Jump to topic:

Where Atheists are lost on the issue

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 6:25:15 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Atheists don't seem to understand it is not a game of outdoing each other. This is a matter of the heart.

Matthew 21:31
"Which of the two did what his father wanted?" "The first," they answered. Jesus said to them, "Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you.

Titus 3:5
He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.

Ephesians 2:8
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.

The last invitation of the Bible-

http://youtu.be...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 6:45:49 PM
At 6/2/2016 6:25:15 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Atheists don't seem to understand it is not a game of outdoing each other. This is a matter of the heart.

"Which of the two did what his father wanted?" "The first," they answered. Jesus said to them, "Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you.

He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.

It seems to me you are lost. You appeal to your own unsubstantiated superstitions as a authoritative high ground. Your opinion is no authority, sir.

Also, you're preaching - not debating. I would think there must be a preach dot org or baldassertions dot com that would welcome this type of speech with open arms.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 7:12:43 PM
At 6/2/2016 6:45:49 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

It seems to me you are lost. You appeal to your own unsubstantiated superstitions as a authoritative high ground. Your opinion is no authority, sir.

Also, you're preaching - not debating. I would think there must be a preach dot org or baldassertions dot com that would welcome this type of speech with open arms.

Says the person in a forum so named "Religion" while strongly defending that he is of "no religion" and with OCD tendancy...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 7:34:09 PM
At 6/2/2016 7:12:43 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Says the person in a forum so named "Religion" while strongly defending that he is of "no religion" and with OCD tendancy...

Do you think only religious folks can debate religion? I suppose only politicians should be in the Politics forum?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 7:47:17 PM

I'm interesting in having my views challenged - what better place than a debate site? On the other hand, you're preaching and this is what you do when you would like for your audience to be quiet and your views to remain unchallenged. So, between the two of us, I believe I alone am utilizing the site in a way consistent with its intended purpose. So, my suggestion was appropriate although it may have been a little catty.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 8:10:03 PM
This is a matter of the heart.

Then Christianity shouldn't require childhood indoctrination, should it?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 11:37:33 PM
At 6/2/2016 8:10:03 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Or Atheism

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 11:39:46 PM
At 6/2/2016 7:47:17 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

I'm interesting in having my views challenged - what better place than a debate site? On the other hand, you're preaching and this is what you do when you would like for your audience to be quiet and your views to remain unchallenged. So, between the two of us, I believe I alone am utilizing the site in a way consistent with its intended purpose. So, my suggestion was appropriate although it may have been a little catty.

I like a challenge. Look at my page and take a peak at my debates.

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 11:40:03 PM
At 6/2/2016 11:37:33 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Or Atheism
Actually, Christianity, since it has a doctrines and traditions saying children must be raised in that faith, while there is no atheistic doctrine requiring that.

I for example, strongly support teaching comparative religion to children.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 11:45:29 PM
At 6/2/2016 11:40:03 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Or Atheism
Actually, Christianity, since it has a doctrines and traditions saying children must be raised in that faith, while there is no atheistic doctrine requiring that.

It's a blind concept. Shall I teach them about Islam, jihad, the shahada, and child brides or Atheism, no hope, no purpose, no meaning, just pitiless indifference, or Christianity, God loves you, you always have a friend, hope, and a purpose...

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 11:47:57 PM
At 6/2/2016 11:45:29 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Or Atheism

It's a blind concept. Shall I teach them about Islam, jihad, the shahada, and child brides or Atheism, no hope, no purpose, no meaning, just pitiless indifference, or Christianity, God loves you, you always have a friend, hope, and a purpose...

So what you're really saying is that it's a matter of the indoctrinated heart. Meaning, you don't want anyone to feel anything until they've been indoctrinated by your beliefs, and you don't want them questioning afterwards at all.

And you think that people who've rejected that approach are lost?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 11:52:53 PM
At 6/2/2016 11:47:57 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Or Atheism

So what you're really saying is that it's a matter of the indoctrinated heart. Meaning, you don't want anyone to feel anything until they've been indoctrinated by your beliefs, and you don't want them questioning afterwards at all.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Everyone is "indoctrinated. It's just what are you indoctrinated by? Better to be indoctrinated in something that gives you purpose, meaning, unconditional love, hope, etc than to be indoctrinated with no hope, no meaning, no purpose, no unconditional love. That's psychology, not me. Atheism fulfills zero of the psychological hierarchy of needs. People go to psychologists to find what their parents could have handed them as a child.

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 12:30:58 AM
At 6/2/2016 11:52:53 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Or Atheism

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Everyone is indoctrinated.
Everyone does it, so Christians should?

As I said earlier, I don't mind people learning about the different kinds of thought that other people think. I greatly mind though when people are taught only one kind of thought, and told it's true -- by people who haven't a clue.

Better to be indoctrinated in something that gives you purpose, meaning, unconditional love, hope, etc
It's good because your doctrine says it good?

Atheism fulfills zero of the psychological hierarchy of needs.
As you'd expect since it isn't a religion or even a philosophy. It's just a theological category.

However there are secular doctrines that offer everything religion can demonstrate: dignity, morality, community, comfort, and purpose, but don't tax you or lie to you about benefits they can't demonstrate.

People go to psychologists to find what their parents could have handed them as a child.
Psychologists offer three qualities I've never seen in Christianity: insight, accountability, and respect.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 1:28:54 AM
At 6/3/2016 12:30:58 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

Or Atheism

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

As I said earlier, I don't mind people learning about the different kinds of thought that other people think. I greatly mind though when people are taught only one kind of thought, and told it's true -- by people who haven't a clue.

Better to be indoctrinated in something that gives you purpose, meaning, unconditional love, hope, etc

As you'd expect since it isn't a religion or even a philosophy. It's just a theological category.

However there are secular doctrines that offer everything religion can demonstrate: dignity, morality, community, comfort, and purpose, but don't tax you or lie to you about benefits they can't demonstrate.

People go to psychologists to find what their parents could have handed them as a child.
Psychologists offer three qualities I've never seen in Christianity: insight, accountability, and respect.

All humans are indoctrinated, period. You heard sounds over and over until you learned a language. You were shown math over and over until you knew it. The Christian child was told God loves you until it became a part of them. The atheist was told life is cruel, no one is listening, and there is no purpose so it became who they were. As a man thinketh so is he. A decent Christian has kids who believe God loves them and is there for them. The child indoctrinated in Atheism has a psychological hurdle placed in front of them that takes years of therapy to get past if ever get past. You might as well indoctrinate them now or a psychologist will have to do it for you later.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 1:31:10 AM
Psychology needs God to fulfill the hierarchy of needs. It was designed this way on purpose.

RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 1:41:14 AM
At 6/3/2016 1:28:54 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

All humans are indoctrinated, period.

You have conflated doctrine with knowledge. If you look them up in a reputable dictionary you'll find:

Doctrine: a belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a Church, political party, or other group.
Knowledge: facts, information and skills

Doctrine isn't fact; belief isn't knowledge.

You heard sounds over and over until you learned a language. You were shown math over and over until you knew it.
Language and math are skills.

The Christian child was told God loves you until it became a part of them.
That is doctrine.

The atheist was told life is cruel, no one is listening, and there is no purpose so it became who they were.
I wasn't taught that. I'm not aware of any atheist parent who teaches that to children. Generally, children need to feel safe and loved, so that's what they're taught whenever parents can teach it. But you don't need God to teach that.

As a man thinketh so is he. A decent Christian has kids who believe God loves them and is there for them.
Apparently, they're also taught selfishness, intolerance and cruelty as a way of life. Please see citation below.

The child indoctrinated in Atheism has a psychological hurdle placed in front of them that takes years of therapy to get past if ever get past.
Citation please? And could we have one that smells not of Brontobutt, but looks more like a sociological or psychological paper?

Meanwhile, here's children raised without religion being more tolerant and altruistic than Christian kiddies: [https://news.uchicago.edu...]

Poor scarred little atheist saints that they are. :p
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:01:02 AM
At 6/3/2016 1:41:14 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

You have conflated doctrine with knowledge. If you look them up in a reputable dictionary you'll find:

Doctrine: a belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a Church, political party, or other group.

You heard sounds over and over until you learned a language. You were shown math over and over until you knew it.

That is doctrine.

The atheist was told life is cruel, no one is listening, and there is no purpose so it became who they were.
I wasn't taught that. I'm not aware of any atheist parent who teaches that to children. Generally, children need to feel safe and loved, so that's what they're taught whenever parents can teach it. But you don't need God to teach that.

As a man thinketh so is he. A decent Christian has kids who believe God loves them and is there for them.
Apparently, they're also taught selfishness, intolerance and cruelty as a way of life. Please see citation below.

The child indoctrinated in Atheism has a psychological hurdle placed in front of them that takes years of therapy to get past if ever get past.
Citation please? And could we have one that smells not of Brontobutt, but looks more like a sociological or psychological paper?

Meanwhile, here's children raised without religion being more tolerant and altruistic than Christian kiddies: [https://news.uchicago.edu...]

Tollerance doesn't mean someone is good. Shall we tolerate rapists and let them in our house? Notice, Liberals tollerated and welcomed Islam into Europe. Now they have a crisis, are shipping off migrants, women are dying their hair black, Sweden became the rape capital of Earth, Cologne had over 1,000 sexual assaults in one night per taharrush, Sharia for UK gained power, and ISIS could be anywhere at any time as they continue to blow things up. Way to go tollerance. Tollerance can be evil distributed towards those you are supposed to be defending. Way to go tollerance!

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:12:42 AM
At 6/2/2016 11:39:46 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Yea, I've seen some of your debates. You challenge your opponent's ability to deal with fallacies more than their views.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:22:13 AM
At 6/3/2016 2:12:42 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 6/2/2016 11:39:46 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Yea, I've seen some of your debates. You challenge your opponent's ability to deal with fallacies more than their views.

Then challenge me to a debate. Whatever you want. You pick.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:27:25 AM
At 6/3/2016 2:01:02 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

That is doctrine.

Tollerance doesn't mean someone is good. Shall we tolerate rapists and let them in our house? Notice, Liberals tollerated and welcomed Islam into Europe. Now they have a crisis, are shipping off migrants, women are dying their hair black, Sweden became the rape capital of Earth, Cologne had over 1,000 sexual assaults in one night per taharrush, Sharia for UK gained power, and ISIS could be anywhere at any time as they continue to blow things up. Way to go tollerance. Tollerance can be evil distributed towards those you are supposed to be defending. Way to go tollerance!

Poor frightened little man, don't be scared, your god is with you. hahahahaha
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:29:59 AM

That is doctrine.

So...we have 2 people, person A and person B.

Person A is intollerant of the KKK and fought against the Nazis in WWII.

Person B tolerates the KKK and tolerated Naziism during WWII. Who is better?

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:33:42 AM
At 6/3/2016 2:27:25 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 6/3/2016 2:01:02 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

That is doctrine.

Poor frightened little man, don't be scared, your god is with you. hahahahaha

Who's with you bull? Spaghetti?

illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:42:02 AM

Or Atheism

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Everyone is "indoctrinated. It's just what are you indoctrinated by? Better to be indoctrinated in something that gives you purpose, meaning, unconditional love, hope, etc than to be indoctrinated with no hope, no meaning, no purpose, no unconditional love. That's psychology, not me. Atheism fulfills zero of the psychological hierarchy of needs. People go to psychologists to find what their parents could have handed them as a child.

So it okey to preach bullsh*t as long as it gives hope ?

How about teaching the value of intellectual honesty, something you have shown time and time again to be lacking. Cause if you teach that and criitical thinking to children before religion gets to them.

Secondly your making christianity into something it isn't, sure the glossy brochure for some is God loves you, thats how they get you in, then it's all, hey we know what God wants, and if you do other wise your going to hell...................while taking money off you cause God wants you to tithe................to them.............and their organisation.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:45:05 AM
At 6/3/2016 2:42:02 AM, illegalcombat wrote:

Or Atheism

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

How about teaching the value of intellectual honesty, something you have shown time and time again to be lacking. Cause if you teach that and criitical thinking to children before religion gets to them.

Secondly your making christianity into something it isn't, sure the glossy brochure for some is God loves you, thats how they get you in, then it's all, hey we know what God wants, and if you do other wise your going to hell...................while taking money off you cause God wants you to tithe................to them.............and their organisation.

Really? I haven't heard a good sermon on hell at my church in years.

illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:46:16 AM
At 6/3/2016 2:45:05 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

Or Atheism

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

And as evangelicals will tell you, it's a topic Jesus constantly bought up.

So what now mother f*cker ?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:47:31 AM

Or Atheism

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I haven't heard anything on tithing in years either.

So who goes to hell in the Bible and what is hell? Enlighten me...

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:49:30 AM
At 6/3/2016 2:46:16 AM, illegalcombat wrote:
At 6/3/2016 2:o45:05 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

Or Atheism

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

And as evangelicals will tell you, it's a topic Jesus constantly bought up.

So what now mother f*cker ?

Yeah? What'd He say?

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:49:51 AM

Or Atheism

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

All humans are indoctrinated, period. You heard sounds over and over until you learned a language. You were shown math over and over until you knew it. The Christian child was told God loves you until it became a part of them.The atheist was told life is cruel, no one is listening, and there is no purpose so it became who they were. As a man thinketh so is he. A decent Christian has kids who believe God loves them and is there for them. The child indoctrinated in Atheism has a psychological hurdle placed in front of them that takes years of therapy to get past if ever get past. You might as well indoctrinate them now or a psychologist will have to do it for you later.

This strikes me as so absurd I can't help but wonder if even you really believe it. If so, I hope you're sitting down because I've got mind-blowing news for ya: I was raised Christian and became an atheist after 35 years in the faith. No one had to subvert my ability to reason to make me into a non-believer. Conversely, this is exactly what was done to make me into a believer originally.

Of course, if that was an intentional strawman and you aren't interested in facts, then carry on with your very interesting (and questionable) generalizations.

illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:51:38 AM
At 6/3/2016 2:47:31 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

Or Atheism

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I haven't heard anything on tithing in years either.

So who goes to hell in the Bible and what is hell? Enlighten me...

Your so f*cking dishonest. Either......

1) You don't know about various hell claims in the bible (which I doubt) which shows you this all christian is just a matter of the heart, gives people hope, etc etc so your lying scum.

2) You honestly don't know about hell claims in the bible, so when you talk about Christianity being this and not that, you speak from utter ignorace and are wrong.

SO which is it ?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 2:52:49 AM

Or Atheism

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

First off, you assume it's bs, can't prove it's bs, and then propose that teaching hope as a badthing because you have an OCD issue withfixating on the negative. Really? Hope is a bad thing? You're right..........