Jump to topic:

Pragmatism and Christianity

dogparktom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2010 7:11:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Is philosophical pragmatism compatible to any significant extent with a belief in the fundamental dogmas of Christianity? I think not. I'd appreciate your advice.

My question is prompted by an excellent book, Reading Obama by James T. Kloppenberg, http://www.amazon.com... which I recently read.

The author, a Harvard professor of American intellectual history, claims that President Obama is guided by a firm belief in the tenets of philosophical pragmatism. However, Obama also has publicly claimed to be a believing Christian. I do not see how the two systems of belief can be reconciled.

I would be grateful for your opinion.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2010 7:34:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/11/2010 7:11:24 AM, dogparktom wrote:
Is philosophical pragmatism compatible to any significant extent with a belief in the fundamental dogmas of Christianity? I think not. I'd appreciate your advice.

My question is prompted by an excellent book, Reading Obama by James T. Kloppenberg, http://www.amazon.com... which I recently read.

The author, a Harvard professor of American intellectual history, claims that President Obama is guided by a firm belief in the tenets of philosophical pragmatism. However, Obama also has publicly claimed to be a believing Christian. I do not see how the two systems of belief can be reconciled.

If you hadn't put the word "dogmas" in there, i would have a much easier time answering the OP.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2010 7:58:15 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/11/2010 7:34:43 AM, innomen wrote:

If you hadn't put the word "dogmas" in there, i would have a much easier time answering the OP.

"dogma"

"a religious doctrine or system of doctrines proclaimed by ecclesiastical authority as true"

"a doctrine or body of doctrines concerning faith or morals formally stated and authoritatively proclaimed by a church"

"something held as an established opinion; especially : a definite authoritative tenet"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2010 8:41:44 AM
At 12/11/2010 7:58:15 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 12/11/2010 7:34:43 AM, innomen wrote:

"dogma"

"a religious doctrine or system of doctrines proclaimed by ecclesiastical authority as true"

"a doctrine or body of doctrines concerning faith or morals formally stated and authoritatively proclaimed by a church"

"something held as an established opinion; especially : a definite authoritative tenet"

Thanks Cody, i know the meaning of it.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2010 10:06:32 AM
I'm unsure of how "compatible" philosophical pragmatism would be to, say, evangelical Christianity, which is what I assume the author was alluding to in the first place. After all, it isn't too practical to believe in a magical bearded dead guy, a white person from an Arab land, who will return with trumpets and dragons to kill several billion people off before settling down for what is actually a very short 1000-year reign, at least compared to history in general.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2010 10:08:05 AM

William James thought so.

As, if Believing in God makes you happy, then it's good to do!

I think there's a bit of a Necessary separation between:
Assuming something as true in order to have a strategy of Getting those things which make you happy... (which is the Pragmatic method I'd support)

and: believing in things b/c the believing itself makes you happy.

which is (the delusional course) he seems to support
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2010 5:29:52 PM

Watch this vid. Obama rips the Bible apart, Christopher Hitchens style. I have serious doubts that Obama is a Christian.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2010 10:33:55 AM
At 12/11/2010 10:08:05 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I think there's a bit of a Necessary separation between:
Assuming something as true in order to have a strategy of Getting those things which make you happy... (which is the Pragmatic method I'd support)

and: believing in things b/c the believing itself makes you happy.

which is (the delusional course) he seems to support

how are those not the same thing just one is paraphrased to be a longer sentance?
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2010 11:30:45 AM
At 12/11/2010 5:29:52 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Watch this vid. Obama rips the Bible apart, Christopher Hitchens style. I have serious doubts that Obama is a Christian.

He ain't a Christian. Can't prove it but I don't think that if he was a Christian anyone would have to debate his religious stance.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2010 11:40:25 AM
At 12/12/2010 11:30:45 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 12/11/2010 5:29:52 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

He ain't a Christian. Can't prove it but I don't think that if he was a Christian anyone would have to debate his religious stance.

I dont know about that. ideally if one is a christian there behavior would make it self evident that they are and there would be no room for question or debate, but I think it rarely works that way. my being a christian should show by not swearing for example but I'm ashamed to say that I have, and still struggle to not do so in fact. plus besides that there will always be judgmental people who will pick out our flaws and make a very big deal out it, and I'm not just talking about this sites best example of that (narcy) but Christians are guilty of it too. So long as they are scoffers who need whatever they can get to ridicule us and as long as there are self righteous religious folk who need to feel there better than you I believe people will find a way to debate if 'you really are...' a christian.
not necessarily defending that obama is in fact one, he at least pretends to be one and for some reason I cant make my self care enough to find out more on the matter.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2010 2:10:44 PM
Christian scriptures do not allow pragmatism at face value. The Bible, by its own accord, is a take all, leave all book. However, due to the many contradictions within the Bible, some pragmatism is required to follow Christianity. When two dogmas are conflicting with one another, a Christian is going to have to choose one or another, which is pragmatism.