Jump to topic:

Atheists and Near Death Experiences

matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 2:27:31 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
Lets pretend, simply for the sake of discussion, that there is some credence to some of the Near Death Experience accounts.

According to researchers, atheists are just as likely to have a positive NDE as a religious person.

http://www.near-death.com...

"Religious orientation was not a factor affecting either the likelihood or the depth of the near-death experience. An atheist was as likely to have one as was a devoutly religious person. Regardless of their prior attitudes - whether skeptical or deeply religious - and regardless of the many variations in religious beliefs and degrees of skepticism from tolerant disbelief to outspoken atheism - most of these people were convinced that they had been in the presence of some supreme and loving power and had a glimpse of a life yet to come. Almost all who experienced an NDE found their lives transformed and a change in their attitudes and values, and in their inclination to love and to help others."

"My own NDE research shows that atheists who return from an NDE may not believe in a God after it, but they do return recognizing a higher power in the universe and behind everything."

Regardless of whether someone believes in mind/body dualism, it is established that, at minimum, atheists believe they have a positive experience to the same degree a religious person believes they have a positive experience.

Although I have not conducted any survey, I am almost certain that a respectable portion of theists would be disappointed that atheists would have eternal bliss with them and not burn with weeping and gnashing of teeth for eternity.

What does this say about religion"s "goodness", "love" and "morality"?

What is going on in their head that would make them feel that way?
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 2:53:09 AM
At 5/20/2016 2:27:31 AM, matt8800 wrote:
Lets pretend, simply for the sake of discussion, that there is some credence to some of the Near Death Experience accounts.

According to researchers, atheists are just as likely to have a positive NDE as a religious person.

"Religious orientation was not a factor affecting either the likelihood or the depth of the near-death experience. An atheist was as likely to have one as was a devoutly religious person. Regardless of their prior attitudes - whether skeptical or deeply religious - and regardless of the many variations in religious beliefs and degrees of skepticism from tolerant disbelief to outspoken atheism - most of these people were convinced that they had been in the presence of some supreme and loving power and had a glimpse of a life yet to come. Almost all who experienced an NDE found their lives transformed and a change in their attitudes and values, and in their inclination to love and to help others."

"My own NDE research shows that atheists who return from an NDE may not believe in a God after it, but they do return recognizing a higher power in the universe and behind everything."

Regardless of whether someone believes in mind/body dualism, it is established that, at minimum, atheists believe they have a positive experience to the same degree a religious person believes they have a positive experience.

Although I have not conducted any survey, I am almost certain that a respectable portion of theists would be disappointed that atheists would have eternal bliss with them and not burn with weeping and gnashing of teeth for eternity.

So I'm guessing maybe just maybe we all end up in the same " state " or way .
So if a person kidnapped kids , tortured them and then ate them . When he dies , he will end up in the same " state " way, as the kids that he tortured and ate. It's unfortunate , but it's More then likely the truth. It has to be beyond anyone to know what happens when we truly die.
And it's beyond crazy to think they know that when we die we go to heaven or hell. Who do they think they are , it's almost like they have a book that explains this rubbish.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 3:06:14 AM
According to researchers, atheists are just as likely to have a positive NDE as a religious person. [...]

Nothing really Matt. Whatever individual NDE experiences might be, theological apologetics may interpret even atheists' experiences as revelation when it suits, and didmiss the others as purely subjective. That's because theological apologetics are never accountable for how they interpret information.

Really what it speaks to are theological ethics. A method that shfits from one excuse to another for the same unfalsifiable doctrine while never being accountable for the ignorance, error or lack of transparency in the method itself, isn't respectful of the people it promotes to, and isn't ethical.
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 4:12:51 AM
Honestly, there is a pretty simple explanation for anyone having NDEs. Our brain is weird. It could be a lack of oxygen in the brain that causes a hallucination, the brain trying to process something that it was never meant to process (death), or it could be the brain's way of calming you down and making your death a little easier. Our own brains constantly do weird things and trick us to make it easier to perceive the world the way that we do. NEDs are more than likely just another trick played on us by our own brains.
EtrnlVw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 4:21:22 AM

Lol, or let us pretend that everyone's experiences are just hallucinations......say the average atheist...

Sure, but don't forget that NDE's are not death, only usually moments of visitation, meaning they on'y briefly left their body, and then came back. What would happen when they don't come back?

No one said atheists wouldn't experience life after death (consciousness), the question is....is where will you go if you reject God? don't know anything about the spirit or how it operates, NDE's are only moments of visitation so we have no idea what happens when the body is completely severed from the spirit.

What is the difference between God and a "higher power", seems like a silly statement. Why would anyone be willing to believe in a "higher power" but not God....anything but "God" right Matt lol??

no one is taking that away from them, rather trying to get them involved, so that they are aware when they leave the body, know what is going on and where they will go. Why bypass all of that when you could just learn now, get involved now? why wait til your dead??

Wrong, I would never wish that on any soul, ever, not even in my thoughts or imaginations sorry. Where have any atheists experienced eternal bliss in these testimonies though? they are only momentary visitations, not eternal, just barely stepping out of their body.
Had they experienced eternal bliss they would have never returned....

Not sure what this last part is supposed to mean. I think in Christianity it is good, love and morality to shed light on the situation, rather than atheism telling us nothing exists beyond the material realm, no God, no spirit no nothing.....HOW IS THAT GOOD, love or moral at all?????
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 3:05:46 PM
At 5/20/2016 4:12:51 AM, Logic_Not_Ignorance wrote:
Honestly, there is a pretty simple explanation for anyone having NDEs. Our brain is weird. It could be a lack of oxygen in the brain that causes a hallucination, the brain trying to process something that it was never meant to process (death), or it could be the brain's way of calming you down and making your death a little easier. Our own brains constantly do weird things and trick us to make it easier to perceive the world the way that we do. NEDs are more than likely just another trick played on us by our own brains.

My purpose wasn't to assert that NDEs were fact. My purpose was more to communicate that I find it odd that there are many Christians that would be disappointed IF atheists had a positive afterlife. I wonder what causes that.
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 3:16:14 PM
At 5/20/2016 3:05:46 PM, matt8800 wrote:

My purpose wasn't to assert that NDEs were fact. My purpose was more to communicate that I find it odd that there are many Christians that would be disappointed IF atheists had a positive afterlife. I wonder what causes that.

Okay, I get you now. I guess that a positive afterlife for an atheist would kind of make many of their beliefs and practices futile. Think about it. You work your whole life to be the perfect Christian and get to Heaven. Then you get there, and you are sharing paradise with people that would spit in the face of God if they had the chance. I'm not saying that I agree with that, but it could be one of the reasons.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 3:16:28 PM
At 5/20/2016 4:21:22 AM, EtrnlVw wrote:

Lol, or let us pretend that everyone's experiences are just hallucinations......say the average atheist...

Sure, but don't forget that NDE's are not death, only usually moments of visitation, meaning they on'y briefly left their body, and then came back. What would happen when they don't come back?

I don't think anyone can know what happens after we die. The only way we will know is when we die assuming if there is an afterlife.

While you may not want others with a different belief to suffer, I'm sure you would agree that there are some people that belong to many religions that would be disappointed if it were true that atheists got to share a positive afterlife. I'm wondering what is at the root of that.

Since we both agree that we wouldn't want people that lived their lives with kindness and compassion to suffer, what is your opinion as to why other religious people might think this way? I assume you would agree that some religious people wouldn't be happy about it.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 3:22:23 PM
At 5/20/2016 3:16:14 PM, Logic_Not_Ignorance wrote:

Okay, I get you now. I guess that a positive afterlife for an atheist would kind of make many of their beliefs and practices futile. Think about it. You work your whole life to be the perfect Christian and get to Heaven. Then you get there, and you are sharing paradise with people that would spit in the face of God if they had the chance. I'm not saying that I agree with that, but it could be one of the reasons.

Why would you think atheists would want to spit in anyone's face? Just because I don't believe Elvis is still alive, that doesn't mean I would want to spit in his face if he were.

Besides, the article said that many atheists that have a positive NDE view "god" as more of an "it" rather than a "he".
bonsai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 3:23:02 PM

Okay, I get you now. I guess that a positive afterlife for an atheist would kind of make many of their beliefs and practices futile. Think about it. You work your whole life to be the perfect Christian and get to Heaven. Then you get there, and you are sharing paradise with people that would spit in the face of God if they had the chance. I'm not saying that I agree with that, but it could be one of the reasons. : :

Most of the Christians I have faced hate the voice of God which is the only way people can receive information into their minds.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 4:52:41 PM
At 5/20/2016 3:23:02 PM, bonsai wrote:

Okay, I get you now. I guess that a positive afterlife for an atheist would kind of make many of their beliefs and practices futile. Think about it. You work your whole life to be the perfect Christian and get to Heaven. Then you get there, and you are sharing paradise with people that would spit in the face of God if they had the chance. I'm not saying that I agree with that, but it could be one of the reasons. : :

Most of the Christians I have faced hate the voice of God which is the only way people can receive information into their minds.
You are confused. Most hate tbe voice of Brad. You were too stupid and introduced the speaker as Brad Holkesvig.
bonsai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 5:22:01 PM
At 5/20/2016 4:52:41 PM, Harikrish wrote:

You are confused. Most hate tbe voice of Brad. You were too stupid and introduced the speaker as Brad Holkesvig. : :

Brad Holkesvig is the visible body that other characters in the simulation program can observe while listening to the knowledge being revealed in their minds as the information that I send into their minds is processed. I am the technology that our Creator used to speak his creation into existence and also the technology that he uses to take information from his created program and send it to the created minds of his created men. One created man will awaken in Paradise with a perfect partner of the opposite sex and enjoy all the information I deliver into their mind that is converted into visible worlds.

You weren't chosen to believe this fact.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 7:14:37 PM
At 5/20/2016 5:22:01 PM, bonsai wrote:

You are confused. Most hate tbe voice of Brad. You were too stupid and introduced the speaker as Brad Holkesvig. : :

Brad Holkesvig is the visible body that other characters in the simulation program can observe while listening to the knowledge being revealed in their minds as the information that I send into their minds is processed. I am the technology that our Creator used to speak his creation into existence and also the technology that he uses to take information from his created program and send it to the created minds of his created men. One created man will awaken in Paradise with a perfect partner of the opposite sex and enjoy all the information I deliver into their mind that is converted into visible worlds.

You are just as confused as you were. Words are not visible they are audioble, written text are visible. You don't need a program to communicate with other minds, you need to use telepathy. You are the most lopsided ignorant recovering alcoholic to grapple with technology. Now go ahead blame Brad Holkesvig.
bonsai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 7:34:54 PM
At 5/20/2016 7:14:37 PM, Harikrish wrote:

You are just as confused as you were. Words are not visible they are audioble, written text are visible. You don't need a program to communicate with other minds, you need to use telepathy. You are the most lopsided ignorant recovering alcoholic to grapple with technology. Now go ahead blame Brad Holkesvig. : :

The technology that God used to speak his creation into existence is Me, the voice of God. I am his servant David who will be used forever to feed the minds of his created beings. The frequency that gives you life experiences now will be cut off soon but the new frequencies will give you a new heaven and earth to experience with a perfectly made partner of the opposite sex.

Stupid people will remain stupid until their life giving frequencies are stopped.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 7:47:52 PM
At 5/20/2016 7:34:54 PM, bonsai wrote:

You are just as confused as you were. Words are not visible they are audioble, written text are visible. You don't need a program to communicate with other minds, you need to use telepathy. You are the most lopsided ignorant recovering alcoholic to grapple with technology. Now go ahead blame Brad Holkesvig. : :

The technology that God used to speak his creation into existence is Me, the voice of God. I am his servant David who will be used forever to feed the minds of his created beings. The frequency that gives you life experiences now will be cut off soon but the new frequencies will give you a new heaven and earth to experience with a perfectly made partner of the opposite sex.

Stupid people will remain stupid until their life giving frequencies are stopped.

The technology you are using is the Internet and public forums. That is hardly mind boggling or even as directed as telepathy. So you are just Joe blogger. Lol!!!
bonsai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 8:01:19 PM
At 5/20/2016 7:47:52 PM, Harikrish wrote:

The technology you are using is the Internet and public forums. That is hardly mind boggling or even as directed as telepathy. So you are just Joe blogger. Lol!!!

Most characters in God's simulation program believe they are real people living on a real planet called Earth. LOL !!!!!
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 8:11:19 PM
At 5/20/2016 8:01:19 PM, bonsai wrote:

Most characters in God's simulation program believe they are real people living on a real planet called Earth. LOL !!!!!

Yes, you have posted that on many Internet forums. Lol!!
bonsai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 8:51:31 PM
At 5/20/2016 8:11:19 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Yes, you have posted that on many Internet forums. Lol!! : :

That's right. I found many chosen believers on the internet besides the thousands of believers I met in Campbell, CA. They all love listening to the voice of God that retrieves information from God's created program right into their minds.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 9:12:17 PM
At 5/20/2016 8:51:31 PM, bonsai wrote:

That's right. I found many chosen believers on the internet besides the thousands of believers I met in Campbell, CA. They all love listening to the voice of God that retrieves information from God's created program right into their minds.

Haven't seen a poster yet that believed any of the crap you post about being the voice of God. You might have met a lot of people in the free soup kitchens you go for your meals.
bonsai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 10:01:21 PM
At 5/20/2016 9:12:17 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Haven't seen a poster yet that believed any of the crap you post about being the voice of God. You might have met a lot of people in the free soup kitchens you go for your meals. : :

Believers are only identified by the way they listen to the voice of God and how much of the knowledge they believe. I have witnessed thousands of believers who have listened to the gospel ( voice of God ) and believed the knowledge was coming from our Creator. They love hearing his Word.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 10:03:34 PM
At 5/20/2016 10:01:21 PM, bonsai wrote:

Haven't seen a poster yet that believed any of the crap you post about being the voice of God. You might have met a lot of people in the free soup kitchens you go for your meals. : :

Believers are only identified by the way they listen to the voice of God and how much of the knowledge they believe. I have witnessed thousands of believers who have listened to the gospel ( voice of God ) and believed the knowledge was coming from our Creator. They love hearing his Word.

You also said you tried to drink yourself to death. Your mind ain't right, Brad.
bonsai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 10:10:48 PM
At 5/20/2016 10:03:34 PM, Harikrish wrote:

You also said you tried to drink yourself to death. Your mind ain't right, Brad. : :

Over 36 years ago I thought i would die someday in the near future from alcoholism. I was totally wrong.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 10:35:36 PM
At 5/20/2016 10:10:48 PM, bonsai wrote:

You also said you tried to drink yourself to death. Your mind ain't right, Brad. : :

Over 36 years ago I thought i would die someday in the near future from alcoholism. I was totally wrong.

You are also totally wrong to believe the damage wasn't already done. You have diminished mental capacity and suffer from schizophrenia.
Schizophrenia and Alcoholism .
"But research now suggests that alcohol is also a common addictive drug used by people who have schizophrenia. In fact, a study in the journal Alcohol Research and Health suggests that alcoholism is the most common co-occurring condition in people who have schizophrenia."

"Alcohol-related psychosis is a secondary psychosis that manifests as prominent hallucinations and delusions occurring in a variety of alcohol-related conditions. For patients with alcohol use disorder, previously known as alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence, psychosis can occur during phases of acute intoxication or withdrawal, with or without delirium tremens. In addition, alcohol hallucinosis and alcoholic paranoia are 2 uncommon alcohol-induced psychotic disorders, which are seen only in chronic alcoholics who have years of severe and heavy drinking.[1] Lastly, psychosis can also occur during alcohol intoxication, also known as pathologic intoxication, an uncommon condition the diagnosis of which is considered controversial.[2, 3]

"In chronic alcoholic patients, lack of thiamine is a common condition. Thiamine deficiency is known to lead to Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, which is characterized by neurological findings on examination and a confusional-apathetic state. Korsakoff psychosis (or Korsakoff amnesic- or amnesic-confabulatory state) refers to a state that memory and learning are affected out of proportion to other cognitive functions in an otherwise alert and responsive patient.[4]"

"Alcohol is a neurotoxin that damages the brain in a complex manner through prolonged exposure and repeated withdrawal, resulting in significant morbidity and mortality. Alcohol-related psychosis is often an indication of chronic alcoholism; thus, it is associated with medical, neurological, and psychosocial complications."
bonsai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2016 10:52:25 PM
At 5/20/2016 10:35:36 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 5/20/2016 10:10:48 PM, bonsai wrote:

You are also totally wrong to believe the damage wasn't already done. You have diminished mental capacity and suffer from schizophrenia.
Schizophrenia and Alcoholism .
"But research now suggests that alcohol is also a common addictive drug used by people who have schizophrenia. In fact, a study in the journal Alcohol Research and Health suggests that alcoholism is the most common co-occurring condition in people who have schizophrenia."

"Alcohol-related psychosis is a secondary psychosis that manifests as prominent hallucinations and delusions occurring in a variety of alcohol-related conditions. For patients with alcohol use disorder, previously known as alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence, psychosis can occur during phases of acute intoxication or withdrawal, with or without delirium tremens. In addition, alcohol hallucinosis and alcoholic paranoia are 2 uncommon alcohol-induced psychotic disorders, which are seen only in chronic alcoholics who have years of severe and heavy drinking.[1] Lastly, psychosis can also occur during alcohol intoxication, also known as pathologic intoxication, an uncommon condition the diagnosis of which is considered controversial.[2, 3]

"In chronic alcoholic patients, lack of thiamine is a common condition. Thiamine deficiency is known to lead to Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, which is characterized by neurological findings on examination and a confusional-apathetic state. Korsakoff psychosis (or Korsakoff amnesic- or amnesic-confabulatory state) refers to a state that memory and learning are affected out of proportion to other cognitive functions in an otherwise alert and responsive patient.[4]"

"Alcohol is a neurotoxin that damages the brain in a complex manner through prolonged exposure and repeated withdrawal, resulting in significant morbidity and mortality. Alcohol-related psychosis is often an indication of chronic alcoholism; thus, it is associated with medical, neurological, and psychosocial complications." : :

I'm glad to see that you haven't deleted you file about the illusion named Brad Holkesvig. At least you will have that information with you when Brad is killed in the future. However, I will continue on like always and used to feed info into each created mind of God's characters within his simulation program.
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 5:33:25 AM
At 5/20/2016 3:22:23 PM, matt8800 wrote:

Why would you think atheists would want to spit in anyone's face? Just because I don't believe Elvis is still alive, that doesn't mean I would want to spit in his face if he were.

Besides, the article said that many atheists that have a positive NDE view "god" as more of an "it" rather than a "he".

I never said spit in everyone's face, just God's. Plus, that is an exaggeration. I also never said anything about a specific gender.
(Also, I am an atheist)
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 6:04:20 AM
At 5/21/2016 5:33:25 AM, Logic_Not_Ignorance wrote:
At 5/20/2016 3:22:23 PM, matt8800 wrote:

I never said spit in everyone's face, just God's. Plus, that is an exaggeration. I also never said anything about a specific gender.
(Also, I am an atheist)

Sorry, I reread it and realized I misunderstood.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 6:10:06 AM

I reread it and I agree. I also think maybe there is a tad bit of jealousy because nonbelievers can live a life of freedom. Freedom of thought and ownership of our own selves.
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 6:14:12 AM
At 5/21/2016 6:10:06 AM, matt8800 wrote:

I reread it and I agree. I also think maybe there is a tad bit of jealousy because nonbelievers can live a life of freedom. Freedom of thought and ownership of our own selves.

That could be it as well. This is why I love these debates. You always get new insights and different ways to look at things.