Jump to topic:

Religious double standards

Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 12:45:45 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
I made a comment on Facebook the other day which was in relation to the relationship dispute between my brother and I, and the comment I made was targeting Christianity. Basically the gist of my comment was in respect to how Christians tend to be hypocritical when following Christ's teachings. For instance, I notice a lot of Christians tend to make negative and quite frankly, dangerous remarks regarding transgender issues, yet upon being called on them, they tend to defer to them being sinners or that they're "human."

Or, in my case as I called my older brother out on his lack of communication, he told me "well, I pray for you everyday," as if prayer is a substitute for not communicating with family. for me, I'm starting to think that people often times use religion as a deferment for responsibility. Often times on Facebook people mention God and guns and "f*ck that b*tch" in the same breathe. I just don't get it with religionists. Muslims and Jews are no different and often times I've witnessed them using their holy books as a justification for using racism.

Can anyone of these Abrahamic faiths who indeed follow their doctrine explain this phenomena?
izbo35
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 1:16:13 AM
At 5/26/2016 12:45:45 AM, Hiu wrote:
I made a comment on Facebook the other day which was in relation to the relationship dispute between my brother and I, and the comment I made was targeting Christianity. Basically the gist of my comment was in respect to how Christians tend to be hypocritical when following Christ's teachings. For instance, I notice a lot of Christians tend to make negative and quite frankly, dangerous remarks regarding transgender issues, yet upon being called on them, they tend to defer to them being sinners or that they're "human."

Or, in my case as I called my older brother out on his lack of communication, he told me "well, I pray for you everyday," as if prayer is a substitute for not communicating with family. for me, I'm starting to think that people often times use religion as a deferment for responsibility. Often times on Facebook people mention God and guns and "f*ck that b*tch" in the same breathe. I just don't get it with religionists. Muslims and Jews are no different and often times I've witnessed them using their holy books as a justification for using racism.

Can anyone of these Abrahamic faiths who indeed follow their doctrine explain this phenomena?

Honestly the problem is you can't follow the rules of the religion as often times books contradict each other on many things. The authors were not writting their books to be combined and you can find points to promote any viewpoint. It is time that religious people actually start looking into the history of their religion.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 1:22:22 AM

When Christians say they are praying for you, that is another way of saying you are underneath them.
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 1:25:54 AM
I'm not big on calling people sinners. Homosexuals and transvestites are mentally ill, their mental identity doesn't match their physical identity. They need medical help. But, Liberals don't want them to have help.

As for race, I'm all for equality. We need to stop coddling blacks like their children, and start demanding equal civility from them as we expect from whites. But, Liberals don't want blacks treated as equals.

If I play the sinner card, it's Democrats/Liberals. God will throw them into the lake of fire, like so much worthless trash.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 1:44:36 AM

People are people. Its what they do.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 2:12:39 AM

They are just idiots ... i can't think of anything else. Don't let anyone, including your brother, make you feel less than what you are - powerful. At least in my eyes you are, only you can change my mind if you do not share my speculation, but i see everyone as equal and powerful unless they prove me otherwise. At which point, it would be logical to be condescending and say, "i will pray for you"...
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 6:10:23 AM
At 5/26/2016 1:22:22 AM, matt8800 wrote:

When Christians say they are praying for you, that is another way of saying you are underneath them.

correction. they christians say pray for me, they mean give me money :@
Never fart near dog
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 9:17:28 AM
At 5/26/2016 1:16:13 AM, izbo35 wrote:

Honestly the problem is you can't follow the rules of the religion as often times books contradict each other on many things. The authors were not writting their books to be combined and you can find points to promote any viewpoint. It is time that religious people actually start looking into the history of their religion.

I agree....I feel as if contemporary monotheists are constantly hypocritical.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 9:18:49 AM
At 5/26/2016 1:25:54 AM, Rukado wrote:
I'm not big on calling people sinners. Homosexuals and transvestites are mentally ill, their mental identity doesn't match their physical identity. They need medical help. But, Liberals don't want them to have help.

As for race, I'm all for equality. We need to stop coddling blacks like their children, and start demanding equal civility from them as we expect from whites. But, Liberals don't want blacks treated as equals.

If I play the sinner card, it's Democrats/Liberals. God will throw them into the lake of fire, like so much worthless trash.

How is homosexuality a mental illness when the APA (American Psychological Association) explicitly states that it isn't?
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 9:28:56 AM
At 5/26/2016 2:12:39 AM, Outplayz wrote:

They are just idiots ... i can't think of anything else. Don't let anyone, including your brother, make you feel less than what you are - powerful. At least in my eyes you are, only you can change my mind if you do not share my speculation, but i see everyone as equal and powerful unless they prove me otherwise. At which point, it would be logical to be condescending and say, "i will pray for you"...

Thank You. It's not so much my brother or any other religionist, making me feel less than what I am, it is more so questioning the common behavior that I noticed people of the Abrahamic faith do. For example, if you question a Christian for a vice they indulge in, some will say "well, I'm human," or "I'm not Jesus sometimes I fall short." It is almost like their human-ness or their belief in original sin deflects from personal responsibility.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 9:41:29 AM
At 5/26/2016 1:25:54 AM, Rukado wrote:

Religious people are mentally ill but won't seek help no matter how often they are told.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 2:57:02 PM
At 5/26/2016 9:18:49 AM, Hiu wrote:
At 5/26/2016 1:25:54 AM, Rukado wrote
Homosexuals and transvestites are mentally ill, their mental identity doesn't match their physical identity.

How is homosexuality a mental illness when the APA (American Psychological Association) explicitly states that it isn't?

Sorry, Libbie, I go with reason, not authoritarianism.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 4:19:39 PM
At 5/26/2016 2:57:02 PM, Rukado wrote:
Homosexuals and transvestites are mentally ill, their mental identity doesn't match their physical identity.

In that case, it is a real shame that you show none here.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 8:26:47 PM
At 5/26/2016 9:28:56 AM, Hiu wrote:
At 5/26/2016 2:12:39 AM, Outplayz wrote:

Thank You. It's not so much my brother or any other religionist, making me feel less than what I am, it is more so questioning the common behavior that I noticed people of the Abrahamic faith do. For example, if you question a Christian for a vice they indulge in, some will say "well, I'm human," or "I'm not Jesus sometimes I fall short." It is almost like their human-ness or their belief in original sin deflects from personal responsibility.

I agree. This is a topic i really dislike organized religion for... it's like they find ways to not evolve; whereas a logical thinker would accept that they are wrong and evolve. This admittance is missing in some theists, it's almost narcissistic in the way of its behavior. That is why i teach my belief in a way that everyone is responsible for their actions, that the "demon" is internal not external. But of course, to theists listening, i am labelled an Antichrist for my ways of thinking... which has always been ironic to me... but a good example here... bc there is really nothing you can do with some theists. You can explain the most logical spiritual belief and even use it to defend theirs (on some level), but their ignorance and ego will just come to bringing you down. This is what happens, imho, when you have a scattered book of morals that you call divine. I am a spiritual agnostic atheist so i do have some well thought out "what ifs" but i am met with this "double standard" every time i try to explain to a theist as well. It's really funny, they argue the same things atheists argue them: "how do you know" "why should i believe you" etc... Ignorance has no bounds i guess.
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 9:04:04 PM
To self-justify, and excuse, and focus on the flaws of others, to avoid focusing on our own, is just human nature, I suppose. Religionists do it, to be sure, but so does everyone else. The difference is that some religious organizations shamelessly pander to this lust for self-righteousness through the condemnation of others. And they eventually get quite good at it.

Which is why it's important for us to see these organizations and their dogmas for what they are, and not to fall under the spell of their false and harmful lust for self-righteousness. Good on you for being one of those folks who can see it for what it is. And I hope someday your brother will see it, too.
JusAnoCon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 1:20:48 AM

You asked for someone of Faith to explain, yet you are taking answers from those who clearly are not, substituting their views as explanations. Normally, I'd pass this by, as you obviously were just seeking confirmation from your like-minded fellows rather than a genuine answer from the people you were explicitly querying. But, I'll answer anyway, at least from the Christian view.

The core thing you must understand is that to be a Christian, to profess faith in God, is to express yourself hypocritically and acknowledge that hypocrisy. Even the Apostle Paul lamented that fact about himself. God's morality is perfect, but we are not. We can recite what is right and wrong in God's eyes, but we can never perfectly adhere to it because we, along with all humanity, are sinful and evil and, by nature, opposed to God. What you see as Christian Hypocrisy is the tragic flaw every Christian struggles with their whole life.

The only reason that others do not appear hypocritical is that they are following their own morality rather than humbly striving to follow an ideal morality they can never properly mirror. It makes it easy for their words to match their actions, because their actions inform their words. Christians believe that any perception of morality informed only by human thought and experience is inherently flawed by the sinful nature of humanity itself.

God's morality is not human morality, which means, as humans, it will always be impossible for our behavior to match the morality we profess to pursue; a perfect morality cannot be emulated by the imperfect. So, yes, our words will often conflict with our actions. That will never change. But the fact that moral perfection is unachievable is not an excuse to not pursue or profess it. It simply means that we accept that failure is part of that pursuit. We are no more or less sinful than an Atheist, it's just more obvious to everyone when we sin because we don't excuse our actions by adopting a matching morality.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam Inque Hominem Salutem. Soli Deo Gloria.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 2:14:03 AM
At 5/29/2016 1:20:48 AM, JusAnoCon wrote:
The core thing you must understand is that to be a Christian, to profess faith in God, is to express yourself hypocritically and acknowledge that hypocrisy. Even the Apostle Paul lamented that fact about himself. God's morality is perfect, but we are not. We can recite what is right and wrong in God's eyes, but we can never perfectly adhere to it because we, along with all humanity, are sinful and evil and, by nature, opposed to God. What you see as Christian Hypocrisy is the tragic flaw every Christian struggles with their whole life.
Yes. Infanticide is right according to your god's morality.
My morality is far superior to that.
JusAnoCon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 4:27:38 AM
At 5/29/2016 2:14:03 AM, bulproof wrote:
And that is not the topic at hand. I am not going to bite this red herring, as it's a matter for a separate discussion.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 6:33:53 AM
At 5/29/2016 4:27:38 AM, JusAnoCon wrote:
And that is not the topic at hand. I am not going to bite this red herring, as it's a matter for a separate discussion.
You left out this bit.
So is it on topic or not, don't bring your sky fairy's morality up if you don't want it destroyed by your sky fairy's morality.
JusAnoCon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 9:21:31 AM
At 5/29/2016 6:33:53 AM, bulproof wrote:
You left out this bit.
So is it on topic or not, don't bring your sky fairy's morality up if you don't want it destroyed by your sky fairy's morality.

The subject of this thread was why Christians seem morally hypocritical, not to compare and contrast your personal morality. I have answered the question, explained from the Christian perspective, as the OP originally requested. I will not go off on a tangent. Take that as you will.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 9:43:37 AM

I am afraid you are right, such hypocrisy is rampant in all faiths, but is most reprehensible in the case of those who claim to follow Christ.

Christians are commanded, not requested, commanded to love their enemies:

Matthew 5:43-48
43 "You heard that it was said: "You must love your neighbour and hate your enemy." 44 However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise on both the wicked and the good and makes it rain on both the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those loving you, what reward do you have? Are not also the tax collectors doing the same thing? 47 And if you greet your brothers only, what extraordinary thing are you doing? Are not also the people of the nations doing the same thing? 48 You must accordingly be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

And yet how many would do that?

How can you love your enemy when you have them in the sights of your gun?

As you point out, even those who call themselves Christian feel no hesitation in calling other people "despicable fool" or similar, and yet how does Christ view doing that?

Mathew 5:
22 However, I say to you that everyone who continues wrathful with his brother will be accountable to the court of justice; and whoever addresses his brother with an unspeakable word of contempt will be accountable to the Supreme Court; whereas whoever says, "You despicable fool!" will be liable to the fiery Gehenna.

The "fiery Gehenna" represents complete destruction, so I guess Christ views it as serious.

And yet how many behave that way and still call themselves Christian?

Hypocrites every one of them.

Are there any who obey even those difficult commands of Christ.

Yes. The JWs do.

Thousands of JWs, and "pre-JW" followers of Christ have been killed because they refused to disobey even the smallest commands of Jehovah and Christ.

Christians have been killed because they refused to vote in obedience to Christ.

They have died because they refused blood and were refused the alternatives by the hospital treating them.

They have died because they refused to go to war.

They have taken to heart Jesus warning at Matthew 10:39 "Whoever finds his soul will lose it, and whoever loses his soul for my sake will find it." and have died happy in the knowledge that they have died faithfully, for the sake of being obedient to Christ and his father.

Do you love this life too much to give it up for the sake of such obedience?

Then you will lose your eternal life.

Simple as.

If you love Christ and his father you will obey them.

Simple as.

JWs love Christ, and his father, Jehovah, so they do all they can to be found obedient, to death if need be, because they know they cannot lose if they do.

Jehovah is faithful. His son is faithful also.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 9:56:36 AM
At 5/31/2016 9:21:31 AM, JusAnoCon wrote:
At 5/29/2016 6:33:53 AM, bulproof wrote:
You left out this bit.

The subject of this thread was why Christians seem morally hypocritical, not to compare and contrast your personal morality. I have answered the question, explained from the Christian perspective, as the OP originally requested. I will not go off on a tangent. Take that as you will.

Your derail is valid and mine isn't. whatever.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 12:57:07 PM

So, if a doctor tells you that pain in your side is appendicitis and you think it's just a cramp, you'll ignore him instead of going to the hospital, right?
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 1:26:21 PM

Response: It's the same phenomenon employed by atheists/agnostics when they say they deny God because they do not see Him, but accept that they evolved from an ape-like ancestor despite never seeing an ape evolve into a human. Oh, but you have proof because of peer-reviewed research but if asked how do you know it's peer-reviewed the answer is "because it says so". Yet if a religious person says the scripture is true because it says so, they are wrong.

It's hypocrisy on all fronts when both sides deny clear evidence and refuse to give up a faulty belief on faulty logic.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 1:52:15 PM
At 5/31/2016 1:26:21 PM, Fatihah wrote:

Response: It's the same phenomenon employed by atheists/agnostics when they say they deny God because they do not see Him, but accept that they evolved from an ape-like ancestor despite never seeing an ape evolve into a human. Oh, but you have proof because of peer-reviewed research but if asked how do you know it's peer-reviewed the answer is "because it says so". Yet if a religious person says the scripture is true because it says so, they are wrong.

It's hypocrisy on all fronts when both sides deny clear evidence and refuse to give up a faulty belief on faulty logic.

Is it not hypocrisy on Fati's front when he claims that 6 year old children can show their like of sex, and then produce no evidence to support his claim?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 4:41:55 PM

And how does reason suggest that it is a mental illness.

In fact it is neither more nor less than a lack of self control, as is all sin. People get the thought and don't have the self control needed to resist it.

Then they excuse themselves by calling it love when in fact all it is, is sex.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 4:50:59 PM
At 5/31/2016 4:41:55 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

In fact it is neither more nor less than a lack of self control, as is all sin. People get the thought and don't have the self control needed to resist it.

Pig ignorant.
You don't know what love is.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 6:33:20 PM
At 5/31/2016 4:50:59 PM, bulproof wrote:

Pig ignorant.

MAybe not, but I know what it isn't. It isn't sex and does not require sex for its demonstration.

I have known many very loving couples not able to even have sex, who have enjoyed great relationships.

Don't forget Jesus loved John, but there would have been no way he would have ah sex with him.

Also we are commanded to love all our fellow humans regardless of gender but we are prohibited from having sex with any but our wives.

However I think I do know what love is, both from giving and receiving, unfortunately not both at the same time until now.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 7:22:53 PM
At 5/31/2016 6:33:20 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Pig ignorant.

MAybe not, but I know what it isn't. It isn't sex and does not require sex for its demonstration.

I have known many very loving couples not able to even have sex, who have enjoyed great relationships.

Don't forget Jesus loved John, but there would have been no way he would have ah sex with him.

Also we are commanded to love all our fellow humans regardless of gender but we are prohibited from having sex with any but our wives.

So how did you justify serial adultery which ended in 4 divorces?

However I think I do know what love is, both from giving and receiving, unfortunately not both at the same time until now.

Help us out here. Which ones were for love and which ones were for sex only.

You wrote about your relationships:

Marriage 1 lasted 9 years, a gap of about 8 months then:

Marriage 2 lasted 6 months and was a rebound thing., a gap of 6 years and then:

Marriage 3, the remarriage to my first wife lasted 9 years again., A gap of about 3 months, and then:

Marriage 4 lasted for 6 years, even though it too was a probably a rebound mistake., At least there will have been a gap of about

I think I have got over marriages 1 and 2 now, and definitely over 4. 14 years between marriage 4 and marriage 5.

The only reason that marriage 3 happened was that she decided to start studying and become a JW. What I didn't realise was that she had only done so to get me back and wasn't truly interested. I realised fairly soon after we got remarried what I had fallen for, and the strain of it made me somewhat unstable emotionally, which is why that marriage ended.

Marriage 4 ended because I ran away to Cornwall (we lived in York at the time). I travelled that far away because I knew she would try and get me back and I knew I would not be able to afford to go back. I always said that I could not have moved further away without getting my feet wet.

I have no intention of going into why I ran away in detail, but I really did fear for my life, after discovering precisely why a doctor had once describer her as "4 foot 9 1/2 inches of compressed anger". Yes she really was that short, and heaven help anyone who forgot the extra half inch."
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 8:07:52 PM
At 5/31/2016 7:22:53 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 5/31/2016 6:33:20 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Pig ignorant.

So how did you justify serial adultery which ended in 4 divorces?

Help us out here. Which ones were for love and which ones were for sex only.

You wrote about your relationships:

Marriage 1 lasted 9 years, a gap of about 8 months then:

Marriage 2 lasted 6 months and was a rebound thing., a gap of 6 years and then:

Marriage 3, the remarriage to my first wife lasted 9 years again., A gap of about 3 months, and then:

Marriage 4 lasted for 6 years, even though it too was a probably a rebound mistake., At least there will have been a gap of about

I think I have got over marriages 1 and 2 now, and definitely over 4. 14 years between marriage 4 and marriage 5.

The only reason that marriage 3 happened was that she decided to start studying and become a JW. What I didn't realise was that she had only done so to get me back and wasn't truly interested. I realised fairly soon after we got remarried what I had fallen for, and the strain of it made me somewhat unstable emotionally, which is why that marriage ended.

Marriage 4 ended because I ran away to Cornwall (we lived in York at the time). I travelled that far away because I knew she would try and get me back and I knew I would not be able to afford to go back. I always said that I could not have moved further away without getting my feet wet.

I have no intention of going into why I ran away in detail, but I really did fear for my life, after discovering precisely why a doctor had once describer her as "4 foot 9 1/2 inches of compressed anger". Yes she really was that short, and heaven help anyone who forgot the extra half inch."

Every marriage I made was for love on my part. I just wish it had been on their part, though to be fair they though it was.

That is one of the reasons I know how easy it is, today, for people to confuse the two. My wives did.

It is also why I now recognise so fully the wisdom of the scriptural command to keep sex inside marriage, and by that I am not referring to adultery though it obviously applies there also.

No, by that I mean no sex before marriage. At least that way one cause of confusion is removed, then we only have the love / convenience dichotomy.

However sometimes, if you work on it, a marriage of convenience can become a marriage of love, as so often happens in arranged marriages. The successful ones anyway.

Presumably that can also be the same for a marriage based originally on sex, but it does require both to work on the love side of it. None of my wives did which says an awful lot about my wisdom in choosing, or complete lack of it in the past.

I have certainly proven the wisdom of the old song "Falling in love with love is falling for make believe". I fell in love with the feeling of being in love, and made believe that they loved me.

I know what a fool I have made of myself in the past, and I am paying the price for that in having a very bitter ex wife who has turned my sons completely against me, something that hurts me every day.

I don't need such as you to remind me of it. But the past is the past, I and I look more to the future than the disasters I have left behind me, since there is nothing I can do now to change them.

That is why your petty harassments cannot touch me, try as you might.

I remain more rational, and grounded than I have ever been, thanks to Jehovah, his son, his spirit and his word. and you can't unsettle that.