Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Proof of God

dee-em
Posts: 6,444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 10:54:50 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/7/2016 9:47:05 PM, janesix wrote:
Atheists, what would be proof of God to you?

The resurrection of Albert Einstein with all his memories intact.
janesix
Posts: 3,437
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 10:57:02 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/7/2016 10:54:50 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 6/7/2016 9:47:05 PM, janesix wrote:
Atheists, what would be proof of God to you?

The resurrection of Albert Einstein with all his memories intact.
That probably wont happen. His brain was cut up into small pieces and sent all over the country.
dee-em
Posts: 6,444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 11:17:53 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/7/2016 10:57:02 PM, janesix wrote:
At 6/7/2016 10:54:50 PM, dee-em wrote:
At 6/7/2016 9:47:05 PM, janesix wrote:
Atheists, what would be proof of God to you?

The resurrection of Albert Einstein with all his memories intact.
That probably wont happen. His brain was cut up into small pieces and sent all over the country.

So God doesn't exist?
EtrnlVw
Posts: 2,307
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 11:33:30 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/7/2016 9:47:05 PM, janesix wrote:
Atheists, what would be proof of God to you?

They want physical evidence that some secular scientist can repeat for them that verifies that a God exists, but then what?

What they will not consider is that maybe God is not a physical Entity, that spirituality is an alternative to science in relation to God and the spiritual dimensions, rather than lab experiments that produce repeatable results you have individual cultivation and participation....that produces repeatable results.

Sorry I know this was for atheists, but that is basically what they ask for all the time, they seem intolerant to any non-materialistic perspectives and advances.
DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2016 11:46:48 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/7/2016 11:33:30 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 6/7/2016 9:47:05 PM, janesix wrote:
Atheists, what would be proof of God to you?

They want physical evidence that some secular scientist can repeat for them that verifies that a God exists, but then what?

What they will not consider is that maybe God is not a physical Entity, that spirituality is an alternative to science in relation to God and the spiritual dimensions, rather than lab experiments that produce repeatable results you have individual cultivation and participation....that produces repeatable results.

Spiritual is a meaningless word, it defines nothing, which is what you offer in your post. Cultivation and participation? Of what? There's nothing to cultivate or participate.

If God is not a physical entity, then you and any else would never know anything about God, you wouldn't even have an idea or notion.

Sorry I know this was for atheists, but that is basically what they ask for all the time, they seem intolerant to any non-materialistic perspectives and advances.

Non-material = non-existent.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Cryo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 2:53:11 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
I'd be highly sceptical of any proof given to me, whatever form that proof took. For instance, if I witnessed a miracle, I'd probably doubt my own senses. I'd have to wonder, "Did what I think I saw actually happen? Am I hallucinating? Was it a trick?"

Even if I accept that it actually happened, what reason do I have to believe that god was the cause? What if it was aliens using some technology so far advanced that it looked like magic to me?

I've always like Matt Dillahunty's response to this. To paraphrase, I'm not sure what would convince me that god exists, but if anyone knows, god would. And if anyone could do what it would take to convince me, god could. So either god doesn't exist, or he doesn't want me to know he exists.
janesix
Posts: 3,437
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 5:25:41 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/8/2016 2:53:11 AM, Cryo wrote:
I'd be highly sceptical of any proof given to me, whatever form that proof took. For instance, if I witnessed a miracle, I'd probably doubt my own senses. I'd have to wonder, "Did what I think I saw actually happen? Am I hallucinating? Was it a trick?"

Even if I accept that it actually happened, what reason do I have to believe that god was the cause? What if it was aliens using some technology so far advanced that it looked like magic to me?

I've always like Matt Dillahunty's response to this. To paraphrase, I'm not sure what would convince me that god exists, but if anyone knows, god would. And if anyone could do what it would take to convince me, god could. So either god doesn't exist, or he doesn't want me to know he exists.
That is certainly a possibility.
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 5:28:04 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
"Only an evil, adulterous generation would demand a miraculous sign"
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
bulproof
Posts: 25,171
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 5:29:49 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/7/2016 11:33:30 PM, EtrnlVw wrote:
At 6/7/2016 9:47:05 PM, janesix wrote:
Atheists, what would be proof of God to you?

They want physical evidence that some secular scientist can repeat for them that verifies that a God exists, but then what?

What they will not consider is that maybe God is not a physical Entity, that spirituality is an alternative to science in relation to God and the spiritual dimensions, rather than lab experiments that produce repeatable results you have individual cultivation and participation....that produces repeatable results.

Sorry I know this was for atheists, but that is basically what they ask for all the time, they seem intolerant to any non-materialistic perspectives and advances.
And how do you account for invisible martians?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Willows
Posts: 2,027
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 11:11:50 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
I find it amazing that theists are still stuck in some imaginary dreamland, so perhaps the following may illustrate what we atheists are trying to get across to those with very fixed minds:......

Just suppose you have been charged with murder and the court case goes something like this:

Judge: I note from the charge sheet that there is no name for the victim, please explain?

Prosecutor: We don't know the name, nor have we seen the victim but I know the defendant committed murder because I can feel it in my heart, besides which, this case transcends mere physical evidence.

Judge: Well, do you have any evidence against the defendant?

Prosecutor: We sure do, it says so in this book here.

Judge: Who wrote the book?

Prosecutor: I don't know exactly because it was written a few thousand years ago...I think it was written by a sect of hermits who lived in a cave and predicted that a lot of people will be murdered. But apparently they got the information in the book from a higher authority who knows everything.

Judge: Well how does the book incriminate the defendant?

Prosecutor: It mentioned that someone died.

Judge: So what is the case for the defendant?

Defence: Your honour, we have a rock solid alibi. The defendant flew out of the country one week before the alleged date of the crime and returned two weeks later. I can produce the stamped passport and provide witnesses who saw the defendant overseas at the time of the crime.

Judge: Well, based on the prosecution evidence the book is right, it says someone died and the defendant is charged with murder therefore the defendant is guilty as charged. As for the defence's case, do you really think I am dumb? It is impossible for people to fly, therefore the defendant was at the scene of the crime, therefore the defendant committed the murder.

Defence: But your honour............

Judge: Shut up, what I say is right because I know it, in fact I knew the defendant was guilty anyway. This whole court case was a waste of time because nothing anybody says to the contrary will change my mind.

We would never allow such a judge to sit on the bench (let alone allow such a lunatic prosecutor) yet time and again I see religious die-hards justify their belief in such non-sensical ways. Religion was invented (yes, invented) by the ruling class in times when superstition was rife and the masses had no access to any form of education. Just as ignorance of the law is no excuse for committing a crime, ignorance of properly researched facts is no excuse for asserting a doctrine that has no substance of proof whatsoever. Nor is it acceptable to arrogantly assert that there is some mystical undetectable medium that transcends the physical world and privy to only a select few...there is no such thing. It is time for theists to swallow a bit of pride and start living in the real world. It won't hurt and we will all be better off for it.
roun12
Posts: 177
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 11:15:41 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/8/2016 11:11:50 AM, Willows wrote:
I find it amazing that theists are still stuck in some imaginary dreamland, so perhaps the following may illustrate what we atheists are trying to get across to those with very fixed minds:......

Just suppose you have been charged with murder and the court case goes something like this:

Judge: I note from the charge sheet that there is no name for the victim, please explain?

Prosecutor: We don't know the name, nor have we seen the victim but I know the defendant committed murder because I can feel it in my heart, besides which, this case transcends mere physical evidence.

Judge: Well, do you have any evidence against the defendant?

Prosecutor: We sure do, it says so in this book here.

Judge: Who wrote the book?

Prosecutor: I don't know exactly because it was written a few thousand years ago...I think it was written by a sect of hermits who lived in a cave and predicted that a lot of people will be murdered. But apparently they got the information in the book from a higher authority who knows everything.

Judge: Well how does the book incriminate the defendant?

Prosecutor: It mentioned that someone died.

Judge: So what is the case for the defendant?

Defence: Your honour, we have a rock solid alibi. The defendant flew out of the country one week before the alleged date of the crime and returned two weeks later. I can produce the stamped passport and provide witnesses who saw the defendant overseas at the time of the crime.

Judge: Well, based on the prosecution evidence the book is right, it says someone died and the defendant is charged with murder therefore the defendant is guilty as charged. As for the defence's case, do you really think I am dumb? It is impossible for people to fly, therefore the defendant was at the scene of the crime, therefore the defendant committed the murder.

Defence: But your honour............

Judge: Shut up, what I say is right because I know it, in fact I knew the defendant was guilty anyway. This whole court case was a waste of time because nothing anybody says to the contrary will change my mind.

We would never allow such a judge to sit on the bench (let alone allow such a lunatic prosecutor) yet time and again I see religious die-hards justify their belief in such non-sensical ways. Religion was invented (yes, invented) by the ruling class in times when superstition was rife and the masses had no access to any form of education. Just as ignorance of the law is no excuse for committing a crime, ignorance of properly researched facts is no excuse for asserting a doctrine that has no substance of proof whatsoever. Nor is it acceptable to arrogantly assert that there is some mystical undetectable medium that transcends the physical world and privy to only a select few...there is no such thing. It is time for theists to swallow a bit of pride and start living in the real world. It won't hurt and we will all be better off for it.

That was golden!
+100
"No, I disagree. 'R' is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it MURDER, not Muckduck." - Dwight

"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
Willows
Posts: 2,027
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 12:46:53 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
They say not to discuss religion at the dinner table. Well, not long ago I was invited to a dinner party and one guy started rambling on about religion, apparently to an imaginary friend. He had his eyes closed and we hadn't even started eating! The nerve of some people! I was tempted to say something but he appeared to be a bit delusional.