Dose anyone belive Adam and Eve....

mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2010 8:07:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/10/2010 8:03:55 PM, Koopin wrote:
Koopin does, but I always gotta go to bed when it comes to religious conversations with atheists...
Why do you ask?

mmm... convenient aint it.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2010 8:13:30 PM
At 12/10/2010 7:30:33 PM, Saint.James wrote:
Story were god made adam and eve they had many childern and then inbreeding became a good thing?

Just before this thread takes off, one of the main excuses for this fact is that the bible literalists claim that the inbreeding wasn't bad because Adam and Eve were perfect and their offspring were almost perfect (O_o) and so on so forth and things weren't bad, (despite the fact that all people would also be directly descended from Noah also, who wouldn't have been a perfect being).
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2010 8:13:33 PM
At 12/10/2010 8:07:45 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 12/10/2010 8:03:55 PM, Koopin wrote:
Koopin does, but I always gotta go to bed when it comes to religious conversations with atheists...
Why do you ask?

mmm... convenient aint it.

*Please wait while we redirect you to another thread. http://www.debate.org... *
kfc
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2010 8:15:42 PM
At 12/10/2010 8:13:33 PM, Koopin wrote:
*Please wait while we redirect you to another thread. http://www.debate.org... *

took me a sec to figure that one out..

I thought you were directing me to a thread where you defend your beliefs.

I guess I shoulda known better though... You got me.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2010 8:18:21 PM
At 12/10/2010 8:15:42 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 12/10/2010 8:13:33 PM, Koopin wrote:

took me a sec to figure that one out..

I thought you were directing me to a thread where you defend your beliefs.

I guess I shoulda known better though... You got me.

Yes Mr. Matt.
One day, you will be as smart as me.
kfc
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2010 8:19:07 PM
At 12/10/2010 8:18:21 PM, Koopin wrote:
Yes Mr. Matt.

I can't wait 8)

Metaphysics:
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2010 8:21:27 PM
At 12/10/2010 8:19:07 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Yes Mr. Matt.

I can't wait 8)

Neither can your fiance!
kfc
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2010 8:23:25 PM
At 12/10/2010 8:21:27 PM, Koopin wrote:
Yes Mr. Matt.

I can't wait 8)

Neither can your fiance!

lol

Metaphysics:
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2010 8:25:11 PM
At 12/10/2010 8:21:27 PM, Koopin wrote:
Yes Mr. Matt.

I can't wait 8)

Neither can your fiancée!

Don't forget the second "e"! :P
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2010 8:54:08 PM
Story were god made adam and eve they had many childern and then inbreeding became a good thing?

Alas there are still those who believe literalistically in the creation myth found in the book of Genesis, they're the theological equivalent of flat-earthers, they're called fundamentalists and disturbingly their numbers in this country are not inconsiderable, and in some communities they even influence the content of the textbooks used to teach and mold the minds of public school kiddies. And there are a lot of them in the religious right clique of the Republican Party, so they also have a dangerous amount of access to political power in America. Unless you don't fear the prospect of waking up one day to find yourself living in a theocracy administered on behalf of Jehovah by the likes of Pat Robertson and Glenn Beck we'd all better watch out for the believers in Adam & Eve!
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Saint.James
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2010 9:19:10 PM
At 12/10/2010 8:54:08 PM, charleslb wrote:

Alas there are still those who believe literalistically in the creation myth found in the book of Genesis, they're the theological equivalent of flat-earthers, they're called fundamentalists and disturbingly their numbers in this country are not inconsiderable, and in some communities they even influence the content of the textbooks used to teach and mold the minds of public school kiddies. And there are a lot of them in the religious right clique of the Republican Party, so they also have a dangerous amount of access to political power in America. Unless you don't fear the prospect of waking up one day to find yourself living in a theocracy administered on behalf of Jehovah by the likes of Pat Robertson and Glenn Beck we'd all better watch out for the believers in Adam & Eve!

I was just asking im a atheist personaly so ya :S
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2010 11:56:58 PM
Some groups of Christians do believe Adam and Eve were real people and lived some 6,000 or so years ago, but they choose a selective reading of the Bible in order to establish this story; the phrase "literal reading" has little meaning anymore when dealing with Biblical claims.

Second, the issue of inbreeding is remedied by showing that God did not command folks to stop having sex with siblings until well after Adam/Eve and Noah's family. Apparently, the genetic defects started at that point. Before then mom, dad, aunts, etc. were prospective partners.

One matter we need to be careful with is calling these Christians "fundamentalists". That term as a different meaning than commonly applied in the secular world and many of the groups fall under evangelicals. Whatever they call themselves, the only honest position for these individuals is to believe that all of this stuff is accurate history, but God worked a miracle to make life and history appear to be something else entirely. If these people did not mess with science, many of us would not be concerned with them.

Also, Glenn Beck is a Mormon, I believe, so he should not be getting too cozy with the religious right as they do not like "his kind".
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
the-good-teacher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2010 1:36:39 AM
At 12/10/2010 8:13:30 PM, Korashk wrote:

Just before this thread takes off, one of the main excuses for this fact is that the bible literalists claim that the inbreeding wasn't bad because Adam and Eve were perfect and their offspring were almost perfect (O_o) and so on so forth and things weren't bad, (despite the fact that all people would also be directly descended from Noah also, who wouldn't have been a perfect being).

"Noah was a JUST man and PERFECT in his generations" (Gene 6:9)

Being "Just" IS being PERFECT
Noah's family were not mingled with the seed of the sons of God, which brought God to repent and bring the flood. - So his family were also "PERFECT"
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2010 11:13:28 AM

Agreed. Anyone with an IQ over 90, who believes in the Adam and Eve(or Noah, for that matter) story literally, is dangerous. An intelligent minded person with no common sense is a scary thing.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2010 11:16:48 AM
At 12/11/2010 1:36:39 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:

Noah's family were not mingled with the seed of the sons of God, which brought God to repent and bring the flood. - So his family were also "PERFECT"

Misquote central...
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2010 11:18:04 AM
Sahelanthropus tchadensis
Orrorin tugenensis
Ardipithecus ramidus
Australopithecus anamensis
Australopithecus afarensis
Kenyanthropus platyops
Australopithecus africanus
Australopithecus garhi
Australopithecus sediba New
Australopithecus aethiopicus
Australopithecus robustus
Australopithecus boisei
Homo habilis
Homo georgicus
Homo erectus
Homo ergaster
Homo antecessor
Homo heidelbergensis
Homo neanderthalensis
Homo floresiensis
Homo sapiens sapiens

Bow before your Afro ancestors . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2010 11:23:23 AM
At 12/11/2010 11:18:04 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Sahelanthropus tchadensis
Orrorin tugenensis
Ardipithecus ramidus
Australopithecus anamensis
Australopithecus afarensis
Kenyanthropus platyops
Australopithecus africanus
Australopithecus garhi
Australopithecus sediba New
Australopithecus aethiopicus
Australopithecus robustus
Australopithecus boisei
Homo habilis
Homo georgicus
Homo erectus
Homo ergaster
Homo antecessor
Homo heidelbergensis
Homo neanderthalensis
Homo floresiensis
Homo sapiens sapiens

Bow before your Afro ancestors . . .

Indeed.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2010 4:48:55 PM
At 12/11/2010 11:13:28 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:

Agreed. Anyone with an IQ over 90, who believes in the Adam and Eve(or Noah, for that matter) story literally, is dangerous. An intelligent minded person with no common sense is a scary thing.

I never knew I was scary... Before you make a bazillion assumptions which I bet you'd like to do, my opinion on genesis is very vague and in some parts contradictory. I don't give Genesis much time to be honest however I am more than willing to believe that there was Adam and Eve rather than there were men and women. Like I said my opinion on this is vague, strange and according to you scary.....BOOOO!!!!
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2010 5:30:56 PM
At 12/11/2010 4:48:55 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

I never knew I was scary... Before you make a bazillion assumptions which I bet you'd like to do, my opinion on genesis is very vague and in some parts contradictory. I don't give Genesis much time to be honest however I am more than willing to believe that there was Adam and Eve rather than there were men and women. Like I said my opinion on this is vague, strange and according to you scary.....BOOOO!!!!

I beg your pardon. You yourself just said your opinion(interpretation) is vague, therefore you do not take the story literally. My point was not toward you, you see? Don't get offended until it's time to get offended, right?
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2010 4:04:19 AM
At 12/11/2010 5:30:56 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
At 12/11/2010 4:48:55 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

I beg your pardon. You yourself just said your opinion(interpretation) is vague, therefore you do not take the story literally. My point was not toward you, you see? Don't get offended until it's time to get offended, right?

I am more inclined in believing a literal Adam and Eve... With that said I suppose you're right I don't take it as literally as I thought.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2010 4:49:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The same people that regard homosexuality as evil, also state that incest was ok adam/eve descendants............ up to a point.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 2:10:07 PM

Don't christians also believe that no human is perfect besides jesus and and only god is perfect? Not to mention that we know that inbreeding causes too many defects and so Adam and Eve is impossible
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2010 2:32:32 PM
At 12/31/2010 2:10:07 PM, rogue wrote:

Don't christians also believe that no human is perfect besides jesus and and only god is perfect? Not to mention that we know that inbreeding causes too many defects and so Adam and Eve is impossible

http://www.debate.org... was perfect . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.