Jump to topic:

Comparative mythology.

Humanity-the-destroyer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 3:48:14 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
What is your stance on comparative mythology in context to the Bible. For instance, when looking across religious texts we can see that Jesus' story is certainly not unique. The martyrdom and resurrection we see in him can be seen in greek mythology, Dionysus, and egyptian mythology, Osiris.

There is much more than this and i'll be happy to answer any questions posited. For now I ask you this, can you truly believe the Bible is the one true source of divine revelation without admitting that it borrows core ideas from precursor theologies?
rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:50:01 PM
At 5/28/2016 3:48:14 AM, Humanity-the-destroyer wrote:
What is your stance on comparative mythology in context to the Bible. For instance, when looking across religious texts we can see that Jesus' story is certainly not unique. The martyrdom and resurrection we see in him can be seen in Greek mythology, Dionysus, and egyptian mythology, Osiris.

There is much more than this and i'll be happy to answer any questions posited. For now I ask you this, can you truly believe the Bible is the one true source of divine revelation without admitting that it borrows core ideas from precursor theologies?

There are major differences between Jesus and the Greek myths, that's because they are mythical, Jesus is real.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:54:33 PM
At 5/28/2016 8:50:01 PM, rnjs wrote:
What is your stance on comparative mythology in context to the Bible. For instance, when looking across religious texts we can see that Jesus' story is certainly not unique. The martyrdom and resurrection we see in him can be seen in Greek mythology, Dionysus, and egyptian mythology, Osiris.

There are major differences between Jesus and the Greek myths, that's because they are mythical, Jesus is real.
Jesus is mythology.
There is no proof that he was real.
AnnaCzereda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:56:48 PM
What is your stance on comparative mythology in context to the Bible. For instance, when looking across religious texts we can see that Jesus' story is certainly not unique. The martyrdom and resurrection we see in him can be seen in greek mythology, Dionysus, and egyptian mythology, Osiris.

I don't think the Bible is the only one true source of the divine revelation. I believe that all the religions, also ancient pagan ones, hint at Divinity. They are all intuitive, though fallible, representations of God. I also don't think that Christianity is the only true religion. It's just one path among many other paths to get closer to God and thus achieve the state of Godhood. "I said, You are Gods."
He wished to turn his countenance from the smoldering rubble, but saw from amidst the embers that a few chaff would not burn away. To these, he stared into the eye of God sneering, and called them, 'Promethean.'
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 11:34:32 PM

Many historians believe that there was a Jew named Jesus that lived but no serious scientist believes that he was god, did any miracles, raised from the dead, etc. Those stories were stolen from older myths.

Also, it was common for women in the time of Jesus to say they were impregnated by god to avoid common stigmas for them and their bastard baby. Many people at the time believed them.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 11:36:32 PM

For your perusal: https://en.wikipedia.org...
rnjs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 7:41:46 PM
At 5/28/2016 8:54:33 PM, janesix wrote:

Jesus is mythology.
There is no proof that he was real.

On the contrary, there is much proof of his existence, the Jews could have stopped Christianity with a few lies if there weren't so many witnesses to the actual events.
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 9:32:31 PM
At 5/28/2016 9:56:48 PM, AnnaCzereda wrote:

I don't think the Bible is the only one true source of the divine revelation. I believe that all the religions, also ancient pagan ones, hint at Divinity. They are all intuitive, though fallible, representations of God. I also don't think that Christianity is the only true religion. It's just one path among many other paths to get closer to God and thus achieve the state of Godhood. "I said, You are Gods."

I like how you think... "ye are gods" ;)
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:10:57 AM

I think the same myths get changed slightly over time and through different cultures to fit the cultures traditions, morals etc. However, the basic message is the same which is regarding good overcoming evil. regardless of what mythical characters are involved in the stories.