Jump to topic:

Noah was Superman

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 11:21:29 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I was watching a current affairs show last week which had a feature on that ex-Aussie nitwit Ken Ham. Apparently he is building a so-called "replica" Ark somewhere in the Bible Belt of America. (Where else?). They happened to mention that the project would cost $100 million and employs a labour force of hundreds of specialized tradesmen.

My question is this. Did it ever occur to this dunderhead that, if the project needs $100m worth of resources and hundreds of craftsmen and artisans working over many years using modern power tools and machinery, then it could not possibly have been achieved by one man with only hand tools? Was Noah secretly Superman in disguise?
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 4:33:55 AM
At 5/23/2016 11:21:29 PM, dee-em wrote:
I was watching a current affairs show last week which had a feature on that ex-Aussie nitwit Ken Ham. Apparently he is building a so-called "replica" Ark somewhere in the Bible Belt of America. (Where else?). They happened to mention that the project would cost $100 million and employs a labour force of hundreds of specialized tradesmen.

My question is this. Did it ever occur to this dunderhead that, if the project needs $100m worth of resources and hundreds of craftsmen and artisans working over many years using modern power tools and machinery, then it could not possibly have been achieved by one man with only hand tools? Was Noah secretly Superman in disguise?

Dee-em, I see you are from Australia. Please tell your fellows Aussies to stop sending your nitwits over here. We already have more than we can handle :)
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 5:21:33 AM
At 5/24/2016 4:33:55 AM, matt8800 wrote:

Dee-em, I see you are from Australia. Please tell your fellows Aussies to stop sending your nitwits over here. We already have more than we can handle :)

We didn't send him. Crazy goes to where crazy lives and feels at home.

Fair is fair, anyway. You gave us McDonald's and KFC, we gave you Ken Ham. :)

On a serious note, the cognitive dissonance is what amazes me. He can oversee a huge project requiring hundreds of man years of effort and yet he has no problem with one man using only primitive bronze-age tools accomplishing the same feat. They must have special blinkers they hand out to creationists in the Bible Belt!

The project is dishonest in so many ways, apart from the inauthentic build. They are making models of animals for display on the Ark. Come on. Let's see them store 2,500 real animals of various "kinds", feed them, water them, exercise them, and dispose of their waste. It would require a small army of workers for maintenance. You won't see any of that though. Those are mere details. Lol.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 5:39:46 AM
At 5/24/2016 5:21:33 AM, dee-em wrote:

We didn't send him. Crazy goes to where crazy lives and feels at home.

Fair is fair, anyway. You gave us McDonald's and KFC, we gave you Ken Ham. :)

On a serious note, the cognitive dissonance is what amazes me. He can oversee a huge project requiring hundreds of man years of effort and yet he has no problem with one man using only primitive bronze-age tools accomplishing the same feat. They must have special blinkers they hand out to creationists in the Bible Belt!

The project is dishonest in so many ways, apart from the inauthentic build. They are making models of animals for display on the Ark. Come on. Let's see them store 2,500 real animals of various "kinds", feed them, water them, exercise them, and dispose of their waste. It would require a small army of workers for maintenance. You won't see any of that though. Those are mere details. Lol.

Yeah, I never really thought about but that is funny. Irony seems to be lost on Christians.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 6:45:34 AM

Do not forget the greatest gift Australia gave to the U.S.: Rupert Murdoch.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 6:48:26 AM

I saw the same show. I noticed he only hires Christian workers who believe the same as he believes and makes them sign a declaration of their belief.

His millions of dollars come from donations from those who believe in his cause.

It is obviously just another theme park made specially for believers. It's one way to entertain people and make money by charging them to come and see what they believe in.
https://arkencounter.com...
$60 entry fee for an adult. Opens on July 7 this year.

Sure he was and just as mythical as superman.
Noah was not building a Christian theme park to make money.

If Ken makes millions of dollars, maybe he has his head screwed on the right way after all ?
You too can be a "nit wit" and "dunderhead" who can make millions of dollars by taking advantage of what gullible people believe, IF you can manage to convince them your cause is worthwhile.

Can you manage that or don't you have the wit of a nit wit? ;-)
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 11:45:22 AM
At 5/24/2016 6:48:26 AM, Skyangel wrote:

I saw the same show. I noticed he only hires Christian workers who believe the same as he believes and makes them sign a declaration of their belief.

Yes, that's right. He must be afraid of sabotage or atheistic contamination or something. It's discriminatory hiring and I'm not sure how he got away with it.

His millions of dollars come from donations from those who believe in his cause.

Apparently there is no shortage of well-to-do creationists in America ready and willing to continue in the indoctrination of the young and impressionable.

It is obviously just another theme park made specially for believers. It's one way to entertain people and make money by charging them to come and see what they believe in.

Hmmm. That's double what is charged for his so-called Creation Museum which has had declining attendance since its opening. I predict an even sharper decline for this monstrosity given the price hike.

If Ken makes millions of dollars, maybe he has his head screwed on the right way after all ?
You too can be a "nit wit" and "dunderhead" who can make millions of dollars by taking advantage of what gullible people believe, IF you can manage to convince them your cause is worthwhile.

I can imagine it. My problem is that I wouldn't want to treat my fellow human beings with such contempt. Even if he is sincere and this is not just a money-making venture, think of the irreparable harm this is doing to American youth as they are turned away from the pursuit of real science by this religious nonsense.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 11:59:18 AM
At 5/24/2016 11:52:31 AM, desmac wrote:
There's gold in them thar religions.

L. Ron Hubbard realized that last century and he made it pay. Ask Tom Cruise or John Travolta.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 12:54:01 PM
At 5/24/2016 11:59:18 AM, dee-em wrote:

L. Ron Hubbard realized that last century and he made it pay. Ask Tom Cruise or John Travolta.

I think the Vatican had known it for a few centuries previously.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 10:29:52 PM
At 5/24/2016 11:45:22 AM, dee-em wrote:

Yes, that's right. He must be afraid of sabotage or atheistic contamination or something. It's discriminatory hiring and I'm not sure how he got away with it.

This might answer your question....
http://www.patheos.com...
Scroll to his blog copies from twitter.

I see the atheists are having a go at him for it...
http://www.advocate.com...

Apparently there is no shortage of well-to-do creationists in America ready and willing to continue in the indoctrination of the young and impressionable.

There is no shortage of gullible people in this world. America is not the only country with an over abundance of them.

Hmmm. That's double what is charged for his so-called Creation Museum which has had declining attendance since its opening. I predict an even sharper decline for this monstrosity given the price hike.

I think it will be a novelty when it first opens and people might go just out of curiosity but I tend to think its one of those places that once you have seen it, you would not go back again.

I can imagine it. My problem is that I wouldn't want to treat my fellow human beings with such contempt. Even if he is sincere and this is not just a money-making venture, think of the irreparable harm this is doing to American youth as they are turned away from the pursuit of real science by this religious nonsense.

I think people like him are sincere and don't even realise they are deceiving themselves with their false doctrines and fantasies.
They also don't see themselves treating anyone else with contempt. They are trying to treat others the same way they perceive their God treating them and they tend to hate the same things they believe their God hates. To people like him, it is tough love which is supposed to convict the sinners of their sins and cause them to repent so they will be accepted instead of feeling unaccepted by those who believe they hold the highest moral standards possible.
The kind of damage this does is not uncommon. It is the same damage that is done by any religion which brainwashes their members to believe their doctrines. However, none of them see it as damage. They think it is beneficial to people to have something to believe in and something to give them hope in this life and after they die.

As for the pursuit of science. There are also science fanatics who are just as self deceived and lost in their belief that science fiction is real science.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 12:15:24 AM
At 5/24/2016 10:29:52 PM, Skyangel wrote:

There is no shortage of gullible people in this world. America is not the only country with an over abundance of them.

I think it will be a novelty when it first opens and people might go just out of curiosity but I tend to think its one of those places that once you have seen it, you would not go back again.

I think people like him are sincere and don't even realise they are deceiving themselves with their false doctrines and fantasies.
They also don't see themselves treating anyone else with contempt. They are trying to treat others the same way they perceive their God treating them and they tend to hate the same things they believe their God hates. To people like him, it is tough love which is supposed to convict the sinners of their sins and cause them to repent so they will be accepted instead of feeling unaccepted by those who believe they hold the highest moral standards possible.
The kind of damage this does is not uncommon. It is the same damage that is done by any religion which brainwashes their members to believe their doctrines. However, none of them see it as damage. They think it is beneficial to people to have something to believe in and something to give them hope in this life and after they die.

As for the pursuit of science. There are also science fanatics who are just as self deceived and lost in their belief that science fiction is real science.

You were actually sounding rational and I found myself nodding in agreement until this last sentence. It must be true. It is much easier to see the speck of sawdust in someone else's eye than the plank in your own. Yes, we know. The Sun is an eternal ball of lightning resulting from "space weather" and not a condensed hydrogen cloud undergoing fusion. You and Ken Ham are not so far apart. *sigh*
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 12:34:47 AM
At 5/25/2016 12:15:24 AM, dee-em wrote:

You were actually sounding rational and I found myself nodding in agreement until this last sentence. It must be true. It is much easier to see the speck of sawdust in someone else's eye than the plank in your own. Yes, we know. The Sun is an eternal ball of lightning resulting from "space weather" and not a condensed hydrogen cloud undergoing fusion. You and Ken Ham are not so far apart. *sigh*

Neither are you. All people are convinced that what they personally believe is true and most refuse to accept anything that opposes their belief.
In that sense we are all birds of a feather.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 12:58:58 AM
At 5/25/2016 12:34:47 AM, Skyangel wrote:
At 5/25/2016 12:15:24 AM, dee-em wrote:

Neither are you. All people are convinced that what they personally believe is true and most refuse to accept anything that opposes their belief.
In that sense we are all birds of a feather.

Please don't lump your crackpot beliefs in pseudo-science with my acceptance of actual evidence-based science. According to you there is no distinction between astrology and astronomy or between alchemy and chemistry, they are just different beliefs and to be given equal consideration. Only someone as irrational as yourself could fail to see the absurdity of such a position. As I said, you and Ken Ham, birds of a feather indeed. After all, you are from the same state and Queensland has bred all kinds of crazies. Lol.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 1:14:03 AM
At 5/24/2016 12:54:01 PM, desmac wrote:
At 5/24/2016 11:59:18 AM, dee-em wrote:

I think the Vatican had known it for a few centuries previously.

Sure, but I think Hubbard may have been the first to state it explicitly:

"You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion."

And he did!