Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Truth or guess work

Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 1:00:49 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
It is very understandable that the religions of the world get a hammering. there is reportedly 33,000 so called Christian religions and 424 catholic denominations alone.

The common denominator is none of them agree with the other, therefore there can be no comparisons with the religion and the Bible. Why? Well, no matter what subject you try, there is only one truth of that subject, which would give us the momentous statistic that there is 32,999 wrong religions and only one Truth.

You may never find out that one truth, but you can start by comparing the religions that have heaps of pagan ritual in their "Christian faith" and looking up what the Christian Bible, the work shop manual for Christians, says about the rites and practices.

The trinity, heaven and hell, Mary going to heaven in human form, speaking in tongues in the present day with no one understanding what is being said, baptising babies,tithing, Easter and Xmas, eating Jesus flesh and drinking his blood, are all under serious question when you try to find proof in the Bible.

One simple question on the trinity: Most religions use John 1:1 to prove the trinity.
"In the beginning" the scripture begins, Please explain what that was the beginning of, don't worry about the rest of the scripture, just yet, just the 'In the beginning' bit.

Probably the most accurate religion of all is being an agnostic, they don't believe in anything, so they can never be wrong, Hey! Just joking folk!
izbo35
Posts: 27
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 1:10:28 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
It isn't even guess work at this point, it is honestly lack of trying to educate yourself. Their is so much information out their on religion and the issues with it but most people don't even bother to look it up. The only logical position is atheist as their is no reason to believe any of it and the lack of believing is atheism.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,130
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 2:50:26 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 1:00:49 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
It is very understandable that the religions of the world get a hammering. there is reportedly 33,000 so called Christian religions and 424 catholic denominations alone.

The common denominator is none of them agree with the other, therefore there can be no comparisons with the religion and the Bible. Why? Well, no matter what subject you try, there is only one truth of that subject, which would give us the momentous statistic that there is 32,999 wrong religions and only one Truth.

...or no Truth and 33,000 wrong denominations.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 3:49:20 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 1:00:49 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
It is very understandable that the religions of the world get a hammering. there is reportedly 33,000 so called Christian religions and 424 catholic denominations alone.

The common denominator is none of them agree with the other, therefore there can be no comparisons with the religion and the Bible. Why? Well, no matter what subject you try, there is only one truth of that subject, which would give us the momentous statistic that there is 32,999 wrong religions and only one Truth.

You may never find out that one truth, but you can start by comparing the religions that have heaps of pagan ritual in their "Christian faith" and looking up what the Christian Bible, the work shop manual for Christians, says about the rites and practices.

The trinity, heaven and hell, Mary going to heaven in human form, speaking in tongues in the present day with no one understanding what is being said, baptising babies,tithing, Easter and Xmas, eating Jesus flesh and drinking his blood, are all under serious question when you try to find proof in the Bible.

One simple question on the trinity: Most religions use John 1:1 to prove the trinity.
"In the beginning" the scripture begins, Please explain what that was the beginning of, don't worry about the rest of the scripture, just yet, just the 'In the beginning' bit.

What "in the beginning" may or may not mean in the passage has little to do with the fact that " ... and God was the Word", or - rearranged - "... and the Word was God."

Be that as it may, the phrase "in the beginning" has various meanings in scripture. At times, it refers back to the creation of the world. Other times it refers to the creation of man. Other times it refers back to a specific event, such as Pentecost. At times, it simply means "time indefinite", or more accurately, before there was such a thing as time.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 3:51:46 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 2:50:26 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/26/2016 1:00:49 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
It is very understandable that the religions of the world get a hammering. there is reportedly 33,000 so called Christian religions and 424 catholic denominations alone.

The common denominator is none of them agree with the other, therefore there can be no comparisons with the religion and the Bible. Why? Well, no matter what subject you try, there is only one truth of that subject, which would give us the momentous statistic that there is 32,999 wrong religions and only one Truth.

...or no Truth and 33,000 wrong denominations.

I doubt there are anywhere near 33,000, but nonetheless ANYBODY who even advances the claim of being "in a denomination" is wrong to start with on that count alone.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Logic_Not_Ignorance
Posts: 101
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 4:06:26 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 1:00:49 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
It is very understandable that the religions of the world get a hammering. there is reportedly 33,000 so called Christian religions and 424 catholic denominations alone.

The common denominator is none of them agree with the other, therefore there can be no comparisons with the religion and the Bible. Why? Well, no matter what subject you try, there is only one truth of that subject, which would give us the momentous statistic that there is 32,999 wrong religions and only one Truth.

You may never find out that one truth, but you can start by comparing the religions that have heaps of pagan ritual in their "Christian faith" and looking up what the Christian Bible, the work shop manual for Christians, says about the rites and practices.

The trinity, heaven and hell, Mary going to heaven in human form, speaking in tongues in the present day with no one understanding what is being said, baptising babies,tithing, Easter and Xmas, eating Jesus flesh and drinking his blood, are all under serious question when you try to find proof in the Bible.

One simple question on the trinity: Most religions use John 1:1 to prove the trinity.
"In the beginning" the scripture begins, Please explain what that was the beginning of, don't worry about the rest of the scripture, just yet, just the 'In the beginning' bit.

Probably the most accurate religion of all is being an agnostic, they don't believe in anything, so they can never be wrong, Hey! Just joking folk!

I don't mean to be a smarty pants here, but atheism is the belief in nothing. An agnostic just believes that nothing can be known for sure. They do not claim to believe in or deny God's existence. It's just terminology, though.

(I am agnostic-atheist, by the way.)
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,130
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 4:09:55 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 3:51:46 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 5/26/2016 2:50:26 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/26/2016 1:00:49 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
It is very understandable that the religions of the world get a hammering. there is reportedly 33,000 so called Christian religions and 424 catholic denominations alone.

The common denominator is none of them agree with the other, therefore there can be no comparisons with the religion and the Bible. Why? Well, no matter what subject you try, there is only one truth of that subject, which would give us the momentous statistic that there is 32,999 wrong religions and only one Truth.

...or no Truth and 33,000 wrong denominations.

I doubt there are anywhere near 33,000, but nonetheless ANYBODY who even advances the claim of being "in a denomination" is wrong to start with on that count alone.

I think that might be what the OP is saying as well. Although, I'm not really sure what the alternative would be. Individual worship or non-nenominational worship?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 4:20:52 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 4:09:55 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/26/2016 3:51:46 AM, annanicole wrote:
At 5/26/2016 2:50:26 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/26/2016 1:00:49 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
It is very understandable that the religions of the world get a hammering. there is reportedly 33,000 so called Christian religions and 424 catholic denominations alone.

The common denominator is none of them agree with the other, therefore there can be no comparisons with the religion and the Bible. Why? Well, no matter what subject you try, there is only one truth of that subject, which would give us the momentous statistic that there is 32,999 wrong religions and only one Truth.

...or no Truth and 33,000 wrong denominations.

I doubt there are anywhere near 33,000, but nonetheless ANYBODY who even advances the claim of being "in a denomination" is wrong to start with on that count alone.

I think that might be what the OP is saying as well. Although, I'm not really sure what the alternative would be. Individual worship or non-nenominational worship?

I have no idea what the "punch line" to his OP is. Individual worship to the point of excluding worship in assemblies would be just as wrong as denominations, so I would say "non-denominational worship" would be the way to go. In fact, I would go so far as the say that the "denominational attitude" or "party spirit" is where the real error is - or where it begins.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
Outplayz
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 4:24:52 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 1:00:49 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
It is very understandable that the religions of the world get a hammering. there is reportedly 33,000 so called Christian religions and 424 catholic denominations alone.

The common denominator is none of them agree with the other, therefore there can be no comparisons with the religion and the Bible. Why? Well, no matter what subject you try, there is only one truth of that subject, which would give us the momentous statistic that there is 32,999 wrong religions and only one Truth.

You may never find out that one truth, but you can start by comparing the religions that have heaps of pagan ritual in their "Christian faith" and looking up what the Christian Bible, the work shop manual for Christians, says about the rites and practices.

The trinity, heaven and hell, Mary going to heaven in human form, speaking in tongues in the present day with no one understanding what is being said, baptising babies,tithing, Easter and Xmas, eating Jesus flesh and drinking his blood, are all under serious question when you try to find proof in the Bible.

One simple question on the trinity: Most religions use John 1:1 to prove the trinity.
"In the beginning" the scripture begins, Please explain what that was the beginning of, don't worry about the rest of the scripture, just yet, just the 'In the beginning' bit.

Probably the most accurate religion of all is being an agnostic, they don't believe in anything, so they can never be wrong, Hey! Just joking folk!

You were on to something for a second. I consider Agnostic Atheist - Spiritual to be the most honest stance at this point... so you kind of got some of it in regards to me at least.

But... why can't everyone be right (i am not talking about the contradictions in words which are man made)? Why can't truth be what the observer thinks is ... true? God and Satan are just characters that you balance within yourself... Do you not think "religion" or "spirituality" is hard to pinpoint bc it is as subjective and different as we are? There literally can be a universe for every denomination you talked about, and that would make sense. I have also heard what some theists think heaven would be... which was more like hell (no offence meant) to me. However, i never tell them they are wrong, bc they can go to that paradise, i just won't - that is why i am sure there is more than one, more than one answer, more than one truth. You can tell me if my reasoning is off, but i feel the puzzle pieces can only make a picture when we have the correct pieces to the picture we are trying to see.
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 9:40:07 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 4:24:52 AM, Outplayz wrote:
At 5/26/2016 1:00:49 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
It is very understandable that the religions of the world get a hammering. there is reportedly 33,000 so called Christian religions and 424 catholic denominations alone.

The common denominator is none of them agree with the other, therefore there can be no comparisons with the religion and the Bible. Why? Well, no matter what subject you try, there is only one truth of that subject, which would give us the momentous statistic that there is 32,999 wrong religions and only one Truth.

You may never find out that one truth, but you can start by comparing the religions that have heaps of pagan ritual in their "Christian faith" and looking up what the Christian Bible, the work shop manual for Christians, says about the rites and practices.

The trinity, heaven and hell, Mary going to heaven in human form, speaking in tongues in the present day with no one understanding what is being said, baptising babies,tithing, Easter and Xmas, eating Jesus flesh and drinking his blood, are all under serious question when you try to find proof in the Bible.

One simple question on the trinity: Most religions use John 1:1 to prove the trinity.
"In the beginning" the scripture begins, Please explain what that was the beginning of, don't worry about the rest of the scripture, just yet, just the 'In the beginning' bit.

Probably the most accurate religion of all is being an agnostic, they don't believe in anything, so they can never be wrong, Hey! Just joking folk!

You were on to something for a second. I consider Agnostic Atheist - Spiritual to be the most honest stance at this point... so you kind of got some of it in regards to me at least.

But... why can't everyone be right (i am not talking about the contradictions in words which are man made)? Why can't truth be what the observer thinks is ... true? God and Satan are just characters that you balance within yourself... Do you not think "religion" or "spirituality" is hard to pinpoint bc it is as subjective and different as we are? There literally can be a universe for every denomination you talked about, and that would make sense. I have also heard what some theists think heaven would be... which was more like hell (no offence meant) to me. However, i never tell them they are wrong, bc they can go to that paradise, i just won't - that is why i am sure there is more than one, more than one answer, more than one truth. You can tell me if my reasoning is off, but i feel the puzzle pieces can only make a picture when we have the correct pieces to the picture we are trying to see.

ME: So do you consider that your opinion is the one truth? Isn't truth singular, is there such a thing as thruths? You have a name, you can say my name is truly (FRED); however you have also another truth..."You can call me what ever." Is that also a truth.

If everything was the truth according to all,as they perceived it, we would be in a more chaotic world that we are already. There would be no reality.
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 9:42:12 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 2:50:26 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/26/2016 1:00:49 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
It is very understandable that the religions of the world get a hammering. there is reportedly 33,000 so called Christian religions and 424 catholic denominations alone.

The common denominator is none of them agree with the other, therefore there can be no comparisons with the religion and the Bible. Why? Well, no matter what subject you try, there is only one truth of that subject, which would give us the momentous statistic that there is 32,999 wrong religions and only one Truth.

...or no Truth and 33,000 wrong denominations.

ME: But then your comment would not be true, so it would not be worth putting it forward, unless you want the whole of mankind to invent their own lies, which is almost as it is now. Maybe we should be thankful that there is only one truth.
Peternosaint
Posts: 1,166
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 9:44:38 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 1:10:28 AM, izbo35 wrote:
It isn't even guess work at this point, it is honestly lack of trying to educate yourself. Their is so much information out their on religion and the issues with it but most people don't even bother to look it up. The only logical position is atheist as their is no reason to believe any of it and the lack of believing is atheism.

ME: I disagree, and suggest that we should look it up. religion in all its forms has an interest in the here-after, wouldn't it be beneficial if we found the truth about that and started to make an honest attempt as attaining that one truth?
PureX
Posts: 1,528
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 12:39:46 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Religion is the means by which people who believe in the existence of some sort of "God" live their lives by that belief. So it's not the least bit surprising that there will be a great many different doctrines and methods employed, since everyone who believes in God conceive of that God a little differently: each according to their own experience and need.

"God" is not an a material object, nor even a physical phenomena. "God" is an ideal through which we humans often choose to cognate our experience of being. It is an ideal through which we establish the origin, meaning, and purpose, for everything else. Thus the ideal of "God" is as subjective as it is objective. And therefor it would be silly to expect conceptual uniformity, or some singular actuality, that could be verified, or dismissed.
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,130
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 1:43:14 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 9:42:12 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 5/26/2016 2:50:26 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 5/26/2016 1:00:49 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
It is very understandable that the religions of the world get a hammering. there is reportedly 33,000 so called Christian religions and 424 catholic denominations alone.

The common denominator is none of them agree with the other, therefore there can be no comparisons with the religion and the Bible. Why? Well, no matter what subject you try, there is only one truth of that subject, which would give us the momentous statistic that there is 32,999 wrong religions and only one Truth.

...or no Truth and 33,000 wrong denominations.

ME: But then your comment would not be true, so it would not be worth putting it forward, unless you want the whole of mankind to invent their own lies, which is almost as it is now. Maybe we should be thankful that there is only one truth.

That's a non sequitor. It is possible that every religion is wrong. Your Truth is not to be confused with truth.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Outplayz
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 8:26:51 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 9:40:07 AM, Peternosaint wrote:
At 5/26/2016 4:24:52 AM, Outplayz wrote:
At 5/26/2016 1:00:49 AM, Peternosaint wrote:

ME: So do you consider that your opinion is the one truth? Isn't truth singular, is there such a thing as thruths? You have a name, you can say my name is truly (FRED); however you have also another truth..."You can call me what ever." Is that also a truth.

Yes. I do believe my opinion is the one truth, to me. If i play semantics with my name then it is in my hands to do so. If i never wanted to be called anything else, i can control that to a certain level, but then you come along and have the power to call me whatever you want. So, my truth won't be able to invade on yours. Truth is singular, and so am i. And don't forget that i am proposing that there are groups to truths. I have an out of the box way of looking at spirituality. I believe we all came from a specific source, you being a source yourself, but also belonging to a group (some may not, but lets keep it easy). For instance, Thor would be a source, belonging to an overall source of Valhalla. Thor would need certain characteristics to be Thor to an outside observer, and to just be. Thor would also know what he would have to do on earth to make it to his source "Valhalla." This is just a silly example, i know, but i am trying to illustrate what i mean that we "can" belong to a group source.

If everything was the truth according to all,as they perceived it, we would be in a more chaotic world that we are already. There would be no reality.

Now, some may not belong to a group source, some may not have a specific identity, etc. so i agree here, there can be chaos. Yet, i believe there is more "good" to balance out the equation (i actually have a reason why i think there is more good vs. bad so i am not just asserting it). But... nevertheless, there is bad too. Which is why, this world is chaos. Would the world be more chaotic under my line of reasoning, well... i don't know bc it hasn't fully caught on to the world yet, but i don't think it would. I am basically saying people are free to believe what they want... not anything they want. Atheists are actually a good way to look at it - optimistic for me. It proves to me that people will still choose righteousness, compassion, good deed, etc without religion. Overall, i think the world would be less chaotic under my spiritual beliefs actually.