someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 11:38:05 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
thoughts on it
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 11:44:36 PM
At 5/18/2016 11:38:05 PM, someloser wrote:
thoughts on it

A person who does not believe in the supernatural will still have morals just like anyone else. Believing or not believing has nothing to do with morals.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 12:49:22 AM
thoughts on it

Some doctrine, definitions and context might be useful.

Here's the Humanist Manifesto of 2003 (replacing older manifesti of 1933 and 1973): [http://americanhumanist.org...]

And some commentary:

Secular Humanism
is an outgrowth of eighteenth century enlightenment rationalism and nineteenth century freethought. Many secular groups, such as the Council for Secular Humanism and the American Rationalist Federation, and many otherwise unaffiliated academic philosophers and scientists, advocate this philosophy.

Religious Humanism largely emerged out of Ethical Culture, Unitarianism, and Universalism. Today, many Unitarian Universalist congregations and all Ethical Culture societies describe themselves as humanist in the modern sense.

Secular and Religious Humanists both share the same worldview and the same basic principles. This is made evident by the fact that both Secular and Religious Humanists were among the signers of Humanist Manifesto I in 1933, Humanist Manifesto II in 1973, and Humanist Manifesto III in 2003. From the standpoint of philosophy alone, there is no difference between the two. It is only in the definition of religion and in the practice of the philosophy that Religious and Secular Humanists effectively disagree.

1. Humanism is one of those philosophies for people who think for themselves. There is no area of thought that a Humanist is afraid to challenge and explore.

2. Humanism is a philosophy focused upon human means for comprehending reality. Humanists make no claims to possess or have access to supposed transcendent knowledge.

3. Humanism is a philosophy of reason and science in the pursuit of knowledge. Therefore, when it comes to the question of the most valid means for acquiring knowledge of the world, Humanists reject arbitrary faith, authority, revelation, and altered states of consciousness.

4. Humanism is a philosophy of imagination. Humanists recognize that intuitive feelings, hunches, speculation, flashes of inspiration, emotion, altered states of consciousness, and even religious experience, while not valid means to acquire knowledge, remain useful sources of ideas that can lead us to new ways of looking at the world. These ideas, after they have been assessed rationally for their usefulness, can then be put to work, often as alternative approaches for solving problems.

5. Humanism is a philosophy for the here and now. Humanists regard human values as making sense only in the context of human life rather than in the promise of a supposed life after death.

6. Humanism is a philosophy of compassion. Humanist ethics is solely concerned with meeting human needs and answering human problems-for both the individual and society-and devotes no attention to the satisfaction of the desires of supposed theological entities.

7. Humanism is a realistic philosophy. Humanists recognize the existence of moral dilemmas and the need for careful consideration of immediate and future consequences in moral decision making.

8. Humanism is in tune with the science of today. Humanists therefore recognize that we live in a natural universe of great size and age, that we evolved on this planet over a long period of time, that there is no compelling evidence for a separable "soul," and that human beings have certain built-in needs that effectively form the basis for any human-oriented value system.

9. Humanism is in tune with today's enlightened social thought. Humanists are committed to civil liberties, human rights, church-state separation, the extension of participatory democracy not only in government but in the workplace and education, an expansion of global consciousness and exchange of products and ideas internationally, and an open-ended approach to solving social problems, an approach that allows for the testing of new alternatives.

10. Humanism is in tune with new technological developments. Humanists are willing to take part in emerging scientific and technological discoveries in order to exercise their moral influence on these revolutions as they come about, especially in the interest of protecting the environment.

11. Humanism is, in sum, a philosophy for those in love with life. Humanists take responsibility for their own lives and relish the adventure of being part of new discoveries, seeking new knowledge, exploring new options. Instead of finding solace [in prefabricated answers to the great questions of life, humanists enjoy the open-endedness of a quest and the freedom of discovery that this entails.

[http://americanhumanist.org...]

I neither disagree with this definition, nor object to anything in it. I agree with Edwords' point that whether humanism is or is not a religion is debateable, and have included descriptions of religious and secular humanism for both comparison and contrast.
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 1:28:57 AM
^^^ excellent

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:54:32 AM
At 5/19/2016 1:28:57 AM, someloser wrote:
^^^ excellent

Thanks, SL.

May I ask what are your thoughts on religious humanism and secular humanism?

Strengths? Weaknesses? Expected longevity? Cultural and/or intellectual significance?
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 8:01:50 AM
At 5/19/2016 6:54:32 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
^^^ excellent

Thanks, SL.

Strengths? Weaknesses? Expected longevity? Cultural and/or intellectual significance?

The secular variant has some good ideas, appearing to be a mix of utilitarianism and Voltaire-ish ideals. Plus, it somewhat fills the moralistic vacuum in atheistic circles, where vague appeals to "be a good person" or Nietzschean nihilism were the norm.

but, I doubt it will have much influence outside of its niche. If anything, other philosophies and prevailing cultural norms will likely influence it quite a lot, as its very vague nature would indicate (note how the manifesto spends more time outlining what it isn't than what it is).

don't expect much from the religious variant, given how it will very likely conflict with certain interpretations of texts, etc.

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 8:07:47 AM
At 5/19/2016 8:01:50 AM, someloser wrote:
At 5/19/2016 6:54:32 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
^^^ excellent

Thanks, SL.

The secular variant has some good ideas, appearing to be a mix of utilitarianism and Voltaire-ish ideals. Plus, it somewhat fills the moralistic vacuum in atheistic circles, where vague appeals to "be a good person" or Nietzschean nihilism were the norm.

but, I doubt it will have much influence outside of its niche. If anything, other philosophies and prevailing cultural norms will likely influence it quite a lot, as its very vague nature would indicate (note how the manifesto spends more time outlining what it isn't than what it is).

don't expect much from the religious variant, given how it will very likely conflict with certain interpretations of texts, etc.

Do you view yourself as a secular humanist? Do you see it as useful intellectually, or more a kind of sociopolitical place-marker for atheists?

The ideas are quite old. The oldest of them are pre-Christian, dating from the ancient Greeks, but saw resurgence and development in the Renaissance, and the subsequent Enlightenment. There's a parallel theme in the sramana tradition of Indian faiths (Buddhism, Jainism), though it's more mystical and doesn't (usually) count as modern (rational, natural) humanism.

But there was a time where virtually all modern humanists were either monotheists or deists. Some of our members mightn't like me saying so, but US constitution was founded on modern humanistic ideals, and so is the UN Declaration of Human Rights.
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 8:29:53 AM
At 5/19/2016 8:07:47 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
Do you view yourself as a secular humanist?
No, "moral agnostic" would be a better label. I lean towards nihilism (due to the is-ought problem), but can't claim to have a definitive answer.

Do you see it as useful intellectually, or more a kind of sociopolitical place-marker for atheists?
definitely. It allows for atheism (or, atheists) to take on some identity beyond just not being theists.

Some of our members mightn't like me saying so, but US constitution was founded on modern humanistic ideals, and so is the UN Declaration of Human Rights.
might contest the association with the Constitution (though even its pseudo-religious roots were "adjusted" towards something more humanistic over time), but agree on the UN influence.

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 10:33:02 AM
At 5/19/2016 8:29:53 AM, someloser wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:07:47 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
Do you view yourself as a secular humanist?
No, "moral agnostic" would be a better label. I lean towards nihilism (due to the is-ought problem), but can't claim to have a definitive answer.

Okay. I think I understand what moral agnostic might mean. What's your interest in secular humanism?

Do you see it as useful intellectually, or more a kind of sociopolitical place-marker for atheists?
definitely. It allows for atheism (or, atheists) to take on some identity beyond just not being theists.
Does that run the risk of simply being a figleaf for whatever the popular opinions of the day might be?

Some of our members mightn't like me saying so, but US constitution was founded on modern humanistic ideals, and so is the UN Declaration of Human Rights.
might contest the association with the Constitution (though even its pseudo-religious roots were "adjusted" towards something more humanistic over time), but agree on the UN influence.

Both might be true, SL. Religion is hard to nail down in the first place. There are ways in which the US has become more secular in its interpretations of the constitution, but also ways in which it has become more Christian-nationalistic.

As an outsider, it feels to me that it's pulling at its own mythology, and I feel that it has been for over a century now.
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 4:24:46 PM
thoughts on it

The philosophy of the intellectual and morally bankrupt spoiled child.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 4:29:51 PM
At 5/19/2016 4:24:46 PM, ViceRegent wrote:
thoughts on it

And your evidence to those assertions are?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 4:36:32 PM
At 5/19/2016 4:29:51 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
thoughts on it

get your head out your arse.

Well you did ask
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 4:38:45 PM
At 5/19/2016 4:36:32 PM, johnlubba wrote:
thoughts on it

Well you did ask

Hi John.

Indeed, and it seems with knowledge of the question (and presumably shared opinion as VR) neither of you have an insightful answer.

And, from what I can recall, you are both theists.

Probably a coincidence.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 4:44:20 PM
At 5/19/2016 4:38:45 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
thoughts on it

Well you did ask

Hi John.

Indeed, and it seems with knowledge of the question (and presumably shared opinion as VR) neither of you have an insightful answer.

Probably a coincidence.

I am just returning the favor of butting in on a post that is of none of my concern and then talking sh1t just like you did, and there is plenty more to come, watch this space.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 4:47:18 PM
At 5/19/2016 4:44:20 PM, johnlubba wrote:
thoughts on it

Well you did ask

Hi John.

Probably a coincidence.

I am just returning the favor...

No explanation needed, we have already established butting in for no reason is a purview you have.

of butting in on a post that is of none of my concern and then talking sh1t just like you did, and there is plenty more to come, watch this space.

Indeed. I am confident you will demonstrate just how right you are by engaging in all sorts of acts that you find deplorable when practiced by some one else.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 4:50:55 PM
At 5/19/2016 4:47:18 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
thoughts on it

Well you did ask

Hi John.

Probably a coincidence.

No explanation needed, we have already established butting in for no reason is a purview you have.

of butting in on a post that is of none of my concern and then talking sh1t just like you did, and there is plenty more to come, watch this space.

Indeed. I am confident you will demonstrate just how right you are by engaging in all sorts of acts that you find deplorable when practiced by some one else.

Right, I did find what you did deplorable, wanting to twist things so that I look like the oppressor when in-fact I am just retaliating to the oppressors. Like yourself.

Now get you head out your arse.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 4:53:45 PM
At 5/19/2016 4:50:55 PM, johnlubba wrote:
thoughts on it

Well you did ask

Hi John.

Probably a coincidence.

Right, I did find what you did deplorable, wanting to twist

I assure you, no twisting was necessary.

things so that I look like the oppressor when in-fact I am just retaliating to the oppressors. Like yourself.

So you in turn became an oppressor.

Your hand is still in the cookie jar, John.

ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 4:57:30 PM
If you let these atheist mental midgets talk long enough, they prove themselves worse than even I think of them.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 4:58:03 PM
At 5/19/2016 4:53:45 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
thoughts on it

Well you did ask

Hi John.

Probably a coincidence.

You call it an accusation I call it a false accusation and twisted.

things so that I look like the oppressor when in-fact I am just retaliating to the oppressors. Like yourself.

Damn right, I always retaliate to bully and idiots,

^^ as I said.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 5:01:31 PM
At 5/19/2016 4:57:30 PM, ViceRegent wrote:
If you let these atheist mental midgets talk long enough, they prove themselves worse than even I think of them.

An excellent position for which to begin discourse.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 5:03:38 PM

Agreed.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 5:04:02 PM
At 5/19/2016 4:58:03 PM, johnlubba wrote:
thoughts on it

Well you did ask

Hi John.

Probably a coincidence.

... um... think about that for a second, John. If I am describing your post as an "accusation", you describing it as a "twisted false accusation" is no better.

Damn right...

I accept your concession.

^^ as I said.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 5:13:18 PM
At 5/19/2016 5:04:02 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 5/19/2016 4:58:03 PM, johnlubba wrote:
thoughts on it

Well you did ask

Hi John.

Probably a coincidence.

... um... think about that for a second, John. If I am describing your post as an "accusation", you describing it as a "twisted false accusation" is no better.

Are you that dense that you don't know the difference between a truthful accusation and a false one, a truthful accusation is, not twisted and a false accusation is damn well twisted.

Damn right...

It's no concession it's a rightful retribution, people like you are stupid and need to be told.

^^ as I said.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 5:24:34 PM
thoughts on it

Well you did ask

Hi John.

Probably a coincidence.

Are you that dense that you don't know the difference between a truthful accusation and a false one, a truthful accusation is, not twisted and a false accusation is damn well twisted.

Jon, let me help you think through this.

I called "it" (your interjectory post) an accusation.
You call "it" (your interjectory post) a false accusation, and twisted.

Is this what you are wanting to express? Because as it stands, that is what your wording indicates.

Damn right...

It's no concession it's a rightful retribution, people like you are stupid and need to be told.

Mm. Clearly. And the most recent threads I have been engaged with you are hallmarks to that calling.

Please, proceed to show how correct you are by continuing to engage in all those things you hate. I don't think you are quite "right" yet.

^^ as I said.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 5:26:14 PM

When did you acquire the gift of thought, steggsy?>
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 5:57:48 PM
At 5/19/2016 5:24:34 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
thoughts on it

Well you did ask

Hi John.

Probably a coincidence.

Is this what you are wanting to express? Because as it stands, that is what your wording indicates.

I am saying that your accusation that I am also throwing around insults or attacking people for no reason, is false and outright stupid and you can never prove it, My first post is towards someone who did indeed attack me first, hence my sarcasm towards them which I feel is justified, as they didn't treat me with respect and neither shall I treat them with respect back. Ever, or maybe not ever, depends.

Damn right...

Mm. Clearly. And the most recent threads I have been engaged with you are hallmarks to that calling.

Please, proceed to show how correct you are by continuing to engage in all those things you hate. I don't think you are quite "right" yet.
No I have it right and you fail to comprehend, if people don't treat me with respect I won't treat them with respect, simple.

This might not mean much to you and may seem like A joke, but to me I take it personal and have always retaliated towards bullies or dis-respectful people in kind.

And please state any recent threads where either you or me have shown dis-respect to each other, I guarantee you can't. Excluding today of course.

^^ as I said.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:05:50 PM

I just can't get over this Christian love for their fellow humans. It's amazing how they can love everyone yet make sweeping negative generalizations about a group that just happens to not believe as they do. Doesn't look like love or respect to me. I've noticed that people who engage in such activity are generally lower on the intelligence scale than those who do not since the latter have better ways to express themselves.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:10:31 PM
Hi John.

Probably a coincidence.

I am saying that your accusation that I am also throwing around insults or attacking people for no reason, is false and outright stupid

OKay. So that would mean your "Bombastic Piece" (which I presume was aimed toward Ruv) had a reason for you to interject. From what I can tell, your sole reason for interjection stemmed from opining that his posts lacked any real meaning beyond being big words (which is bombastic defined), and that such language was used to cover for some variety of insecurity. You then summed it up with calling his posts jibber jabber. This is pretty pejorative, but continuing on...

and you can never prove it, My first post is towards someone who did indeed attack me first,

Ruv or BP post your interjection?

hence my sarcasm towards them which I feel is justified, as they didn't treat me with respect and neither shall I treat them with respect back. Ever, or maybe not ever, depends.

Damn right...

No I have it right and you fail to comprehend, if people don't treat me with respect I won't treat them with respect, simple.

No, you aren't quite right yet. Please, continue to engage in offensive behavior so we might find out how well engaging in offensive behavior demonstrates your "rightness".

This might not mean much to you and may seem like A joke, but to me I take it personal and have always retaliated towards bullies or dis-respectful people in kind.

"I can't understand it ergo you need to talk simpler" is hardly justification for your injection. Just thought I might point that out.

And please state any recent threads where either you or me have shown dis-respect to each other, I guarantee you can't. Excluding today of course.

I would be willing to wager that even today one would be hard pressed to find to much incivility. By one party, at least. Take a stroll down memory lane, tell me what you find.

^^ as I said.
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:16:30 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:05:50 PM, dhardage wrote:

I just can't get over this Christian love for their fellow humans. It's amazing how they can love everyone yet make sweeping negative generalizations about a group that just happens to not believe as they do. Doesn't look like love or respect to me. I've noticed that people who engage in such activity are generally lower on the intelligence scale than those who do not since the latter have better ways to express themselves.

Fortunately, we Christians do not have to concerns ourselves with how things look to you. We have a higher standard by one not mentally and morally reprobate.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:21:12 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:16:30 PM, ViceRegent wrote:
At 5/19/2016 6:05:50 PM, dhardage wrote:

Fortunately, we Christians do not have to concerns ourselves with how things look to you. We have a higher standard by one not mentally and morally reprobate.

Riiiight, and baseless, sweeping insults do so much credit to that standard. I'm sure that Jesus would be proud of you, no, wait, he was never rude to anyone except the moneychangers in the temple. Go ahead and show us how you're following his example again?