Jump to topic:

Is it moral to take life for your own benefit

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 12:07:26 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
It seems the only way to get around this is to only eat the fruit of photosynthetic plants.
simplelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 12:40:14 AM
At 6/1/2016 12:07:26 AM, janesix wrote:
It seems the only way to get around this is to only eat the fruit of photosynthetic plants. : :
Don't worry. After you experience your body dying in your mind during the first part of the program, your next bodies won't need to eat to keep it nourished. We will all know our bodies are only illusions formed from the processing of information that is sent into our created minds via technology that our Creator used to speak his created simulation program into existence. This same technology is what feeds each mind of God's created beings from the stored information of the program.

If you listen to the voice of God, you will be blessed forever.

Deuteronomy 11
26: "Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse:
27: the blessing, if you obey the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you this day,
28: and the curse, if you do not obey the commandments of the Lord your God, but trun aside from the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods which you have not known.

Deuteronomy 28
15: "But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God or be careful to do all his commandments which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you.
16: Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the field.
17: Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough.
18: cursed shall be the fruit of your body, and the fruit of your ground, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock.
19: Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out.
20: "the Lord will send upon you curses, confusion, and frustration, in all that you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and perish quickly, on account of the evil of your doings, because you have forsaken me.
21: The Lord will make the pestilence cleave to you until he has consumed you off the land which you are entering to take possession of it.
22: The Lord will smite you with consumption, and with fever, inflammation, and fiery heat, and with drought, and with blasting, and with mildew; they shall pursue you until you perish.
23: And the heavens over your head shall be brass, and the earth under you shall be iron.
24: The Lord will make the rain of your land powder and dust; from heaven it shall come down upon you until you are destroyed.
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 3:10:53 PM
At 5/31/2016 11:55:47 PM, janesix wrote:
As in, eating other living creatures including both plants and animals?

I think this a good question for invoking moral introspection.

Personally, I think that causing harm to other beings that are capable of recognizing it is immoral if it's to one's own benefit. I don't believe plants qualify. I'm not a vegetarian, although I think that's the more moral position (upon cursory evaluation). I'm not a morally perfect being, though, and with all the time I spend on others, I don't think I be able to get by managing a strictly vegetarian diet.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 3:49:59 PM
At 6/1/2016 3:10:53 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Personally, I think that causing harm to other beings that are capable of recognizing it is immoral if it's to one's own benefit. I don't believe plants qualify. I'm not a vegetarian, although I think that's the more moral position (upon cursory evaluation). I'm not a morally perfect being, though, and with all the time I spend on others, I don't think I be able to get by managing a strictly vegetarian diet.

A vegetarian diet for everyone on the planet is logistically impossible, so advocating for it would essentially be advocating for the deaths of millions and millions (if not billions) of people and possibly the populations of animals we have greatly inflated for the sole purpose of meat. That being said, it is not necessarily 'immoral' to eat meat.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 3:53:05 PM
It seems the only way to get around this is to only eat the fruit of photosynthetic plants.

You could also eat non fertilized eggs, milk, cheese, etc.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 3:57:28 PM
At 6/1/2016 3:49:59 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

A vegetarian diet for everyone on the planet is logistically impossible, so advocating for it would essentially be advocating for the deaths of millions and millions (if not billions) of people and possibly the populations of animals we have greatly inflated for the sole purpose of meat. That being said, it is not necessarily 'immoral' to eat meat.

Thanks for that - I was only vaguely aware of this (hence my "upon cursory evaluation"). :)

I agree on a universal scale that the consequences would be bad, but it would still be the lesser of two evils, I feel. I saw a thread in the Science Forum relatively recently that brought up the idea of vat-grown meat, which would directly address the problem of suffering.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 4:44:54 PM
At 6/1/2016 3:57:28 PM, Chaosism wrote:

Thanks for that - I was only vaguely aware of this (hence my "upon cursory evaluation"). :)

I agree on a universal scale that the consequences would be bad, but it would still be the lesser of two evils, I feel. I saw a thread in the Science Forum relatively recently that brought up the idea of vat-grown meat, which would directly address the problem of suffering.

When we get the Star Trek "replicators", all these problems will be solved! ;-)

Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2016 5:12:02 PM
At 6/1/2016 4:44:54 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 6/1/2016 3:57:28 PM, Chaosism wrote:

When we get the Star Trek "replicators", all these problems will be solved! ;-)

With the progress of 3D printers, we're well on our way!

http://3dprintingindustry.com...
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 10:10:13 AM

For the sustenance of life it is not only moral but essential, especially in the case of plant life.

Paul put it quite succinctly when he said:

1 Corinthians 10:26 for "to Jehovah belong the earth and everything in it."

Here Paul is quoting from Psalm 24:1 To Jehovah belong the earth and everything in it,
The productive land and those dwelling on it.

Therefore it is moral to eat anything that Jehovah allows, or authorises.

Currently that includes animals, since the flood.

1 Timothy 4:3,4
3 They forbid marriage and command people to abstain from foods that God created to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who have faith and accurately know the truth. 4 For every creation of God is fine, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,

So as long as its own, Jehovah, allows its consumption it is indeed moral.

Or do you not believe that the creator and owner of everything has the right to dictate how it is used?
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 10:27:32 AM

As we would starve otherwise, I don't have a problem with eating either. Animals should be slaughtered as humanely as possible.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 10:35:37 AM

But if you are eating fruit you are still eating at least a part of a plant, and the part designed to spread that life.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 12:47:23 PM
At 6/2/2016 10:35:37 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

But if you are eating fruit you are still eating at least a part of a plant, and the part designed to spread that life.
That will get all of your descendants killed. Just ask Eve.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 1:14:26 PM
At 6/2/2016 12:47:23 PM, bulproof wrote:

Lol.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 1:18:55 PM
At 6/2/2016 1:14:26 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Lol.
Read your book, mad, that's what happens according to your god.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 1:48:50 PM
At 6/2/2016 1:18:55 PM, bulproof wrote:

Lol.

Read it, but as usual you misunderstand it.

It was the disobedience that was the problem, not the fruit itself whatever it was.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 1:51:52 PM
At 6/2/2016 1:48:50 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 6/2/2016 1:18:55 PM, bulproof wrote:

Lol.

Read it, but as usual you misunderstand it.

It was the disobedience that was the problem, not the fruit itself whatever it was.

As a stupid always says.
You can't be disobedient without being taught obedience. Your god is terminally stupid.