All Athiest can get the hell out

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 7:12:53 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/22/2016 6:34:42 PM, missmedic wrote:
Imagine If All Atheists Left America............
https://www.youtube.com...
I tend to avoid youtube clips on religion, Miss M, because they're normally propaganda rather than carefully-formed scholarship.

I think this one conflates some key points (for example, it conflates the fact that atheism tends to be associated with middle class and intellectuals with the implication that atheism is causing the middle class, or intellectualism -- and I've never seen evidence that it is.)

But I think it true to say that in the US, irreligion is a product of affluence, equality, the rule of law, and free intellectual inquiry, and strongly supports these things in turn. And its true that to attack and marginalise irreligion is to undermine the ability of a secular society to produce these very strengths.

But that clip isn't how I'd say it. I thought it made the argument to preserve secularism look dishonest and manipulative, and felt I was watching some 'Save the Panda' advertisement. :D
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 12:44:34 AM
At 5/22/2016 7:12:53 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
I tend to avoid youtube clips on religion, Miss M, because they're normally propaganda rather than carefully-formed scholarship.

I think this one conflates some key points (for example, it conflates the fact that atheism tends to be associated with middle class and intellectuals with the implication that atheism is causing the middle class, or intellectualism -- and I've never seen evidence that it is.)

But I think it true to say that in the US, irreligion is a product of affluence, equality, the rule of law, and free intellectual inquiry, and strongly supports these things in turn. And its true that to attack and marginalise irreligion is to undermine the ability of a secular society to produce these very strengths.

But that clip isn't how I'd say it. I thought it made the argument to preserve secularism look dishonest and manipulative, and felt I was watching some 'Save the Panda' advertisement. :D

Thanks for the honest and constructive criticism, I appreciate the points you make, they make me think and rethink my points and thinking is always a good thing............
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 12:47:51 AM
At 5/23/2016 12:44:34 AM, missmedic wrote:
At 5/22/2016 7:12:53 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
t I think it true to say that in the US, irreligion is a product of affluence, equality, the rule of law, and free intellectual inquiry, and strongly supports these things in turn. And its true that to attack and marginalise irreligion is to undermine the ability of a secular society to produce these very strengths.

But that clip isn't how I'd say it.

Thanks for the honest and constructive criticism, I appreciate the points you make, they make me think and rethink my points and thinking is always a good thing............

Thank you for your gracious reply, Miss M! In comparison to some of the videos linked by some members (whom I'm sure I need not name), I think my criticisms pale into insignificance. But I respect your comments on critical thought, and feel the same. :)