Jump to topic:

Will misogyny bring down Atheist movement

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 5:16:02 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Will misogyny bring down the Atheist movement?

Movement?

-"The continuing debate over a murky sexual encounter at a 2008 convention for cheekily anti-establishment skeptics underscores a broader dilemma: How can a progressive, important intellectual community behave so poorly towards its female peers?"

https://www.buzzfeed.com...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Athomos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 5:32:25 PM
At 5/16/2016 5:16:02 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Movement?

-"The continuing debate over a murky sexual encounter at a 2008 convention for cheekily anti-establishment skeptics underscores a broader dilemma: How can a progressive, important intellectual community behave so poorly towards its female peers?"

As usual, your reasoning is really deficient. Even if the alleged facts were all true, that alone says nothing about atheism at large.

I would encourage you to get acquainted with the basics of logic before attempting to meet your daily quota of nutjob posts.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 5:33:17 PM
That would interfere with his ability to make meaningless connections and even more meaningless assertions.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 5:58:34 PM

Movement?

Bronto, I never thought I'd say this, but thanks for linking a great article.

I doubt you've read it past the first paragraph you quoted.

I doubt you understood it well enough to appreciate what it was exploring.

I doubt you care enough beyond achieving your daily quota of ignorant mischief.

I deplore the way you've sought to use it here.

But it's a good article nonetheless. It's worth reading. I commend it to fellow members.

And if you ever choose to read it in full, please feel free to ask a question about it. :)
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 6:09:00 PM
At 5/16/2016 5:58:34 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Movement?

But it's a good article nonetheless. It's worth reading. I commend it to fellow members.

And if you ever choose to read it in full, please feel free to ask a question about it. :)

Sure I do. Atheist men have become a group of cowards who weren't taught how to be men, so...they are usinga false ideological concept in a militant fashion in order to feel superior as per their darwinian mindset.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 6:17:56 PM
At 5/16/2016 6:09:00 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Movement?

Sure I do. Atheist men have become a group of cowards who weren't taught how to be men, so...
Aside from the fact that you confined this criticism to atheists, I generally agree with it.

I think patriarchies are cowardly. I think they've taught terrible examples of masculinity, and stifled any conversation about doing better. But religious patriarchies have enshrined secular patriarchies for millennia, so religion has had a significant role to play in the present state of affairs.

And for all that irreligion rejects religious tradition, it needs to work hard to escape the profound long-term influence of patriarchalism on culture.

I think that work continues, and that it's not confined to the irreligious.

they are using a false ideological concept in a militant fashion in order to feel superior as per their darwinian mindset.
You mean as opposed to inventing a bearded deity in order to feel superior as per their penis-worshiping desert tribe mindset?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 6:24:57 PM
At 5/16/2016 6:17:56 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Movement?

Sure I do. Atheist men have become a group of cowards who weren't taught how to be men, so...
Aside from the fact that you confined this criticism to atheists, I generally agree with it.

I think patriarchies are cowardly. I think they've taught terrible examples of masculinity, and stifled any conversation about doing better. But religious patriarchies have enshrined secular patriarchies for millennia, so religion has had a significant role to play in the present state of affairs.

And for all that irreligion rejects religious tradition, it needs to work hard to escape the profound long-term influence of patriarchalism on culture.

they are using a false ideological concept in a militant fashion in order to feel superior as per their darwinian mindset.
You mean as opposed to inventing a bearded deity in order to feel superior as per their penis-worshiping desert tribe mindset?

You'll actually have to quote our infallable leader or it's simply lips running on auto pilot.

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 6:31:08 PM

Movement?

Will allegations and convictions of Pedophilia bring down the Catholic church?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 6:32:53 PM
At 5/16/2016 6:24:57 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Movement?

You'll actually have to quote our infallable leader or it's simply lips running on auto pilot.

Since you have set the bar, which infallible leader were you quoting to criticism atheism?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 6:39:20 PM

Movement?

In other words, you'll quote outside Gospels when it suits you to vilify Muslims, or predict the end of the world, you'll quote outside Gospels when asserting that women should be submissive as you've done in previous threads, but you'll demand quoting only inside Gospels when holding Christianity to account for its treatment of women?

Pffft.

You know as well as I do, Bronty, that the submissive role of women is exhorted in Titus, Peter, Corinthians, Ephesians, Colossians, and let's not even talk about the treatment of women as chattels in the OT. Yours is a patriarchal faith by both canon and tradition.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 6:40:47 PM

Movement?

Will pedophilia bring down the Evangelical Christian movement?

http://www.salon.com...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 6:47:31 PM
At 5/16/2016 6:32:53 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Movement?

Since you have set the bar, which infallible leader were you quoting to criticism atheism?

You referenced our bearded deity, so go ahwad. Or was it just typical atheist lip service.

"We hate Christianity. All the love your neighbor, cherish your wife, and care for the poor crap is just pissing us off an infringing onour feelings!"

Did that about sum it up?

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 8:17:59 PM

Movement?

You referenced our bearded deity, so go ahwad. Or was it just typical atheist lip service.

Yes, referenced. Not quoted. The two are not synonymous.

"We hate Christianity. All the love your neighbor, cherish your wife, and care for the poor crap is just pissing us off an infringing onour feelings!"

Did that about sum it up?

No, its the fact you needed Christianity to tell you those things, and the obvious repercussion when you feel Christianity starts to "tell" you other things.