Total Posts:121|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Dinosaurs in the Bible

Redfordnutt
Posts: 222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?

Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?
janesix
Posts: 3,460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 2:09:13 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?


Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?
There are a lot of nails.
dsjpk5
Posts: 3,007
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 2:11:38 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

The same reason there's no reference to humming birds... Not important

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?

I doubt it.

Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

No. Why would it be?
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
Redfordnutt
Posts: 222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 2:18:48 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 2:11:38 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

The same reason there's no reference to humming birds... Not important

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?

I doubt it.

Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

No. Why would it be?

Because of the absurd, illogical, irrational and unproven claims it continues to make.

I suppose as long as there are deluded parents to indoctrinate their children then the Coffin lid will be left slightly ajar. Which is very sad indeed.
Redfordnutt
Posts: 222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 2:23:35 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 2:11:38 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

The same reason there's no reference to humming birds... Not important

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?

I doubt it.

Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

No. Why would it be?

At the time the bible was written people were ignorant about dino's, so how could they write about them? If it was a divine book they should know about them, but they dont.

Obviously this points to a book that is purely man made and is not divine.
dsjpk5
Posts: 3,007
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 2:32:45 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 2:18:48 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 5/13/2016 2:11:38 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

The same reason there's no reference to humming birds... Not important

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?

I doubt it.

Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

No. Why would it be?

Because of the absurd, illogical, irrational and unproven claims it continues to make.


So you've decided to change the subject????

I suppose as long as there are deluded parents to indoctrinate their children then the Coffin lid will be left slightly ajar. Which is very sad indeed.

????
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
dsjpk5
Posts: 3,007
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 2:34:44 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 2:23:35 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 5/13/2016 2:11:38 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

The same reason there's no reference to humming birds... Not important

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?

I doubt it.

Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

No. Why would it be?

At the time the bible was written people were ignorant about dino's, so how could they write about them? If it was a divine book they should know about them, but they dont.


Why should the Bible talk about dinosaurs????

Obviously this points to a book that is purely man made and is not divine.

Not at all. Since when is the focus of Christianity dinosaurs???????
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
Redfordnutt
Posts: 222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 2:42:27 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 2:32:45 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 2:18:48 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 5/13/2016 2:11:38 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

The same reason there's no reference to humming birds... Not important

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?

I doubt it.

Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

No. Why would it be?

Because of the absurd, illogical, irrational and unproven claims it continues to make.


So you've decided to change the subject????


I suppose as long as there are deluded parents to indoctrinate their children then the Coffin lid will be left slightly ajar. Which is very sad indeed.


????

You asked why would it be the (final) nail in the coffin for Christianity

I replied Because of the absurd, illogical, irrational and unproven claims it continues to make. What I meant is that the absurd claims Christianity makes has already hammered 19 out of 20 nails down, thus the bible ignoring a critical part of our earths history is just as absurb when you consider it is inspired by an omnipotent being. That absurdity is the final nail.
dsjpk5
Posts: 3,007
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 3:02:51 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 2:42:27 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 5/13/2016 2:32:45 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 2:18:48 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 5/13/2016 2:11:38 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

The same reason there's no reference to humming birds... Not important

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?

I doubt it.

Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

No. Why would it be?

Because of the absurd, illogical, irrational and unproven claims it continues to make.


So you've decided to change the subject????


I suppose as long as there are deluded parents to indoctrinate their children then the Coffin lid will be left slightly ajar. Which is very sad indeed.


????

You asked why would it be the (final) nail in the coffin for Christianity

I replied Because of the absurd, illogical, irrational and unproven claims it continues to make. What I meant is that the absurd claims Christianity makes has already hammered 19 out of 20 nails down, thus the bible ignoring a critical part of our earths history is just as absurb when you consider it is inspired by an omnipotent being. That absurdity is the final nail.

Since when is the Bible considered a comprehensive, anthropological history book?
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
JimDavis
Posts: 56
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 3:29:43 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 2:18:48 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 5/13/2016 2:11:38 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

The same reason there's no reference to humming birds... Not important

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?

I doubt it.

Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

No. Why would it be?

Because of the absurd, illogical, irrational and unproven claims it continues to make.

I suppose as long as there are deluded parents to indoctrinate their children then the Coffin lid will be left slightly ajar. Which is very sad indeed.

There are a few vague references to "behemoths" and "giants" and "dragons" depending on the translation. But nothing significant enough to indicate that those who lived in biblical times had to contend with dinosaurs. If you take the bible literally and are a young-earth creationist, then this could be problematic, since young-earth creationists generally think dinosaurs and humans as existing during the same time period, and according to fossil evidence, in the same geographic places.

Don't be too harsh on fundamentalist parents, though. They are usually victims of indoctrination and misinformation themselves. I used to believe that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time, though strangely I never really pondered or visualized what that might have been like.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 4:20:56 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?


Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

I'm a Atheist , and my head will not let me believe In dinosaurs. I wish I could . I would not argue with anyone about it . I don't know why.
keithprosser
Posts: 1,983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 4:25:57 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
I used to believe that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time, though strangely I never really pondered or visualized what that might have been like.

http://www.imdb.com...
Skynet
Posts: 674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 5:36:04 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 4:25:57 AM, keithprosser wrote:
I used to believe that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time, though strangely I never really pondered or visualized what that might have been like.

http://www.imdb.com...

Red helped Andy visualize that.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Skynet
Posts: 674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 5:41:59 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?


Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

"Look at Behemoth,
which I made along with you
and which feeds on grass like an ox.
16 What strength it has in its loins,
what power in the muscles of its belly!
17 Its tail sways like a cedar;
the sinews of its thighs are close-knit.
18 Its bones are tubes of bronze,
its limbs like rods of iron.
19 It ranks first among the works of God,
yet its Maker can approach it with his sword.
20 The hills bring it their produce,
and all the wild animals play nearby.
21 Under the lotus plants it lies,
hidden among the reeds in the marsh.
22 The lotuses conceal it in their shadow;
the poplars by the stream surround it.
23 A raging river does not alarm it;
it is secure, though the Jordan should surge against its mouth.
24 Can anyone capture it by the eyes,
or trap it and pierce its nose?
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
bulproof
Posts: 25,227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 6:11:47 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 5:41:59 AM, Skynet wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?


Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

"Look at Behemoth,
which I made along with you
and which feeds on grass like an ox.
16 What strength it has in its loins,
what power in the muscles of its belly!
17 Its tail sways like a cedar;
the sinews of its thighs are close-knit.
18 Its bones are tubes of bronze,
its limbs like rods of iron.
19 It ranks first among the works of God,
yet its Maker can approach it with his sword.
20 The hills bring it their produce,
and all the wild animals play nearby.
21 Under the lotus plants it lies,
hidden among the reeds in the marsh.
22 The lotuses conceal it in their shadow;
the poplars by the stream surround it.
23 A raging river does not alarm it;
it is secure, though the Jordan should surge against its mouth.
24 Can anyone capture it by the eyes,
or trap it and pierce its nose?

Did it miss the boat?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Geogeer
Posts: 4,253
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 3:01:20 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 2:23:35 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 5/13/2016 2:11:38 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

The same reason there's no reference to humming birds... Not important

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?

I doubt it.

Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

No. Why would it be?

At the time the bible was written people were ignorant about dino's, so how could they write about them? If it was a divine book they should know about them, but they dont.

Can you describe to me how dinosaurs figure into salvation history?

Obviously this points to a book that is purely man made and is not divine.

Well that is the most unique argument on here in a while...
Danb6177
Posts: 433
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 3:18:36 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?


Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

It is because dinosaurs existed before our creation. In genesis we learn that the earth once was, then became void, and then God created the creation you see today.

So dinosaurs existed in a creation prior to ours
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 4:20:29 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 3:18:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?


Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

It is because dinosaurs existed before our creation. In genesis we learn that the earth once was, then became void, and then God created the creation you see today.

So dinosaurs existed in a creation prior to ours

That is not said in the Christian holy book anywhere. You shouldn't make things up.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 4:40:51 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?


Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

No there is no mention of dinosaurs in the Bible.

I can only assume that is because they have had no direct effect on humanity, or of Jehovah's purposes for us and therefore not counted as worthy of being mentioned.

My own personal theory is that they were nothing but semi-autonomous mobile fertiliser factories creating and laying down organic compost to increased the fertility of the soil.

As I say that is my own personal theory but it fits in completely with the slow and careful way Jehovah has always worked in all he has done.
Danb6177
Posts: 433
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 5:02:31 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 4:20:29 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/13/2016 3:18:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?


Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

It is because dinosaurs existed before our creation. In genesis we learn that the earth once was, then became void, and then God created the creation you see today.

So dinosaurs existed in a creation prior to ours

That is not said in the Christian holy book anywhere. You shouldn't make things up.

It is written, albeit not so plainly as it can be. The bibles most commonly read are unfortunately interpreted by churches selling seats.

This is how we read the first parts genesis
1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.


This as read would imply that God created the earth and the heavens out of nothing and then moves forward into light and firmament animals people etc.. Its a sort of linear progression with no interruptions.

However when studying the Hebrew we see the word translated as "was". The word is
Hayah (its actually spelled different but I don't know how to make upside down Hebrew letters on a comp) This word is used 111 times in scripture. The most common use of the word is translated "become" or "became". In fact genesis 1:2 is the only place it is translated as "was "singularly. To become something it had to have already been. If it became void then before that it was not void

So we read again the verse genesis 1:2
1:2 And the earth became without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Now with the proper translation of the word we see that God created the earth and the earth had become void. It shut down. God then breathed life back into the earth.
He made His new creation.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 5:43:49 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 5:02:31 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 4:20:29 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/13/2016 3:18:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?


Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

It is because dinosaurs existed before our creation. In genesis we learn that the earth once was, then became void, and then God created the creation you see today.

So dinosaurs existed in a creation prior to ours

That is not said in the Christian holy book anywhere. You shouldn't make things up.

It is written, albeit not so plainly as it can be. The bibles most commonly read are unfortunately interpreted by churches selling seats.

This is how we read the first parts genesis
1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.


This as read would imply that God created the earth and the heavens out of nothing and then moves forward into light and firmament animals people etc.. Its a sort of linear progression with no interruptions.

However when studying the Hebrew we see the word translated as "was". The word is
Hayah (its actually spelled different but I don't know how to make upside down Hebrew letters on a comp) This word is used 111 times in scripture. The most common use of the word is translated "become" or "became". In fact genesis 1:2 is the only place it is translated as "was "singularly. To become something it had to have already been. If it became void then before that it was not void

So we read again the verse genesis 1:2
1:2 And the earth became without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Now with the proper translation of the word we see that God created the earth and the earth had become void. It shut down. God then breathed life back into the earth.
He made His new creation.

So all of the biblical scholars who have read what passes for the original scriptures were all wrong and you were right? Not to mention God had to recreate the sun, moon, and stars so he destroyed the entire universe to recreate it? That seems less than sensible, to say the least. Finally, if the entire world became without form and void as stated, all of the potential fossil evidence would also have been dissolved and there would be NO record of any life before the time God supposedly created all the life on the planet. Sorry. Your thesis doesn't stand up.
Danb6177
Posts: 433
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 7:38:52 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 5:43:49 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/13/2016 5:02:31 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 4:20:29 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/13/2016 3:18:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?


Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

It is because dinosaurs existed before our creation. In genesis we learn that the earth once was, then became void, and then God created the creation you see today.

So dinosaurs existed in a creation prior to ours

That is not said in the Christian holy book anywhere. You shouldn't make things up.

It is written, albeit not so plainly as it can be. The bibles most commonly read are unfortunately interpreted by churches selling seats.

This is how we read the first parts genesis
1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.


This as read would imply that God created the earth and the heavens out of nothing and then moves forward into light and firmament animals people etc.. Its a sort of linear progression with no interruptions.

However when studying the Hebrew we see the word translated as "was". The word is
Hayah (its actually spelled different but I don't know how to make upside down Hebrew letters on a comp) This word is used 111 times in scripture. The most common use of the word is translated "become" or "became". In fact genesis 1:2 is the only place it is translated as "was "singularly. To become something it had to have already been. If it became void then before that it was not void

So we read again the verse genesis 1:2
1:2 And the earth became without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Now with the proper translation of the word we see that God created the earth and the earth had become void. It shut down. God then breathed life back into the earth.
He made His new creation.

So all of the biblical scholars who have read what passes for the original scriptures were all wrong and you were right? Not to mention God had to recreate the sun, moon, and stars so he destroyed the entire universe to recreate it? That seems less than sensible, to say the least. Finally, if the entire world became without form and void as stated, all of the potential fossil evidence would also have been dissolved and there would be NO record of any life before the time God supposedly created all the life on the planet. Sorry. Your thesis doesn't stand up.

Biblical scholars are like scientists. They have a frame to work within.

The world being without form again is tricky. You see the word form as probably shape or something similar. The word here is this

08414 // wht // tohuw // to'-hoo //

from an unused root meaning to lie waste; TWOT - 2494a; n m

AV - vain 4, vanity 4, confusion 3, without form 2, wilderness 2,
nought 2, nothing 1, empty place 1, waste 1; 20

1) formlessness, confusion, unreality, emptiness
1a) formlessness (of primeval earth)
1a1) nothingness, empty space
1b) that which is empty or unreal (of idols) (fig)
1c) wasteland, wilderness (of solitary places)
1d) place of chaos
1e) vanity

The word" tohuw" hardly means shape of. The word here means that the world became empty on its surface, a wasteland if you will. This would not interrupt the fossil record at all or the earths age.

As for the sun and all. The universe would have been there. God said let there be light. What light? Day and night were made before verse 16 where scripture reads God "made" two great lights (sun and moon). So did God make day and night and then make the sun and moon? of course not, that would be silly.

Its not an easy task to go through the words in their original meaning. Its an arduous task that take years of time, however if you believe God has given us scripture, which I do, then its worth not believing any of it until you read the real words to develop a truth. I could just take a Catholics word on it but I know to many Catholics to believe God would entrust them with anything. So I study to find out what I believe.

The word in verse 16 that tells us God made the sun is this

06213 // hse // `asah // aw-saw' //
Again a bad pronunciation but I cant write Hebrew.

This word is used more than 200 times in the bible. It does mean to make but not necessarily to create. It means to put in the work, to accomplish, to bring about by doing something.

This is not crystal clear of course. I personally think it means that the universe was in place and when God set the things in motion for our new creation he was letting things already in existence be able to do their job again. He was doing a lot here in these verses. Pulling back waters, letting seed develop, setting up the firmament etc..

It would have been a mystical thing to witness. This is my understanding of scripture. Can I be wrong? sure I can. I don't think I am but perhaps one day I will find a theory to replace the one I believe now. We are all capable of being wrong.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 7:43:03 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 7:38:52 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 5:43:49 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/13/2016 5:02:31 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 4:20:29 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/13/2016 3:18:36 PM, Danb6177 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?


Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

It is because dinosaurs existed before our creation. In genesis we learn that the earth once was, then became void, and then God created the creation you see today.

So dinosaurs existed in a creation prior to ours

That is not said in the Christian holy book anywhere. You shouldn't make things up.

It is written, albeit not so plainly as it can be. The bibles most commonly read are unfortunately interpreted by churches selling seats.

This is how we read the first parts genesis
1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.


This as read would imply that God created the earth and the heavens out of nothing and then moves forward into light and firmament animals people etc.. Its a sort of linear progression with no interruptions.

However when studying the Hebrew we see the word translated as "was". The word is
Hayah (its actually spelled different but I don't know how to make upside down Hebrew letters on a comp) This word is used 111 times in scripture. The most common use of the word is translated "become" or "became". In fact genesis 1:2 is the only place it is translated as "was "singularly. To become something it had to have already been. If it became void then before that it was not void

So we read again the verse genesis 1:2
1:2 And the earth became without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Now with the proper translation of the word we see that God created the earth and the earth had become void. It shut down. God then breathed life back into the earth.
He made His new creation.

So all of the biblical scholars who have read what passes for the original scriptures were all wrong and you were right? Not to mention God had to recreate the sun, moon, and stars so he destroyed the entire universe to recreate it? That seems less than sensible, to say the least. Finally, if the entire world became without form and void as stated, all of the potential fossil evidence would also have been dissolved and there would be NO record of any life before the time God supposedly created all the life on the planet. Sorry. Your thesis doesn't stand up.

Biblical scholars are like scientists. They have a frame to work within.

The world being without form again is tricky. You see the word form as probably shape or something similar. The word here is this

08414 // wht // tohuw // to'-hoo //

from an unused root meaning to lie waste; TWOT - 2494a; n m

AV - vain 4, vanity 4, confusion 3, without form 2, wilderness 2,
nought 2, nothing 1, empty place 1, waste 1; 20

1) formlessness, confusion, unreality, emptiness
1a) formlessness (of primeval earth)
1a1) nothingness, empty space
1b) that which is empty or unreal (of idols) (fig)
1c) wasteland, wilderness (of solitary places)
1d) place of chaos
1e) vanity

The word" tohuw" hardly means shape of. The word here means that the world became empty on its surface, a wasteland if you will. This would not interrupt the fossil record at all or the earths age.

As for the sun and all. The universe would have been there. God said let there be light. What light? Day and night were made before verse 16 where scripture reads God "made" two great lights (sun and moon). So did God make day and night and then make the sun and moon? of course not, that would be silly.

Its not an easy task to go through the words in their original meaning. Its an arduous task that take years of time, however if you believe God has given us scripture, which I do, then its worth not believing any of it until you read the real words to develop a truth. I could just take a Catholics word on it but I know to many Catholics to believe God would entrust them with anything. So I study to find out what I believe.

The word in verse 16 that tells us God made the sun is this

06213 // hse // `asah // aw-saw' //
Again a bad pronunciation but I cant write Hebrew.

This word is used more than 200 times in the bible. It does mean to make but not necessarily to create. It means to put in the work, to accomplish, to bring about by doing something.

This is not crystal clear of course. I personally think it means that the universe was in place and when God set the things in motion for our new creation he was letting things already in existence be able to do their job again. He was doing a lot here in these verses. Pulling back waters, letting seed develop, setting up the firmament etc..

It would have been a mystical thing to witness. This is my understanding of scripture. Can I be wrong? sure I can. I don't think I am but perhaps one day I will find a theory to replace the one I believe now. We are all capable of being wrong.

Glad to hear you say that because you've had to do a lot of mental gymnastics to get to your point. You can't even spell the language but make pronunciations as if you are a scholar of ancient Hebrew and Koine Greek, the language most of the bible was actually written in. May one ask if you have fluency in either of those languages and whether or not the assertions of how many uses and translations are yours or if they originated with someone else? If with someone else, who so that I may peruse their research?
Danb6177
Posts: 433
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 8:21:05 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 7:43:03 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/13/2016 7:38:52 PM, Danb6177 wrote:

Biblical scholars are like scientists. They have a frame to work within.

The world being without form again is tricky. You see the word form as probably shape or something similar. The word here is this

08414 // wht // tohuw // to'-hoo //

from an unused root meaning to lie waste; TWOT - 2494a; n m

AV - vain 4, vanity 4, confusion 3, without form 2, wilderness 2,
nought 2, nothing 1, empty place 1, waste 1; 20

1) formlessness, confusion, unreality, emptiness
1a) formlessness (of primeval earth)
1a1) nothingness, empty space
1b) that which is empty or unreal (of idols) (fig)
1c) wasteland, wilderness (of solitary places)
1d) place of chaos
1e) vanity

The word" tohuw" hardly means shape of. The word here means that the world became empty on its surface, a wasteland if you will. This would not interrupt the fossil record at all or the earths age.

As for the sun and all. The universe would have been there. God said let there be light. What light? Day and night were made before verse 16 where scripture reads God "made" two great lights (sun and moon). So did God make day and night and then make the sun and moon? of course not, that would be silly.

Its not an easy task to go through the words in their original meaning. Its an arduous task that take years of time, however if you believe God has given us scripture, which I do, then its worth not believing any of it until you read the real words to develop a truth. I could just take a Catholics word on it but I know to many Catholics to believe God would entrust them with anything. So I study to find out what I believe.

The word in verse 16 that tells us God made the sun is this

06213 // hse // `asah // aw-saw' //
Again a bad pronunciation but I cant write Hebrew.

This word is used more than 200 times in the bible. It does mean to make but not necessarily to create. It means to put in the work, to accomplish, to bring about by doing something.

This is not crystal clear of course. I personally think it means that the universe was in place and when God set the things in motion for our new creation he was letting things already in existence be able to do their job again. He was doing a lot here in these verses. Pulling back waters, letting seed develop, setting up the firmament etc..

It would have been a mystical thing to witness. This is my understanding of scripture. Can I be wrong? sure I can. I don't think I am but perhaps one day I will find a theory to replace the one I believe now. We are all capable of being wrong.

Glad to hear you say that because you've had to do a lot of mental gymnastics to get to your point. You can't even spell the language but make pronunciations as if you are a scholar of ancient Hebrew and Koine Greek, the language most of the bible was actually written in. May one ask if you have fluency in either of those languages and whether or not the assertions of how many uses and translations are yours or if they originated with someone else? If with someone else, who so that I may peruse their research?

I think there are far more mental gymnastics in explaining common main stream biblical theories. Adam and eve being the first people created, a global flood, assumptions of the virgin mary etc.
I cannot spell Hebrew words on a computer because the letters are sometimes upside down, Otherwise I can spell them fine

I have no fluency in either Hebrew or biblical greek, however to be fair I have been studying the words in the bible that are Hebrew and biblical greek for over a decade now so although Im certainly not fluent I can recognize the words from the bible and the associate the meaning.

So where do I get the meaning from? Well one has to trust in something. Like I said I don't speak the language so I use a few sources to get my meanings of the words. In addition I find where in scripture these exact words are and how they are being used in each example. This way I can get a better meaning of what the word was supposed to mean when it was originally penned. This isn't an exact science of course but I think Ive figured a few things out this way.

The sources that I use are an interlinear bible with concordance of its own and a king james version bible. I use the strongs concordance as well for verification of possible meanings. I cannot say this is something only I believe. Ive been on apologetics forums for many years and have come across things similar. Usually from people who study the same way
TheWORDisLIFE
Posts: 1,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 9:14:21 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?


Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

Well, I guess that shows that modern day "Christians" do not read the Bible, nor do they know anything about the bible.

There are dinosaurs in the Bible.

Job 40:15-24

15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.
17 He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.
18 His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.
19 He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him.
20 Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play.
21 He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens.
22 The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about.
23 Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth.
24 He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares.

Isaiah 27:1 In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.

These are just a couple.

2 Esdras 6, also speaks of the creation of the dinosaurs.
TheWORDisLIFE
Posts: 1,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 9:17:28 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 2:34:44 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 2:23:35 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 5/13/2016 2:11:38 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

The same reason there's no reference to humming birds... Not important

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?

I doubt it.

Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

No. Why would it be?

At the time the bible was written people were ignorant about dino's, so how could they write about them? If it was a divine book they should know about them, but they dont.



Why should the Bible talk about dinosaurs????

You don't read the Bible one bit do ya? Dinosaurs are in the Bible! Yet you wouldn't know that because you only read a couple Scriptures on Sundays.

Obviously this points to a book that is purely man made and is not divine.

Not at all. Since when is the focus of Christianity dinosaurs???????

"Christianity" is garbage. Learn the history of "Christianity" and all the paganism it adopted.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 10:40:39 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?


Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

Genesis 6:4

Plus, dinosaurs were invented to make moneywith the incredible finds.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 10:41:52 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 2:18:48 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 5/13/2016 2:11:38 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

The same reason there's no reference to humming birds... Not important

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?

I doubt it.

Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

No. Why would it be?

Because of the absurd, illogical, irrational and unproven claims it continues to make.

I suppose as long as there are deluded parents to indoctrinate their children then the Coffin lid will be left slightly ajar. Which is very sad indeed.

Which claims?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Welfare-Worker
Posts: 1,175
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 10:55:45 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
The bible is not a geography book, a biology book, a world history book, it is a spiritual book, from the perspective of 'God's people's'.

No mention of the invention on the wheel.
No mention of the smelting of metal, copper, bronze or iron.
No mention of any man made inventions - not a single one that I know of.

It is a book about God, mankind, and their relationship, not unlike all of the other books of the world's religion.

We all know some Christians try to make it a science book, but it is not.
It does seem they have convinced some atheists that it is a science book, for Christians.
Most Christians would disagree.
dsjpk5
Posts: 3,007
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2016 11:16:32 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/13/2016 9:17:28 PM, TheWORDisLIFE wrote:
At 5/13/2016 2:34:44 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 2:23:35 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 5/13/2016 2:11:38 AM, dsjpk5 wrote:
At 5/13/2016 1:56:03 AM, Redfordnutt wrote:
Any Christians out there?

Why is there no reference to dino's in the Bible?

The same reason there's no reference to humming birds... Not important

Or is there some sort of metaphor or analogy that pertains to them?

I doubt it.

Isn't this the nail in the coffin for Christianity?

No. Why would it be?

At the time the bible was written people were ignorant about dino's, so how could they write about them? If it was a divine book they should know about them, but they dont.



Why should the Bible talk about dinosaurs????

You don't read the Bible one bit do ya? Dinosaurs are in the Bible

The word "dinosaur" is not found in the Bible. You may interpret it to be, but you really don't know.
! Yet you wouldn't know that because you only read a couple Scriptures on Sundays.

Obviously this points to a book that is purely man made and is not divine.

Not at all. Since when is the focus of Christianity dinosaurs???????

"Christianity" is garbage. Learn the history of "Christianity" and all the paganism it adopted.

False
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax