Total Posts:81|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Let's Ask Atheists : Are they atheists?

Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
bulproof
Posts: 25,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 10:04:26 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.

We reject your claim.
Substantiate your CLAIM that gods exist and we'll go from there.
dogempire
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 10:35:55 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
We don't believe in God because we don't have a reason to believe in God, you have the burden of proof.

Should we also wait for science to disprove the existence of a giant interstellar purple dildo?
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 1:08:13 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


It is not the position of science to prove or disprove theists claims to their gods existence, science has much more relative things to discover. YOU are the one who needs to prove your gods existence.

Science will keep plugging along while we wait for you to do that.

Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 1:55:09 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 1:08:13 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


It is not the position of science to prove or disprove theists claims to their gods existence, science has much more relative things to discover. YOU are the one who needs to prove your gods existence.

My god is scalar waves, force field and black hole. So I thought you'd agree it exists?

Science will keep plugging along while we wait for you to do that.

Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 2:04:04 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.
The transcendental monotheistic god is not a valid scientific conjecture and unlike unicorns (say), can never become a valid scientific conjecture. Hence it can never become a scientific hypothesis, hence never verified nor falsified under observation or experiment.

So there's no point waiting for science on this, Riwaaz. Either God is acceptable to you philosophically, or you reject it -- probably for moral or epistemological reasons.

Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.
In my case, I believe grand theological claims are either invalid, false or immoral. So I reject monotheism on both moral and epistemological grounds.
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 2:20:00 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 2:04:04 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.
The transcendental monotheistic god is not a valid scientific conjecture and unlike unicorns (say), can never become a valid scientific conjecture. Hence it can never become a scientific hypothesis, hence never verified nor falsified under observation or experiment.

That's your way of accepting that modern science is NOT EVEN INITIATED in the pursuit of divine. What's amusing to me is that atheists, more often than not, complain about theists using 'advanced electronic machines' like aeroplanes and home theater systems.

Atheists love science fictions.

So there's no point waiting for science on this, Riwaaz. Either God is acceptable to you philosophically, or you reject it -- probably for moral or epistemological reasons.

Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.
In my case, I believe grand theological claims are either invalid, false or immoral. So I reject monotheism on both moral and epistemological grounds.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
PureX
Posts: 1,530
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 2:44:43 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.

Well, yeah. Because they are atheists, not agnostics.

The philosophical position you are describing is called agnosticism. That is the position of non-determination. While atheism is the position of rejecting a specified theistic proposition.

Keep in mind that one can be both agnostic and atheistic at the same time. Just as one can be agnostic and theistic at the same time. We humans are complex psychological entities that can hold to more than one belief or opinion simultaneously.
v3nesl
Posts: 4,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 2:51:32 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.

If there really are true atheists, they won't be hanging out here. They'll be running a billion dollar company and/or hoping the police don't find out what they're up to. In other words, they are people who don't care, and they don't argue about what they don't care about. They're just busy getting what they can out of their short and meaningless life.

When somebody argues about atheism, they believe in something. They maybe just haven't quite figured out who or what just yet. And sometimes they're just trying to get God's attention. "Go ahead, squash me, just don't ignore me!"
This space for rent.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 3:04:26 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.

Atheism simply means no belief in any god or gods. Yes, science advances and every time it does it crowds the idea of god into a smaller and smaller space since it shows no god is necessary for the universe to be and to function.

In order to enlighten you let me make my position clear. I have heard numerous assertions that some god or gods exist. When I ask for evidence what I get are apologetics and statements of personal 'revelation' that have no actual probative value. I therefore reject those assertions just as you would most likely reject an assertion by me that there is an invisible, wish granting leprechaun living under a toadstool in my back yard with similar 'evidence'. You will not change how you think or act based on my assertion and I will not suddenly change my way of thinking or living due to any unproven assertion of divine existence. That, in essence, makes me an atheist since I don't accept those assertions and hence cannot believe in any god or gods pending actual evidence. I'm an atheist until someone can not only logically argue for their god but show me some actual evidence that I can test and verify independently. Hopefully that clears up an misunderstanding you may have.
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 3:18:49 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 3:04:26 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.

Atheism simply means no belief in any god or gods. Yes, science advances and every time it does it crowds the idea of god into a smaller and smaller space since it shows no god is necessary for the universe to be and to function.

Hindus worship cosmic forces and force fields, this is what derives everything.

In order to enlighten you let me make my position clear. I have heard numerous assertions that some god or gods exist. When I ask for evidence what I get are apologetics and statements of personal 'revelation' that have no actual probative value. I therefore reject those assertions just as you would most likely reject an assertion by me that there is an invisible, wish granting leprechaun living under a toadstool in my back yard with similar 'evidence'. You will not change how you think or act based on my assertion and I will not suddenly change my way of thinking or living due to any unproven assertion of divine existence. That, in essence, makes me an atheist since I don't accept those assertions and hence cannot believe in any god or gods pending actual evidence. I'm an atheist until someone can not only logically argue for their god but show me some actual evidence that I can test and verify independently. Hopefully that clears up an misunderstanding you may have.

Who are you, a bundle of thoughts or something more ? You know yourself, you know God.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
Riwaaz_Ras
Posts: 1,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 3:25:03 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 2:51:32 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.

If there really are true atheists, they won't be hanging out here. They'll be running a billion dollar company and/or hoping the police don't find out what they're up to. In other words, they are people who don't care, and they don't argue about what they don't care about. They're just busy getting what they can out of their short and meaningless life.

When somebody argues about atheism, they believe in something. They maybe just haven't quite figured out who or what just yet. And sometimes they're just trying to get God's attention. "Go ahead, squash me, just don't ignore me!"

I personally think that what you are describing as atheists are actually agnostics. The position of being convinced that nothing can convince me to about God's existence or non existence.
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 4:00:17 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 2:51:32 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.

If there really are true atheists, they won't be hanging out here. They'll be running a billion dollar company and/or hoping the police don't find out what they're up to. In other words, they are people who don't care, and they don't argue about what they don't care about. They're just busy getting what they can out of their short and meaningless life.

In your view, a life without god is meaningless. Noted. Although, it should be pointed out your presupposition of god doesn't give your life meaning or devalue the lives of those who do not share it.

When somebody argues about atheism, they believe in something. They maybe just haven't quite figured out who or what just yet. And sometimes they're just trying to get God's attention. "Go ahead, squash me, just don't ignore me!"

Sure, I believe in many things, V, but no unsubstantiated beliefs significantly shape my life (and none of them are a god concept). We all have unexamined beliefs, but I do my best to correct that oversight when I find some of my own.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
skipsaweirdo
Posts: 1,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 4:30:02 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 10:35:55 AM, dogempire wrote:
We don't believe in God because we don't have a reason to believe in God, you have the burden of proof.

Should we also wait for science to disprove the existence of a giant interstellar purple dildo?
How many modifiers do atheists need to equate to what they claim doesn't exist? A simple three letter word and you've got to use GIANT????? INTERSTELLAR????? PURPLE??????? DILDO???????
All that to make a concoction for a little God doesn't exist example. Geez, I've always known that atheists have emotional problems but the need to over compensate here was just flat out sad....Go see a psychologist , your parents did a number on you with their overly critical dysfunctional approach to parenting ....lol I kid
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 4:57:50 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 3:18:49 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/24/2016 3:04:26 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.

Atheism simply means no belief in any god or gods. Yes, science advances and every time it does it crowds the idea of god into a smaller and smaller space since it shows no god is necessary for the universe to be and to function.


Hindus worship cosmic forces and force fields, this is what derives everything.

Cosmic forces and fields that get names like Brahma and Shiva and Rama, forces they cannot demonstrate or in any way prove.

In order to enlighten you let me make my position clear. I have heard numerous assertions that some god or gods exist. When I ask for evidence what I get are apologetics and statements of personal 'revelation' that have no actual probative value. I therefore reject those assertions just as you would most likely reject an assertion by me that there is an invisible, wish granting leprechaun living under a toadstool in my back yard with similar 'evidence'. You will not change how you think or act based on my assertion and I will not suddenly change my way of thinking or living due to any unproven assertion of divine existence. That, in essence, makes me an atheist since I don't accept those assertions and hence cannot believe in any god or gods pending actual evidence. I'm an atheist until someone can not only logically argue for their god but show me some actual evidence that I can test and verify independently. Hopefully that clears up an misunderstanding you may have.

Who are you, a bundle of thoughts or something more ? You know yourself, you know God.

Non-sequitur. That in no way responds or informs on my personal stance. I base my entire world view on one presupposition. I exist. Since I exist and I sense the world around me and interact with other similar beings I assume they exist. That's all any of us can really do.
v3nesl
Posts: 4,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 5:08:42 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 4:00:17 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/24/2016 2:51:32 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.

If there really are true atheists, they won't be hanging out here. They'll be running a billion dollar company and/or hoping the police don't find out what they're up to. In other words, they are people who don't care, and they don't argue about what they don't care about. They're just busy getting what they can out of their short and meaningless life.

In your view, a life without god is meaningless. Noted.

Is that some backhand attempt to shame me?

Life means something, or it doesn't. Let us illustrate like this: What is the meaning of the following phrase? "x88ndjhh ouiiup"


When somebody argues about atheism, they believe in something. They maybe just haven't quite figured out who or what just yet. And sometimes they're just trying to get God's attention. "Go ahead, squash me, just don't ignore me!"

Sure, I believe in many things, V, but no unsubstantiated beliefs significantly shape my life (and none of them are a god concept).

uh huh. But you feel the need to tell me that. You want me to have a correct opinion about what you think. That's quite a remarkable thing, if you really think about it.
This space for rent.
Fly
Posts: 2,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 6:24:40 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.

I would go so far as to say that any vocal atheist on here believes the God of Abraham (as defined in Christianity, Islam, or Judaism) does not exist-- basically, any well-defined deity chronicled by man via mythology throughout history does not exist.

BUT when it comes to some more obscure, undefined entity, Spinoza's God for example, I would say that atheists here admittedly don't know or simply lack a belief in that sort of deity.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 6:55:30 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 5:08:42 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/24/2016 4:00:17 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/24/2016 2:51:32 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.

If there really are true atheists, they won't be hanging out here. They'll be running a billion dollar company and/or hoping the police don't find out what they're up to. In other words, they are people who don't care, and they don't argue about what they don't care about. They're just busy getting what they can out of their short and meaningless life.

In your view, a life without god is meaningless. Noted.

Is that some backhand attempt to shame me?

No, not at all. I acknowledge your opinion of what makes life meaningful. I am treating your view with respect in spite of you suggesting any other view is meaningless.

Life means something, or it doesn't.

..and what does this have to do with not believing in god?


When somebody argues about atheism, they believe in something. They maybe just haven't quite figured out who or what just yet. And sometimes they're just trying to get God's attention. "Go ahead, squash me, just don't ignore me!"

Sure, I believe in many things, V, but no unsubstantiated beliefs significantly shape my life (and none of them are a god concept).

uh huh. But you feel the need to tell me that. You want me to have a correct opinion about what you think. That's quite a remarkable thing, if you really think about it.

Not just my views, V, but that of atheists in general. My views are not unique. I assume you would not want to ignorantly (or maliciously) misrepresent an entire group. ;-)
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 7:24:24 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 2:20:00 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/24/2016 2:04:04 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.
The transcendental monotheistic god is not a valid scientific conjecture and unlike unicorns (say), can never become a valid scientific conjecture. Hence it can never become a scientific hypothesis, hence never verified nor falsified under observation or experiment.

That's your way of accepting that modern science is NOT EVEN INITIATED in the pursuit of divine.

No, that's a strawman, Riwaaz.

It's also false.

Modern science began with virtually all its practitioners believing that scientific exploration would validate religious mythology and reveal more about God.
v3nesl
Posts: 4,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 9:23:40 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 6:55:30 PM, Skepticalone wrote:


Not just my views, V, but that of atheists in general. My views are not unique. I assume you would not want to ignorantly (or maliciously) misrepresent an entire group. ;-)

Well, I do know that if I give up and become an atheist some day, I'm not going to become a member of some other sort of collective. No group for me. If I stop believing, I'll just stop believing.

But I can't imagine that happening. I want to know more, not less. If we are just a long string of mutations I think we should all agree to pretend otherwise. As you illustrate, we humans aren't really comfortable with the idea that it's all completely pointless.
This space for rent.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 9:33:58 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 9:23:40 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/24/2016 6:55:30 PM, Skepticalone wrote:


Not just my views, V, but that of atheists in general. My views are not unique. I assume you would not want to ignorantly (or maliciously) misrepresent an entire group. ;-)

Well, I do know that if I give up and become an atheist some day, I'm not going to become a member of some other sort of collective. No group for me. If I stop believing, I'll just stop believing.

But I can't imagine that happening. I want to know more, not less. If we are just a long string of mutations I think we should all agree to pretend otherwise. As you illustrate, we humans aren't really comfortable with the idea that it's all completely pointless.

If you need religion to give your life a 'point' then you must lead a pretty empty one.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 10:17:23 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 9:23:40 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/24/2016 6:55:30 PM, Skepticalone wrote:


Not just my views, V, but that of atheists in general. My views are not unique. I assume you would not want to ignorantly (or maliciously) misrepresent an entire group. ;-)

Well, I do know that if I give up and become an atheist some day, I'm not going to become a member of some other sort of collective. No group for me. If I stop believing, I'll just stop believing.

That is as it should be. If that reality ever came to be, I'm sure you would not let other people (who don't share your views) tell you what your views are or should be.

But I can't imagine that happening. I want to know more, not less. If we are just a long string of mutations I think we should all agree to pretend otherwise. As you illustrate, we humans aren't really comfortable with the idea that it's all completely pointless.

If anything, you should have concluded humans aren't comfortable with others misrepresenting their views.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 11:45:35 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 1:55:09 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
At 5/24/2016 1:08:13 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


It is not the position of science to prove or disprove theists claims to their gods existence, science has much more relative things to discover. YOU are the one who needs to prove your gods existence.

My god is scalar waves, force field and black hole. So I thought you'd agree it exists?

Sorry, but those aren't gods. Try again.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 11:55:41 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 2:51:32 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.

If there really are true atheists, they won't be hanging out here. They'll be running a billion dollar company and/or hoping the police don't find out what they're up to. In other words, they are people who don't care, and they don't argue about what they don't care about. They're just busy getting what they can out of their short and meaningless life.

So, hanging around the Science forum posting dishonest comments and lies about well understood scientific theories, which you don't understand, gives your life meaning.

I'll try to remember that.

When somebody argues about atheism, they believe in something. They maybe just haven't quite figured out who or what just yet. And sometimes they're just trying to get God's attention. "Go ahead, squash me, just don't ignore me!"

Just because you have irrational delusions doesn't mean everyone has them.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
SNP1
Posts: 2,406
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 1:40:21 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


Modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position on whether married bachelors, square circles, etc. exist until it is proven or unproven.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
v3nesl
Posts: 4,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 1:45:42 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 9:33:58 PM, dhardage wrote:
At 5/24/2016 9:23:40 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/24/2016 6:55:30 PM, Skepticalone wrote:


Not just my views, V, but that of atheists in general. My views are not unique. I assume you would not want to ignorantly (or maliciously) misrepresent an entire group. ;-)

Well, I do know that if I give up and become an atheist some day, I'm not going to become a member of some other sort of collective. No group for me. If I stop believing, I'll just stop believing.

But I can't imagine that happening. I want to know more, not less. If we are just a long string of mutations I think we should all agree to pretend otherwise. As you illustrate, we humans aren't really comfortable with the idea that it's all completely pointless.

If you need religion to give your life a 'point' then you must lead a pretty empty one.

Now you are definitely trying to shame me, aren't you? lol. The vast empty spaces between galaxies are so disappointed with me.
This space for rent.
bulproof
Posts: 25,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 2:48:14 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 2:51:32 PM, v3nesl wrote:
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:
We are reminded again and again that atheism is the lack of belief in God (s).

Then, we witness people calling themselves atheists arguing -

there is no God
or
how can be someone so stupid /ignorant to believe in God
or
God doesn't make sense

This is disbelief in God.

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.


Think.. how atheistic atheists really are.

If there really are true atheists, they won't be hanging out here. They'll be running a billion dollar company and/or hoping the police don't find out what they're up to. In other words, they are people who don't care, and they don't argue about what they don't care about. They're just busy getting what they can out of their short and meaningless life.

When somebody argues about atheism, they believe in something. They maybe just haven't quite figured out who or what just yet. And sometimes they're just trying to get God's attention. "Go ahead, squash me, just don't ignore me!"
Personally I believe, based on all available evidence, that you wouldn't know what atheism is if it was f*cking you.
bulproof
Posts: 25,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 2:53:26 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 9:23:40 PM, v3nesl wrote:
If we are just a long string of mutations I think we should all agree to pretend otherwise.
And hence the creationof god/afterlife, the pretense you so desperately need.
Outplayz
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 3:42:57 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.

I say this all the time. However, i can argue a theist belonging to an organized religion; why they are wrong. Number one reason being they have no idea what/who they are arguing/debating for... they just do it to feel better. While, there are true spiritual people out there really trying to figure things out ... but hey, they are usually (mostly) dismissed as being the Antichrist, etc just bc the theists' little brains can't comprehend that "god did it" is a primitive understanding of "god(s)"... I invite you to start a thread of belief, and i will explain to you how my atheistic way of looking at spirituality is more viable than anything i have personally heard so far. There is a infinite collection of immortals (aware mass-less consciousness/sentience) just as diverse as human beings are ... no need for a god or gods in such a platform. Just beings looking for existence/non-existence. This universe is just one of many existences... how many existences? Well, as many as our imaginations have already pondered - maybe times another infinitely. Still, no need for god(s) in this platform.

I am not doing this to boast or say my view is better; i am someone spiritual waiting for what you are asking here. I can't wait until the day science and spirituality work together; although they are already in ways, maybe more with new ideas. Science just needs to advance to take that challenge, which i am sure it is willing to. Either it will keep hitting nothing, or find something... but, if nothing then that means we need to change the platform in which it is trying to be studied. I have one platform that includes everyone... or at least, i am trying to make such platform. Why? Bc everything is scattered right now, the puzzle pieces are being mixed with other puzzle pieces... how are we suppose to study or look for spirituality (Make the picture in the puzzle) when everything is so scattered? We need one platform. That is where my interests lay. I will do my best, even if i am called Antichrist, to think of this platform in hopes that either i or someone will catch on... actually, i am optimistic a little bc i think it is catching on with the younger generations, but i may be wrong in my early speculation.
v3nesl
Posts: 4,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 12:10:33 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/25/2016 3:42:57 AM, Outplayz wrote:
At 5/24/2016 8:07:50 AM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:

I don't remember any TRUE atheist, who said - wait.. modern science is still progressing. I can't take a position till a divine being is proven or unproven.

I say this all the time. However, i can argue a theist belonging to an organized religion; why they are wrong. Number one reason being they have no idea what/who they are arguing/debating for... they just do it to feel better. While, there are true spiritual people out there really trying to figure things out ... but hey, they are usually (mostly) dismissed as being the Antichrist, etc just bc the theists' little brains can't comprehend that "god did it" is a primitive understanding of "god(s)"... I invite you to start a thread of belief, and i will explain to you how my atheistic way of looking at spirituality is more viable than anything i have personally heard so far.

Guess what? Nobody actually cares what you think.

You know, I actually try to be polite - I could actually be a lot more blunt. But here you go: Atheists suck. You don't suck the way Islamists suck, but you suck. You're just annoying people. So you have no clue about God - so shut up about it then. Let the people who DO know something do the talking
This space for rent.