Jump to topic:

Atheism: Get women back in their place

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 4:20:42 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Men are physically superior to women. Men are naturally faster, bigger, more aggresive, thus what comes into play? Darwinism. Survival of the fittest. Control by the fittest. Control by the superior. Atheism at work.

Atheism is predominantly dominated by men. Why? It's an end to a means to supress women into the closet of complete and total submission.

http://www.salon.com...

"Sexism is pushing American women out of Atheism"

http://qz.com...

-There are two predominant reasons that can explain why sexism exists in the atheism movement. The first reason is the influence of social Darwinism. Philip Kitcher, professor of philosophy at Columbia University, wrote in The New York Times in 2012 that the first tenet of social Darwinism is the belief that "people have intrinsic abilities and talents (and, correspondingly, intrinsic weaknesses), which will be expressed in their actions and achievements, independently of the social, economic and cultural environments in which they develop." A concept such as "men are from mars, women are from Venus" is one version of such gender-essentialist, social Darwinist ideas.
In the atheism movement, social Darwinism has played out as the justifiable assault of women by (naturally) aggressive men. Buzzfeed"s Mark Oppenheimer detailed many accounts of alleged sexism, sexual assault and coercion in his excellent expos" on the atheism movement. "Some women say they are now harassed or mocked at conventions, and the online attacks"which include Jew-baiting, threats of anal rape, and other pleasantries"are so vicious that two activists I spoke with have been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder," he writes.
Oppenheimer also writes that James Randi, chair of annual atheist gathering The Amaz!ng Meeting (TAM), used biological essentialism to rationalize alleged sex crimes and sexual harassment. Randi"s comments were in response to accusations made by multiple women against Michael Shermer, founder of Skeptic magazine. "[Shermer] had a bit too much to drink and he doesn"t remember. I don"t know," Randi muses. "I"ve just heard that he misbehaved himself with the women, which I guess is what men do when they are drunk."
The idea that sexual harassment and violence is just "what men do" is the 21st-century atheist"s interpretation of the laddist maxim that "Boys will be boys." The same logic is manifest in statements that justify sexual violence on a woman"s behavior or style of dress.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 4:29:34 PM
What do you propose as the alternative? Religion isn't exactly a beacon of sexual equality either.

Yeah, I've heard of sexism and harassment issues within certain atheist circles and I find it as despicable there as I when I see it elsewhere.

Sexism has been a prevailing issue in all human cultures since antiquity, regardless of religious or arreligious leanings. Unless you make yourself aware of it, and consciously work to eliminate it, it will seep in to any subgroup of humanity. Atheism has no special balwark against this or other social ills.

Nor does religion but what religion has done, in many cases, is actually encode sexist policies within its religious doctrine. At least with atheist groups sexism can be identified as a problem and attempts made to eliminate it. Much harder in religious groups where it is integrated in their philosophical cornerstones.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 4:37:06 PM
At 5/16/2016 4:29:34 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
What do you propose as the alternative? Religion isn't exactly a beacon of sexual equality either.

Yeah, I've heard of sexism and harassment issues within certain atheist circles and I find it as despicable there as I when I see it elsewhere.

Sexism has been a prevailing issue in all human cultures since antiquity, regardless of religious or arreligious leanings. Unless you make yourself aware of it, and consciously work to eliminate it, it will seep in to any subgroup of humanity. Atheism has no special balwark against this or other social ills.

Nor does religion but what religion has done, in many cases, is actually encode sexist policies within its religious doctrine. At least with atheist groups sexism can be identified as a problem and attempts made to eliminate it. Much harder in religious groups where it is integrated in their philosophical cornerstones.

The U.S. was the beacon of Christianity holding at above or near 90% through most ofits history. Europe used to be the same. So guess where women got rights and equality? The Christian West. As secularism has grown women have become the victims of "the nature of men" as proposed by biology as a justifying variable. Where Christianity clsimed all were freed by Christ. We were all "children of the free", women are to be cherrished by their husbands, and men were "not to beharsh with their wives". Atheism simply has no such devine commands and is an excuse to give men back their sexual dominion.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 4:48:32 PM
At 5/16/2016 4:37:06 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

The U.S. was the beacon of Christianity holding at above or near 90% through most ofits history. Europe used to be the same. So guess where women got rights and equality? The Christian West.

Women achieved various successes in terms of rights in a variety of places throughout history. It was not limited to, nor some by special virtue of, "The Christian West."

There was plenty of religious opposition to Women's Suffrage in the US, stating that a woman's place was at home, and not in politics. I'd say it is more accurate that women achieved rights despite religious sentiment, not because of it.

As secularism has grown women have become the victims of "the nature of men" as proposed by biology as a justifying variable.

Incorrect. Women have always been victims of the nature of men. This is not a recent development caused by secularism.

Where Christianity clsimed all were freed by Christ. We were all "children of the free", women are to be cherrished by their husbands, and men were "not to beharsh with their wives". Atheism simply has no such devine commands and is an excuse to give men back their sexual dominion.

Were Atheism has no such divine commands, Christians don't appear to follow them where they do exist. I'd call it a wash on that front.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 4:50:49 PM

The U.S. was the beacon of Christianity holding at above or near 90% through most ofits history. Europe used to be the same. So guess where women got rights and equality? The Christian West. As secularism has grown women have become the victims of "the nature of men" as proposed by biology as a justifying variable. Where Christianity clsimed all were freed by Christ. We were all "children of the free", women are to be cherrished by their husbands, and men were "not to beharsh with their wives". Atheism simply has no such devine commands and is an excuse to give men back their sexual dominion.

Brontocraptor is being more ridiculous than usual, although it is interesting to see him trying to display his feminist credentials.
When did women get the vote in these Christian countries?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 5:17:51 PM
At 5/16/2016 4:50:49 PM, desmac wrote:

Brontocraptor is being more ridiculous than usual, although it is interesting to see him trying to display his feminist credentials.

When the appeal was made to the Christian conscience.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 5:19:39 PM

And before secularism was anything. Also at a time when the U.S. was 90%+ Christian. And then secularism came along and...we got the rape of Sweden, Denmark, Germany...

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 5:23:00 PM
At 5/16/2016 5:17:51 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

When the appeal was made to the Christian conscience.

This appeal wasn't don't when said "west" was established? Its interesting that such an appeal needs to be made rather than enforced from inception, if that was actually part of the goal.

But, since we both know it wasn't...

stating that some how the obvious secular ideas at the time where in conjunction with a Christian conscience is absurd.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Athomos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 5:26:28 PM
At 5/16/2016 4:20:42 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Men are physically superior to women. Men are naturally faster, bigger, more aggresive, thus what comes into play? Darwinism. Survival of the fittest. Control by the fittest. Control by the superior. Atheism at work.

Atheism is predominantly dominated by men. Why? It's an end to a means to supress women into the closet of complete and total submission.

-There are two predominant reasons that can explain why sexism exists in the atheism movement. The first reason is the influence of social Darwinism. Philip Kitcher, professor of philosophy at Columbia University, wrote in The New York Times in 2012 that the first tenet of social Darwinism is the belief that "people have intrinsic abilities and talents (and, correspondingly, intrinsic weaknesses), which will be expressed in their actions and achievements, independently of the social, economic and cultural environments in which they develop." A concept such as "men are from mars, women are from Venus" is one version of such gender-essentialist, social Darwinist ideas.
In the atheism movement, social Darwinism has played out as the justifiable assault of women by (naturally) aggressive men. Buzzfeed"s Mark Oppenheimer detailed many accounts of alleged sexism, sexual assault and coercion in his excellent expos" on the atheism movement. "Some women say they are now harassed or mocked at conventions, and the online attacks"which include Jew-baiting, threats of anal rape, and other pleasantries"are so vicious that two activists I spoke with have been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder," he writes.
Oppenheimer also writes that James Randi, chair of annual atheist gathering The Amaz!ng Meeting (TAM), used biological essentialism to rationalize alleged sex crimes and sexual harassment. Randi"s comments were in response to accusations made by multiple women against Michael Shermer, founder of Skeptic magazine. "[Shermer] had a bit too much to drink and he doesn"t remember. I don"t know," Randi muses. "I"ve just heard that he misbehaved himself with the women, which I guess is what men do when they are drunk."
The idea that sexual harassment and violence is just "what men do" is the 21st-century atheist"s interpretation of the laddist maxim that "Boys will be boys." The same logic is manifest in statements that justify sexual violence on a woman"s behavior or style of dress.

30 years "studying" evolution. Still doesn't understand the first thing about it.
Still clueless about what atheism is.

Who knows, maybe you'll get it by 2046.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 6:11:40 PM

Atheism is predominantly dominated by men. Why?

Perhaps from a combination of effects, Bronto.

1) For centuries, men have had better access to secular education;
2) Men are better encouraged to express dissenting views against popular opinion;
3) The right for men to dissent in religious patriarchies is well-established, while the right for women to dissent isn't even recognised in some religious traditions;
4) It's possible that the order and emphasis of cognitive development may differ by sex.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 6:46:02 PM

http://www.religiouscriticism.com...

"Any honest, thinking person reading through the bible cannot ignore the blatant misogyny and barbarity towards women, but most Christians are bible illiterates " they only hear the palatable verses from the pulpit and blindly accept that the bible emanates goodness.
The simple fact is, it doesn"t. Certainly, when you go to church, all you will hear is the message of love. And sure, those verses are in the Bible, but so are a litany of examples of intolerance " sexism, racism, homophobia and cruelty " that reflect the Hebrew society of that time.
Which begs the question, why take your moral code from only parts of the Bible? If you don"t agree that wives should submit to their husbands, women should be silent and dress modestly, or that the pain of childbirth is punishment for Eve"s original sin, (let alone, all of the sexual abuse) why hold the Bible in such high esteem. Surely, there are more modern works that better reflect your own moral code? Or perhaps, just perhaps, you already know what"s right and wrong, and don"t need a book to tell you that at all" -
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 6:49:47 PM
At 5/16/2016 6:46:02 PM, matt8800 wrote:

http://www.religiouscriticism.com...

"Any honest, thinking person reading through the bible cannot ignore the blatant misogyny and barbarity towards women, but most Christians are bible illiterates " they only hear the palatable verses from the pulpit and blindly accept that the bible emanates goodness.
The simple fact is, it doesn"t. Certainly, when you go to church, all you will hear is the message of love. And sure, those verses are in the Bible, but so are a litany of examples of intolerance " sexism, racism, homophobia and cruelty " that reflect the Hebrew society of that time.
Which begs the question, why take your moral code from only parts of the Bible? If you don"t agree that wives should submit to their husbands, women should be silent and dress modestly, or that the pain of childbirth is punishment for Eve"s original sin, (let alone, all of the sexual abuse) why hold the Bible in such high esteem. Surely, there are more modern works that better reflect your own moral code? Or perhaps, just perhaps, you already know what"s right and wrong, and don"t need a book to tell you that at all" -

So go ahead. Tell us which part of our infallable leader's teachings on womenhas your feather's ruffled.

matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:18:04 PM
At 5/16/2016 6:49:47 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

So go ahead. Tell us which part of our infallable leader's teachings on womenhas your feather's ruffled.

GENESIS
2:22 Eve created from Adam"s rib.
3:16 Eve cursed with painful childbirth and domination by husband.
4:19 Man marries two wives.
12:13-19 Abraham prostitutes wife.
19:1-8 Rape virgin daughters instead of male angels.
19:26 Lot"s wife turned into pillar of salt for disobeying god.
19:30-38 Lot impregnates his two daughters while drunk.
20:2-12 Abraham prostitutes wife " again.
25:1-6 Keeping many concubines is OK.

EXODUS
20:17 Wife as property.
21:4 Wife and children belong to master.
21:7-11 OK to sell daughters. Female slaves can be used for sex. Polygamy permitted. Unwanted female slaves can be set "free" without payment of money.
22:18 Kill witches.

LEVITICUS
12:1-8 Childbirth unclean, Women need to make atonement after childbirth.
15:19-32 Menstruating women are unclean.
20:10-16 Death penalty for homosexuality and various sexual transgressions.
21:7 Priests must not marry prostitutes or divorcees.
21:9 Burn daughters.
21:13-14 Priest must marry virgin, not "used" woman.

NUMBERS
1:2 Census lists only men " women do not count.
5:11-31 Fidelity test for women only.
30:1-16 Woman"s vow invalid unless approved by her father or husband.
31:17-18 Kill all except virgins. Keep virgins for yourselves.
12 Miriam punished for rebuking Moses.

DEUTERONOMY
20:14 Take women, livestock as plunder.
22:13-21 Stone non-virgin bride.
22:23-24 Stone rapist and rape victim.
22:28 Rape victim must marry rapist; rape victim"s father compensated for depreciation of his property.
25:11-12 Cut woman"s hand for touching foe"s penis.
24:1-5 Man can "send" wife from HIS house. Man must not marry "used" woman.
28:18 The FRUIT of your womb will be cursed " eclectic "pro-life" verse!

JUDGES
5:30 Women are spoils of war.
14:20 Samson gives wife to another man.
16:1 Samson visits prostitute.
CH 19 Concubine pack-raped and butchered.
21:10-12 Slaughtered all inc. women and children. Saved virgins for wives.
21:21 Abducted girls for wives. -

Should I go on? There is TONS more....
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:20:12 PM
At 5/16/2016 7:18:04 PM, matt8800 wrote:

GENESIS

EXODUS
21:7-11 OK to sell daughters. Female slaves can be used for sex. Polygamy permitted. Unwanted female slaves can be set "free" without payment of money.

LEVITICUS

NUMBERS

DEUTERONOMY
22:28 Rape victim must marry rapist; rape victim"s father compensated for depreciation of his property.

JUDGES

That would be zero quotes from Jesus Christ. Stoning of adulters was presented to Christ. He snubbed it as He did most all Jewish proposals.

matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:22:07 PM
At 5/16/2016 7:20:12 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

GENESIS

EXODUS

LEVITICUS

NUMBERS

DEUTERONOMY

JUDGES

That would be zero quotes from Jesus Christ. Stoning of adulters was presented to Christ. He snubbed it as He did most all Jewish proposals.

Well, at least we can both agree that the old testament is bullsh1t
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:23:48 PM

GENESIS

EXODUS

LEVITICUS

NUMBERS

DEUTERONOMY

JUDGES

Are you renouncing Judaism or Christianity here and are you sure why?

matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:25:23 PM
At 5/16/2016 7:23:48 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

GENESIS

EXODUS

LEVITICUS

NUMBERS

DEUTERONOMY

JUDGES

Are you renouncing Judaism or Christianity here and are you sure why?

Yes, for the same reason I reject Scientology, Mormonism, Islam, Hinduism, etc, etc....
Redfordnutt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 7:38:28 PM

I've only read the first paragraph but its clearly apparent you do not understand what an Atheist is.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 9:35:58 PM

Atheism- disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

What does holding such a belief have to do with someones view on women's rights?

Nothing.

A few sexist bigoted male chauvinists are atheists. Your point is?

The bible however says this about women;

I Corinthians 11:3

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God."

I Corinthians 11:8-9

"For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man."

I Corinthians 14:34-35:

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

The church has long been one of the biggest enemies of feminists.

http://people.opposingviews.com...

http://m.huffpost.com...

Many denominations are still openly sexist and prevent women from holding certain positions within their organization.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 9:44:15 PM
At 5/16/2016 9:35:58 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Atheism- disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

What does holding such a belief have to do with someones view on women's rights?

Nothing.

A few sexist bigoted male chauvinists are atheists. Your point is?

The bible however says this about women;

I Corinthians 11:3

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God."

I Corinthians 11:8-9

"For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man."

I Corinthians 14:34-35:

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."

The church has long been one of the biggest enemies of feminists.

http://people.opposingviews.com...

http://m.huffpost.com...

Many denominations are still openly sexist and prevent women from holding certain positions within their organization.

You've quoted Paul, and what you are actually quoting are letters to certain churches based on their own particular customs. I know this is hard for you to accept, but...women used to not have rights. I know! It's hard to believe, but it's true. Guess who gave them freedom...It's that guy you hate soooooo much.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 11:20:58 PM

Atheism is the rejection of your CLAIM that gods exist.
Dominate what?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 11:24:05 PM
At 5/16/2016 5:19:39 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

And before secularism was anything. Also at a time when the U.S. was 90%+ Christian. And then secularism came along and...we got the rape of Sweden, Denmark, Germany...
Citations projector boy.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 11:26:36 PM
Men are physically superior to women. Men are naturally faster, bigger, more aggresive, thus what comes into play?

I'm quite sure there are plenty of women who are physically and mentally superior to you bronty.

Darwinism. Survival of the fittest. Control by the fittest. Control by the superior. Atheism at work.

Hahahaha! Talking about yourself, again?

Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 12:05:43 AM

https://cdn.meme.am...
Meh!
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 12:20:07 AM
At 5/16/2016 11:26:36 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
Men are physically superior to women. Men are naturally faster, bigger, more aggresive, thus what comes into play?

I'm quite sure there are plenty of women who are physically and mentally superior to you bronty.

Darwinism. Survival of the fittest. Control by the fittest. Control by the superior. Atheism at work.

Hahahaha! Talking about yourself, again?

Your name isn't bronto. Now let me teach you how you "should" talk to yourself.

Example: "It's okay. It's okay. Oh who am I kidding? I have no eternal hope. Cue depression. Cue Prozak.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 12:55:37 AM

Dominate what?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:00:16 AM
At 5/17/2016 12:55:37 AM, bulproof wrote:

Dominate what?

Most all Atheists are men. Thus, it is obviously the need to oppress women and push them back into the box with a bulproof facepalm. And seeing you are a sexist bigot, you might as well turn atheist women into atheistic sex slaves(as you already planned to do). You're obviously a perverted, egolomanial, porchaminerical, beastialitariansic, testosteronic, blind, raccoon that simply wants to nibble on the fungus of mid toe. Correct?

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:02:07 AM
At 5/17/2016 1:00:16 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

Dominate what?

Most all Atheists are men. Thus, it is obviously the need to oppress women and push them back into the box with a bulproof facepalm. And seeing you are a sexist bigot, you might as well turn atheist women into atheistic sex slaves(as you already planned to do). You're obviously a perverted, egolomanial, porchaminerical, beastialitariansic, testosteronic, blind, raccoon that simply wants to nibble on the fungus of mid toe. Correct?

Dominate what?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:04:46 AM
At 5/17/2016 1:02:07 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/17/2016 1:00:16 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

Dominate what?

Dominate what?

Citation needed.

Jovian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 10:20:48 AM

What I am about to write now will be ignored by you but I'll do it anyway. When the West was more Christian, we had laws line LEGAL MARITAL RAPE and LEGAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE. So you're spewing rubbish.