Jump to topic:

The Jews used to think Yawheh had a wife

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 10:01:43 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Very few Christians know that the Jews worshiped both Yahweh and his wife Asherah up until almost the time of Jesus. Asherah was a goddess who vanished like thousands of other false made up gods for the reason that people stopped believing in them, realizing they were the creations of humans. The following was taken from:

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Between the 10th century BC and the beginning of their exile in 586 BC, polytheism was normal throughout Israel;[9] it was only after the exile that worship of Yahweh alone became established, and possibly only as late as the time of the Maccabees (2nd century BC) that monotheism became universal among Jews.[10][11] Some biblical scholars believe that Asherah at one time was worshiped as the consort of Yahweh, the national God of Israel.[10][12][13] There are references to the worship of numerous gods throughout Kings, Solomon builds temples to many gods and Josiah is reported as cutting down the statues of Asherah in the temple Solomon built for Yahweh. Josiah"s grandfather Manasseh had erected this statue. (2 Kings 21:7) Further evidence includes, for example, an 8th-century combination of iconography and inscriptions discovered at Kuntillet Ajrud in the northern Sinai desert[14] where a storage jar shows three anthropomorphic figures and an inscription that refers to "Yahweh " and his Asherah".[15][16] The inscriptions found invoke not only Yahweh but El and Baal, and two include the phrases "Yahweh of Samaria and his Asherah" and "Yahweh of Teman and his Asherah."[17]

There is general agreement that Yahweh is being invoked in connection with Samaria (capital of the kingdom of Israel) and Teman (in Edom); this suggests that Yahweh had a temple in Samaria, and raises a question over the relationship between Yahweh and Kaus, the national god of Edom.[18] The "Asherah" is most likely a cultic object, although the relationship of this object (a stylised tree perhaps) to Yahweh and to the goddess Asherah, consort of El, is unclear.[19] It has been suggested that the Israelites might consider Asherah as a consort of Baal due to the anti-Asherah ideology which was influenced by the Deuteronomistic History at the later period of Monarchy.[20] In another inscription called "Yahweh and his Asherah", there appears a cow feeding its calf.[21]:163If Asherah is to be associated with Hathor/Qudshu, it can then be assumed that the cow is what"s being referred to as Asherah.

William Dever"s book Did God Have a Wife? adduces further archaeological evidence"for instance, many female figurines unearthed in ancient Israel"as supporting the view that in Israelite folk religion of the monarchal period, Asherah functioned as a goddess and consort of Yahweh and was worshiped as the Queen of Heaven, for whose festival the Hebrews baked small cakes.

This creates a monumental problem for Christianity because if the Jews made up a false goddess, isn"t it likely that the god they worshiped alongside her is made up as well?
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 12:28:59 AM
to make cakes to the Queen of Heaven, and to pour out drink offerings to other gods, that they may provoke me to anger."R06;R06; in Jer 7:18 and Jer 44:17"19, 25.

Looks like the atheistic mind sees what it wants to reconcile unbelief. If it takes this much effort to convince oneself, there is a reason...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 5:04:38 AM
At 5/30/2016 12:28:59 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
to make cakes to the Queen of Heaven, and to pour out drink offerings to other gods, that they may provoke me to anger."R06;R06; in Jer 7:18 and Jer 44:17"19, 25.

Looks like the atheistic mind sees what it wants to reconcile unbelief. If it takes this much effort to convince oneself, there is a reason...
The trees of Asherah beside the alters of Yahweh.
You people are so ignorant when it comes to your bible.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 12:48:19 PM
At 5/30/2016 5:04:38 AM, bulproof wrote:

Give a source or...oh wait. You don't do sources or verses...so why even debate...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 12:51:23 PM

I do find it interesting that you have an OCD obsession with trying to know about it. It'd be so much easier to believe. Unbelief is hard work. You'll never convince yourself. I'll save you the trouble. Logic, reality, none of it support your claim. Your betting on a pipedream that offers you...nothing...

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 12:51:23 PM
At 5/30/2016 12:48:19 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Give a source or...oh wait. You don't do sources or verses...so why even debate...
You are so ignorant of what is written in your bible, it really gives me a laugh, keep it up.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 1:09:56 PM
At 5/30/2016 12:51:23 PM, bulproof wrote:
At 5/30/2016 12:48:19 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

You are so ignorant of what is written in your bible, it really gives me a laugh, keep it up.

Oh? Quote a chapter and verse. I'm not going to do the work for you. This is your obsession. You get to own it, defend it, and support it. Since you will not, apparently you have no good or relevant argument.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 1:12:19 PM
Deuternomy 16:21
"Do not set up any wooden Asherah pole beside the altar you build to the LORD your God."

Another one bites the dust...

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 1:15:29 PM
And the king commanded Hilkiah the high priest and the priests of the second order and the keepers of the threshold to bring out of the temple of the Lord all the vessels made for Baal, for Asherah, and for all the host of heaven. He burned them outside Jerusalem in the fields of the Kidron and carried their ashes to Bethel. And he deposed the priests whom the kings of Judah had ordained to make offerings in the high places at the cities of Judah and around Jerusalem; those also who burned incense to Baal, to the sun and the moon and the constellations and all the host of the heavens.

2 kings 23:1-37

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 1:17:50 PM
2 Kings 23:7 ESV / 5 helpful votes

And he broke down the houses of the male cult prostitutes who were in the house of the Lord, where the women wove hangings for the Asherah