Jump to topic:

if Isaiah 7:14 is a mistranslation.

Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 12:36:48 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Aishrabbi says so. In christian bible, Isa 7:14 says " Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel." This verse is important for christianity since their apogetic for Jesus not being the descendant of David relies upon this verse. Christians say "in OT, it is said that messiah will be born of a virgin, thus messiah does not beed to be descendand of David through male , father." as an evidence from OT, they quote isaiach 7:14

but when if that verse does not say "virgin"?. let me quote aish rabbi:
"The Christian idea of a virgin birth is derived from the verse in Isaiah 7:14 describing an "alma" as giving birth. The word "alma" has always meant a young woman, but Christian theologians came centuries later and translated it as "virgin." This accords Jesus' birth with the first century pagan idea of mortals being impregnated by gods." http://www.aish.com...

a 'fallacious stupid person' may say "is virgin not a young woman? so, it supports virgin birth" or "virgin too is a young woman, not old. so, it supports virgin birth concept"

let us go into thi stupidity: 1. virgin woman can be old too. old woman can be virgin too. a woman can remain virgin until old ages or her death.
2. as a virgin woman can be a young lady, so can be fucked woman. as much as it supports virgib birth, the verse supports nonvirgin birth as much as it dies vigin birth.
3. since it does not say "virgin woman" but a young woman, the invention "OT says messiah will be from virgin" is not supported by the OT. so, the messiah does not need to be from virgin.

now, the question is: which one is correct. does the verse say young or virgin? how can we be sure? I will try to use google translate. if you know hebrew help us in this thread.
"I'm not as soft or as generous a person as I would be if the world hadn't changed me" Bobby Fischer
Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 12:41:13 PM
http://www.hebrewoldtestament.com... I tried via this site but do not know which word stans for virgin. who can do it?
"I'm not as soft or as generous a person as I would be if the world hadn't changed me" Bobby Fischer
Artur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 12:54:44 PM
gotquestions.org supports that the hebrew word used in 7:14 actually means young woman but gives arguement for translating that as virgin. Quote:

"The Hebrew word in Isaiah 7:14 is "almah," and its inherent meaning is "young woman." "Almah" can mean "virgin," as young unmarried women in ancient Hebrew culture were assumed to be virgins. Again, though, the word does not necessarily imply virginity. "Almah" occurs seven times in the Hebrew Scriptures (Genesis 24:43; Exodus 2:8; Psalm 68:25; Proverbs 30:19; Song of Solomon 1:3; 6:8; Isaiah 7:14). None of these instances demands the meaning "virgin," but neither do they deny the possible meaning of "virgin." There is no conclusive argument for "almah" in Isaiah 7:14 being either "young woman" or "virgin." However, it is interesting to note, that in the 3rd century B.C., when a panel of Hebrew scholars and Jewish rabbis began the process of translating the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek, they used the specific Greek word for virgin, "parthenos," not the more generic Greek word for "young woman." The Septuagint translators, 200+ years before the birth of Christ, and with no inherent belief in a "virgin birth," translated "almah" in Isaiah 7:14 as "virgin," not "young woman." This gives evidence that "virgin" is a possible, even likely, meaning of the term."

Here are some questions:

1. Did the jews mentioned above really translated on that way?
2. even if they did, what does it prove? they translated on that way means nothing since the messiah is not identified with what they think but whay is written in Torah.
3. Is that aforementioned translation the only variation or are there a translations translted by jews before xtianity but says young woman instead of virgin woman?
4. it too deals with the fallacy mentioned above, just like virgin woman being young so is the nonvirgin woman.
but the quote says "in that hebrew culture young unmarried women were considered virgin" but what if the woman is married and fucked at 18 and now she was 20. now, was not she considered old or non-young since she was married and fucked?