Total Posts:36|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Is revelation really about the end times?

bamiller43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 3:44:40 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Revelation has nothing to do with the end of the world. In fact, it's more so about the destruction of the Second Temple. The "beast" in revelation is symbolic of Nero, the roman emperor. The mark of the beast is actually the Hebrew numerology of Nero. Why would the author write with such symbolic language then? Because he was afraid that the Roman's would intercept the letter, so he basically coded it using symbolism.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com...
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 4:03:24 AM
At 4/26/2016 3:44:40 AM, bamiller43 wrote:
Revelation has nothing to do with the end of the world. In fact, it's more so about the destruction of the Second Temple. The "beast" in revelation is symbolic of Nero, the roman emperor. The mark of the beast is actually the Hebrew numerology of Nero. Why would the author write with such symbolic language then? Because he was afraid that the Roman's would intercept the letter, so he basically coded it using symbolism.

Thanks for providing this link. I am a fan of Elaine Pagels, and have read some of her other works. I'm glad she is attempting to shed light on how the Book of Revelation has been used by past religious leaders to control the masses.

I have given BoR (Book of Revelatioin), serious study myself and have concluded that it will be used by man to "play out" the end times using technology, while pretending to be God. This will result in an epic battle which will finally result in the false leaders who play God being overcome by the power of the real God, maybe thru an inner spiritual awakening (gnosticism) by atheists (those who are now unbelievers) who will resist the false god and rise to victory thru inner revelations and knowledge. I have even begun writing my own "novel" on the subject.
bamiller43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 4:10:48 AM
At 4/26/2016 4:03:24 AM, Emmarie wrote:

Thanks for providing this link. I am a fan of Elaine Pagels, and have read some of her other works. I'm glad she is attempting to shed light on how the Book of Revelation has been used by past religious leaders to control the masses.

I have given BoR (Book of Revelatioin), serious study myself and have concluded that it will be used by man to "play out" the end times using technology, while pretending to be God. This will result in an epic battle which will finally result in the false leaders who play God being overcome by the power of the real God, maybe thru an inner spiritual awakening (gnosticism) by atheists (those who are now unbelievers) who will resist the false god and rise to victory thru inner revelations and knowledge. I have even begun writing my own "novel" on the subject.

Very interesting thought. I never thought of the "prophecy" of Revelation as being self-fulfilling. The only flaw i find is that people have tried to bring about the end times, and no one or very few got on bored. People seem to love the idea of being raptured and fighting in a full-scale world war, and yet deep down, they don't want to see the world actually end. They go to church, they hear about the end time a comin', and they get all excited about armaggedon, but day-to-day, nothing changes. It's almost like they don't actually believe the world is about to end. They think they'd be ready, but in truth, the attachment to this world would never let them be.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 4:28:32 AM
At 4/26/2016 4:10:48 AM, bamiller43 wrote:

Very interesting thought. I never thought of the "prophecy" of Revelation as being self-fulfilling. The only flaw i find is that people have tried to bring about the end times, and no one or very few got on bored.
Technology has never been advanced enough to play god, but I think they are almost there now!

People seem to love the idea of being raptured and fighting in a full-scale world war, and yet deep down, they don't want to see the world actually end. They go to church, they hear about the end time a comin', and they get all excited about armaggedon, but day-to-day, nothing changes. It's almost like they don't actually believe the world is about to end. They think they'd be ready, but in truth, the attachment to this world would never let them be.

At the risk of discrediting myself, I've been actively "training" for it for over a decade. I've lived without utilities for over 5 years (other than city water, I wasn't hard core enough for that), and I learned to do with less and less dependence of the world. The only reason I have utilities on now is cuz my sons who are 19 and 22, don't wanna buck the system, passively resistantly (should be a word) like I do, and I encourage them to take advantage of our personal communal economic system in our home, rather than forcing them to suck systematic asss to feel important. So for now we pay our utility - but I'm prepared to go without if necessary. Let's put it this way, if the world ever does away with cash and virtual money becomes necessary to buy or sell, I am prepared to not become a part of that system.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 4:58:46 AM

Nope. It's just a illustration of how i got here =)
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 7:32:42 AM
The book of Revelation is a fun book, which extreme Christians interpret any which way suiting their extreme beliefs. There is no more reality to that book than there is to any fairy story.
Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 7:37:17 AM
I dont know what that fantasy was written for.
"I'm not as soft or as generous a person as I would be if the world hadn't changed me" Bobby Fischer
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 11:12:17 AM
Maybe the guy who wrote it was as high as a kite on a substance which would be illegal in many countries today.
Athomos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 11:21:11 AM

Writing a novel based on another novel?
I see.

Will you please join the long line of Christians who have read the Book of Revelation and drawn myriads of dystopian conclusions, none of which have ever come to fruition, thank goodness for that, despite these people being dead certain, claiming them to be imminent, yet each and every one failing miserably.

The text is so riddled with symbolism and figures of speech and eerie imagery that weekend novelists can read into it whatever their pulsating imaginations long for.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 11:29:12 AM

Not really.

In fact it is about the beginning, not the end.

It is about the beginning of reality as it was intended to be, as Jehovah originally planned it.

It is also about the end of this "false reality" that we are having to endure around us.

Are we truly "enduring" this life?

The answer to that depends on only one thing.

How much we care abut our fellow man, and the planet we live on.

Those who truly care about either, or preferably both, can only be said to endure the pain, very real emotional pain, of seeing what humanity are doing to each other and the planet we live on against all common sense.

Th real story of Revelation is very relevant to these times when we really are "ruining the earth" (Revelation 11:18), and whilst it isn't strictly chronological in the order of it's writing, most of it speaks exclusively about the time period we live in, which started, as far as Revelation is concerned about 150-200 years ago, though there are a few parts which apply to the final days, not years, of the 1st century and the start of the 2nd.

Revelation is a fascinating book, long my favourite one, and I have always much enjoyed seeing, sometimes through the eyes of modern history, the events it describes unfolding.

Why is it my favourite?

Mainly because I look forward so much to sharing in the joy expressed by the last two chapters (21 & 22) and led into by chapter 20, though that is some time in the next 900 years.

Would you like to share in that joy?

You can, but there is only one way to do so.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 11:30:27 AM

I must have missed the comet hitting Earth and the 200,000,000 man army attacking Israel.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 12:25:38 PM
At 4/26/2016 11:29:12 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Not really.

In fact it is about the beginning, not the end.

It is about the beginning of reality as it was intended to be, as Jehovah originally planned it.

It is also about the end of this "false reality" that we are having to endure around us.

Are we truly "enduring" this life?

The answer to that depends on only one thing.

How much we care abut our fellow man, and the planet we live on.

Those who truly care about either, or preferably both, can only be said to endure the pain, very real emotional pain, of seeing what humanity are doing to each other and the planet we live on against all common sense.

Th real story of Revelation is very relevant to these times when we really are "ruining the earth" (Revelation 11:18), and whilst it isn't strictly chronological in the order of it's writing, most of it speaks exclusively about the time period we live in, which started, as far as Revelation is concerned about 150-200 years ago, though there are a few parts which apply to the final days, not years, of the 1st century and the start of the 2nd.

Revelation is a fascinating book, long my favourite one, and I have always much enjoyed seeing, sometimes through the eyes of modern history, the events it describes unfolding.

Why is it my favourite?

Mainly because I look forward so much to sharing in the joy expressed by the last two chapters (21 & 22) and led into by chapter 20, though that is some time in the next 900 years.

Would you like to share in that joy?

You can, but there is only one way to do so.
What can be more rewarding than a 67 year old pervert living alone with a dog because no human wants to be near him? I can see why you would like to see the better days promised in Revelations., But the world is great as it is for many. Why would a God ruin it for the sake of a few who threw away their gift and now wants to spoil it for the rest. Suffer you miserable pervert. Failed fathers, failed husband, failed JW member disfellowshipped and shunned. You got what you deserve.
bamiller43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 1:47:24 PM
At 4/26/2016 11:30:27 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

I must have missed the comet hitting Earth and the 200,000,000 man army attacking Israel.

Once again that's symbolism. I'm unsure about the origin of the comet, but the army attacking Israel seems to be a metaphor for the Romans destroying the second temple.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 2:44:03 PM
The author of Revelations was not the disciple John. Firstly John and Peter were unschooled as indicated in the NT. Secondly John spoke Aramaic like Jesus and the other disciples from Galilee, but tbe NT was written in perfect Greek.

Revelations was a book prophesizing the destruction of the Roman Empire after the Author witnessed the destruction of tbe temple and Jerusalem. It was more like a curse. It was also an attack on the early Christians who were pandering to the Romans and Gentiles and no longer requiring the new converts to follow the Jewish traditions and rituals.

Finally the Author prophesied the rebirth of Israel which is the central theme of the Bible, uninhibited Jewish nationalism.

There really isn't much in Revelations for the average Christian to feel good about. Some even extend the destruction of Rome to the destruction of the Roman Catholic Church. That would destroy over a billion modern Christians followed by the Jews reclaiming their religion and Islam claiming the covenant.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 6:36:01 PM

Perhaps it could be also about that partially. However Revelation has many things that I don"t think fits to ancient Roma.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 6:40:39 PM

I have said that on here for years. However, as clowns are wont to do, some watch the news, read the newspaper, and actually think they are seeing the descriptions in Revelation unfolding all around them.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Athomos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 7:41:07 PM
At 4/26/2016 6:40:39 PM, annanicole wrote:

I have said that on here for years. However, as clowns are wont to do, some watch the news, read the newspaper, and actually think they are seeing the descriptions in Revelation unfolding all around them.

In your opinion, is Christ ever coming back to judge mankind? Or things will just go on as usual, endlessly, without God ever intervening again?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 8:18:05 PM
Revelation is about kundalini, ego death, and enlightenment. The seven seals are the seven chakras. This is also the same as individuation, or the alchemical seven steps.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 8:24:17 PM

Yes, and I think it is about time I stopped being gentle with you considering the harm you are doing to any who are daft enough to listen to you.

Yes Anna we know you have, just as PGA has, just as Hymenaeus did back in the 1st century.

2 Timothy 2:15-19

15 Do your utmost to present yourself approved to God, a workman with nothing to be ashamed of, handling the word of the truth aright. 16 But reject empty speeches that violate what is holy, for they will lead to more and more ungodliness, 17 and their word will spread like gangrene. Hymenaeus and Philetus are among them. 18 These men have deviated from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already occurred, and they are subverting the faith of some. 19 Despite that, the solid foundation of God remains standing, having this seal, "Jehovah knows those who belong to him," and, "Let everyone calling on the name of Jehovah renounce unrighteousness."

Every word Paul says about them, is equally applicable to you.

But of course, that is only scripture and you make it very clear just how little you really care about scripture.

Maybe you should think about that.
bamiller43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 8:45:46 PM
At 4/26/2016 7:41:07 PM, Athomos wrote:

In your opinion, is Christ ever coming back to judge mankind? Or things will just go on as usual, endlessly, without God ever intervening again?

In my personal opinion, Christ isn't coming back because he was never resurrected. but that's a wee bit off topic.
bamiller43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 8:49:14 PM
At 4/26/2016 8:24:17 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Yes, and I think it is about time I stopped being gentle with you considering the harm you are doing to any who are daft enough to listen to you.

Yes Anna we know you have, just as PGA has, just as Hymenaeus did back in the 1st century.

2 Timothy 2:15-19

15 Do your utmost to present yourself approved to God, a workman with nothing to be ashamed of, handling the word of the truth aright. 16 But reject empty speeches that violate what is holy, for they will lead to more and more ungodliness, 17 and their word will spread like gangrene. Hymenaeus and Philetus are among them. 18 These men have deviated from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already occurred, and they are subverting the faith of some. 19 Despite that, the solid foundation of God remains standing, having this seal, "Jehovah knows those who belong to him," and, "Let everyone calling on the name of Jehovah renounce unrighteousness."

Every word Paul says about them, is equally applicable to you.

But of course, that is only scripture and you make it very clear just how little you really care about scripture.

Maybe you should think about that.

Congratulations, you'ved proved the bible. Using the bible. again.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 10:42:58 PM
At 4/26/2016 7:41:07 PM, Athomos wrote:

Yes, I believe in the literal return of Christ, but do not believe that the bulk of Revelation (99% of it) has a thing in the world to do with it.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 11:51:42 PM
At 4/26/2016 11:21:11 AM, Athomos wrote:

Writing a novel based on another novel?
I see.

Will you please join the long line of Christians who have read the Book of Revelation and drawn myriads of dystopian conclusions, none of which have ever come to fruition, thank goodness for that, despite these people being dead certain, claiming them to be imminent, yet each and every one failing miserably.

The text is so riddled with symbolism and figures of speech and eerie imagery that weekend novelists can read into it whatever their pulsating imaginations long for.
I haven't decided whether or not to continue writing, but I guarantee that mine is unique and will stand apart from any that have been written thus far. I haven't been in the mood to write much lately. My biggest dilemma is typing - lol. I really enjoy the pen on paper cuz my thoughts flow more freely. I have 150 hand written pages that I never find the motivation to type. I don't wanna write more till I get those pages typed, so I can get feedback to see if I should even continue writing.
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 1:28:19 AM
As you go about the posts in this debate.org you will see that the conversations on Armageddon raise much indignation and denial. The book of Revelation, completed about 67 years after Jesus was born on earth, was written by the apostle John who was exiled to Patmos and island.

The year of completion does not fit in with the Catholic Claim that the popedom had commenced with the apostle Peter, so that is one reason why some do not accept the book of Revelation as having any significance to present times.

Many will say that Revelation is just fantasy or, in here, written in code, and probably hope they are correct as the real interpretation of the Book of Revelation is a bit too frightening to comprehend.

Well, to be fair to the frightened, maybe it is and maybe it isn't, so one would keep a close watch on the prophecies of Revelation and see if they come to fruition.

It is pointless to rant and rave about the words of Revelation, they are written, it is the interpretation you want to worry about.

One to watch out for is the world governments turning on Christendom and "devouring her".

However, it may be the same as in the time of the flood where "man was marrying and giving in marriage" (Carrying on as usual) right up to the time when the rain started to fall.

You have to look at the explanation of Babylon the Great, the harlot on the back of the wild beast, and what all that means in our present day to realize why Christendom is so afraid of John's words under inspiration from God.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 1:37:00 AM
At 4/26/2016 4:28:32 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 4/26/2016 4:10:48 AM, bamiller43 wrote:

Very interesting thought. I never thought of the "prophecy" of Revelation as being self-fulfilling. The only flaw i find is that people have tried to bring about the end times, and no one or very few got on bored.
Technology has never been advanced enough to play god, but I think they are almost there now!

People seem to love the idea of being raptured and fighting in a full-scale world war, and yet deep down, they don't want to see the world actually end. They go to church, they hear about the end time a comin', and they get all excited about armaggedon, but day-to-day, nothing changes. It's almost like they don't actually believe the world is about to end. They think they'd be ready, but in truth, the attachment to this world would never let them be.

At the risk of discrediting myself, I've been actively "training" for it for over a decade. I've lived without utilities for over 5 years (other than city water, I wasn't hard core enough for that), and I learned to do with less and less dependence of the world. The only reason I have utilities on now is cuz my sons who are 19 and 22, don't wanna buck the system, passively resistantly (should be a word) like I do, and I encourage them to take advantage of our personal communal economic system in our home, rather than forcing them to suck systematic asss to feel important. So for now we pay our utility - but I'm prepared to go without if necessary. Let's put it this way, if the world ever does away with cash and virtual money becomes necessary to buy or sell, I am prepared to not become a part of that system.
Solar panels equal free electricity, plus you sale back some to the city and get paid.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 1:48:39 AM
At 4/26/2016 2:44:03 PM, Harikrish wrote:
The author of Revelations was not the disciple John. Firstly John and Peter were unschooled as indicated in the NT. Secondly John spoke Aramaic like Jesus and the other disciples from Galilee, but tbe NT was written in perfect Greek.

Revelations was a book prophesizing the destruction of the Roman Empire after the Author witnessed the destruction of tbe temple and Jerusalem. It was more like a curse. It was also an attack on the early Christians who were pandering to the Romans and Gentiles and no longer requiring the new converts to follow the Jewish traditions and rituals.

Finally the Author prophesied the rebirth of Israel which is the central theme of the Bible, uninhibited Jewish nationalism.

There really isn't much in Revelations for the average Christian to feel good about. Some even extend the destruction of Rome to the destruction of the Roman Catholic Church. That would destroy over a billion modern Christians followed by the Jews reclaiming their religion and Islam claiming the covenant.
You're not an authority on revelations and its meanings, don't pretend you know simply because another non authority told you a story you wish to accept. Knowledge of Revelations is an innate gift from God, which few people have and the majority cannot grasp.
The seven churches are Gods churches or churches of the holy spirit., I.e. our human bodies. Each person who has existed or will exist belongs to one of the churches as designed by God for that persons souls particular journey. The wisdom that the souls acquire condition them for the last "trial" to be overcome in spirit only. You will notice each church endures something that, as rev. says..."Let the spirit say to the churches, those that overcome will not be hurt at all by the second death". First death body, second death is death of the spirit or soul. Its really very simple to understand.
Don't reply. I won't read it.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 2:03:31 AM

Revelations and the understanding of it is predicated on innate knowledge from God. You simply don't and were not meant to understand it.
bamiller43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 2:24:16 AM
At 4/28/2016 2:03:31 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

Revelations and the understanding of it is predicated on innate knowledge from God. You simply don't and were not meant to understand it.

If God knew we couldn't understand it, then why would he make it a part of a book in which the main purpose is to be understood for guidance through life. It's like playing a death metal screaming solo in the midst of a Celin Dion concert. You've this wonderful vocalist with touching and beautiful lyrics, and then you just get this unintelligible ranting and raving.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 2:17:23 PM
At 4/28/2016 1:48:39 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
At 4/26/2016 2:44:03 PM, Harikrish wrote:

You're not an authority on revelations and its meanings, don't pretend you know simply because another non authority told you a story you wish to accept. Knowledge of Revelations is an innate gift from God, which few people have and the majority cannot grasp.
The seven churches are Gods churches or churches of the holy spirit., I.e. our human bodies. Each person who has existed or will exist belongs to one of the churches as designed by God for that persons souls particular journey. The wisdom that the souls acquire condition them for the last "trial" to be overcome in spirit only. You will notice each church endures something that, as rev. says..."Let the spirit say to the churches, those that overcome will not be hurt at all by the second death". First death body, second death is death of the spirit or soul. Its really very simple to understand.
Don't reply. I won't read it.

You are a 42 year old confused coward. Revelations was written decades after Jesus was crucified and the temple was destroyed. The author wasn't even John who who was unschooled and spoke only Aramaic. Revelations was written in perfect Greek. It was written to get back at the Romans and hope for its demise because of the role Rome played in destroying the temple and crucifying Jesus. The Roman Catholic Church has survived the apocalyptic visions and maintain control of over 1 billion Christians.

If Revelations was a book of prophesies, it would have seen the rise of Islam and tbe coming of the prophet Mohammad (pbuh).
Here is what Revelations missed.
1. The descendants of Ishmael would own 2/3 of the worlds oil reserve.
2. The descendants of Ishmael would own 640 times the land size of Israel.
3. The descendants of Ushmael would multiply and prosper. There are 434 million Arabs compared to 14 million Jews. None of the Jews today can be traced back to Isaac.
4. There are 1.6 billion Muslims compared to ??? Judaism.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 2:43:50 PM
Who cares?
Is the story of the three little pigs all about porridge? LOL
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin