Jump to topic:

Do you consider

rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 6:15:42 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Does anyone consider the way some Christians act as evidence, or proof that Christianity is invalid or worse?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 6:20:04 PM
At 5/24/2016 6:15:42 PM, rnjs wrote:
Does anyone consider the way some Christians act as evidence, or proof that Christianity is invalid or worse?

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Yes the fact that Christianity produces such people is compelling evidence.

That so few live it out these days is sad.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 6:23:17 PM
At 5/24/2016 6:20:04 PM, Geogeer wrote:

So would similar acts by members of other religions be compelling evidence for the validity of those religions?
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 6:27:23 PM

I think the Bible is evidence that Christianity is invalid.

I think the way Christians act, and what they think is moral, is evidence that Christianity is inferior to lack of religion. The bible, which is Christians' moral authority, condones rape, genocide, murder for imagined crimes, etc. The fact that they try to justify biblical morality has changed my stance from believing in objective morality to believing in subjective morality. If morality was truly objective, I don't believe there would be debate on these subjects. I believe my morality is superior to Christian morality.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 6:46:50 PM
At 5/24/2016 6:23:17 PM, Burzmali wrote:

So would similar acts by members of other religions be compelling evidence for the validity of those religions?

Surely. Evidence is evidence. Once all the evidence is down we can discuss it.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 7:06:30 PM
At 5/24/2016 6:46:50 PM, Geogeer wrote:

How should we resolve such evidence for religions that appear to conflict, then?
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 7:13:25 PM
At 5/24/2016 7:06:30 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 5/24/2016 6:46:50 PM, Geogeer wrote:

How should we resolve such evidence for religions that appear to conflict, then?

Through analysis, like anything else. God (assuming He exists) gave us a rational nature for a reason. Use it.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 9:28:20 PM

No. They act like normal humans, which really has no bearing on whether their religion is true or not.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 10:42:09 PM

Yes, in the following sense...

We can tell when people have effective knowledge (as opposed to simply strong beliefs), because they
1) act consistently;
2) in ways that independently demonstrate better performance; and
3) are readily able to detect their own ignorance and error and improve on it.

Christian theology has failed in all three, in that Christians:
1) are profoundly inconsistent in theological interpretation, and can seldom reconcile their views;
2) do not perform better in terms of scientific insight or human well-being than people who are not Christian; and
3) are notorious for avoiding the recognition of their own ignorance and error both intellectually and in terms of adverse impacts on other human beings.

Consequently, Christian theology is not knowledge in any recognisable sense; it's only disparate, strongly-held and rather stagnant philosophical belief.
persianimmortal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 12:18:34 AM

The thing is we typically judge a belief by the actions of its adherents, but the unfortunate part is that the wrong things done in the name of that religion catch the eyes of the general public more than the good things. But how can we judge in those things are good or bad without knowing what the religion had said in the first place? So the only conclusion we have to draw is that investigation of the Holy Scriptures must take place rather than taking someone else's word for it.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 1:17:45 AM
At 5/24/2016 10:42:09 PM, RuvDraba wrote:
Christian theology is not knowledge in any recognisable sense; it's only disparate, strongly-held and rather stagnant philosophical belief.

A consequence of this is that when Christians hurt or harm other people and groups in the name of doctrine that cannot possibly be knowledge -- or destroy them as they've done repeatedly in the past -- they're doing avoidable evil.

I don't believe all Christian thought does this. For example, there are schools of Christian thought that treat Christian mythology as inspiration and philosophical provocation rather than knowledge, and I'm absolutely fine with that.

However, while ever schools of Christian theology demand the kind of thought that conflates a cherished conjecture with knowledge and do avoidable evil in consequence, it falls to every person of good will -- Christian and non-Christian -- to oppose such theology, and the authorities claimed by those who promote it.

This of course applies to the prescriptive, ignorant theologies of other faiths too.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 1:37:00 AM
Gonna need to see the proof you have that the people in question are Christians. Ever heard of a loaded question fallacy? Well this is one, therefore the only people answering this are deluded into believing they have proof for any of their brainfarts, hint. They won't.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 4:00:19 AM

Proof that it is "not" the "perfect" word of god... I believe there is "spirituality" in the book, but also human fallibility, even if that fallibility is just how the words are interpreted. I haven't read all of it in awhile, and don't wish to again, but when i did read it... i read it a lot differently than i have heard most Christians interpret it. For example, i see no part in how reading "tarot" is wrong... There was a part about talents also, i found that being able to read tarot is a talent... why hide it if you have a talent which happens to be pondering spirituality and its psychological and sociological implications. I forget the specific verses or i would tell you why... but yeah, that's how i see it. I would argue this for all religion... that they are from the imaginations of the past, making them interesting and relevant, but less evolved which should be acknowledged... yet, most are too afraid too (another reason btw i consider - fear).
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 4:56:23 AM

The vast majority of Christians are fine, ordinary people.
Meh!
The-Ancient-Soul
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 5:21:28 AM

For the largest part I firmly believe that Christianity is just plain evil.

I have been on a Christian forum for about 10 years now and have been constantly appalled, shocked, saddened, angered, sickened, etc, over the evil, cruel, vile, deceitful, etc, things they say and do all the time.

But all that aside, here are just SOME of the problems I see with Christianity and it's followers.

They pick and choose what they want to believe and not believe, and in daily life do nothing their alleged "god" demands of them.

They make up the most bizarre interpretations on verses, then constantly fight among themselves over who is "right" and everyone else is "wrong" and going to Hell.

They find a loophole verse or two, or twist a meaning of a verse or two, so they can get out of doing something their "god" demands of them, or mistreat others, steal, cheat, or do whatever their evil hearts desire.

Most are so deeply brainwashed they can only see the world in a distorted manner and their rational thinking ability is completely broken down and inoperable.

Most feel their "god" died for their "sins" so they are free to do as much evil as they want, and firmly believe that they will still be "saved". And no matter how many verses of their own mythology you show them about "good works" being required also, their minds just blank out and they refuse to even acknowledge any of them.

They refuse to accept scientific facts over their mythology. Most even hate science because it proves much of their beliefs wrong. And they teach this hatred of science to their children, who teach it on to the next generation, and on, and on...

True spiritual matters are about God, his judgment process, Heaven, the "afterlife", one's soul, etc, and there is absolutely nothing of merit in their entire book of mythology that gives anyone any understanding on any of it. And what I find particularly appalling is for all these 2,000 or so years of bloodshed to "save" everyone's soul, there is not even a working definition of WHAT a soul even is in their entire book of mythology.

It is a spiritually dead end religion, not only because there is nothing truly spiritual in all of their book of mythology to learn from, but it deceives people that they don't have to do ANYTHING to spiritually evolve to the spiritual level required to pass their judgment. That they can squander their entire lives doing nothing to learn anything spiritual or do good "works". And if some actually do try to follow the verses requiring "good works" to be done also, it's done only out of fear for their "god's" punishment or a Christian "duty", and not out of true heart felt empathy or compassion. So it's a hallow gesture.