Jump to topic:

Bible Study John 1:1-5

SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2016 11:56:34 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Feel free to post other translations for comparison.

I will start with this verse from The Authorized King James Version

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."

Interpretations and discussions are welcome.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
oo00
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 12:08:44 AM
At 4/30/2016 11:56:34 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."

Interpretations and discussions are welcome. : :

Not one Christian understands what the Word of God is.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 12:14:17 AM
Well, this topic is open to everyone to give their interpretation.

Have some charity, gnostic.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 12:17:24 AM

John is saying Jesus is the logos.
"The word of God" is the logos, not the Bible.
No one believed the Bible existed since day one.
On the other hand they did believe the truth of God had existed for an eternity.
Jesus had expressed that he understood the truth of God, the logos. Coming to a full understanding of the logos made him inseparable from the logos. As such, he also existed from the beginning.
In the beginning was the logos (word), not Jesus and the logos, just the logos.
Jesus did not co-exist with the logos, there was only the logos, and Jesus was part of it.
This was not Jesus the man, this was Jesus as one with God. This was the Christ.
The logos is the knowledge of God, complete and irrefutable, and Jesus is one with it.
Others will disagree.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 12:36:41 AM
Jesus hasn't been mentioned yet, so lets stick to what is being said here.
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 12:50:44 AM
At 5/1/2016 12:36:41 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Well, what do you think John is talking about, if not Jesus?????????
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 12:56:34 AM
At 5/1/2016 12:50:44 AM, Welfare-Worker wrote:

What does the scripture here say it is talking about?
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:03:21 AM
At 5/1/2016 12:56:34 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

Duh! John.
Or are you one of those literalist?
Welfare-Worker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:04:52 AM
At 5/1/2016 12:56:34 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

Yea. Make that "Duh! Jesus." Etc.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:05:44 AM
What is the meaning of the scripture that was posted in the OP?
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:06:29 AM
look at it word by word. Come on, help make this an edifying study. I can't do everything myself, I need participation here.
oo00
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:08:29 AM
Jesus hasn't been mentioned yet, so lets stick to what is being said here. : :

Are you a control freak like many other religious people are?
oo00
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:09:54 AM
At 5/1/2016 1:06:29 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
look at it word by word. Come on, help make this an edifying study. I can't do everything myself, I need participation here. : :

You can't do anything yourself. Without the Word of God, you wouldn't exist.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:12:15 AM
At 5/1/2016 1:09:54 AM, oo00 wrote:
At 5/1/2016 1:06:29 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
look at it word by word. Come on, help make this an edifying study. I can't do everything myself, I need participation here. : :

You can't do anything yourself. Without the Word of God, you wouldn't exist.

Sho 'nuff, that is definitely being said here.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:16:54 AM

The Quran says these verses are false.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:18:07 AM
At 5/1/2016 1:16:54 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

This isn't a topic about the Qur'an, this is a topic about the opening to the gospel of John.
oo00
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:19:03 AM

The Quran says these verses are false. : :

I didn't know the Quran could speak. Christians think the Bible can speak, too. I wonder where they get this idea?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:22:08 AM
At 5/1/2016 1:18:07 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

This isn't a topic about the Qur'an, this is a topic about the opening to the gospel of John.

You say we all worship the same God. I just gave you their point of view on the verse you provided. They reject it. It is meaningless.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:23:39 AM
At 5/1/2016 1:19:03 AM, oo00 wrote:

I didn't know the Quran could speak. Christians think the Bible can speak, too. I wonder where they get this idea?

So what are the theological differences between the 2 books

oo00
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:33:04 AM
At 5/1/2016 1:23:39 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

So what are the theological differences between the 2 books : :

Since neither book can talk, you have asked the right person who knows where the right answers come from.

Most of the ideas that Mohammed used to put in the Quran came from the religious fools who stole them from the Bible. Mohammed did get a few revelations but not anything important for future sake. He was like Leonardo da Vinci who got inspiration from the Word of God to draw pictures of war machines, planes, cars, etc.

Nothing in the Quran or the Bible will lead a reader to the Truth.
AWSM0055
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:34:17 AM

"In the beginning was the Word,

This immediately reminds us of Genesis 1:1, which implies that the "Word" has existed since the beginning.

and the Word was with God,

Pretty strait forward. The Word was with God, implying that the Word was coexisting with God since the beginning. Does this also imply that the Word had no creator? Probably, as existing since beginning implies that the Word had no beginning itself. Nonetheless, some could argue that the Word was the first creation in the beginning and therefore existed since the beginning.

Yet this creates a problem. If the Word was created and existed since the beginning while simultaneously with God, this implies that both the Word and God were created beings.

This scripture doesn't make this clear enough.

and the Word was God.

This is where it gets tricky. The sentence clearly states that the Word was God. Some suggest that this could be translated as "a God". While this is true, it would make more sense to translate this as simply "God" and not "a God", considering the previous sentences which imply the Word existed since the begging alongside God.

Nonetheless, accepting this sentence as true creates a plethora of problems for Christians accepting both the Word and God as seperate deities, as this is entirely contradictory to the gospels as we will see later in John 1:14 which says that the Word was the Son, which in turn was Jesus himself. The gospels will also make absolutely no sense when reading them in light of this scripture.

The same was in the beginning with God.

I guess John is simply reaffirming what he is saying.

All things were made by him;

This sentence reaffirms that the Word is God in these verses. Considering the context above, and considering that we know God created all things in Genesis, this directly says that the Word is God, and created all things, and was therefore not created itself.

and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Same as above.

In him was life;

This sentence says that in the Word was life. This implies that he was a life-giver, once again alluding to Genesis.

and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."

Pffft. I dunno. Chose a meaning for yourself.

"Evolution proves necessity is the mother of invention" - David Henson

"Calling my atheism a religion, is like calling my non-stamp-collecting a hobby" - MagicAintReal 2016

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Matt8800: "When warring men kidnap damsels of the enemy, what do they do?"

Jerry947: "They give them the option of marriage."

Matt8800: "Correct! You won idiot of the year award!"

http://explosm.net...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:37:34 AM
At 5/1/2016 1:33:04 AM, oo00 wrote:

Since neither book can talk, you have asked the right person who knows where the right answers come from.

Most of the ideas that Mohammed used to put in the Quran came from the religious fools who stole them from the Bible. Mohammed did get a few revelations but not anything important for future sake. He was like Leonardo da Vinci who got inspiration from the Word of God to draw pictures of war machines, planes, cars, etc.

Which truth? That the Bible predicted Islam step for step? The truth that you have a handfull of years left, then a nursing home, and a hopeless death?

oo00
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:39:10 AM
At 5/1/2016 1:34:17 AM, AWSM0055 wrote:

"In the beginning was the Word,

This immediately reminds us of Genesis 1:1, which implies that the "Word" has existed since the beginning.

and the Word was with God,

Pretty strait forward. The Word was with God, implying that the Word was coexisting with God since the beginning. Does this also imply that the Word had no creator? Probably, as existing since beginning implies that the Word had no beginning itself. Nonetheless, some could argue that the Word was the first creation in the beginning and therefore existed since the beginning.

Yet this creates a problem. If the Word was created and existed since the beginning while simultaneously with God, this implies that both the Word and God were created beings.

This scripture doesn't make this clear enough.

and the Word was God.

This is where it gets tricky. The sentence clearly states that the Word was God. Some suggest that this could be translated as "a God". While this is true, it would make more sense to translate this as simply "God" and not "a God", considering the previous sentences which imply the Word existed since the begging alongside God.

Nonetheless, accepting this sentence as true creates a plethora of problems for Christians accepting both the Word and God as seperate deities, as this is entirely contradictory to the gospels as we will see later in John 1:14 which says that the Word was the Son, which in turn was Jesus himself. The gospels will also make absolutely no sense when reading them in light of this scripture.

The same was in the beginning with God.

I guess John is simply reaffirming what he is saying.

All things were made by him;

This sentence reaffirms that the Word is God in these verses. Considering the context above, and considering that we know God created all things in Genesis, this directly says that the Word is God, and created all things, and was therefore not created itself.

and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Same as above.

In him was life;

This sentence says that in the Word was life. This implies that he was a life-giver, once again alluding to Genesis.

and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."

Pffft. I dunno. Chose a meaning for yourself.

Interpretations and discussions are welcome. : :

The Word of God is also known as the voice of the Lord, voice of God, word of the Lord, son of God, messiah, messenger, my servant David, breath of life, tree of life, etc.

The Word is technology that our Creator used to speak his creation into existence. It is also used to feed information from God's creation into the minds of all his created characters.
oo00
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:40:42 AM
At 5/1/2016 1:37:34 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

Which truth? That the Bible predicted Islam step for step? The truth that you have a handfull of years left, then a nursing home, and a hopeless death? : :

Religious people do not know what Truth is. It's something completely invisible to man.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:42:54 AM
"All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. "
oo00
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:45:24 AM
At 5/1/2016 1:42:54 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
"All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. "
Yes. That's correct. Everything was made through me according to your Creator's plan.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:47:25 AM
I swear, this entire forum is filled with trolls. >.<
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:48:11 AM
Can't even stay on a simple topic they so busy.
oo00
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 1:54:53 AM
At 5/1/2016 1:47:25 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
I swear, this entire forum is filled with trolls. >.< : :

Why are you getting upset with Me? You get all your thoughts and visible world from Me, so you shouldn't be upset at all.

I thought you knew what the Word of God was?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2016 2:03:49 AM
At 5/1/2016 1:40:42 AM, oo00 wrote:
At 5/1/2016 1:37:34 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

Which truth? That the Bible predicted Islam step for step? The truth that you have a handfull of years left, then a nursing home, and a hopeless death? : :

Religious people do not know what Truth is. It's something completely invisible to man.

Itching ears