Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Guys, dumb it down a little hey. its religion

Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 10:00:35 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
Don't even try to say you get involved for the discussion.
Don't go there .
Don't say you do it to learn new things.
This has been going on for centuries. And the score remains ( nil - nil. )
No person is closer to proving nor disproving a God then they have been in 2000 plus years.
You all argue to justify the position you have put yourselves in. And not a thing more.
Not one of you can see a resolution. There can be no 100% proof. It's only you that keeps the score.
You discuss / argue for no one but yourself. And your so called piece of mind.
Atheists and Christians find themselves in battle for the label Atheists and Christians.
And as long as Atheism and Christianity and the rest continue to battle as they have been from the day the words where put fourth. And taking into account the outcome of every single discussion argument thus far. The one true position on a such a circular argument we should all be occupying is labeled. AGNOSTICISM. : an intellectual doctrine or attitude affirming the uncertainty of all claims to ultimate knowledge.

I'll leave it to you lot to fight it out strengthen Agnosticism . Thanks
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 10:28:39 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 10:00:35 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Don't even try to say you get involved for the discussion.
Don't go there .
Don't say you do it to learn new things.
This has been going on for centuries. And the score remains ( nil - nil. )
No person is closer to proving nor disproving a God then they have been in 2000 plus years.
You all argue to justify the position you have put yourselves in. And not a thing more.
Not one of you can see a resolution. There can be no 100% proof. It's only you that keeps the score.
You discuss / argue for no one but yourself. And your so called piece of mind.
Atheists and Christians find themselves in battle for the label Atheists and Christians.
And as long as Atheism and Christianity and the rest continue to battle as they have been from the day the words where put fourth. And taking into account the outcome of every single discussion argument thus far. The one true position on a such a circular argument we should all be occupying is labeled. AGNOSTICISM. : an intellectual doctrine or attitude affirming the uncertainty of all claims to ultimate knowledge.

I'll leave it to you lot to fight it out strengthen Agnosticism . Thanks

An interesting perspective, Db8-a-))8:3

[The last was my attempt to draw a moo-cow in ASCII. :(]

I don't know if you're aware, but you're capturing much of the thought of Thomas Henry Huxley, the 19th century biologist and supporter of evolution who coined the term 'agnosticism', and which views he articulated in his essay on the subject. [http://www.gutenberg.org...]

I like his essay, if only because it presents a stronger picture of agnosticism than the indecisive form many people now understand it to mean. I don't know how it came to mean something less than once it did, but Huxley was already complaining about the priest Henry Wace [https://en.wikipedia.org...] seeking to dilute its meaning, even as he was explaining it.

I also think that, a century later, we have more insights to offer than Huxley then had. I think we can say more about the validity and veracity of religious claims, and while religious apologetics will always seek to evade accountability for ignorance and error, we can nevertheless present sound arguments that theistic claims are not simply unknowable, but variously invalid, erroneous and (in some cases) immoral -- and therefore worthy of outright and permanent rejection on either intellectual and/or ethical grounds.

And once you reach the point of outright, permanent rejection I don't think we're in the position of 'no knowledge' so much as 'better knowledge'. And that's really what atheism is, in its positive form at least: a claim to better knowledge, not necessarily absolute knowledge.
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 4:01:26 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 10:00:35 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Don't even try to say you get involved for the discussion.
Don't go there .
Don't say you do it to learn new things.
This has been going on for centuries. And the score remains ( nil - nil. )
No person is closer to proving nor disproving a God then they have been in 2000 plus years.
You all argue to justify the position you have put yourselves in. And not a thing more.
Not one of you can see a resolution. There can be no 100% proof. It's only you that keeps the score.
You discuss / argue for no one but yourself. And your so called piece of mind.
Atheists and Christians find themselves in battle for the label Atheists and Christians.
And as long as Atheism and Christianity and the rest continue to battle as they have been from the day the words where put fourth. And taking into account the outcome of every single discussion argument thus far. The one true position on a such a circular argument we should all be occupying is labeled. AGNOSTICISM. : an intellectual doctrine or attitude affirming the uncertainty of all claims to ultimate knowledge.

I'll leave it to you lot to fight it out strengthen Agnosticism . Thanks

There is no "strength" in agnosticism, to be straddled on the fence line claiming nothing as your guide is anything but certainty or strength, rather by definition you admit you know nothing, that nothing can be known. I give you merit in that atheism is a closed circuit and being agnostic leaves you room to breathe but don't go around flaunting and pretending agnosticism has any strength or substance other than it doesn't know anything, doesn't claim anything so it pretends to be open yet embraces nothing, so how can you ever find any truth Deb8?? to claim nothing can be known??

You claim neither "faith" nor disbelief in God so what have you gained? If you take a position that tells your mind nothing about God could be known you are no better off than the atheist who just shuts the door on anything outside the box of materialism. The point was for you to get involved, get you outside your box, stretch your potential to the limits and move those things that hinder your progress through application and observation, but you are too busy shutting the door rather then opening it, why? why are you afraid to step forward?

Do you really get involved for the discussion? the discussion of the existence of God? do you really want to learn new things?? Have you taken into account all things that have been discussed? I don't know Deb8, you won't give me any room to show you things or walk deeper with you, until you do that you will just claim you can know nothing, what a waste...
Axonly
Posts: 1,802
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 4:14:26 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 10:00:35 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Don't even try to say you get involved for the discussion.
Don't go there .
Don't say you do it to learn new things.
This has been going on for centuries. And the score remains ( nil - nil. )
No person is closer to proving nor disproving a God then they have been in 2000 plus years.
You all argue to justify the position you have put yourselves in. And not a thing more.
Not one of you can see a resolution. There can be no 100% proof. It's only you that keeps the score.
You discuss / argue for no one but yourself. And your so called piece of mind.
Atheists and Christians find themselves in battle for the label Atheists and Christians.
And as long as Atheism and Christianity and the rest continue to battle as they have been from the day the words where put fourth. And taking into account the outcome of every single discussion argument thus far. The one true position on a such a circular argument we should all be occupying is labeled. AGNOSTICISM. : an intellectual doctrine or attitude affirming the uncertainty of all claims to ultimate knowledge.

I'll leave it to you lot to fight it out strengthen Agnosticism . Thanks

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT
Meh!
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 5:04:11 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/20/2016 4:14:26 AM, Axonly wrote:
At 5/19/2016 10:00:35 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Don't even try to say you get involved for the discussion.
Don't go there .
Don't say you do it to learn new things.
This has been going on for centuries. And the score remains ( nil - nil. )
No person is closer to proving nor disproving a God then they have been in 2000 plus years.
You all argue to justify the position you have put yourselves in. And not a thing more.
Not one of you can see a resolution. There can be no 100% proof. It's only you that keeps the score.
You discuss / argue for no one but yourself. And your so called piece of mind.
Atheists and Christians find themselves in battle for the label Atheists and Christians.
And as long as Atheism and Christianity and the rest continue to battle as they have been from the day the words where put fourth. And taking into account the outcome of every single discussion argument thus far. The one true position on a such a circular argument we should all be occupying is labeled. AGNOSTICISM. : an intellectual doctrine or attitude affirming the uncertainty of all claims to ultimate knowledge.

I'll leave it to you lot to fight it out strengthen Agnosticism . Thanks

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Agnostic- a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.
a person who does not believe or is unsure of something.....

Fight- to contend against in or as if in battle or physical combat, to be involved in, to defeat an enemy, etc. : to struggle in battle or physical combat, to put forth a determined effort
to gain by struggle
to resolve by struggle

Sorry, but the two cannot go hand in hand...
Skyangel
Posts: 8,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 10:17:13 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 10:00:35 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
Don't even try to say you get involved for the discussion.
Don't go there .
Don't say you do it to learn new things.
This has been going on for centuries. And the score remains ( nil - nil. )
No person is closer to proving nor disproving a God then they have been in 2000 plus years.
You all argue to justify the position you have put yourselves in. And not a thing more.
Not one of you can see a resolution. There can be no 100% proof. It's only you that keeps the score.
You discuss / argue for no one but yourself. And your so called piece of mind.
Atheists and Christians find themselves in battle for the label Atheists and Christians.
And as long as Atheism and Christianity and the rest continue to battle as they have been from the day the words where put fourth. And taking into account the outcome of every single discussion argument thus far. The one true position on a such a circular argument we should all be occupying is labeled. AGNOSTICISM. : an intellectual doctrine or attitude affirming the uncertainty of all claims to ultimate knowledge.

I'll leave it to you lot to fight it out strengthen Agnosticism . Thanks

Dumb it down a little?
Don't you think most people are already dumb enough without making an effort to be even more dumb?

I hope future generations of children become a lot smarter when they become adults and we don't continue to produce superstitious adults who believe in invisible people and think a Gods caused or causes natural disasters because he gets angry with people.

It's high time the religious adults grew up mentally and perceive God the same as they perceive any other mythical characters.
It is sad that there are so many religiously brainwashed adults in this world.