Jump to topic:

Christians always ask

dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 5:01:22 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Why are atheists so angry about something they don't believe in? It's an often-used sound bite you hear in any publicized conversation about atheism held by Christians. Well, why are Christians so angry about atheism whey they don't believe it really exists? Almost every Christian will claim that atheists really believe in their God but are denying him so they can live a 'sinful' life and not suffer the consequences. So, theists. do you believe that atheism actually exists and if not, why are you so ticked off about it?
NoMagic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 5:35:03 PM
At 4/26/2016 5:01:22 PM, dhardage wrote:
Why are atheists so angry about something they don't believe in? It's an often-used sound bite you hear in any publicized conversation about atheism held by Christians. Well, why are Christians so angry about atheism whey they don't believe it really exists? Almost every Christian will claim that atheists really believe in their God but are denying him so they can live a 'sinful' life and not suffer the consequences. So, theists. do you believe that atheism actually exists and if not, why are you so ticked off about it?

As an atheist, I would like to play armchair psychologist for the theist and try to answer the question.
The belief in a god or a supernatural realm is fragile due to a lack of evidence. This makes it harder to justify belief. If all people believe, belief would be easier because there is no one suggesting the belief isn't true. When I believer is confronted with someone who doesn't believe their belief, this forces the believer to acknowledge some people don't find their belief to be justifiable. Now you have a combination of belief supported by a complete lack of evidence, and people in your midst, that don't find your belief compelling. This undermines the confidence of the belief and becomes threatening to the belief.
People believe what other people believe. Believers need other people to believe, because the lack of evidence makes the belief fragile, and the lack of other people believing compounds that problem. This is why, I think, believers demand you believe also. It strengthens a fragile view if all people believe it.
Your question points out this fragile view. I'm entirely confident 2+2=4 (based on how we define those terms) If my neighbor believed 2+2=5, I would spend some time trying to convince him he was wrong. But in the end, I would walk away still being completely confident in my belief that 2+2=4. I also wouldn't vilify him for his belief. I don't need to. I'm confident I have the truth. Believers don't seem to have this confidence in their belief. They aren't content, allowing you to reject their conclusion. They demand you accept it. This is very important to them, that you believe also. This suggest an insecurity in the belief. The believer needs you to believe it also. It gives them greater confidence that they are correct.
At least that is my take on it.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 5:35:17 PM

Here are some key points...
Some atheists hate Christianity, that makes them angry towards Christians, Christians pick up on this. It's not for everyone or every person, but it exists. On this forum, we get the blame for many things, things which we had no part in.
Some atheists even admit, if the Christian God exists they'd rather go to "hell" and would never worship the God or follow Him, this is anger, it exists. Not in everyone of course.
We are not angry about atheism, at least not all of us. We are trying to preserve something valuable, for both culture and the atheist, not just for Theists. We don't want you to walk away believing falsities and misconceptions, swallowing world views without considering all possible truths. If you don't care what we want then that's fine too, you can take what you want or leave it, most of us Christians are not political leaders or control freaks, we are willing to live and let live.

My personal opinion about this "Almost every Christian will claim that atheists really believe in their God but are denying him so they can live a 'sinful' life and not suffer the consequences. " is that it's stupid lol, it may actually be the case for some individuals but to assume it about everyone is ignorant. Sorry you have to bear such an assertion if it's not true, some people are just not with it.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 6:03:00 PM

, Are you asking Christian's or theists, I think you mean theists,

For the record I genuinely believe that people lack a belief in God, Because I used to, Until I came to the realization that God is more likely than not, And for for me to be an atheist now would put me in the camp of denying A God that I believe is more likely than not.

Conclusion; Both types of atheists can exist, those who believe but choose or try to forget God and thus convince themselves of their own atheism,, and those who truly fit the description of genuinely lacking a belief in the existence of God.
RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 6:08:36 PM
Along the lines of what EtrnlVw saide:

"if the Christian God exists they'd rather go to "hell" and would never worship the God or follow Him"

There is a tendency for some to react to the God of the Bible as a real personality, at the same time claiming the Bible is a fairytale, and of course the God of the Bible being fictitious. When someone makes a pejorative comment about the God of the Bible, and claiming something like He (God of Bible) condones or promotes rape, when there's no literary suggestion of such, it's an odd statement for one who supposedly doesn't believe. And it's not even tongue-in-cheek.

Realistically, while this may not apply at all to you, more than likely there are self-professed atheists that are in fact angry at a literal God (being one who exists). There are those who had bad experiences in church, or felt God gave them a bad deal of some sort, and it comes as "I don't believe God exists". If someone wants to hurt God, that would be the quintessential way to do it...."I don't believe". Again, I'm not doubting any particular claim to non-belief, but I think these particular self-professed atheists do exist, and probably post here is well.

There are those who have gone to a website to publicly proclaim they officially blaspheme God (the Holy Spirit). Some may do it jokingly, but why in the world would someone want to waste their time doing something like that?

And I've seen a number of times atheists taking issue with atheist activists. Some seem even quite angry with atheist activists. And I've never seen them get blasted by a theist simply because they are atheists. They generally seem to get respected for their acknowledgment of some of the more extreme atheist activist sentiments.
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 6:13:53 PM

I have both Christian friends and Atheist friends. The Atheist friends outnumber the Christian friends. When my Christian friends are entertaining other Christian friends, the conversation inevitably turns to religion. Because I'm a "heretic", the discussion ultimately gets quite heated, and the Christians who don't know me well nearly always end the discussion yelling and hoping I burn in hell.

My Atheist friends and I rarely get into religious discussions, but when we do, they usually end up amiably laughing at me, punching me in the shoulder, or patting me on the back and saying that it just doesn't matter.

The obvious irony is that the Christians are intolerantly un-Christlike, while the Atheists are lackadaisically more Christlike.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 6:35:37 PM
So, theists. do you believe that atheism actually exists and if not, why are you so ticked off about it?

Originally atheism meant that person denies the existence of God. In that sense many atheists exists.

But personally I believe all know deep inside that God exists. Some just suppress that, because they don"t want to believe it is true. And then, if believer comes and speaks about that, it can make atheist angry, because "it opens the wounds that the person is trying to shut". Why else would atheists take so personally the belief in God and Bible and religion? If I don"t believe something, I don"t form ism around it.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 6:58:32 PM
At 4/26/2016 6:35:37 PM, 12_13 wrote:
So, theists. do you believe that atheism actually exists and if not, why are you so ticked off about it?

Originally atheism meant that person denies the existence of God. In that sense many atheists exists.

But personally I believe all know deep inside that God exists. Some just suppress that, because they don"t want to believe it is true. And then, if believer comes and speaks about that, it can make atheist angry, because "it opens the wounds that the person is trying to shut". Why else would atheists take so personally the belief in God and Bible and religion? If I don"t believe something, I don"t form ism around it.

You, sir, are the perfect example of what I was speaking about. You assume you know the minds of others just because they say something you don't like. That's arrogant and ignorant at best.

Just for the record, the atheists that I know aren't angry at God. That would be silly since they don't even acknowledge the existence of such and entity. They get angry when believers take it to be their right to intrude on the function of government in order to promulgate their beliefs and their religious moral laws on the rest of society. The get angry when they are marginalized and discriminated against despite the fact that such discrimination is a violation of the law. Did you know that there are several states with anti-atheist laws on their books? So no, we're not mad at or denying any god or gods. We're taking a stand against theists who want to usurp the basic rights of all people to believe, or not believe, as they see fit and to be free of religious influence in their daily lives.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 9:20:56 PM

We feel sorry for it.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2016 9:22:20 PM
At 4/26/2016 9:20:56 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

We feel sorry for it.

Let me ask the questions again. Do you believe that atheism exists and if not, why are you so ticked off about it. Please, feel free to try again.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2016 9:04:01 PM
At 4/26/2016 6:58:32 PM, dhardage wrote:
The get angry when they are marginalized and discriminated against despite the fact that such discrimination is a violation of the law. Did you know that there are several states with anti-atheist laws on their books? So no, we're not mad at or denying any god or gods.

I just speak on basis of what I see. Perhaps I have not seen accurately, but you are the first atheist that I see mentions those law issues. Others just seem to go with their falselish anti God claims.
Lonely-Bird
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2016 12:53:30 AM
At 4/27/2016 9:04:01 PM, 12_13 wrote:
At 4/26/2016 6:58:32 PM, dhardage wrote:
The get angry when they are marginalized and discriminated against despite the fact that such discrimination is a violation of the law. Did you know that there are several states with anti-atheist laws on their books? So no, we're not mad at or denying any god or gods.

I just speak on basis of what I see. Perhaps I have not seen accurately, but you are the first atheist that I see mentions those law issues. Others just seem to go with their falselish anti God claims.
Why false?