Jump to topic:

A quick moment of your time

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 6:35:30 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
I know that many of us on this forum don't pay attention to the remainder of the site.

In mid June there is the "site presidential" election. It is a popularity contest that happens every six months wherein somebody is elected who feels that they have authority to dictate how the site operates.

I'm of the opinion that this actually stifles the site and creates a worse atmosphere for discussion and debate - you know the thing we all come here for. An example of this was the "ambassadors" who would come in here and attempt to govern the discussion in here. It felt wrong to me that those who didn't actually invest time in here - except to attempt to artificially control this forum - should have any say.

Can this place be toxic? Sure sometimes. Can you get discussions here you wouldn't find elsewhere? Definitely. It is my belief that creating the right conditions naturally leads to the best outcome.

I have entered the race in order to change the very nature of the site governance so that this never happens again. Under my platform the presidency is stripped of any sense of power and merely exists to encourage participation in debate.

Let the debate and discussions flow. So long as everyone can maintain minimal decency speak, debate and enjoy.

So by announcing this here I know half of you will be inclined to vote for someone else. And I don't mind. This is the most dynamic forum on the site and you should have your say too.

All I can trust is that while I both agree and disagree with many of you on a regular basis, I have shown integrity in how I treat each of you and that you too want to continue to have free access to discussion in this forum without those who don't engage in this forum needlessly interfering because they know better.

Anyways, the vote is just under a month away. You can view my campaign here:

http://www.debate.org...

Other campaigns feel that the presidency should interfere more in the site, another even wants to bring back a virtual lynch mob (yes it used to exist) to ban people from the site. Both of these items are potentially severe negatives to this forum.

A vote for my platform is a vote to preserve our quirky little forum.

If you like my campaign and want to improve my chances to dismantle the presidency then vote in the current poll and friend me so that I know of your support (the polls can be easily manipulated). If you think I'm full of crud then read the other platforms and poll yourself under them. If you couldn't care less and are willing to bet that future presidents won't eventually change regulations affecting this forum, then just ignore the whole thing.

https://script.google.com...

Thanks for taking the time to read this. This is your site too.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 7:06:50 AM
At 5/18/2016 6:35:30 AM, Geogeer wrote:
I know that many of us on this forum don't pay attention to the remainder of the site.

In mid June there is the "site presidential" election. It is a popularity contest that happens every six months wherein somebody is elected who feels that they have authority to dictate how the site operates.

I'm of the opinion that this actually stifles the site and creates a worse atmosphere for discussion and debate - you know the thing we all come here for. An example of this was the "ambassadors" who would come in here and attempt to govern the discussion in here. It felt wrong to me that those who didn't actually invest time in here - except to attempt to artificially control this forum - should have any say.

Can this place be toxic? Sure sometimes. Can you get discussions here you wouldn't find elsewhere? Definitely. It is my belief that creating the right conditions naturally leads to the best outcome.

I have entered the race in order to change the very nature of the site governance so that this never happens again. Under my platform the presidency is stripped of any sense of power and merely exists to encourage participation in debate.

Let the debate and discussions flow. So long as everyone can maintain minimal decency speak, debate and enjoy.

So by announcing this here I know half of you will be inclined to vote for someone else. And I don't mind. This is the most dynamic forum on the site and you should have your say too.

All I can trust is that while I both agree and disagree with many of you on a regular basis, I have shown integrity in how I treat each of you and that you too want to continue to have free access to discussion in this forum without those who don't engage in this forum needlessly interfering because they know better.

Other campaigns feel that the presidency should interfere more in the site, another even wants to bring back a virtual lynch mob (yes it used to exist) to ban people from the site. Both of these items are potentially severe negatives to this forum.

If you like my campaign and want to improve my chances to dismantle the presidency then vote in the current poll and friend me so that I know of your support (the polls can be easily manipulated). If you think I'm full of crud then read the other platforms and poll yourself under them. If you couldn't care less and are willing to bet that future presidents won't eventually change regulations affecting this forum, then just ignore the whole thing.

My own opinion is never vote for anyone seeking office, as it only encourages them. However, could you explain how your presidency (if elected) would interact with the site moderators?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 7:18:34 AM
At 5/18/2016 7:06:50 AM, desmac wrote:

My own opinion is never vote for anyone seeking office, as it only encourages them. However, could you explain how your presidency (if elected) would interact with the site moderators?

There is only one moderator to the site - Airmax. He in essence has total authority on the site. As you can see he is pretty easy going and only steps in on egregious violations of conduct.

Under my campaign, the new office created (I called it a monarchy just for fun to differentiate it from the current presidency) would only interact with the moderator to the extent necessary for the functioning of the office.

Originally the president was a liaison between the users and the owner. Airmax was a past president whom they granted mod authority to. The owners don't care about the site and have no interaction with the presidency now. So now the self-governance of the site has felt that it must make up for the owner not being here and it is an easily abused position. I'm just looking to turn the presidency into a titular position that members can attempt to become through active participation in debate and voting.

I'm trying to throw away the garbage that has built up and return the site to be what it was meant to be. A place of enjoyment through open debate and discussion.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 7:44:43 AM
At 5/18/2016 7:34:32 AM, tarantula wrote:
I have no interest in voting for anyone, I don't know what the candidates are really like.

Sadly you wouldn't qualify. There are minimum participation requirements to avoid stacking the deck. You'very been here long enough, but you don't have enough votes and/or posts yet.

However pay attention. What happens there will affect this forum.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 8:18:23 AM
Good luck with your candidacy, George.

I'm of the view that the Presidency is an impotent sinecure, able to do morale-building and lead discussions about participation and culture, but having no real say in the governance or administration of the site. So I view it as a figurative position, not an executive one.

And if it's not an executive one it doesn't really need policy, just a suitable air of grandeur, fun and entertainment build on solid membership and good participation. And consequently, I don't mean to participate in the voting, except possibly in commentary, if there's something sufficiently funny to say, since I largely pursue my own interests and make my own fun.

Regarding your policy, I see no reason to believe that this forum is under threat from maladministration, since there's very little administration to start with. Almost any sensible pro-active administration could only improve the tone, focus and good will of our forum, and beyond ejecting the worst trolls and shutting down sock-puppets, administration seems uninterested.

If there were a threat to this forum, I'd imagine it's the loss of our smarter, good-spirited members who are looking for a better class of conversation. But I don't think we're in a disastrous state of brain-drain, and that's not a President's to change anyway -- it's a matter of site vision, owner commitment, and administrative activity.

I found the current incumbent okay as a President, but disappointing as a member in the only time I really interacted with him. I think you're a better member, George. Should you get the chair, I hope you'll remember to stay a good member. Really, that's important in figurehead positions, and I suspect that the current guy sometimes forgot.

Again, best o luck!
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 8:21:10 AM
At 5/18/2016 7:44:43 AM, Geogeer wrote:
At 5/18/2016 7:34:32 AM, tarantula wrote:
I have no interest in voting for anyone, I don't know what the candidates are really like.

Sadly you wouldn't qualify. There are minimum participation requirements to avoid stacking the deck. You'very been here long enough, but you don't have enough votes and/or posts yet.

However pay attention. What happens there will affect this forum.

If this forum falls by the wayside there are plenty more to pick up the slack, LOL!
Athomos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 10:09:28 AM

Even though we disagree on substantive religious matters, we do certainly agree on the paramount value of free speech, of which the notion of curated discussions is antithetical.

If you would be so kind to further elaborate on your platform, I just might be able to put down a vote for you.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 11:42:48 AM

I've always found you to be a polite, sincere guy who was open-minded and was willing to listen to others. I think the site could do a lot worse than you.

You have my vote.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 12:54:32 PM

Please don't bring the childish drama of the elections here, keep this crap where it belongs.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 1:03:48 PM
At 5/18/2016 12:54:32 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Please don't bring the childish drama of the elections here, keep this crap where it belongs.

The object is to keep it out of here permanently. However, this will be the only time I mention it.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 1:17:41 PM
At 5/18/2016 8:18:23 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
Good luck with your candidacy, George.

I'm of the view that the Presidency is an impotent sinecure, able to do morale-building and lead discussions about participation and culture, but having no real say in the governance or administration of the site. So I view it as a figurative position, not an executive one.

Agreed.

And if it's not an executive one it doesn't really need policy, just a suitable air of grandeur, fun and entertainment build on solid membership and good participation. And consequently, I don't mean to participate in the voting, except possibly in commentary, if there's something sufficiently funny to say, since I largely pursue my own interests and make my own fun.

Fair enough.

Regarding your policy, I see no reason to believe that this forum is under threat from maladministration, since there's very little administration to start with. Almost any sensible pro-active administration could only improve the tone, focus and good will of our forum, and beyond ejecting the worst trolls and shutting down sock-puppets, administration seems uninterested.

The best tone doesn't come from above, but from below. I found the forum ambassadors to actually lower the tone on here. Proper participation is the only way to go - lead by example.

If there were a threat to this forum, I'd imagine it's the loss of our smarter, good-spirited members who are looking for a better class of conversation. But I don't think we're in a disastrous state of brain-drain, and that's not a President's to change anyway -- it's a matter of site vision, owner commitment, and administrative activity.

Agreed. However, the best means of building committed members is to have people passionate about participation, not about rules and regulations.

I found the current incumbent okay as a President, but disappointing as a member in the only time I really interacted with him. I think you're a better member, George. Should you get the chair, I hope you'll remember to stay a good member. Really, that's important in figurehead positions, and I suspect that the current guy sometimes forgot.

The funny thing is that I don't really want the chair. I've got better things to do with my time. I want to fix the self governance of this site.

Again, best o luck!

TY. We seem to be of a similar mind...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 1:19:08 PM
At 5/18/2016 10:09:28 AM, Athomos wrote:

Even though we disagree on substantive religious matters, we do certainly agree on the paramount value of free speech, of which the notion of curated discussions is antithetical.

If you would be so kind to further elaborate on your platform, I just might be able to put down a vote for you.

I sent a friendship request. We can discuss via PM so that we don't further clog up the forum.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 1:21:50 PM

You have my support, G.

*FYI, you're not listed in the poll...
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 1:25:22 PM
At 5/18/2016 1:21:50 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

You have my support, G.

*FYI, you're not listed in the poll...

My campaign is not under my name, because I'm not running to be president. My campaign is for everyone to vote NOTA (none of the above) as a sign of revolt that they no longer support the presidency.

So my campaign is listed as NOTA.

Thanks for taking the time.
Athomos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 1:27:33 PM
At 5/18/2016 1:19:08 PM, Geogeer wrote:

I sent a friendship request. We can discuss via PM so that we don't further clog up the forum.

Thanks for the request.

I hope you won't take this personally, but I don't do Friends here. It's not because you're a Catholic. The rule applies uniformly across the board and I've rejected similar requests in the past.

Meanwhile, I'll take the time to read through the thread to sort out your platform. For now, it looks like I can stand behind it.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 1:30:17 PM
At 5/18/2016 1:27:33 PM, Athomos wrote:
At 5/18/2016 1:19:08 PM, Geogeer wrote:

Thanks for the request.

I hope you won't take this personally, but I don't do Friends here. It's not because you're a Catholic. The rule applies uniformly across the board and I've rejected similar requests in the past.

I was the same way.. No offence taken. The only reason that "friends" is useful is that it lets you sent messages for stuff like this rather than clogging up the forums.

Meanwhile, I'll take the time to read through the thread to sort out your platform. For now, it looks like I can stand behind it.

Thank-you for your consideration.