Jump to topic:

Flood myths

janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 9:32:25 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
There are flood myths from a variety of reliogions around the world. Some are obvious copying from one religion to another, for instance the Bible myth is copied from the Epic of Gilgamesh. But what about flood myths from the Americas? They cant be copies of myths from the middle east. Therefor the flood myth must be a metaphor for something. But what could that be?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 11:34:23 PM
At 6/7/2016 9:32:25 PM, janesix wrote:
There are flood myths from a variety of reliogions around the world. Some are obvious copying from one religion to another, for instance the Bible myth is copied from the Epic of Gilgamesh. But what about flood myths from the Americas? They cant be copies of myths from the middle east. Therefor the flood myth must be a metaphor for something. But what could that be?

The world has always experienced floods. We've just had some on the east coast of Australia. It's not surprising that many cultures have folklore about massive floods. When they extrapolate to a world-wide flood (their world as they knew it) that's when it becomes hyperbole.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 11:37:53 PM

The end of the world. Jesus said the end would be like the story of Noah. Normal life, violence and immorality and mocking of God took hold, sudden, unexpected destruction.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 2:38:23 AM

There were always floods. To someone that spent their whole life in a little valley, a flooded valley meant the whole world was flooded.

They had no comprehension of what "world-wide" meant. How could anyone try to argue that they had any comprehension of what it meant to make a global claim?
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 2:42:55 AM
At 6/7/2016 11:37:53 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

The end of the world. Jesus said the end would be like the story of Noah. Normal life, violence and immorality and mocking of God took hold, sudden, unexpected destruction.

Violence? People are WAY less likely to die of violence than 1000 years ago (ironically, when the church ruled). It has been over 50 years since it was acceptable in the south to hang black people from trees. I could go on and on. Morality overall in western civilization is better than it has ever been in world history.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 3:11:40 AM
At 6/8/2016 2:42:55 AM, matt8800 wrote:

Violence? People are WAY less likely to die of violence than 1000 years ago (ironically, when the church ruled). It has been over 50 years since it was acceptable in the south to hang black people from trees. I could go on and on. Morality overall in western civilization is better than it has ever been in world history.

You'll need a history lesson on Adolph Hitler, the Chinese government, Stalin, Hiroshima, and the Syrian Civil War. In just those events, more people were killed than even walked the face of the entire Earth 1,000 years ago.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 3:15:41 AM
At 6/8/2016 3:11:40 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

You'll need a history lesson on Adolph Hitler, the Chinese government, Stalin, Hiroshima, and the Syrian Civil War. In just those events, more people were killed than even walked the face of the entire Earth 1,000 years ago.

I specifically said Western civilization and I stand by that.

I can categorically say that a person living in todays western civilization is significantly less likely TODAY of getting murdered than 1000 years ago. If you want to debate it, I'm sure I can find the statistics.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 3:28:27 AM
At 6/8/2016 3:15:41 AM, matt8800 wrote:

I can categorically say that a person living in todays western civilization is significantly less likely TODAY of getting murdered than 1000 years ago. If you want to debate it, I'm sure I can find the statistics.

Oh? Go to Compton, California, Chicago, Illinois, Philadelphia, or any of the 55 no go zones in Sweden.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 3:31:08 AM

So the end of the world will actually be one small valley, just like in Noah's day?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 3:32:13 AM
At 6/8/2016 3:15:41 AM, matt88

Seeing there are more people in the U.S. today than the entire planet 1,000 years ago, I highly doubt it.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 3:34:12 AM
Atheists are going to need some "myths" to explain why not but a 4,500 years ago, the population of the entire planet was about the size of England...

matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 3:36:00 AM
At 6/8/2016 3:28:27 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/8/2016 3:15:41 AM, matt8800 wrote:

Oh? Go to Compton, California, Chicago, Illinois, Philadelphia, or any of the 55 no go zones in Sweden.

OK, reread my statement very carefully as to what exactly I was claiming and what I was not claiming:

I can categorically say that a person living in todays western civilization is significantly less likely TODAY of getting murdered than 1000 years ago.

If you live in America, the average chance of getting murdered is 1 in 437,000. Do you believe it was more favorable 1000 years ago?
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 3:39:01 AM
At 6/8/2016 3:32:13 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

Seeing there are more people in the U.S. today than the entire planet 1,000 years ago, I highly doubt it.

LOL...that's actually very funny and you are showing your lack of intelligence.

1 in 437,000 chances meant the same thing today as it did 1000 years ago. I suggest you ponder this before you respond and make yourself look more foolish.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 3:41:10 AM
At 6/8/2016 3:39:01 AM, matt8800 wrote:

1 in 437,000 chances meant the same thing today as it did 1000 years ago. I suggest you ponder this before you respond and make yourself look more foolish.

So give us the statistics from 1,000 years ago.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 3:42:31 AM

You said the Western World. The U.S. is only a piece of the Western World.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 3:48:46 AM
At 6/8/2016 3:31:08 AM, bulproof wrote:

So the end of the world will actually be one small valley, just like in Noah's day?

I see you've never read the Bible.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 4:19:42 AM

Then explain to us why we should accept your ancient information. ;-)

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 5:07:54 AM

A couple of things wrong here.
First of all there has never been a worldwide flood thus making the threat meaningless and according to the great book of fables the mythical Noah went preaching the message to the whole world, how could it be unexpected?
And how did he get to Japan and what language did he use?
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 6:58:44 AM

So the bit about a rainbow being a promise of no flood repetition was just another load of bollox?
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 7:28:34 AM

Bet you 100$ the world doesn't end.
Meh!
Peternosaint
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 7:32:27 AM

ME: What is more violent, hanging a few Blacks or dropping a Abomb or two on Japan? So you reckon we are becoming more gentle? Since the rising of the United Nations there has been more wars and skirmishes, killing more people than ever before in the history of the world. The League of Nations and the UN were designed to bring peace to the world...Wonder what happened?

But we are in for one heck of a war soon. First there will be the fulfilling of prophecies in Revelation, which include the Great Tribulation, and then Armageddon to clean up the filth and death dealing humans who have too good a run already.

Yes, many are doomed, and any scoffing the idea wont make it disappear.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 7:34:55 AM
At 6/8/2016 7:32:27 AM, Peternosaint wrote:

ME: What is more violent, hanging a few Blacks or dropping a Abomb or two on Japan? So you reckon we are becoming more gentle? Since the rising of the United Nations there has been more wars and skirmishes, killing more people than ever before in the history of the world. The League of Nations and the UN were designed to bring peace to the world...Wonder what happened?

But we are in for one heck of a war soon. First there will be the fulfilling of prophecies in Revelation, which include the Great Tribulation, and then Armageddon to clean up the filth and death dealing humans who have too good a run already.

THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH.
Again.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 7:57:55 AM

Let me know when the stars start falling from the sky.
bwuahahahahaha
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 2:43:37 PM

That's right; myth. The bible is a convoluted mishmash of myths, contradictions and glaring inaccuracies. It is no wonder that those in (church) authority find it a godsend (pun intended) and the ideal tool for interpreting passages to suit their own ends and thrust it down the throats of blinkered, addicted parishioners just hungry for more and more "words of wisdom" to make them feel warm and fuzzy about their existence.
Once you get caught in the trap of trying to read into ill-conceived texts you are going to reach ill-conceived conclusions. Welcome to religion!
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 5:58:40 PM
At 6/8/2016 4:19:42 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

Then explain to us why we should accept your ancient information.

In Europe, one was 30 times more likely to be murdered during the middle ages than today.

Source - http://reason.com...

Always happy to educate ;)
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 5:59:52 PM
At 6/8/2016 5:58:40 PM, matt8800 wrote:

In Europe, one was 30 times more likely to be murdered during the middle ages than today.

Why would I believe ancient documentation

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 6:02:02 PM

And if it is not based off of ancient documents, why would we believe a non witness 1,000 years later?

desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 6:22:49 PM
At 6/8/2016 6:02:02 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

And if it is not based off of ancient documents, why would we believe a non witness 1,000 years later?

What documentation is the flood myth based on? When did it occur?
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 2:25:08 AM

You can speculate about the end of the world all you want but despite your "end of times" claims, it doesn't change the fact that you would be 30 times more likely to be murdered in the middle ages than now. I see on your profile that you are 77. The fact that we live in a less violent society is making it more possible to live to 77. You are one of those lucky ones to live in our current times and your age is evidence.