Jump to topic:

Let us pretend!

ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:07:26 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying home from an atheist convention. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us atheists survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:09:56 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:07:26 PM, ViceRegent wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying home from an atheist convention. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us atheists survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Are the only survivors atheists, steggsy?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:16:36 PM

I would suggest modeling one after the community we left, since (more than likely), we would be some what familiar with the 'rules'.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:25:32 PM

The "rules" that empathy dictates.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:25:46 PM

Sure you would sit there and put to the group.
ok guys let's get some things straight first .
What morality should we govern ourselves by.?
It's not even a question you nit. These brain dead theist type like this moron here like to think they have some kind of special powers , because they can let themselves believe in crap. Pull ya head in ya idiot.
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:30:01 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:25:32 PM, matt8800 wrote:

Who's empathy? And what if I say no?
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:31:52 PM

That sounds like a response fit for a vice don't it.
By what morality should we govern ourselves by. ? That has to be a joke.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:33:03 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:30:01 PM, ViceRegent wrote:

Then we eat the red herring you bring to the table.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:36:52 PM

The definition of empathy is universal. It is the ability to understand the feelings of another and act accordingly. If someone in the group acts without regard to others, it would be appropriate to deal with that person in the same way society deals with criminals to protect the interests, safety, wellbeing and harmony of the rest of the group.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:41:25 PM

You best go sit over there in the corner and pray.
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:41:32 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:36:52 PM, matt8800 wrote:

The definition of empathy is universal. It is the ability to understand the feelings of another and act accordingly. If someone in the group acts without regard to others, it would be appropriate to deal with that person in the same way society deals with criminals to protect the interests, safety, wellbeing and harmony of the rest of the group.

I did not ask about the definition of empathy. I asked who's subjection notions of it are you going to go with? And so your solution to those who lack empathy is to treat them without empathy? If it is ok for you to act without empathy, why cannot the other guy?

And I was asking what if I say "no" to your suggesting that empathy be our moral guide?
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:41:41 PM

Considering your clearly demonstrated prospect of beligerence, it looks as though this crowd is headed for the moral code of "might makes right."

Also known as "he who holds the gun makes the rules."
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:42:54 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:41:41 PM, Fly wrote:

Considering your clearly demonstrated prospect of beligerence, it looks as though this crowd is headed for the moral code of "might makes right."

Yes, as has every government set up by atheists ever. So how can the atheist avoid it?
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:48:02 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:42:54 PM, ViceRegent wrote:

Yes, as has every government set up by atheists ever. So how can the atheist avoid it?

This leads me to question your grasp of history.

Anyway, you are an atheist with a pistol in your scenario, correct? Then the question is: how do YOU avoid it?
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:51:01 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:48:02 PM, Fly wrote:

Anyway, you are an atheist with a pistol in your scenario, correct? Then the question is: how do YOU avoid it?

My grasp is excellent, which is why I know that atheist regimes in the 20th century alone murdered almost 200,000,000 people. But since I have the gun, I like the atheist creed of might makes right. After all, there is no objective morality in Atheistland and survival of the fittest knows no other way that might makes right, right?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:52:12 PM

You know threat of eternal hellfire is the proverbial gun of religion, right?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:52:14 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:41:32 PM, ViceRegent wrote:

I did not ask about the definition of empathy. I asked who's subjection notions of it are you going to go with? And so your solution to those who lack empathy is to treat them without empathy? If it is ok for you to act without empathy, why cannot the other guy?

And I was asking what if I say "no" to your suggesting that empathy be our moral guide?

I never said I would act without empathy so not sure how you jumped to that assumption....

If you were a violent, criminal-minded individual, then the group would have to decide the best way to deal with you according to your actions, gun or no gun.

If bonobos know how to act empathetically within a group without consulting their bible, why is it hard for you to understand? Either you are playing dumb or you a sociopath.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:53:58 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:51:01 PM, ViceRegent wrote:

My grasp is excellent, which is why I know that atheist regimes in the 20th century alone murdered almost 200,000,000 people. But since I have the gun, I like the atheist creed of might makes right. After all, there is no objective morality in Atheistland and survival of the fittest knows no other way that might makes right, right?

Clearly wrong, because in your scenario, we all just left a convention in which we all didn't kill each other, rape each other or steal from one another. We liked each other so much so as to convene with one another.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:55:06 PM

No, your grasp is feeble as demonstrated by your need to single out atheists and implying that they have sole proprietorship of the "might makes right" form of governance.

Again, the question for you, as the gun toting atheist of the group, is: what would YOU do to avoid this form of governance?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:55:46 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:52:14 PM, matt8800 wrote:

I never said I would act without empathy so not sure how you jumped to that assumption....

If you were a violent, criminal-minded individual, then the group would have to decide the best way to deal with you according to your actions, gun or no gun.

If bonobos know how to act empathetically within a group without consulting their bible, why is it hard for you to understand? Either you are playing dumb or you a sociopath.

Why not both?
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:56:02 PM

You could believe that and the group could believe that you are wrong. They would have the option to remedy the situation while you are sleeping or have your back turned. Time would tell who wins.
Danb6177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:56:24 PM

your community would default to the moral laws that God instilled into his creation which of course are subject to gross misuse due to free will.
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 6:59:02 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:52:14 PM, matt8800 wrote:

Yes, you did. You said you would treat those who disobeyed your calculation of empathy as criminals, which can only many take their money, subject them to physical pain, take their liberty of take their life. Those are not empathic actions. So, why it is ok for you to deal with others without empathy but not others deal with you without empathy?

But you still have no told me who calculation of empathy we are to follow You also have not told me how you know what "acting accordingly is. And you have not told me what you do when I reject your empathy-as-morality code as subjective nonsense?
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 7:01:59 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:55:06 PM, Fly wrote:

No, your grasp is feeble as demonstrated by your need to single out atheists and implying that they have sole proprietorship of the "might makes right" form of governance.

Again, the question for you, as the gun toting atheist of the group, is: what would YOU do to avoid this form of governance?

Actually, I said nothing about who else has the might-makes-right code of morality, but pointed out that atheists have none other, as the blood of 200M shout this truth from the mountain tops. But you do not understand, as I have the gun, you must tell me why I should not follow the notions of survival of the fittest when the gun makes me the fittest?
ViceRegent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 7:02:54 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:56:02 PM, matt8800 wrote:

You could believe that and the group could believe that you are wrong. They would have the option to remedy the situation while you are sleeping or have your back turned. Time would tell who wins.

So you agree with me that might-makes-right, not this empathy nonsense.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 7:03:14 PM

You must be tired , go have a sleep. That's it close your eyes.
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 7:03:20 PM
At 5/19/2016 6:16:36 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

I would suggest modeling one after the community we left, since (more than likely), we would be some what familiar with the 'rules'.

It's a plane full of people from different walks of life you imbecile. You really are stupid beyond belief.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 7:07:47 PM
At 5/19/2016 7:01:59 PM, ViceRegent wrote:
At 5/19/2016 6:55:06 PM, Fly wrote:

Actually, I said nothing about who else has the might-makes-right code of morality, but pointed out that atheists have none other, as the blood of 200M shout this truth from the mountain tops. But you do not understand, as I have the gun, you must tell me why I should not follow the notions of survival of the fittest when the gun makes me the fittest?

Apparently, you cannot keep up with your own scenario and your own line of questioning. YOU asked how an atheist avoids a "might makes right" form of governance. YOU are an atheist with the "might." How, then, do YOU avoid it?

Your feeble answer to your own question is: "why should I even attempt to avoid it?"