Jump to topic:

I have a question to Christians

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2010 4:57:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
This has been bothering me for a long time and I tried to use google but I couldn't find a satisfying answer. I think we all know that Jesus prayed the entire nigh in one occasion (maybe more). Now how did he do it? I mean he told us not to be like parrots so reciting a prayer all night long is incorrect. Lets not even go to the extremes. What about ten minutes no five minutes of prayer. How does one pray for that long? I mean once you have said what you want to say, you're done. What else is there to do? Anyway please take your time because I honestly have no clue.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2010 4:58:36 PM
At 12/4/2010 4:57:20 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
This has been bothering me for a long time and I tried to use google but I couldn't find a satisfying answer. I think we all know that Jesus prayed the entire nigh in one occasion (maybe more). Now how did he do it? I mean he told us not to be like parrots so reciting a prayer all night long is incorrect. Lets not even go to the extremes. What about ten minutes no five minutes of prayer. How does one pray for that long? I mean once you have said what you want to say, you're done. What else is there to do? Anyway please take your time because I honestly have no clue.

night...Sorry I am in hurry.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2010 5:02:16 PM
Honestly, it's quite easy to pray for extended periods of time.

For instance, start with something general.

Think about poverty. Then, think about people you know who are impoverished. Then, think about the random homeless people you see on a daily basis. Then, think about all of the poor people you have read about in fiction and non-fiction stories. Then, think about the poor people of other cities and nations. Then, think about the nations as a whole, and how they are trying to combat poverty. Think of ways that you yourself try to help others. Ask for forgiveness for the times that you were not there to support someone else, and failed to give a homeless man a dollar on the street. Think about all of your sins in this respect, and ask each person you have wronged (in your heard) for utter pardon.

Then, the next issue arises. You can feel a scar on your finger. Think about the physical pain in this world, wars, battles, bloodshed, etc., and the process repeats. So many issues to discuss, so many intricacies!
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2010 5:03:35 PM
I'm not Christian, but I presume that communing with god is a spiritual experience that would be similar to the atheist's experience of meditating. You shouldn't have to say anything, although I'm sure charleslb is composing essays in his mind.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2010 5:11:54 PM
At 12/4/2010 5:03:35 PM, bluesteel wrote:
I'm not Christian, but I presume that communing with god is a spiritual experience that would be similar to the atheist's experience of meditating. You shouldn't have to say anything, although I'm sure charleslb is composing essays in his mind.

Ha. You're hilarious tonight, bro!
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2010 5:56:48 AM
At 12/4/2010 5:02:16 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Honestly, it's quite easy to pray for extended periods of time.

For instance, start with something general.

Think about poverty. Then, think about people you know who are impoverished. Then, think about the random homeless people you see on a daily basis. Then, think about all of the poor people you have read about in fiction and non-fiction stories. Then, think about the poor people of other cities and nations. Then, think about the nations as a whole, and how they are trying to combat poverty. Think of ways that you yourself try to help others. Ask for forgiveness for the times that you were not there to support someone else, and failed to give a homeless man a dollar on the street. Think about all of your sins in this respect, and ask each person you have wronged (in your heard) for utter pardon.

Then, the next issue arises. You can feel a scar on your finger. Think about the physical pain in this world, wars, battles, bloodshed, etc., and the process repeats. So many issues to discuss, so many intricacies!

That's a terrible response...Koopin is ashamed of you !!!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2010 10:50:48 AM
Long periods of prayer are usually meditative. Those who do the rosary are often in a meditative state like saying a mantra. During periods of despair i can see how constant prayer would provide consolation and inner peace.
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2010 11:14:32 AM

A) Were did you read "Jesus spent all night reciting", or is that an assumption on your part ?

B) When we pray we don't think of everything that should be said, But we learn "in Jesus there was no darkness", so he can easily pray for long periods and Get it right !

C) If you're looking to spend more time praying for the right things then you have to study and think more about your prayers.

D) I'll pray for you !
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2010 11:22:13 AM
How did Jesus pray when he is God.

Oh stuff it I give up.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2010 12:41:22 PM
At 12/5/2010 12:08:02 PM, innomen wrote:
At 12/5/2010 11:22:13 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Oh stuff it I give up.

Promise?

I'll do my best. Let me know when a Christian joins the site and I will bounce back!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2010 1:07:54 PM
At 12/5/2010 12:41:22 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Oh stuff it I give up.

Promise?

I'll do my best. Let me know when a Christian joins the site and I will bounce back!

I'm just curious as to why you're so fond of accusing/implicating people of being "fake" Christians? You've done this before which is why I'm asking.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2010 1:12:57 PM
At 12/5/2010 1:07:54 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Oh stuff it I give up.

Promise?

I'm just curious as to why you're so fond of accusing/implicating people of being "fake" Christians? You've done this before which is why I'm asking.

Good luck getting an answer!
'sup DDO -- july 2013
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2010 2:38:36 PM

Oh stuff it I give up.

Yea, that seems weird to me too. Jesus talked to himself? O.o
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2010 2:41:02 PM
At 12/5/2010 2:38:36 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Oh stuff it I give up.

ever heard of an internal monologue?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2010 2:41:55 PM
At 12/5/2010 2:41:02 PM, belle wrote:

Oh stuff it I give up.

What?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2010 2:44:52 PM
At 12/5/2010 2:41:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Oh stuff it I give up.

What?

http://en.wikipedia.org...

people talk to themselves constantly anyways :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2010 2:50:17 PM
At 12/5/2010 2:41:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Oh stuff it I give up.

What?
I would of thought you where the type to take drama. Guess I was wrong.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2010 8:51:23 PM

I agree with Innomen on this point. Mainly because I have experienced it for myself. The disciples asked Jesus what they should pray. He gave them the Our Father. The Rosary contains the Our Father and I have experienced more growth in my spiritual life while saying the Rosary then any other exercise I've seen in religion.

I have been able to look inside and answer honest questions about myself. It may sound weird but that is hard to do when just going through your day. It is for me anyway. I include prayers for others,nations and earth in general either before or after, and sometimes in between. But I end up focusing more on the subject and less on myself and what I should be doing. If I have a particularly troubling issue I will concentrate more on the situation during the Rosary, I was shocked and delighted at the insights i have gained on different situations while doing this. It almost seems to remove "YOU" and let the real authority come in and become established in your problems and your life.

The only bad thing is you can't stay in that state all the time. Sooner or later "you" are going to get back in the way and mess everything up. :)
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 4:21:26 AM

Oh stuff it I give up.

Promise?

For the same reason that I am fond of calling a glass of water a glass of water.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 4:22:29 AM
At 12/5/2010 1:12:57 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Oh stuff it I give up.

Promise?

Good luck getting an answer!

Have I ever left a question unawnsered?
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 10:29:13 AM

Oh stuff it I give up.

Promise?

he's a lot like Godsands in this respect, they both accuse members of this sight of not being Christians quite a lot. Godsands is always vague though and I haven't been able to get him to point fingers and explain why he thinks he has an idea of if someones faith is fake through the post here. Narcy simply makes the accusations to end discussions with a 'well I never..!' tone so he doesnt actually have to give an argument.

It's best to just ignore Narcy, and probably Godsands too but I haven't had the chance to try getting more out of Godsands on the topic yet so I haven't quite decided yet about him.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 10:40:03 AM

have you ever heard of a mind map? http://en.wikipedia.org...

it works as easy as that. when you pray and think your coming to a close end of all you have to think about and pray for on a topic, the general associations in your mind of what you think about with that topic or organize close to that topic in a broader or similar category would be where you could easily continue your prayers on.

for example what if I should pray for those with the option to choose abortion to choose life? as I pray for the holy outcome of that and for the spiritual lives perhaps of the young girls who are seriously considering it or young couples not yet married or that feel like there ready for that kind of commitment, in my mind I associate YEC with that topic because often preachers attacking evolution bring up abortion saying those who defend abortion need neo-Darwinism to defend it (if its just a fish at that stage..) so ones prayer might continue taking a turn to focus on for how people react to the teaching of evolution, what they take from it, ect....

there are so many topics attached to each other in little ways and large ways in our minds that it is all to easy to wonder from one to the other in our prayers.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 1:03:24 PM
At 12/6/2010 10:29:13 AM, Marauder wrote:

Oh stuff it I give up.

Promise?

he's a lot like Godsands in this respect, they both accuse members of this sight of not being Christians quite a lot. Godsands is always vague though and I haven't been able to get him to point fingers and explain why he thinks he has an idea of if someones faith is fake through the post here. Narcy simply makes the accusations to end discussions with a 'well I never..!' tone so he doesnt actually have to give an argument.

Please supply a link to when this has ever occured. I have always substantiated the claim. Just because the most important aspect of your life is a lie you have no right to accuse others of the same intellectual self-harm.

It's best to just ignore Narcy, and probably Godsands too but I haven't had the chance to try getting more out of Godsands on the topic yet so I haven't quite decided yet about him.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 4:15:07 PM
At 12/6/2010 4:21:26 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Oh stuff it I give up.

Promise?

For the same reason that I am fond of calling a glass of water a glass of water.

Please tell me the necessary and sufficient conditions of being a Christian.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 4:16:06 PM
At 12/6/2010 10:29:13 AM, Marauder wrote:

Oh stuff it I give up.

Promise?

Probably good advice.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 6:43:41 AM
At 12/6/2010 4:15:07 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Oh stuff it I give up.

Promise?

Faith in Jesus as some sort of prophet, saviour or supernatural agent is probably a good start.

We can reasonably infer that most Christians on this site do not have this, but simply regard Christianity as a social label to hide their self-hatred.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 8:43:23 PM
At 12/7/2010 6:43:41 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 12/6/2010 4:15:07 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Oh stuff it I give up.

Promise?

Faith in Jesus as some sort of prophet, saviour or supernatural agent is probably a good start.

We can reasonably infer that most Christians on this site do not have this, but simply regard Christianity as a social label to hide their self-hatred.

Name a few. I'm curios of your judgment.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 8:45:09 PM

How do you reasonably infer this?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 8:48:33 PM
At 12/7/2010 8:45:09 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

How do you reasonably infer this?

Easy. http://en.wikipedia.org...