Total Posts:105|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Christians, how do you know right from wrong?

janesix
Posts: 3,444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 10:39:21 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Do you consult your Bible when you need to make a moral decision?

What if the Bible conflicts with your conscience?

What do you do?

Do you go with the what you interpret the Bible to mean, or do you act according to your inner sense of right and wrong?

As an example, the Bible commands not to kill. Would you kill someone in order to protect yourself or your family?
janesix
Posts: 3,444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 11:55:23 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 11:51:55 PM, matt8800 wrote:
Good luck trying to get a straight answer from them without a bunch of double talk and evasion.

Well I am hoping I get some honest answers. It will be interesting to see what they have to say.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 10:39:21 PM, janesix wrote:
Do you consult your Bible when you need to make a moral decision?

What if the Bible conflicts with your conscience?

What do you do?

Do you go with the what you interpret the Bible to mean, or do you act according to your inner sense of right and wrong?

As an example, the Bible commands not to kill. Would you kill someone in order to protect yourself or your family?

Christians don't know the difference between right from wrong, they only know commands in the Bible telling them what to do and what not to do. They are programmed automatons that have no reasoning abilities.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
janesix
Posts: 3,444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 12:04:01 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/27/2016, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/26/2016 10:39:21 PM, janesix wrote:
Do you consult your Bible when you need to make a moral decision?

What if the Bible conflicts with your conscience?

What do you do?

Do you go with the what you interpret the Bible to mean, or do you act according to your inner sense of right and wrong?

As an example, the Bible commands not to kill. Would you kill someone in order to protect yourself or your family?

Christians don't know the difference between right from wrong, they only know commands in the Bible telling them what to do and what not to do. They are programmed automatons that have no reasoning abilities.

I am sure they do know right from wrong like the rest of us. THey just must suffer from terrible cognitive dissonance when trying to make a moral judgement.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 12:06:39 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/27/2016 12:04:01 AM, janesix wrote:
At 5/27/2016, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/26/2016 10:39:21 PM, janesix wrote:
Do you consult your Bible when you need to make a moral decision?

What if the Bible conflicts with your conscience?

What do you do?

Do you go with the what you interpret the Bible to mean, or do you act according to your inner sense of right and wrong?

As an example, the Bible commands not to kill. Would you kill someone in order to protect yourself or your family?

Christians don't know the difference between right from wrong, they only know commands in the Bible telling them what to do and what not to do. They are programmed automatons that have no reasoning abilities.

I am sure they do know right from wrong like the rest of us.

Not, that I've ever seen.

THey just must suffer from terrible cognitive dissonance when trying to make a moral judgement.

They suffer from complete ignorance and delusion on moral judgments.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
janesix
Posts: 3,444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 12:12:58 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/27/2016 12:06:39 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/27/2016 12:04:01 AM, janesix wrote:
At 5/27/2016, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/26/2016 10:39:21 PM, janesix wrote:
Do you consult your Bible when you need to make a moral decision?

What if the Bible conflicts with your conscience?

What do you do?

Do you go with the what you interpret the Bible to mean, or do you act according to your inner sense of right and wrong?

As an example, the Bible commands not to kill. Would you kill someone in order to protect yourself or your family?

Christians don't know the difference between right from wrong, they only know commands in the Bible telling them what to do and what not to do. They are programmed automatons that have no reasoning abilities.

I am sure they do know right from wrong like the rest of us.

Not, that I've ever seen.

THey just must suffer from terrible cognitive dissonance when trying to make a moral judgement.

They suffer from complete ignorance and delusion on moral judgments.

Do you think humans have an innate sense of right and wrong? A conscience?

If so, do you think morals are objective or subjective?
lotsoffun
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 12:14:48 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/27/2016, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/26/2016 10:39:21 PM, janesix wrote:
Do you consult your Bible when you need to make a moral decision?

What if the Bible conflicts with your conscience?

What do you do?

Do you go with the what you interpret the Bible to mean, or do you act according to your inner sense of right and wrong?

As an example, the Bible commands not to kill. Would you kill someone in order to protect yourself or your family?

Christians don't know the difference between right from wrong, they only know commands in the Bible telling them what to do and what not to do. They are programmed automatons that have no reasoning abilities.

I'm not Christian, but I think you're referring to Muslims
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:48:55 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/27/2016 9:28:41 PM, janesix wrote:
Not ONE Christian is going to answer?

You got em.
I'm waiting for a scripture to explain.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,598
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:29:45 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/27/2016 12:14:48 AM, lotsoffun wrote:
At 5/27/2016, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 5/26/2016 10:39:21 PM, janesix wrote:
Do you consult your Bible when you need to make a moral decision?

What if the Bible conflicts with your conscience?

What do you do?

Do you go with the what you interpret the Bible to mean, or do you act according to your inner sense of right and wrong?

As an example, the Bible commands not to kill. Would you kill someone in order to protect yourself or your family?

Christians don't know the difference between right from wrong, they only know commands in the Bible telling them what to do and what not to do. They are programmed automatons that have no reasoning abilities.

I'm not Christian, but I think you're referring to Muslims

If I was referring to Muslims, I would have responded to that reference.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Casten
Posts: 391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 10:22:47 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I don't personally know a Christian who would not kill to protect their family, if it was absolutely necessary.

The original Hebrew clearly meant "thou shalt not murder," anyway. "Kill" is a poor translation for a modern world. There is obviously killing throughout the Bible that is meant to be taken as righteous.
JusAnoCon
Posts: 27
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 11:41:11 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Well, despite the obvious initial hostility in this thread, I'll tackle your question.

As a Christian, I assert that there are three ways we know what is right and wrong. Firstly, as many of you so astutely pointed out, we know from the study of Scripture what God's standard of morality is, and we want to follow this standard of morality to the best of our ability.

The second source of this knowledge is Reason. While Scripture covers in broad strokes the definition of our morality, specific instances may require us to use Reason, informed by our knowledge of Scriture, to draw a moral conclusion.

The third source of morality is what is commonly called the Conscience. Romans 2:14-15 (among other passages) states that our conscience, our 'little voice', our 'shoulder angel', is an act of God; a compass of morality He bound to all mankind to help guide our actions. It is His moral law etched into our souls, so that even absent a reading of the Scriptures, mankind still knows right from wrong.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam Inque Hominem Salutem. Soli Deo Gloria.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 11:58:52 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/28/2016 11:41:11 PM, JusAnoCon wrote:
Well, despite the obvious initial hostility in this thread, I'll tackle your question.

As a Christian, I assert that there are three ways we know what is right and wrong. Firstly, as many of you so astutely pointed out, we know from the study of Scripture what God's standard of morality is, and we want to follow this standard of morality to the best of our ability.

The second source of this knowledge is Reason. While Scripture covers in broad strokes the definition of our morality, specific instances may require us to use Reason, informed by our knowledge of Scriture, to draw a moral conclusion.

The third source of morality is what is commonly called the Conscience. Romans 2:14-15 (among other passages) states that our conscience, our 'little voice', our 'shoulder angel', is an act of God; a compass of morality He bound to all mankind to help guide our actions. It is His moral law etched into our souls, so that even absent a reading of the Scriptures, mankind still knows right from wrong.

Reason and conscience is a good place to start. I think any book that condones rape, killing innocent people and genocide shouldn't be considered as a moral guide for obvious reasons however.
JusAnoCon
Posts: 27
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 12:18:42 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/28/2016 11:58:52 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 5/28/2016 11:41:11 PM, JusAnoCon wrote:
Well, despite the obvious initial hostility in this thread, I'll tackle your question.

As a Christian, I assert that there are three ways we know what is right and wrong. Firstly, as many of you so astutely pointed out, we know from the study of Scripture what God's standard of morality is, and we want to follow this standard of morality to the best of our ability.

The second source of this knowledge is Reason. While Scripture covers in broad strokes the definition of our morality, specific instances may require us to use Reason, informed by our knowledge of Scriture, to draw a moral conclusion.

The third source of morality is what is commonly called the Conscience. Romans 2:14-15 (among other passages) states that our conscience, our 'little voice', our 'shoulder angel', is an act of God; a compass of morality He bound to all mankind to help guide our actions. It is His moral law etched into our souls, so that even absent a reading of the Scriptures, mankind still knows right from wrong.

Reason and conscience is a good place to start. I think any book that condones rape, killing innocent people and genocide shouldn't be considered as a moral guide for obvious reasons however.

It is true that, at times in the past, God called for total war against specific cities, groups, and states as judgement for the evils they had perpetrated. But these calls to war had a set limit; they were enacted only against specific targets, and the call ended when the target was destroyed. As such, the Bible does not call those of us alive today to engage in any such actions. All such wars ended more than two thousand years ago. God alone would be able to call us to such action again, and Christ, who is God, has made it clear that he will not; and no such call to action is given in the teachings of Christ or the writings of the Apostles.

As to your accusation that rape is condoned by Scripture, I challenge you to find an instance where that is true. Forcing oneself upon another sexually is never an action approved of in any form that I have found in over 12 years of study in the Scripture, and I am constantly baffled by people who think it is. Perhaps, if you could find such an instance, I'd gladly take a critical look at it.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam Inque Hominem Salutem. Soli Deo Gloria.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 7:29:59 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/29/2016 12:18:42 AM, JusAnoCon wrote:
At 5/28/2016 11:58:52 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 5/28/2016 11:41:11 PM, JusAnoCon wrote:
Well, despite the obvious initial hostility in this thread, I'll tackle your question.

As a Christian, I assert that there are three ways we know what is right and wrong. Firstly, as many of you so astutely pointed out, we know from the study of Scripture what God's standard of morality is, and we want to follow this standard of morality to the best of our ability.

The second source of this knowledge is Reason. While Scripture covers in broad strokes the definition of our morality, specific instances may require us to use Reason, informed by our knowledge of Scriture, to draw a moral conclusion.

The third source of morality is what is commonly called the Conscience. Romans 2:14-15 (among other passages) states that our conscience, our 'little voice', our 'shoulder angel', is an act of God; a compass of morality He bound to all mankind to help guide our actions. It is His moral law etched into our souls, so that even absent a reading of the Scriptures, mankind still knows right from wrong.

Reason and conscience is a good place to start. I think any book that condones rape, killing innocent people and genocide shouldn't be considered as a moral guide for obvious reasons however.

It is true that, at times in the past, God called for total war against specific cities, groups, and states as judgement for the evils they had perpetrated. But these calls to war had a set limit; they were enacted only against specific targets, and the call ended when the target was destroyed. As such, the Bible does not call those of us alive today to engage in any such actions. All such wars ended more than two thousand years ago. God alone would be able to call us to such action again, and Christ, who is God, has made it clear that he will not; and no such call to action is given in the teachings of Christ or the writings of the Apostles.

As to your accusation that rape is condoned by Scripture, I challenge you to find an instance where that is true. Forcing oneself upon another sexually is never an action approved of in any form that I have found in over 12 years of study in the Scripture, and I am constantly baffled by people who think it is. Perhaps, if you could find such an instance, I'd gladly take a critical look at it.

Fair enough.

Numbers 31:17-18 "Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."

Lets look at 2 different scenarios:

1. Israelites invade neighboring peoples, kill all the males and females that have ever slept with a man. The invading men take the virgins for themselves. (note: Since many girls married soon after they are sexually mature in those days, most virgins would probably be considered around 13 years old or younger).

2. US troops invade Afghanistan, kill all the males and females that have ever slept with a man. The invading men take the virgins for themselves. (Since girls marry very young in that culture, many virgins would be somewhere around 13-15ish)

Would you say that both, one or neither scenarios are immoral?
debater12332
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 7:39:12 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 10:39:21 PM, janesix wrote:
Do you consult your Bible when you need to make a moral decision?

What if the Bible conflicts with your conscience?

What do you do?

Do you go with the what you interpret the Bible to mean, or do you act according to your inner sense of right and wrong?

As an example, the Bible commands not to kill. Would you kill someone in order to protect yourself or your family?

The Ten Commandments say not to Murder. There is a big difference between Murdering someone and killing someone.

Murder: the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.
Kill: cause the death of (a person, animal, or other living thing).
JusAnoCon
Posts: 27
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 8:59:46 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/29/2016 7:29:59 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 5/29/2016 12:18:42 AM, JusAnoCon wrote:
It is true that, at times in the past, God called for total war against specific cities, groups, and states as judgement for the evils they had perpetrated. But these calls to war had a set limit; they were enacted only against specific targets, and the call ended when the target was destroyed. As such, the Bible does not call those of us alive today to engage in any such actions. All such wars ended more than two thousand years ago. God alone would be able to call us to such action again, and Christ, who is God, has made it clear that he will not; and no such call to action is given in the teachings of Christ or the writings of the Apostles.

As to your accusation that rape is condoned by Scripture, I challenge you to find an instance where that is true. Forcing oneself upon another sexually is never an action approved of in any form that I have found in over 12 years of study in the Scripture, and I am constantly baffled by people who think it is. Perhaps, if you could find such an instance, I'd gladly take a critical look at it.

Fair enough.

Numbers 31:17-18 "Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."

Lets look at 2 different scenarios:

1. Israelites invade neighboring peoples, kill all the males and females that have ever slept with a man. The invading men take the virgins for themselves. (note: Since many girls married soon after they are sexually mature in those days, most virgins would probably be considered around 13 years old or younger).

2. US troops invade Afghanistan, kill all the males and females that have ever slept with a man. The invading men take the virgins for themselves. (Since girls marry very young in that culture, many virgins would be somewhere around 13-15ish)

Would you say that both, one or neither scenarios are immoral?

Clarification: Is this a supposed example of rape, or are you trying to challenge something else, unrelated to how Christians know what is right and wrong? Because, of the examples you've given, neither is substantive in the former case. Capture is, after all, not rape; not even implicitly. And in the latter case, I have quite succinctly answered the question posed by this thread already, and I don't see how this changes the answer I gave.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam Inque Hominem Salutem. Soli Deo Gloria.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 9:24:22 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 10:39:21 PM, janesix wrote:
Do you consult your Bible when you need to make a moral decision?

What if the Bible conflicts with your conscience?

Then you train your conscience to fit what the Bible says.

We are born with the capability to have a conscience, but that conscience has to be trained.


What do you do?

Do you go with the what you interpret the Bible to mean, or do you act according to your inner sense of right and wrong?

I follow the teachings in scripture.

Jeremiah 17: 9 The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate.
Who can know it?

Why do people go wrong? Because they do what they want not what is right. They follow their "heart" not their head.

1 Corinthians 8:7
7 However, not all have this knowledge. But some, because of their former association with the idol, eat food as something sacrificed to an idol, and their conscience, being weak, is defiled.

1 Corinthians 8:10
10 For if anyone should see you who have knowledge having a meal in an idol temple, will not the conscience of that one who is weak be emboldened to the point of eating food offered to idols?

1 Corinthians 8:12
12 When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you are sinning against Christ.


As an example, the Bible commands not to kill. Would you kill someone in order to protect yourself or your family?

No because it is wrong, instead I would be like Abraham and show faith in Jehovah's promises, in this case of the resurrection.

Hebrews 11:
17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, as good as offered up Isaac - the man who had gladly received the promises attempted to offer up his only-begotten son - 18 although it had been said to him: "What will be called your offspring will be through Isaac." 19 But he reasoned that God was able to raise him up even from the dead, and he did receive him from there in an illustrative way.

I would simply view it, as Abraham did, as a test of my faith and courage, an opportunity to demonstrate to men and Angels that my faith was real, genuine, solid.

After all, thousands of my brothers in Christ have shown such faith, for whatever reasons, and now await their reward when they are resurrected. Why should I be different?

In fact Jesus set the example of that, and I must follow it.

After all I don't worry about myself or my family going to sleep for a night because I know they will wake up, so why should I worry abut going to sleep for a month? a year? a millennium? or more? as long as I know they, and I will awake I know we will see each other again. I just need faith and patience.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 9:25:01 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/26/2016 10:39:21 PM, janesix wrote:
Do you consult your Bible when you need to make a moral decision?

P. S.

Any true JW would do the same.
tarantula
Posts: 850
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 1:05:29 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/31/2016 9:25:01 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/26/2016 10:39:21 PM, janesix wrote:
Do you consult your Bible when you need to make a moral decision?

P. S.

Any true JW would do the same.

No wonder that cult screws up so very badly! There is much that is wrong in the Bible, like the behaviour attributed to the deity. It hasn't done you much good, has it MCB?

One certainly doesn't need to refer to the Bible to know right from wrong.
bulproof
Posts: 25,203
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 4:10:02 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/29/2016 12:18:42 AM, JusAnoCon wrote:
It is true that, at times in the past, God called for total war against specific cities, groups, and states as judgement for the evils they had perpetrated
Provide evidence of these alleged evils, the bible isn't evidence it's the claim.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:09:01 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/31/2016 1:05:29 PM, tarantula wrote:
At 5/31/2016 9:25:01 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/26/2016 10:39:21 PM, janesix wrote:
Do you consult your Bible when you need to make a moral decision?

P. S.

Any true JW would do the same.

No wonder that cult screws up so very badly! There is much that is wrong in the Bible, like the behaviour attributed to the deity. It hasn't done you much good, has it MCB?

There is nothing wrong with the behaviour of God as reported in the Bible, as you would know if you looked past the surface appearance.

All too often Jehovah has had to do something because, cruel as it may appear it was the best of the options available to him.

He did not choose for mankind to take the path we have, and justice states that there is only so much he can do about it.

What we suffer we suffer either because Adam brought it on us, our parents brought it on us, or we brought it on ourselves.

Jehovah's hands are tied by his standards of justice which means Satan had to be given a chance to prove his case.


One certainly doesn't need to refer to the Bible to know right from wrong.

One shouldn't have to because one's parents should have taught us that in the first place.

Where they didn't we should have taught ourselves later on.

However in the end morality all goes back to Jehovah's teaching even long before it was written in the Bible. The Bible is the ultimate source of understanding of right and wrong available to us today.

Jehovah taught Adam, who failed him.

He also taught all the faithful men from Abel on who didn't fail him, at least no more than they could help doing.

From Abel onward he taught through his son acting as the Word.

From Moses on he taught through the Bible.

At one point he taught through his son on earth, incarnate as Jesus., and then the Apostles who added the final pages to the Bible.

The simple fact that you are happy to judge in ignorance of the truth behind things, rather than making the effort to find out is what condemns you. Mathew 7:1-5.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:14:30 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/31/2016 4:10:02 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/29/2016 12:18:42 AM, JusAnoCon wrote:
It is true that, at times in the past, God called for total war against specific cities, groups, and states as judgement for the evils they had perpetrated
Provide evidence of these alleged evils, the bible isn't evidence it's the claim.

No the Bible is the evidence. It's accuracy is the proof, deny it as you do, ti is accurate and it is true.

I wish the same could be said about the entirety of translations. But no matter because the truth is still in there even if men have tried to hide it. They have failed. All they succeeded in is making it harder to find.

In fact the main purpose of the Bible is to give us the evidence against Satan, much of it written in advance of it's actual happening.

When the last of it is fulfilled, which it will be since no-one can stop Jehovah, the evidence will be complete and the eternal precedent set.

Where there is precedent justice can be swift.
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:43:52 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/31/2016 5:14:30 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/31/2016 4:10:02 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/29/2016 12:18:42 AM, JusAnoCon wrote:
It is true that, at times in the past, God called for total war against specific cities, groups, and states as judgement for the evils they had perpetrated
Provide evidence of these alleged evils, the bible isn't evidence it's the claim.

No the Bible is the evidence. It's accuracy is the proof, deny it as you do, ti is accurate and it is true.

I wish the same could be said about the entirety of translations. But no matter because the truth is still in there even if men have tried to hide it. They have failed. All they succeeded in is making it harder to find.

Are you accepting there are "Major Problems with the New World Translation"

"The Watchtower Society must have been utterly embarrassed when the names of the translators of the New World translation were made known to the public. The reason for concern was the translation committee was completely unqualified for the task. Four of the five men in the committee had no Hebrew or Greek training whatsoever (they had only a high school education)[1]. The Fifth, Fred W. Franz, claimed to know Hebrew and Greek, but upon examination under oath in a court of law in Edinburg Scotland he failed a simple Hebrew test.

In court Franz was asked if he knew Hebrew and he said yes. He said he had a command of various languages including Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Spanish, German, and French. When asked if he speaks Hebrew, he said no. He was then asked if he could translate the fourth verse of Genesis into Hebrew. His answer was NO! The fact was Franz, like the others on the committee, did not have the knowledge to translate Hebrew or Greek. The truth is Franz dropped out of the University of Cincinnati after his sophomore year and even while there, he had not studied anything related to theological issues."

In fact the main purpose of the Bible is to give us the evidence against Satan, much of it written in advance of it's actual happening.

Tbe bible only mentions Satan 53 times. It mentions YHWH 6000 times and man 3000 times. How can the bible be about the evidence against Satan when most characters in the bible are mentioned more often than Satan?
times)
David (971 times)
Moses (803 times)
Jacob (363 times)
Saul (362 times)
Aaron (342 times)
Abraham (294 times, with 57 of those being Abram)
Solomon (272 times)
Joseph (246 times)
Paul (228 times)
Joshua (219 times)
Peter (193 times)
Jeremiah (145 times)
Samuel (142 verses)
Isaac (129 times)
Joab (129 times)

When the last of it is fulfilled, which it will be since no-one can stop Jehovah, the evidence will be complete and the eternal precedent set.

Where there is precedent justice can be swift.
Burzmali
Posts: 1,310
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 6:45:44 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/31/2016 9:24:22 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/26/2016 10:39:21 PM, janesix wrote:
Do you consult your Bible when you need to make a moral decision?

What if the Bible conflicts with your conscience?

Then you train your conscience to fit what the Bible says.

Man, these are the kinds of responses that scare the sh!t out of me.
simplelife
Posts: 134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 6:59:09 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/28/2016 10:22:47 PM, Casten wrote:
I don't personally know a Christian who would not kill to protect their family, if it was absolutely necessary.

The original Hebrew clearly meant "thou shalt not murder," anyway. "Kill" is a poor translation for a modern world. There is obviously killing throughout the Bible that is meant to be taken as righteous. : :

It's impossible for any of God's people to kill anyone. They aren't the one's who produce the thoughts to do the killing. God is the one who provides all the thoughts of his people to make them do what he planned for them to do.

Amos 4
13: For lo, he who forms the mountains, and creates the wind, and declares to man what is his thought;

Deuteronomy 32
39: "`See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Psalm 92
5: How great are thy works, O LORD! Thy thoughts are very deep!
6: The dull man cannot know, the stupid cannot understand this:
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 7:01:23 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/31/2016 5:43:52 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 5/31/2016 5:14:30 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/31/2016 4:10:02 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/29/2016 12:18:42 AM, JusAnoCon wrote:
It is true that, at times in the past, God called for total war against specific cities, groups, and states as judgement for the evils they had perpetrated
Provide evidence of these alleged evils, the bible isn't evidence it's the claim.

No the Bible is the evidence. It's accuracy is the proof, deny it as you do, ti is accurate and it is true.

I wish the same could be said about the entirety of translations. But no matter because the truth is still in there even if men have tried to hide it. They have failed. All they succeeded in is making it harder to find.

Are you accepting there are "Major Problems with the New World Translation"

"The Watchtower Society must have been utterly embarrassed when the names of the translators of the New World translation were made known to the public. The reason for concern was the translation committee was completely unqualified for the task. Four of the five men in the committee had no Hebrew or Greek training whatsoever (they had only a high school education)[1]. The Fifth, Fred W. Franz, claimed to know Hebrew and Greek, but upon examination under oath in a court of law in Edinburg Scotland he failed a simple Hebrew test.

In court Franz was asked if he knew Hebrew and he said yes. He said he had a command of various languages including Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Spanish, German, and French. When asked if he speaks Hebrew, he said no. He was then asked if he could translate the fourth verse of Genesis into Hebrew. His answer was NO! The fact was Franz, like the others on the committee, did not have the knowledge to translate Hebrew or Greek. The truth is Franz dropped out of the University of Cincinnati after his sophomore year and even while there, he had not studied anything related to theological issues."

In fact the main purpose of the Bible is to give us the evidence against Satan, much of it written in advance of it's actual happening.

Tbe bible only mentions Satan 53 times. It mentions YHWH 6000 times and man 3000 times. How can the bible be about the evidence against Satan when most characters in the bible are mentioned more often than Satan?
times)
David (971 times)
Moses (803 times)
Jacob (363 times)
Saul (362 times)
Aaron (342 times)
Abraham (294 times, with 57 of those being Abram)
Solomon (272 times)
Joseph (246 times)
Paul (228 times)
Joshua (219 times)
Peter (193 times)
Jeremiah (145 times)
Samuel (142 verses)
Isaac (129 times)
Joab (129 times)


Are you really so dumb you can't work that out for yourself, it should be obvious.
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 7:03:11 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/31/2016 6:45:44 PM, Burzmali wrote:
At 5/31/2016 9:24:22 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/26/2016 10:39:21 PM, janesix wrote:
Do you consult your Bible when you need to make a moral decision?

What if the Bible conflicts with your conscience?

Then you train your conscience to fit what the Bible says.

Man, these are the kinds of responses that scare the sh!t out of me.

Evidently, but they shouldn't because mankind was created with the capacity to, ad responsibility for doing just that.

Are you really that afraid of taking responsibility for your own thoughts and actions?
Harikrish
Posts: 11,005
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 7:10:59 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/31/2016 7:01:23 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/31/2016 5:43:52 PM, Harikrish wrote:
At 5/31/2016 5:14:30 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 5/31/2016 4:10:02 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/29/2016 12:18:42 AM, JusAnoCon wrote:
It is true that, at times in the past, God called for total war against specific cities, groups, and states as judgement for the evils they had perpetrated
Provide evidence of these alleged evils, the bible isn't evidence it's the claim.

No the Bible is the evidence. It's accuracy is the proof, deny it as you do, ti is accurate and it is true.

I wish the same could be said about the entirety of translations. But no matter because the truth is still in there even if men have tried to hide it. They have failed. All they succeeded in is making it harder to find.

Are you accepting there are "Major Problems with the New World Translation"

"The Watchtower Society must have been utterly embarrassed when the names of the translators of the New World translation were made known to the public. The reason for concern was the translation committee was completely unqualified for the task. Four of the five men in the committee had no Hebrew or Greek training whatsoever (they had only a high school education)[1]. The Fifth, Fred W. Franz, claimed to know Hebrew and Greek, but upon examination under oath in a court of law in Edinburg Scotland he failed a simple Hebrew test.

In court Franz was asked if he knew Hebrew and he said yes. He said he had a command of various languages including Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Spanish, German, and French. When asked if he speaks Hebrew, he said no. He was then asked if he could translate the fourth verse of Genesis into Hebrew. His answer was NO! The fact was Franz, like the others on the committee, did not have the knowledge to translate Hebrew or Greek. The truth is Franz dropped out of the University of Cincinnati after his sophomore year and even while there, he had not studied anything related to theological issues."

In fact the main purpose of the Bible is to give us the evidence against Satan, much of it written in advance of it's actual happening.

Tbe bible only mentions Satan 53 times. It mentions YHWH 6000 times and man 3000 times. How can the bible be about the evidence against Satan when most characters in the bible are mentioned more often than Satan?
times)
David (971 times)
Moses (803 times)
Jacob (363 times)
Saul (362 times)
Aaron (342 times)
Abraham (294 times, with 57 of those being Abram)
Solomon (272 times)
Joseph (246 times)
Paul (228 times)
Joshua (219 times)
Peter (193 times)
Jeremiah (145 times)
Samuel (142 verses)
Isaac (129 times)
Joab (129 times)


Are you really so dumb you can't work that out for yourself, it should be obvious.

The bible makes it clear Satan has no power over anyone unless you give it power over you. The bible is mostly all about Jesus. All the prophesies point to Jesus. But how would a retard like you know. You suffered all your life with serious mental issues.

You wrote:" I'll never be cured. It is not that kind of problem. It is caused by problems at, and immediately after birth which prevented my brains from developing in certain ways, and therefore have caused permanent brain "damage". Unfortunately, since my Mental Health issues are actually physical problems with a brain that never had the chance to develop properly."

You wrote:" I have, as I have mentioned before, certain Mental Health issues, which have, as it turns out, been lifelong and undiagnosed despite a visit to a Psychiatrist, at my adoptive Father's behest, when I was 15. It was almost a further 35 years before it was finally discovered that I had been working under this problem for all my life.