Some questions for the theists

Daedal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 6:15:33 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
I'm genuinly interested, and not seeking to make any points:

1. Were you brought up in an environment which would be descibed as strongly religious?

2. If so, do you still follow that religion/sect? (Treating the Christian sects as being separate)

3. If not, what made you change?

4. If you were brought up in an environment with little or no interest in religion, what caused you to embrace theism?

5. What might cause you to doubt your faith?

6. Do you accept evolution? If not, what would cause you to accept it?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 6:28:44 PM
At 5/7/2016 6:15:33 PM, Daedal wrote:

1. Were you brought up in an environment which would be descibed as strongly religious?
No

2. If so, do you still follow that religion/sect? (Treating the Christian sects as being separate)

4. If you were brought up in an environment with little or no interest in religion, what caused you to embrace theism?
Religious experiences

I doubt it all the time.

Yes
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 7:04:07 PM

No.

N/A

You're assuming all theists changed.

Because even though it was, as you describe it, a "little interest", it made sense to me.

If someone could present a convincing argument that a Catholic doctrine was wrong.

Yes.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 10:17:19 PM

No.

I believe God and the Bible.

Bible and its great wisdom and truth.

Faith means to me faithfulness to God, which is same as loyalty to God. I know if I have been loyal, there is doubt about it. And I want to be loyal to God, because I know He is good and Love as the Bible tells. I could become unfaithful, if I would lose my wisdom and reason.

It depends on what evolution means. I don"t believe species have developed form single species to modern variety by the mechanisms of evolution, because it is not proven or reasonable belief in my opinion.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 2:02:13 AM

No.

Most of the people in my area grew up going to "Christian" church once in awhile or had christian relatives. In other words it just becomes a label. So yes, I was not only exposed to Christianity but everything else, I mean everything so it's not like kids can't think for themselves and learn things. I chose to follow Jesus on my own accord, and still do. The spiritual principles are life and peace, I also look into other beliefs and religions, some I find interesting and others I find crap it just depends on what I observe and what I know of reality.

Observing spiritual reality, through eyewitness and application.

What would cause you to doubt what you witness?

I accept the truth about anything, I'm not discounting evolution and have no need to, but I also listen to the other side of the debate and I am open to more than one form of knowledge or theory.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 7:52:30 AM

My guardians were Christians, but not overly devout

No, but I don't decry it either

Couldn't accept that God would punish non-Christians, it didn't make sense.

I read books on Vedic philosophy and found them very thought provoking

creating life from non animate matter

Yes, but probably not in the way it is taught , as nothing is really conclusive yet, but do things evolve, Sure. Did everything evolve from a primordial soup, Not so Sure.