting your information from.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

The original rite of Dionysus (as introduced into Greece) is associated with a wine cult (not unlike the entheogenic cults of ancient Central America), concerned with the grapevine's cultivation and an understanding of its life cycle (believed to have embodied the living god) and the fermentation of wine from its dismembered body (associated with the god's essence in the underworld). Most importantly, however, the intoxicating and disinhibiting effects of wine were regarded as due to possession by the god's spirit (and, later, as causing this possession).

http://www.hermeticfellowship.org...

Lysios
"Liberator; Bringer of Freedom." An allonym and epithet for Dionysos. At Sikyon and Korinthos in the northern Peloponnesos, Dionysos Lysios was the Light Aspect of the God in a complementary Dyad with Dionysos Bakcheios as the Dark Aspect. See also Eleutherios and Lyaios and Meilichios.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 3:58:38 PM
At 4/25/2016 11:12:39 AM, dee-em wrote:
Any questions?

Are you serious? The myths, stories and cult pertaining to Dionysus date to classical Greece and earlier. Greek culture pretty much ended once the Roman Empire took over. I have no idea where you are getting your information from.

So no manuscript or evidence of this symbology and Jesus parallel predating Jesus Christ. Check

The original rite of Dionysus (as introduced into Greece) is associated with a wine cult (not unlike the entheogenic cults of ancient Central America), concerned with the grapevine's cultivation and an understanding of its life cycle (believed to have embodied the living god) and the fermentation of wine from its dismembered body (associated with the god's essence in the underworld). Most importantly, however, the intoxicating and disinhibiting effects of wine were regarded as due to possession by the god's spirit (and, later, as causing this possession).

So the wine embodied the spirit not the blood. Check

Lysios
"Liberator; Bringer of Freedom." An allonym and epithet for Dionysos. At Sikyon and Korinthos in the northern Peloponnesos, Dionysos Lysios was the Light Aspect of the God in a complementary Dyad with Dionysos Bakcheios as the Dark Aspect. See also Eleutherios and Lyaios and Meilichios.

So liberator as in the sense of lost inhibitions totally NOT Redeemer as with Jesus.

I wish you would just concede your lies and misrepresentations
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 5:28:10 PM
Any questions?

not sure. God sent prophets to every nation according to the Quran. if u listen to them u would believe such stuff.

Any questions?
Never fart near dog
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2016 6:31:36 PM

I don't think critical thinkers' beliefs are as affected by geography as superstitious thinkers.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 1:09:33 AM
At 4/25/2016 3:58:38 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
Any questions?

So no manuscript or evidence of this symbology and Jesus parallel predating Jesus Christ. Check.

Lol. How could a Jesus parallel predate Jesus?

So the wine embodied the spirit not the blood. Check.

Wine. Spirit. Blood. The symbolism is obvious and many ancient cultures understood the latter link.

http://gnosticwarrior.com...

The Greeks who were the first culture to study the power of blood in-depth using science that they had thoroughly documented in numerous texts, had said that the soul consists of two parts. The Pneuma, corresponds to the Biblical "Neshamah," which God breathed into man. The Psuche corresponds to the " Nephesh " whose seat is in the blood. They considered blood as synonymous with life, the soul and consciousness.

Aristotle had said in some people"s opinion blood is life itself, and he attributed the power of thought to the heart, which he said also contained the soul. The Roman Poet Virgil whose ancestors were both Phoenician and Greek, speaks of the purple blood as the purple soul and famously said, "He vomits forth his purple soul." The Greek-Roman physician, surgeon and philosopher, Galenos said, "blood is the soul" (haema einai ten psychen). The Greek pre-Socratic philosopher, Empedocles (c.492-432 BC) considered the blood to be the same as the soul (=psyche), and connection to the spirit (=pneuma).

Lysios

So liberator as in the sense of lost inhibitions totally NOT Redeemer as with Jesus.

I wish you would just concede your lies and misrepresentations.

You wish. The very name Lysios (an alias for Dionysus) means Redeemer.

From the Greek lysis = redemption.

You know nothing.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 2:36:59 AM
At 4/27/2016 1:09:33 AM, dee-em wrote:
Any questions?

So no manuscript or evidence of this symbology and Jesus parallel predating Jesus Christ. Check.

Wine. Spirit. Blood. The symbolism is obvious and many ancient cultures understood the latter link.

That website looks like the doodles of a neo pagan.

I asked for actual evidence, not more bare assertions. Evidence would be writings predating Jesus Christ expressing the so called "parallels" you mentioned.

The Greeks who were the first culture to study the power of blood in-depth using science that they had thoroughly documented in numerous texts, had said that the soul consists of two parts. The Pneuma, corresponds to the Biblical "Neshamah," which God breathed into man. The Psuche corresponds to the " Nephesh " whose seat is in the blood. They considered blood as synonymous with life, the soul and consciousness.

Aristotle had said in some people"s opinion blood is life itself, and he attributed the power of thought to the heart, which he said also contained the soul. The Roman Poet Virgil whose ancestors were both Phoenician and Greek, speaks of the purple blood as the purple soul and famously said, "He vomits forth his purple soul." The Greek-Roman physician, surgeon and philosopher, Galenos said, "blood is the soul" (haema einai ten psychen). The Greek pre-Socratic philosopher, Empedocles (c.492-432 BC) considered the blood to be the same as the soul (=psyche), and connection to the spirit (=pneuma).

Lysios

The title for Dionysus and I suspect many of his other names means "Liberator"

Enough with your bare assertions! This is very easy for you to support your claims. Just provide a link to a reputable source, a study of a greek tablet, ect...

And this has to be the easy one to support. Just show me a Greek to English dictionary that records Lysios as "Redeemer".

No you are lying. Dionysus was not "Redeemer" like Jesus. Wine was not equated to being Dionysus blood. Dionysus was not a virgin birth like Jesus.

The parallels between Jesus and Dionysus is of gross generalizations and poorly defined archetypes.

You know nothing.

Lier. Lysis mean "a loosening."

Which is why the name Lysios is translated as Liberator.

I've seen nothing to think it means Redeemer.

Your parallels with Jesus, and your statements about Dionysus mythology and cult practices are all lies. bare assertions with no evidence of any of it being 1. correct or 2. predating Jesus.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 4:55:39 AM
Any questions?

The Greeks were given no devine promise of which God remembered their fathers. Only Jews and Christians. God knew us before we were born and put us right where He knew we fit.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:10:31 AM
At 4/27/2016 4:55:39 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
Any questions?

The Greeks were given no devine promise of which God remembered their fathers. Only Jews and Christians. God knew us before we were born and put us right where He knew we fit.
Nice dribble, now respond to the OP.
Lonely-Bird
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 5:29:41 AM
I keep a can near the stove for draining bacon. It's pretty old so...

Oh, what's that? Sorry. Carry on.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 2:04:46 PM
At 4/27/2016 2:36:59 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
Any questions?

I asked for actual evidence, not more bare assertions. Evidence would be writings predating Jesus Christ expressing the so called "parallels" you mentioned.

You are in denial, as usual. I have given you sources which are based on ancient writings. I'm not sure what you are actually disputing and I can't be bothered to find out. Educate yourself on the cult of Dionysus/Bacchus or not. It's your choice.

Lysios

Enough with your bare assertions! This is very easy for you to support your claims. Just provide a link to a reputable source, a study of a greek tablet, ect...

And this has to be the easy one to support. Just show me a Greek to English dictionary that records Lysios as "Redeemer".

Easy: http://artflsrv02.uchicago.edu...

Look up the definition of "redemption".

No you are lying. Dionysus was not "Redeemer" like Jesus. Wine was not equated to being Dionysus blood. Dionysus was not a virgin birth like Jesus.

You keep right on denying against all the evidence. It seems to be your style.

The parallels between Jesus and Dionysus is of gross generalizations and poorly defined archetypes.

You know nothing.

See above. Or just google "Lysios Dionysus Redeemer". It isn't that hard.

Your parallels with Jesus, and your statements about Dionysus mythology and cult practices are all lies. bare assertions with no evidence of any of it being 1. correct or 2. predating Jesus.

I'm not in the habit of lying. I leave that to others.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 4:15:40 PM
At 4/27/2016 2:04:46 PM, dee-em wrote:
Any questions?

You are in denial, as usual. I have given you sources which are based on ancient writings. I'm not sure what you are actually disputing and I can't be bothered to find out. Educate yourself on the cult of Dionysus/Bacchus or not. It's your choice.

So no actual evidence of such mythology predating Jesus.

Lysios

Well your getting closer. But that page translates redeem and redemption to the greek verb lysis. Where it is usec to be unbind.

I don't think ou have the understanding to know the nuances of translating langues to ever admit, 'redeemer' as with Jesus (the greek word apolytrosis) is not the same as Liberator associated with Dionysus (lysios)

You keep right on denying against all the evidenc

You know nothing.

I'm not in the habit of lying.

I'm not interested in what you and some neopagans assert on some website. I'm interested in the actual evidence predating Christ.

I have no problem recognizing some symbology was used in the cult of Dionysus. But none of that occured before Jesus.

I could be wrong. And will concede when you
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 4:25:07 PM
At 4/27/2016 2:04:46 PM, dee-em wrote:
Any questions?

Lysios

You keep right on denying against all the evidence. It seems to be your style.

You know nothing.

See above. Or just google "Lysios Dionysus Redeemer". It isn't that hard.

I'm not in the habit of lying. I leave that to others.

You're committing an etymological fallacy.

Jesus as redeemer follows the greek 'to pay ransom'

Dionysus is called liberator following the greek 'to loosen (inhibitions)'

Both utilize the verbage 'lysis' to loosen or break open

Both titles however are not synonymous as you are implying.

Nothing you have presented supports your claim f