Total Posts:85|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Let us Pretend 2.0

Skepticalone
Posts: 6,117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
janesix
Posts: 3,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:01:47 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We all decide to get along, choose one religion (the TRUE one), and live in peace for the rest of our days.
Jovian
Posts: 1,719
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:06:13 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

Interesting. You can even change diverse theists into everyone on the plane adhering to the Protestant Church. There will still be feuds over what morality is. A theocracy romantizing Protestant Christian priest from Texas is different than a liberal and secular Dutch Protestant Christian on...pretty much every single aspect of life.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:14:51 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:01:47 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We all decide to get along

I would say this is key to our survival. Pool our resources, abilities and tools.

, choose one religion (the TRUE one)

That seems an impossible task in the short term, and at odds with your primary goal.

, and live in peace for the rest of our days.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:21:27 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:14:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:01:47 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We all decide to get along

I would say this is key to our survival. Pool our resources, abilities and tools.

, choose one religion (the TRUE one)

That seems an impossible task in the short term, and at odds with your primary goal.

, and live in peace for the rest of our days.

Is there any pretend hot chick's in this scenario.?
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:24:10 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We stay true to owe own beliefs, and we all prey .
With so many gods we are bound to be saved.
janesix
Posts: 3,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:26:55 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:21:27 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:14:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:01:47 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We all decide to get along

I would say this is key to our survival. Pool our resources, abilities and tools.

, choose one religion (the TRUE one)

That seems an impossible task in the short term, and at odds with your primary goal.

, and live in peace for the rest of our days.

Is there any pretend hot chick's in this scenario.?

It is immoral to think about "hot chicks". You will be shunned and banned from the group.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:31:16 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:26:55 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:21:27 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:14:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:01:47 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We all decide to get along

I would say this is key to our survival. Pool our resources, abilities and tools.

, choose one religion (the TRUE one)

That seems an impossible task in the short term, and at odds with your primary goal.

, and live in peace for the rest of our days.

Is there any pretend hot chick's in this scenario.?

It is immoral to think about "hot chicks". You will be shunned and banned from the group.

And so I should be .
For I just caught a plain full of religious people.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:35:31 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:26:55 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:21:27 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:14:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:01:47 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We all decide to get along

I would say this is key to our survival. Pool our resources, abilities and tools.

, choose one religion (the TRUE one)

That seems an impossible task in the short term, and at odds with your primary goal.

, and live in peace for the rest of our days.

Is there any pretend hot chick's in this scenario.?

It is immoral to think about "hot chicks". You will be shunned and banned from the group.

Do we all agree that the Hindus might taste the nicest.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:39:38 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

You don't. If you try to assert religious morality over the vicissitudes of survival, you'll end up like the American pilgrim fathers, and face death due to the impracticality of asserting presuppositional ideology in a world you barely understand.

Your customs and traditions need to be built ground-up, based on trial and error: what nourishes individuals and the group. They may make use of exotic, imported strategies -- but only to the degree that they're useful.
janesix
Posts: 3,465
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:40:51 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:35:31 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:26:55 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:21:27 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:14:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:01:47 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We all decide to get along

I would say this is key to our survival. Pool our resources, abilities and tools.

, choose one religion (the TRUE one)

That seems an impossible task in the short term, and at odds with your primary goal.

, and live in peace for the rest of our days.

Is there any pretend hot chick's in this scenario.?

It is immoral to think about "hot chicks". You will be shunned and banned from the group.

Do we all agree that the Hindus might taste the nicest.

Compared to the Christians, yes.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:49:11 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:24:10 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We stay true to owe own beliefs, and we all prey .
With so many gods we are bound to be saved.

Prey or pray? ;-)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:50:50 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:21:27 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:14:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:01:47 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We all decide to get along

I would say this is key to our survival. Pool our resources, abilities and tools.

, choose one religion (the TRUE one)

That seems an impossible task in the short term, and at odds with your primary goal.

, and live in peace for the rest of our days.

Is there any pretend hot chick's in this scenario.?

Yes, but they are wary of your lustful ways.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Casten
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:52:16 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
What does the pie chart look like? A quarter Christians, a quarter Muslims, etc, etc? Or like an even blend?

If there were sizable groups sharing a religion, I would probably expect them to split off into their own survival units/camps.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:52:46 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:49:11 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:24:10 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We stay true to owe own beliefs, and we all prey .
With so many gods we are bound to be saved.

Prey or pray? ;-)

Pray then prey
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:53:06 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We should make this more interesting by saying 20% are Irish Catholic, 20% Irish Protestant, 20% Evangelical Christian, 20% Shite Muslim and 20% Sunni Muslim.

Any predictions on how that would go down?
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:54:35 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:52:46 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:49:11 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:24:10 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We stay true to owe own beliefs, and we all prey .
With so many gods we are bound to be saved.

Prey or pray? ;-)

Pray then prey

Any ideas on who is responsible for the crash ?
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 9:58:18 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:52:16 PM, Casten wrote:
What does the pie chart look like? A quarter Christians, a quarter Muslims, etc, etc? Or like an even blend?

If there were sizable groups sharing a religion, I would probably expect them to split off into their own survival units/camps.

The Jewish contingents will do no such thing
Casten
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 10:07:55 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:58:18 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:52:16 PM, Casten wrote:
What does the pie chart look like? A quarter Christians, a quarter Muslims, etc, etc? Or like an even blend?

If there were sizable groups sharing a religion, I would probably expect them to split off into their own survival units/camps.

The Jewish contingents will do no such thing

Why?
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 12:57:37 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:53:06 PM, matt8800 wrote:
We should make this more interesting by saying 20% are Irish Catholic, 20% Irish Protestant, 20% Evangelical Christian, 20% Shite Muslim and 20% Sunni Muslim.

Any predictions on how that would go down?

So, a priest, a minister, a rabbi and an imam go pig-hunting and...

Wait, that's not going to work.

Okay, a priest, a minister, a rabbi and an imam go off to gather some shellfish and...

Er... nope.

So a priest, a minister, a rabbi and an imam are slaughtering a goat and...

Okay, not that.

A priest, a minister a rabbi and an imam are treading grapes and...

I give up. :(
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 3:19:10 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:35:31 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:26:55 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:21:27 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:14:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:01:47 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We all decide to get along

I would say this is key to our survival. Pool our resources, abilities and tools.

, choose one religion (the TRUE one)

That seems an impossible task in the short term, and at odds with your primary goal.

, and live in peace for the rest of our days.

Is there any pretend hot chick's in this scenario.?

It is immoral to think about "hot chicks". You will be shunned and banned from the group.

Do we all agree that the Hindus might taste the nicest.

Europeans who used to practice cannalism now pretend as if they have f i n e taste buds.

Hindus do not eat non veg food - neither are they left handed.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 3:20:31 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:40:51 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:35:31 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:26:55 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:21:27 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:14:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:01:47 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We all decide to get along

I would say this is key to our survival. Pool our resources, abilities and tools.

, choose one religion (the TRUE one)

That seems an impossible task in the short term, and at odds with your primary goal.

, and live in peace for the rest of our days.

Is there any pretend hot chick's in this scenario.?

It is immoral to think about "hot chicks". You will be shunned and banned from the group.

Do we all agree that the Hindus might taste the nicest.

Compared to the Christians, yes.

Was your grandfather an atheist?
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 4:51:42 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

First things first. Destroy the gun.
Casten
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 5:03:52 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/20/2016 4:51:42 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

First things first. Destroy the gun.

What if it's like the One Gun to Rule Them All, and you have to go on a quest to throw it into a volcano.
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 5:25:35 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/20/2016 3:19:10 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:35:31 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:26:55 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:21:27 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:14:51 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/19/2016 9:01:47 PM, janesix wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

We all decide to get along

I would say this is key to our survival. Pool our resources, abilities and tools.

, choose one religion (the TRUE one)

That seems an impossible task in the short term, and at odds with your primary goal.

, and live in peace for the rest of our days.

Is there any pretend hot chick's in this scenario.?

It is immoral to think about "hot chicks". You will be shunned and banned from the group.

Do we all agree that the Hindus might taste the nicest.

Europeans who used to practice cannalism now pretend as if they have f i n e taste buds.

Hindus do not eat non veg food - neither are they left handed.

Europeans built the greatest canals in the world.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 5:36:02 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/20/2016 4:51:42 AM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

First things first. Destroy the gun.

That would be a little extreme. It could be used to procure food in desperate situations, or defense of the group. How about we divide the gun from the ammunition, or disassemble the gun and give the parts to various members of the group for safe keeping? Would that keep us safe from the evil gun? ;-)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
KthulhuHimself
Posts: 995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 5:54:29 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

The community will die out in less than a month, because of how fluid morality is to theists of separate religions.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 6:13:54 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/20/2016 5:54:29 AM, KthulhuHimself wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Suppose you and I are part of a group of 100 people flying on a commercial flight. We are all theists, but represent many different religions and worship different gods. Because I am a police officer, I happen to have been allowed to carry my gun on the plane. Unfortunately, the plane crashes, but all of us survive and are stranded on a remote island with no hope of getting rescued. Because of the circumstances, we decide to set up our own community. By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

Inspired by:

http://www.debate.org...

The community will die out in less than a month, because of how fluid morality is to theists of separate religions.

That seems like a rather bleak prediction. ....what if religion was never discussed corporately?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,866
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 6:43:17 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/19/2016 9:39:38 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 5/19/2016 8:57:40 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
By what morality shall we govern ourselves?

You don't. If you try to assert religious morality over the vicissitudes of survival, you'll end up like the American pilgrim fathers, and face death due to the impracticality of asserting presuppositional ideology in a world you barely understand.
First, biased sample fallacy. Your post then follows as a purposely structured piece of propaganda in order to control people. You first disengage their reasoning by using the fear tactic and wording of "face death due to" your biased sample fallacy reference. Love the way you tell people not to do something at the same time you're claiming your belief that not doing the something is what everyone should believe is the right belief in regards to what to do.
Your customs and traditions need to be built ground-up, based on trial and error: what nourishes individuals and the group. They may make use of exotic, imported strategies -- but only to the degree that they're useful.
So basically do what you say which is nothing more than an opinion on how people should live. You fell right into the scenarios trap to out hypocritical thought as opposed to critical thought. Sometimes people are blinded by the passion of their own beliefs to realize they are just that, beliefs. You should know better Ruv lol.