Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

All religion the Same?

Kaman
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 4:54:12 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Isn't all religion essentially a way for all of us to accept and understand life? And isn't all simply a coping mechanism?

Are we still so egocentric enough to think that just because we begin and end, so does everything else?

Atheists seem to come in all shapes and sizes in regards to why they are atheists, but on a purely scientific level, the same amount of matter that has been in the universe is always the same from one form to the other. So in a way, we are all just part of a cycle.

In a way a reincarnation. But not in the Buddhist way. Just in a chemical way. Is it too hard for us to acknowledge that we are truly insignificant in the bigger picture and just be the best we can within our society?
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 5:05:18 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 4:54:12 PM, Kaman wrote:
Isn't all religion essentially a way for all of us to accept and understand life? And isn't all simply a coping mechanism?

Are we still so egocentric enough to think that just because we begin and end, so does everything else?

Atheists seem to come in all shapes and sizes in regards to why they are atheists, but on a purely scientific level, the same amount of matter that has been in the universe is always the same from one form to the other. So in a way, we are all just part of a cycle.

In a way a reincarnation. But not in the Buddhist way. Just in a chemical way. Is it too hard for us to acknowledge that we are truly insignificant in the bigger picture and just be the best we can within our society?

Nope. There is a correlation between different religions. Check it out.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 5:05:52 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Correlations

http://www.debate.org...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Kaman
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 5:15:10 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
What I am getting at is that all religions seem to accomplish a few major things: Hope/acceptance, order, explanation for our existence, and control.

Many people find religion is the worst of times, when they lose hope. They surrender their lives to a higher being, or to something bigger than us.

Other people, once losing a loved one, rather than accept that the person is simply gone, believe or find comfort in the idea that they may be able to find them again.

A majority of religions have a set of rules we must follow so that we don't live as barbarians. most cultures were founded on some sense of social order and adopt a largely singular religion.

And finally, almost all religions stem from or can easily be reflected in the social zeitgeist.

I assume everyone here is educated in the origins of multiple religions and is at least openminded enough to debate and conceded that we will never know the definitive answer.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 5:39:48 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 5:15:10 PM, Kaman wrote:
What I am getting at is that all religions seem to accomplish a few major things: Hope/acceptance, order, explanation for our existence, and control.

Many people find religion is the worst of times, when they lose hope. They surrender their lives to a higher being, or to something bigger than us.

Other people, once losing a loved one, rather than accept that the person is simply gone, believe or find comfort in the idea that they may be able to find them again.

A majority of religions have a set of rules we must follow so that we don't live as barbarians. most cultures were founded on some sense of social order and adopt a largely singular religion.

And finally, almost all religions stem from or can easily be reflected in the social zeitgeist.

I assume everyone here is educated in the origins of multiple religions and is at least openminded enough to debate and conceded that we will never know the definitive answer.

I disagree, but I've been part of 3 different belief systems. There is a reason suicide bombers blow themselves up. They have NO hope. There's a reason Muslim women set themselves on fire rather than face clitoris removal, beatings, and marital rape.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 5:40:49 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 5:15:10 PM, Kaman wrote:
What I am getting at is that all religions seem to accomplish a few major things: Hope/acceptance, order, explanation for our existence, and control.

Many people find religion is the worst of times, when they lose hope. They surrender their lives to a higher being, or to something bigger than us.

Other people, once losing a loved one, rather than accept that the person is simply gone, believe or find comfort in the idea that they may be able to find them again.

A majority of religions have a set of rules we must follow so that we don't live as barbarians. most cultures were founded on some sense of social order and adopt a largely singular religion.

And finally, almost all religions stem from or can easily be reflected in the social zeitgeist.

I assume everyone here is educated in the origins of multiple religions and is at least openminded enough to debate and conceded that we will never know the definitive answer.

Hindus who have Kaali Ma focus practice fromfear, not hope.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 5:41:53 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 4:54:12 PM, Kaman wrote:
Isn't all religion essentially a way for all of us to accept and understand life? And isn't all simply a coping mechanism?

Are we still so egocentric enough to think that just because we begin and end, so does everything else?

Atheists seem to come in all shapes and sizes in regards to why they are atheists, but on a purely scientific level, the same amount of matter that has been in the universe is always the same from one form to the other. So in a way, we are all just part of a cycle.

In a way a reincarnation. But not in the Buddhist way. Just in a chemical way. Is it too hard for us to acknowledge that we are truly insignificant in the bigger picture and just be the best we can within our society?

Only one God ever showed up, was seen, rose the dead, made an appearance in history, and told us the future.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Kaman
Posts: 4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 5:54:28 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
I'm looking at a broader level than that and not at isolated examples. Religion is surely the cause of more deaths nd suffering than anything else in this world since human have existed. In many cases thoughout history, (the crusades, the Spanish inquisition, Salem witch trials, Holocaust, The Troubles, etc) people have done horrific things with the hope of spreading a religion for the favor of the god or gods. A suicide bomber in today's radical islam is no different. He believes in the higher purpose of religion. He may lack hope, but he may also hope for favor among his god or for a chance to get to the better version of afterlife. It is presumptuous to speak on the level of hope of a suicide bomber.
Suicide bomber in WW2 were incredibly proud and died with great honor. Viking had to die in battle to get to Valhalla. Being sacrificed in many older South American religions was also a great honor, etc.

This is the point I am getting at, almost all religions offer something back, such as an afterlife.

Otherwise, there would be no reason for a suicide bomber to do what he does. Suicide bombers are not likely clinically depressed, they are incredibly loyal and are great believers. they acknowledge something higher than them selves is in control.

Again, like almost all religions. Hence my original question, isn't all religion essentially the same?
janesix
Posts: 3,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 8:58:45 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 5:41:53 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 5/6/2016 4:54:12 PM, Kaman wrote:
Isn't all religion essentially a way for all of us to accept and understand life? And isn't all simply a coping mechanism?

Are we still so egocentric enough to think that just because we begin and end, so does everything else?

Atheists seem to come in all shapes and sizes in regards to why they are atheists, but on a purely scientific level, the same amount of matter that has been in the universe is always the same from one form to the other. So in a way, we are all just part of a cycle.

In a way a reincarnation. But not in the Buddhist way. Just in a chemical way. Is it too hard for us to acknowledge that we are truly insignificant in the bigger picture and just be the best we can within our society?

Only one God ever showed up, was seen, rose the dead, made an appearance in history, and told us the future.

Prove it.

You can make up a story about anything, can't you?
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 9:21:33 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 8:58:45 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 5:41:53 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 5/6/2016 4:54:12 PM, Kaman wrote:
Isn't all religion essentially a way for all of us to accept and understand life? And isn't all simply a coping mechanism?

Are we still so egocentric enough to think that just because we begin and end, so does everything else?

Atheists seem to come in all shapes and sizes in regards to why they are atheists, but on a purely scientific level, the same amount of matter that has been in the universe is always the same from one form to the other. So in a way, we are all just part of a cycle.

In a way a reincarnation. But not in the Buddhist way. Just in a chemical way. Is it too hard for us to acknowledge that we are truly insignificant in the bigger picture and just be the best we can within our society?

Only one God ever showed up, was seen, rose the dead, made an appearance in history, and told us the future.

Prove it.

You can make up a story about anything, can't you?

Okay. Posted below.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 9:21:55 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Here ya go janesix.

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 9:38:27 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 9:36:53 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:21:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Here ya go janesix.

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

As expected, not a shred of evidence.

So you already read through both debates? Tell me my points.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
janesix
Posts: 3,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 9:40:51 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 9:38:27 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:36:53 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:21:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Here ya go janesix.

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

As expected, not a shred of evidence.

So you already read through both debates? Tell me my points.

You didn't have any points. It was a mishmash of nonsense. The same stuff you regurgitate in these forum threads.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 9:42:44 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 9:40:51 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:38:27 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:36:53 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:21:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Here ya go janesix.

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

As expected, not a shred of evidence.

So you already read through both debates? Tell me my points.

You didn't have any points. It was a mishmash of nonsense. The same stuff you regurgitate in these forum threads.

I'm calling you out Jane. You didn't read it.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
janesix
Posts: 3,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 9:44:12 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 9:42:44 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:40:51 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:38:27 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:36:53 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:21:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Here ya go janesix.

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

As expected, not a shred of evidence.

So you already read through both debates? Tell me my points.

You didn't have any points. It was a mishmash of nonsense. The same stuff you regurgitate in these forum threads.

I'm calling you out Jane. You didn't read it.

I skimmed both debates, which showed me I don't need to look at in detail because I've already seen it all here.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 9:47:24 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 9:44:12 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:42:44 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:40:51 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:38:27 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:36:53 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:21:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Here ya go janesix.

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

As expected, not a shred of evidence.

So you already read through both debates? Tell me my points.

You didn't have any points. It was a mishmash of nonsense. The same stuff you regurgitate in these forum threads.

I'm calling you out Jane. You didn't read it.

I skimmed both debates, which showed me I don't need to look at in detail because I've already seen it all here.

I provided you the info after you calling me a liar. Which points do you challenge and why?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
janesix
Posts: 3,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 9:54:11 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 9:47:24 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:44:12 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:42:44 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:40:51 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:38:27 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:36:53 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:21:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Here ya go janesix.

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

As expected, not a shred of evidence.

So you already read through both debates? Tell me my points.

You didn't have any points. It was a mishmash of nonsense. The same stuff you regurgitate in these forum threads.

I'm calling you out Jane. You didn't read it.

I skimmed both debates, which showed me I don't need to look at in detail because I've already seen it all here.

I provided you the info after you calling me a liar. Which points do you challenge and why?

I didn't call you a liar. I asked you to prove it. I don't think you're being disingenuous at all. I think you really believe it.

I will point out what I challenge in another post because it will take me more than a few minutes, and my nephew will be here soon.
janesix
Posts: 3,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 10:10:02 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 9:47:24 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:44:12 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:42:44 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:40:51 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:38:27 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:36:53 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/6/2016 9:21:55 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Here ya go janesix.

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

As expected, not a shred of evidence.

So you already read through both debates? Tell me my points.

You didn't have any points. It was a mishmash of nonsense. The same stuff you regurgitate in these forum threads.

I'm calling you out Jane. You didn't read it.

I skimmed both debates, which showed me I don't need to look at in detail because I've already seen it all here.

I provided you the info after you calling me a liar. Which points do you challenge and why?

Points I challenge from "Proofs of God Fail to be Sound":

Prophesy: I don't accept prophesy at all as proof of anything, the reason being that prophesies are too vague and could mean anything at any time period. Come up with one with an exact date and you might have something to really test.

Quotes: You are using quotes from the Bible to defend the Bible. Do you see how that doesn't work?

Sources: You are not using legitimate sources. YouTube? Crystalinks?

Anecdotes:Such as this:

"Here is an ex Muslim stating when he saw 666, which was written in Greek in the New Testament, he understood what it meant. The same symbols were used in Arabic. The Greek 666 read in Arabic, "bismillah", "In the name of Allah"."

Anecdotes are certainly not proof. Anyone can say anything.

Intelligent design: Evidence that may support intelligent design is not support for the Biblical God or Jesus.

"According to James Gates, Science Advisor to the President of the United States, the equations that are used to describe the universe in strings, are Binary Hammin's Self Error Correcting Computer Codes. "
fire_wings
Posts: 5,563
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 1:06:48 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
No. Muslim and Christanty is different.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 2:04:55 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 4:54:12 PM, Kaman wrote:
Isn't all religion essentially a way for all of us to accept and understand life? And isn't all simply a coping mechanism?

Are we still so egocentric enough to think that just because we begin and end, so does everything else?

Atheists seem to come in all shapes and sizes in regards to why they are atheists, but on a purely scientific level, the same amount of matter that has been in the universe is always the same from one form to the other. So in a way, we are all just part of a cycle.

In a way a reincarnation. But not in the Buddhist way. Just in a chemical way. Is it too hard for us to acknowledge that we are truly insignificant in the bigger picture and just be the best we can within our society?

No, all religions are not the same , they belong to the different rituals, deity attributions, and also different destinations in hereafter. The false religions deliver their followers to the hell, while the true religion to the salvation and heaven.
lotsoffun
Posts: 1,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 2:17:19 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/7/2016 2:04:55 AM, uncung wrote:
At 5/6/2016 4:54:12 PM, Kaman wrote:
Isn't all religion essentially a way for all of us to accept and understand life? And isn't all simply a coping mechanism?

Are we still so egocentric enough to think that just because we begin and end, so does everything else?

Atheists seem to come in all shapes and sizes in regards to why they are atheists, but on a purely scientific level, the same amount of matter that has been in the universe is always the same from one form to the other. So in a way, we are all just part of a cycle.

In a way a reincarnation. But not in the Buddhist way. Just in a chemical way. Is it too hard for us to acknowledge that we are truly insignificant in the bigger picture and just be the best we can within our society?

No, all religions are not the same , they belong to the different rituals, deity attributions, and also different destinations in hereafter. The false religions deliver their followers to the hell, while the true religion to the salvation and heaven.

What are the true religions, in your mind, of course?
uncung
Posts: 3,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 2:36:43 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
No, all religions are not the same , they belong to the different rituals, deity attributions, and also different destinations in hereafter. The false religions deliver their followers to the hell, while the true religion to the salvation and heaven.

What are the true religions, in your mind, of course?

Islam, what else?
lotsoffun
Posts: 1,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 2:51:12 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/7/2016 2:36:43 AM, uncung wrote:
No, all religions are not the same , they belong to the different rituals, deity attributions, and also different destinations in hereafter. The false religions deliver their followers to the hell, while the true religion to the salvation and heaven.

What are the true religions, in your mind, of course?

Islam, what else?

The insular mind can imprison a person. Let me know when you get out of jail.
missmedic
Posts: 390
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 5:27:40 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Most religions are the same, superstitious belief in a supernatural being that interacts with the natural world. Most religions ask you to commit actions based on belief not knowledge. Most religions require belief without question and make claims to knowledge no one can know. Most religions need money and want yours. Most religions use guilt, shame, fear and hatred as motivators and teaching tools. Most religions dislike other religions, but all religion have a distain for Atheists.
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 5:43:36 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/6/2016 5:05:18 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 5/6/2016 4:54:12 PM, Kaman wrote:
Isn't all religion essentially a way for all of us to accept and understand life? And isn't all simply a coping mechanism?

Are we still so egocentric enough to think that just because we begin and end, so does everything else?

Atheists seem to come in all shapes and sizes in regards to why they are atheists, but on a purely scientific level, the same amount of matter that has been in the universe is always the same from one form to the other. So in a way, we are all just part of a cycle.

In a way a reincarnation. But not in the Buddhist way. Just in a chemical way. Is it too hard for us to acknowledge that we are truly insignificant in the bigger picture and just be the best we can within our society?

Nope. There is a correlation between different religions.

= Fantasy!
user13579
Posts: 822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 6:33:02 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
They're all fairy tales. So, they're pretty much the same.
Science in a nutshell:
"Facts are neither true nor false. They simply are."
"All scientific knowledge is provisional. Even facts are provisional."
"We can be absolutely certain that we have a moon, we can be absolutely certain that water is made out of H2O, and we can be absolutely certain that the Earth is a sphere!"
"Scientific knowledge is a body of statements of varying degrees of certainty -- some most unsure, some nearly sure, none absolutely certain."