Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

evidence of the non existence of God

Skepticalone
Posts: 6,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 5:45:16 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 5:34:59 PM, rnjs wrote:
What do you believe is the evidence that God does not exist.

God will need to be defined before this question can be answered.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:27:41 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 5:34:59 PM, rnjs wrote:
What do you believe is the evidence that God does not exist.

Please ask your question in a way atheist will like,

Define believe as accepted without evidence, on pure blind faith, superstion

Define evidence as objective quantifiable material that has a scientific consensus as an explaination

Define God as Santa Clause sitting on a throne orbiting Earth at the edge of the atmosphere

The answer is then ambiguous, and we all know when in doubt, go for false
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:38:50 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 6:27:41 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 4/29/2016 5:34:59 PM, rnjs wrote:
What do you believe is the evidence that God does not exist.

Please ask your question in a way atheist will like,

Define believe as accepted without evidence, on pure blind faith, superstion

Define evidence as objective quantifiable material that has a scientific consensus as an explaination

Define God as Santa Clause sitting on a throne orbiting Earth at the edge of the atmosphere

The answer is then ambiguous, and we all know when in doubt, go for false

You don't find it amazing that God as theists view Him need to have His traits given to Him in the best possible light, as opposed to drawing said traits from reality?

Or that He simply must have them because existence is existence, and it couldn't possibly be anything else?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Dogknox
Posts: 5,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 6:52:07 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 6:27:41 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 4/29/2016 5:34:59 PM, rnjs wrote:
What do you believe is the evidence that God does not exist.

Please ask your question in a way atheist will like,

Define believe as accepted without evidence, on pure blind faith, superstion

Define evidence as objective quantifiable material that has a scientific consensus as an explaination

Define God as Santa Clause sitting on a throne orbiting Earth at the edge of the atmosphere

The answer is then ambiguous, and we all know when in doubt, go for false

Mhykiel You have BLIND FAITH that; God does NOT exist!
You BELIEVE God does not exist!
You TRUST in yourself to know the truth.. AND...
And this is exactly where you fall.. Trusting in yourself!!! ha-ha

Scientific consensus is: There is a design to the universe!!!
Scientific consensus is: The universe is to complex for it to all fall together by accident!!!

Thus looking at what the Scientific consensus is, the onus is on you to PROVE them wrong.. Good luck!!
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 7:11:09 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
You are only going to have evidence for the non-existence of God if you define the concept incorrectly.

If we are talking about God with the big "G", we are talking about....

Definition of god from merriam-webster.com

capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 7:18:42 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
God is unfalsifiable. That means God is defined in such a way that the universe would look exactly the same whether it actually existed or not.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2016 8:50:52 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 6:27:41 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 4/29/2016 5:34:59 PM, rnjs wrote:
What do you believe is the evidence that God does not exist.

Please ask your question in a way atheist will like,

Define believe as accepted without evidence, on pure blind faith, superstion

Define evidence as objective quantifiable material that has a scientific consensus as an explaination

Define God as Santa Clause sitting on a throne orbiting Earth at the edge of the atmosphere

LOL!

The answer is then ambiguous, and we all know when in doubt, go for false
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 1:57:30 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
The question here is whether God manifests in reality or not.

If not then he is unfalsifiable, so there can be no evidence for or against his existence.

If he does then those who assert this need to explain how, making him testable.

The onus to explain which one it is falls onto the person asserting he exists. If your God fits into the latter then tell us how we can test for him. If it is the former then just start the conversation off by admitting you have no evidence for your beliefs and save us the trouble.
Dogknox
Posts: 5,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 1:00:42 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/30/2016 1:57:30 AM, Double_R wrote:
The question here is whether God manifests in reality or not.

If not then he is unfalsifiable, so there can be no evidence for or against his existence.

If he does then those who assert this need to explain how, making him testable.

The onus to explain which one it is falls onto the person asserting he exists. If your God fits into the latter then tell us how we can test for him. If it is the former then just start the conversation off by admitting you have no evidence for your beliefs and save us the trouble.

Scientific consensus is: There is a design to the universe!!!
Scientific consensus is: The universe is to complex for it to all fall together by accident!!!
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 1:55:35 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/30/2016 1:00:42 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 4/30/2016 1:57:30 AM, Double_R wrote:
The question here is whether God manifests in reality or not.

If not then he is unfalsifiable, so there can be no evidence for or against his existence.

If he does then those who assert this need to explain how, making him testable.

The onus to explain which one it is falls onto the person asserting he exists. If your God fits into the latter then tell us how we can test for him. If it is the former then just start the conversation off by admitting you have no evidence for your beliefs and save us the trouble.

Scientific consensus is: There is a design to the universe!!!
Scientific consensus is: The universe is to complex for it to all fall together by accident!!!

A scientific consensus with no science.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,623
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 2:25:04 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 6:27:41 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 4/29/2016 5:34:59 PM, rnjs wrote:
What do you believe is the evidence that God does not exist.

Please ask your question in a way atheist will like,

No atheist here has ever made that request.

Define believe as accepted without evidence, on pure blind faith, superstion

Or, define believe as evidence based, such as believing the sun will rise each morning, either way is fine.

Define evidence as objective quantifiable material that has a scientific consensus as an explaination

Or, define evidence that are not just testimonials or beliefs.

Define God as Santa Clause sitting on a throne orbiting Earth at the edge of the atmosphere

Define God anyway you wish as long as you can support the definition with facts.

The answer is then ambiguous, and we all know when in doubt, go for false

Why not just show us your defined God exists, instead. Easy peasy, yes?
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 2:57:16 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 5:34:59 PM, rnjs wrote:
What do you believe is the evidence that God does not exist.

What do you believe is the evidence that werewolves don't exist?

God doesn't work in mysterious ways; he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 3:00:09 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 7:18:42 PM, user13579 wrote:
God is unfalsifiable. That means God is defined in such a way that the universe would look exactly the same whether it actually existed or not.

Theists don't concern themselves with silly things like the scientific method when they can just "know in their heart".
Dogknox
Posts: 5,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 5:48:16 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/30/2016 1:55:35 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 4/30/2016 1:00:42 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 4/30/2016 1:57:30 AM, Double_R wrote:
The question here is whether God manifests in reality or not.

If not then he is unfalsifiable, so there can be no evidence for or against his existence.

If he does then those who assert this need to explain how, making him testable.

The onus to explain which one it is falls onto the person asserting he exists. If your God fits into the latter then tell us how we can test for him. If it is the former then just start the conversation off by admitting you have no evidence for your beliefs and save us the trouble.

Scientific consensus is: There is a design to the universe!!!
Scientific consensus is: The universe is to complex for it to all fall together by accident!!!

A scientific consensus with no science.
Double_R You are WRONG.. The Science is the "Investigation"; and coming to the conclusion, there is even order in chaos!
Concluding after the investigation; a "DESIGNED ORDER" to the universe and all we know!
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 6:02:30 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/30/2016 5:48:16 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 4/30/2016 1:55:35 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 4/30/2016 1:00:42 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 4/30/2016 1:57:30 AM, Double_R wrote:
The question here is whether God manifests in reality or not.

If not then he is unfalsifiable, so there can be no evidence for or against his existence.

If he does then those who assert this need to explain how, making him testable.

The onus to explain which one it is falls onto the person asserting he exists. If your God fits into the latter then tell us how we can test for him. If it is the former then just start the conversation off by admitting you have no evidence for your beliefs and save us the trouble.

Scientific consensus is: There is a design to the universe!!!
Scientific consensus is: The universe is to complex for it to all fall together by accident!!!

A scientific consensus with no science.
Double_R You are WRONG.. The Science is the "Investigation"; and coming to the conclusion, there is even order in chaos!
Concluding after the investigation; a "DESIGNED ORDER" to the universe and all we know!

First of all, you don't understand science. The hallmark of science is test-ability. You can't test whether the universe is the product of some intelligent designer, all you can do is look at what nature produces and say "nah, nature can't produce that".

Second, there is no scientific consensus. For that to be the case it would have to be a scientific field, which if you understood the first thing about science you would understand that no such field exists. It is a philosophical conclusion, not a scientific one.
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 6:30:23 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Knowing that you don't know is the most scientific conclusion that there is.

Science was born out of the assumption that there is an Ultimate Reality. Science has also proved fairly conclusively that it is impossible to fully understand and know The Ultimate Reality.

Some people take "impossible to fully understand and know" as evidence of non-existence of an Ultimate Reality. The people who do this are perverse, and can't accept the fact that they themselves aren't God.

Some people take the "impossible to fully understand and know" as evidence for the fallibility of the tool we are using to measure, that is, the human being. These people are more honest, and will admit that, as far as knowing is concerned, they remain agnostic about The Ultimate Reality.

So the existence of God is not something that can be disproven. The people who think this are fools. Sure, there is evidence, but scientifically speaking this "evidence" reveals more about ourselves than it does about God. The existence of God is not something that can be proven either. There is tons of evidence, but scientifically speaking this "evidence" reveals more about ourselves than it does about God.

There is a big difference between the two positions, however. There is a great deal of support for the existence of God in the sheer amount of order you see in the Universe. At the same time, there is a great deal of support for the existence of God in the sheer amount of unpredictability there is in the Universe. To say that it is truth that there is God makes sense. To say that it is truth that there is no God makes little sense. Why? If you don't believe in God, you don't believe in truth to begin with, so anything you say can easily be dismissed as lies and deception. It's a position of ignorance.

Those who accept the existence of God are surely in the right. Those who are agnostic about the existence of God are honest about what they know. Those who deny the existence of God are usually self worshipers who are ignorant, petulant, or in most cases both.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
MasonicSlayer
Posts: 2,320
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 9:35:20 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 5:45:16 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 4/29/2016 5:34:59 PM, rnjs wrote:
What do you believe is the evidence that God does not exist.

God will need to be defined before this question can be answered.

To define God and climb each with ladders of understand too short too tall to reach the roof of such majestic truth, and I'm calling OSHA this sounds dangerous.
Dogknox
Posts: 5,072
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:37:00 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/30/2016 6:02:30 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 4/30/2016 5:48:16 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 4/30/2016 1:55:35 PM, Double_R wrote:
At 4/30/2016 1:00:42 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 4/30/2016 1:57:30 AM, Double_R wrote:
The question here is whether God manifests in reality or not.

If not then he is unfalsifiable, so there can be no evidence for or against his existence.

If he does then those who assert this need to explain how, making him testable.

The onus to explain which one it is falls onto the person asserting he exists. If your God fits into the latter then tell us how we can test for him. If it is the former then just start the conversation off by admitting you have no evidence for your beliefs and save us the trouble.

Scientific consensus is: There is a design to the universe!!!
Scientific consensus is: The universe is to complex for it to all fall together by accident!!!

A scientific consensus with no science.
Double_R You are WRONG.. The Science is the "Investigation"; and coming to the conclusion, there is even order in chaos!
Concluding after the investigation; a "DESIGNED ORDER" to the universe and all we know!

First of all, you don't understand science. The hallmark of science is test-ability. You can't test whether the universe is the product of some intelligent designer, all you can do is look at what nature produces and say "nah, nature can't produce that".

Second, there is no scientific consensus. For that to be the case it would have to be a scientific field, which if you understood the first thing about science you would understand that no such field exists. It is a philosophical conclusion, not a scientific one.

Double_R Science is OBSERVATION!!
The TEST is: NOT seeing Design or NOT seeing Chaos!
Science is: Understanding something as a FACT!!!
FACT: There is order in chaos; Order in the Universe, a complexity NOT accounted for except by a Intelligent designer!

Scientific consensus yes... All agree random coincidence cannot account for it's complexity!
rnjs
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 12:11:21 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 5:34:59 PM, rnjs wrote:
What do you believe is the evidence that God does not exist.

It's a simple question which no one seems to be able to answer simply, yet , i have seen many people assert that there is, or can't be a God so what reasons lead one to believe in His non existence.
For those who need an explanation, God is the uncreated creator of everything.
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,867
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 12:37:28 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/29/2016 5:34:59 PM, rnjs wrote:
What do you believe is the evidence that God does not exist.
I'm still here paying bills. If God existed then it'd be over already. God merely and currently chooses not to Exist in humanities reality. But that doesn't mean God doesn't exist in all of reality.
So essentially my proof for God not existing in humanities reality is the plan hasn't reached fruition. My answer to whether or not God will eventually be all existing is, dam I hope so I'm tired of not having fun every second.
Hence the duality of God needs duality for an explanation......that's my tongue and cheek answer.
dee-em
Posts: 6,474
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2016 2:03:10 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/2/2016 12:11:21 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 4/29/2016 5:34:59 PM, rnjs wrote:
What do you believe is the evidence that God does not exist.

It's a simple question which no one seems to be able to answer simply, yet , i have seen many people assert that there is, or can't be a God so what reasons lead one to believe in His non existence.
For those who need an explanation, God is the uncreated creator of everything.

Double_R gave you the definitive answer in post #9.

There can be no evidence against the non-existence of God. It's a contradiction in terms. The only evidence is the lack of evidence for his existence but that is a flawed conclusion (absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence).
rnjs
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 12:01:52 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/2/2016 2:03:10 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/2/2016 12:11:21 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 4/29/2016 5:34:59 PM, rnjs wrote:
What do you believe is the evidence that God does not exist.

It's a simple question which no one seems to be able to answer simply, yet , I have seen many people assert that there is, or can't be a God so what reasons lead one to believe in His non existence.
For those who need an explanation, God is the uncreated creator of everything.

Double_R gave you the definitive answer in post #9.

There can be no evidence against the non-existence of God. It's a contradiction in terms. The only evidence is the lack of evidence for his existence but that is a flawed conclusion (absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence).

It's not a matter of whether or not there is evidence, it's what people believe is evidence that he doesn't exist. People object to the concept of God for various reasons, some which are seemingly legitimate and others less so.
dee-em
Posts: 6,474
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 1:48:48 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/3/2016 12:01:52 AM, rnjs wrote:
At 5/2/2016 2:03:10 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 5/2/2016 12:11:21 PM, rnjs wrote:
At 4/29/2016 5:34:59 PM, rnjs wrote:
What do you believe is the evidence that God does not exist.

It's a simple question which no one seems to be able to answer simply, yet , I have seen many people assert that there is, or can't be a God so what reasons lead one to believe in His non existence.
For those who need an explanation, God is the uncreated creator of everything.

Double_R gave you the definitive answer in post #9.

There can be no evidence against the non-existence of God. It's a contradiction in terms. The only evidence is the lack of evidence for his existence but that is a flawed conclusion (absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence).

It's not a matter of whether or not there is evidence, it's what people believe is evidence that he doesn't exist. People object to the concept of God for various reasons, some which are seemingly legitimate and others less so.

I've just explained that you can't have evidence for the non-existence of something, even in principle. It doesn't matter what anyone may believe. If you could define that something and it had conflicting attributes then you could logically disprove it. But evidence? What possible evidence could there be that something isn't there?