Total Posts:135|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Should the Bible be taken literally?

matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 4:25:38 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
If you say it should.....well, that"s ridiculous lol. At minimum, Id love to hear how snakes can talk. While you are at it, I would also like to hear why an all-powerful god took 6 days to make the universe and then had to rest. Why not one second with no rest? Ah, so many questions....

If you say the Bible shouldn"t be taken literally, then who has the authority to say to what degree it should be taken literally?

There is no established objective method to determine what should be taken literally and what should not. If it is possible that only 1% should be taken literally but you cannot know objectively what that 1% is, it is of absolutely no use.

Apologists will deny that it could ever be as low as 1%. Who says and by what standards?

The only thing you have left is just the voices in your head and hearsay from other people that also have voices in their heads. Whose voices are legitimate? Therein you again have the problem of who says and by what standards, and so on.

This is the reason why the irreligious correctly demand empirical evidence outside of that mess.
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 4:46:15 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
The bible should be read without prejudice.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 5:45:32 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 4:46:15 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
The bible should be read without prejudice.

That way its always good for a few laughs.
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 5:58:54 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
I suppose it is impossible to read the bible without prejudice...

How about an impartial and truth seeking mind?

The funny thing is, the bible is hardest to read if you start from the very beginning. Sheesh, Genesis is a hard one to swallow, isn't it?

You really have to want to study the bible to really do it. Read a book from start to finish. Don't be lazy about it.

It all eventually ties together though, cognitive dissonance free.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 6:03:59 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 5:58:54 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
I suppose it is impossible to read the bible without prejudice...

How about an impartial and truth seeking mind?


The funny thing is, the bible is hardest to read if you start from the very beginning. Sheesh, Genesis is a hard one to swallow, isn't it?

You really have to want to study the bible to really do it. Read a book from start to finish. Don't be lazy about it.

It all eventually ties together though, cognitive dissonance free.

Put a date on "The Flood" please.
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 6:07:05 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 6:03:59 AM, desmac wrote:
At 6/9/2016 5:58:54 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
I suppose it is impossible to read the bible without prejudice...

How about an impartial and truth seeking mind?


The funny thing is, the bible is hardest to read if you start from the very beginning. Sheesh, Genesis is a hard one to swallow, isn't it?

You really have to want to study the bible to really do it. Read a book from start to finish. Don't be lazy about it.

It all eventually ties together though, cognitive dissonance free.

Put a date on "The Flood" please.

Why is this important to you?
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 6:11:40 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 6:07:05 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 6/9/2016 6:03:59 AM, desmac wrote:
At 6/9/2016 5:58:54 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
I suppose it is impossible to read the bible without prejudice...

How about an impartial and truth seeking mind?


The funny thing is, the bible is hardest to read if you start from the very beginning. Sheesh, Genesis is a hard one to swallow, isn't it?

You really have to want to study the bible to really do it. Read a book from start to finish. Don't be lazy about it.

It all eventually ties together though, cognitive dissonance free.

Put a date on "The Flood" please.

Why is this important to you?

Usual dodge.
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 6:17:32 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Oh no, not that game again.

"You didn't answer the way I wanted, so you're dodging!"

No, the thought never seems to occur to anyone that I'm trying to show them why they are asking amiss.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 6:18:50 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 6:17:32 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Oh no, not that game again.

"You didn't answer the way I wanted, so you're dodging!"


No, the thought never seems to occur to anyone that I'm trying to show them why they are asking amiss.

You didn't answer at all. As usual.
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 6:25:01 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 6:18:50 AM, desmac wrote:
At 6/9/2016 6:17:32 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Oh no, not that game again.

"You didn't answer the way I wanted, so you're dodging!"


No, the thought never seems to occur to anyone that I'm trying to show them why they are asking amiss.

You didn't answer at all. As usual.

Why is this the question you are asking? Why is this important to you?

I already know the answer, but you have to say it. You can turn this into a vain power struggle, or you can believe me when I say that my intention is to edify, not tear apart.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 6:56:27 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 6:25:01 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 6/9/2016 6:18:50 AM, desmac wrote:
At 6/9/2016 6:17:32 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Oh no, not that game again.

"You didn't answer the way I wanted, so you're dodging!"


No, the thought never seems to occur to anyone that I'm trying to show them why they are asking amiss.

You didn't answer at all. As usual.

Why is this the question you are asking? Why is this important to you?

I already know the answer, but you have to say it. You can turn this into a vain power struggle, or you can believe me when I say that my intention is to edify, not tear apart.

So why can't you answer?
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:07:32 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 6:56:27 AM, desmac wrote:
At 6/9/2016 6:25:01 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 6/9/2016 6:18:50 AM, desmac wrote:
At 6/9/2016 6:17:32 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Oh no, not that game again.

"You didn't answer the way I wanted, so you're dodging!"


No, the thought never seems to occur to anyone that I'm trying to show them why they are asking amiss.

You didn't answer at all. As usual.

Why is this the question you are asking? Why is this important to you?

I already know the answer, but you have to say it. You can turn this into a vain power struggle, or you can believe me when I say that my intention is to edify, not tear apart.

So why can't you answer?

Because then you wouldn't learn anything.

I can say anything. It's arbitrary. You are overly concerned with creation because you don't understand that the scriptures are telling you to look at God, who is Lord of All Creation.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:08:27 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 7:07:32 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 6/9/2016 6:56:27 AM, desmac wrote:
At 6/9/2016 6:25:01 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 6/9/2016 6:18:50 AM, desmac wrote:
At 6/9/2016 6:17:32 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Oh no, not that game again.

"You didn't answer the way I wanted, so you're dodging!"


No, the thought never seems to occur to anyone that I'm trying to show them why they are asking amiss.

You didn't answer at all. As usual.

Why is this the question you are asking? Why is this important to you?

I already know the answer, but you have to say it. You can turn this into a vain power struggle, or you can believe me when I say that my intention is to edify, not tear apart.

So why can't you answer?

Because then you wouldn't learn anything.

I can say anything. It's arbitrary. You are overly concerned with creation because you don't understand that the scriptures are telling you to look at God, who is Lord of All Creation.

Usual dodge. Again.
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:11:32 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Well, since you have said "The Ultimate Reality does not exist", I think it's safe to say that you are being deceptive.

It's all just so arbitrary, ain't it?
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:15:27 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 7:11:32 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Well, since you have said "The Ultimate Reality does not exist", I think it's safe to say that you are being deceptive.

It's all just so arbitrary, ain't it?

Prove that it does exist. Whether it exists or not should have no bearing on your ability to answer a straightforward question.
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:16:46 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 7:15:27 AM, desmac wrote:
At 6/9/2016 7:11:32 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Well, since you have said "The Ultimate Reality does not exist", I think it's safe to say that you are being deceptive.

It's all just so arbitrary, ain't it?

Prove that it does exist. Whether it exists or not should have no bearing on your ability to answer a straightforward question.

You are asking me to prove that it is true that there is such a thing as truth.

This is an absurd demand.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:18:04 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
No, this is very fundamental. This is very important.

In fact, this question alone reveals everything about this discussion quite solidly.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:19:39 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 7:18:04 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
No, this is very fundamental. This is very important.

In fact, this question alone reveals everything about this discussion quite solidly.

Yet still you can't/won't answer it.
tarantula
Posts: 849
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:39:51 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 4:25:38 AM, matt8800 wrote:
If you say it should.....well, that"s ridiculous lol. At minimum, Id love to hear how snakes can talk. While you are at it, I would also like to hear why an all-powerful god took 6 days to make the universe and then had to rest. Why not one second with no rest? Ah, so many questions....

If you say the Bible shouldn"t be taken literally, then who has the authority to say to what degree it should be taken literally?

There is no established objective method to determine what should be taken literally and what should not. If it is possible that only 1% should be taken literally but you cannot know objectively what that 1% is, it is of absolutely no use.

Apologists will deny that it could ever be as low as 1%. Who says and by what standards?

The only thing you have left is just the voices in your head and hearsay from other people that also have voices in their heads. Whose voices are legitimate? Therein you again have the problem of who says and by what standards, and so on.

This is the reason why the irreligious correctly demand empirical evidence outside of that mess.

We don't believe fairy tales are literally true,: much of the Bible comes into that category, imo.
tarantula
Posts: 849
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:41:10 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 4:46:15 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
The bible should be read without prejudice.

The Bible should be read using logic not gullibility.
bulproof
Posts: 25,184
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:42:18 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 7:16:46 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
You are asking me to prove that it is true that there is such a thing as truth.
Nobody has asked you that even though you've lied about it in more than one thread.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 9:50:43 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 4:25:38 AM, matt8800 wrote:
If you say it should.....well, that"s ridiculous lol. At minimum, Id love to hear how snakes can talk. While you are at it, I would also like to hear why an all-powerful god took 6 days to make the universe and then had to rest. Why not one second with no rest? Ah, so many questions....

If you say the Bible shouldn"t be taken literally, then who has the authority to say to what degree it should be taken literally?

There is no established objective method to determine what should be taken literally and what should not. If it is possible that only 1% should be taken literally but you cannot know objectively what that 1% is, it is of absolutely no use.

Apologists will deny that it could ever be as low as 1%. Who says and by what standards?

The only thing you have left is just the voices in your head and hearsay from other people that also have voices in their heads. Whose voices are legitimate? Therein you again have the problem of who says and by what standards, and so on.

This is the reason why the irreligious correctly demand empirical evidence outside of that mess.

That depends what you mean by "the Bible".

Why do I say that?

Because the Bible is far more than words on a page.

If, like most people, all you are interested in is the words on the page, then it is just a book, nothing either more or less.

However, what is behind those words is much more, and whilst the words themselves cannot be taken literally, translated,mistranslated and twisted as they have been in the past, the thoughts behind those words, and certainly the original words, are vital to the future of humanity.

They don't change the future of humanity n any way, but they do allow us to choose if we wish to play a part in that future which was decided on many millennia ago, but has been forced to take a detour because someone, Satan, dug a dirty great hole n the road.

The only way to know what that future will be, and to decide whether or not we want a part in it, and what we need to do to get a part in it if we do, is to study the Bible, get into the mind of it's inspirer and learn what his thoughts truly are.

That is why Jesus said, as recorded at john 17:3 "This means everlasting life, your taking in knowledge of the only True God (Jehovah) and of the one he sent forth, Jesus Christ".

Why both?

Because as Paul later points out Christ is the very psychological image of his father. He thinks how his father thinks, wants what his father wants, therefore intimate knowledge of his thinking is key to learning how Jehovah himself thinks.

All of that is still in there, in the Bible, despite what Satan has got men to do to it. It simply takes work, and Jehovah's help through his son and their use of holy spirit, to get to it.

Will they give that help?

Of course they will to any who prove acceptable to them.

Why?

Because they want as many as possible to prove Satan's challenge, as detailed in the first 2 chapters of Job, to be wrong in their individual cases.

So no, you cannot take the words in the Bible literally.

However you can and should take the thoughts behind them very seriously indeed, even if it is hard work finding out what they are.

It will be worth it in the (eternal) long run.

We can do nothing else for the God to whom we owe life and breath, surely we should at the least do that?

Oh, and there is a mass of empirical evidence if only people accept it for what it truly is rather than try to wriggle round it and deny it.

Truth is truth it is simply up to us to accept it for what it is..
MadCornishBiker
Posts: 23,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 9:51:54 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 4:25:38 AM, matt8800 wrote:
If you say it should.....well, that"s ridiculous lol. At minimum, Id love to hear how snakes can talk. While you are at it, I would also like to hear why an all-powerful god took 6 days to make the universe and then had to rest. Why not one second with no rest? Ah, so many questions....

If you say the Bible shouldn"t be taken literally, then who has the authority to say to what degree it should be taken literally?

There is no established objective method to determine what should be taken literally and what should not. If it is possible that only 1% should be taken literally but you cannot know objectively what that 1% is, it is of absolutely no use.

Apologists will deny that it could ever be as low as 1%. Who says and by what standards?

The only thing you have left is just the voices in your head and hearsay from other people that also have voices in their heads. Whose voices are legitimate? Therein you again have the problem of who says and by what standards, and so on.

This is the reason why the irreligious correctly demand empirical evidence outside of that mess.

Further thought:

After all, if you make the effort to learn and decide you can;t accept it, at least you have judged in knowledge rather than in ignorance as the vast majority do.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 10:33:13 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 4:25:38 AM, matt8800 wrote:
that's ridiculous.
Steven McSwain, Ambassador to the Council on the Parliament for the World's Religions, agrees. In a March 2014 issue of HuffPo, he writes that even fundamentalist Christians don't take the Bible literally:

Those who insist the Bible is "literally true" have all but destroyed the very Bible they want everyone to take seriously. [...] First, by insisting the Bible is literally true, they have established a level of expectation for its authority that people simply cannot accept. [...] Second, the mere suggestion that the Bible is literally true is heretical " even a heresy. It cannot all be literally true, nor equal in its authority. And, even Fundamentalist Christians, who claim to hold the loftiest view of the inspiration of all scripture, do not take the Bible literally or with the same degree of authority throughout.

1. The Book of Deuteronomy says that children who are disobedient to their parents should be stoned to death (Deuteronomy 21:18-21).

Do they take this literally? Or, as equally authoritative? [...]

2. The Book of Leviticus says that those who worship false Gods should be stoned to death, too (Leviticus 20:off).

Do they take this literally? Does anyone? [...]

3. What do you do with the Apostle Paul who instructed the Corinthian Church to discipline a misbehaving brother in Christ who was apparently living in some kind of incestuous relationship?

Paul instructed the Church to gather at their weekly prayer service and "hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of his flesh" (1 Corinthians 5:1-5). [...]

Even Fundamentalist Christians do not take such scripture passages literally. If they, therefore, pick and choose those passages they do take literally, which of course they do, over those passages they do not, why do they continue the charade of insisting "all scripture is given by God?" [...]

After all, Jesus did not take scripture literally either. Or, as equally authoritative. Which explains why he frequently said, "You have heard it said...but I say to you..." (see Matthew 5:38 as but one example). He would quote a teaching from the Hebrew scriptures and/or oral tradition and then he would bring a new level of consciousness to the interpretation of that scripture.


[http://www.huffingtonpost.com...]
dee-em
Posts: 6,444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 1:39:25 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 5:58:54 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
I suppose it is impossible to read the bible without prejudice...

How about an impartial and truth seeking mind?


The funny thing is, the bible is hardest to read if you start from the very beginning. Sheesh, Genesis is a hard one to swallow, isn't it?

You really have to want to study the bible to really do it. Read a book from start to finish. Don't be lazy about it.

I heartily recommend reading the Bible from start to finish too. That is how atheists are created.

It all eventually ties together though, cognitive dissonance free.

There's cognitive dissonance right there! Lol.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 2:05:08 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 4:46:15 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
The bible should be read without prejudice.

I was a Christian for most of my life. Ive read the bible, in its entirety, at least 7 or 8 times. I know the Bible far better than the average Christian.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 2:07:49 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 6:07:05 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 6/9/2016 6:03:59 AM, desmac wrote:
At 6/9/2016 5:58:54 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
I suppose it is impossible to read the bible without prejudice...

How about an impartial and truth seeking mind?


The funny thing is, the bible is hardest to read if you start from the very beginning. Sheesh, Genesis is a hard one to swallow, isn't it?

You really have to want to study the bible to really do it. Read a book from start to finish. Don't be lazy about it.

It all eventually ties together though, cognitive dissonance free.

Put a date on "The Flood" please.

Why is this important to you?

If one wants to know what truth is, the details are important. Apprehension about discussing the details indicates lack of knowledge about the details and/or lack of confidence in defending the details.

Details reveal falsehoods.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 2:09:32 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 6:17:32 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Oh no, not that game again.

"You didn't answer the way I wanted, so you're dodging!"


No, the thought never seems to occur to anyone that I'm trying to show them why they are asking amiss.

Ask me a question. Any question. I don't dodge because I have carefully analyzed what I believe and I know nobody can pick it apart.
dhardage
Posts: 4,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 2:24:23 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 4:46:15 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
The bible should be read without prejudice.

Absolutely. That's how atheists are made.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 2:31:07 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/9/2016 9:50:43 AM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 6/9/2016 4:25:38 AM, matt8800 wrote:
If you say it should.....well, that"s ridiculous lol. At minimum, Id love to hear how snakes can talk. While you are at it, I would also like to hear why an all-powerful god took 6 days to make the universe and then had to rest. Why not one second with no rest? Ah, so many questions....

If you say the Bible shouldn"t be taken literally, then who has the authority to say to what degree it should be taken literally?

There is no established objective method to determine what should be taken literally and what should not. If it is possible that only 1% should be taken literally but you cannot know objectively what that 1% is, it is of absolutely no use.

Apologists will deny that it could ever be as low as 1%. Who says and by what standards?

The only thing you have left is just the voices in your head and hearsay from other people that also have voices in their heads. Whose voices are legitimate? Therein you again have the problem of who says and by what standards, and so on.

This is the reason why the irreligious correctly demand empirical evidence outside of that mess.

That depends what you mean by "the Bible".

Why do I say that?

Because the Bible is far more than words on a page.

If, like most people, all you are interested in is the words on the page, then it is just a book, nothing either more or less.

However, what is behind those words is much more, and whilst the words themselves cannot be taken literally, translated,mistranslated and twisted as they have been in the past, the thoughts behind those words, and certainly the original words, are vital to the future of humanity.

They don't change the future of humanity n any way, but they do allow us to choose if we wish to play a part in that future which was decided on many millennia ago, but has been forced to take a detour because someone, Satan, dug a dirty great hole n the road.

The only way to know what that future will be, and to decide whether or not we want a part in it, and what we need to do to get a part in it if we do, is to study the Bible, get into the mind of it's inspirer and learn what his thoughts truly are.

That is why Jesus said, as recorded at john 17:3 "This means everlasting life, your taking in knowledge of the only True God (Jehovah) and of the one he sent forth, Jesus Christ".

Why both?

Because as Paul later points out Christ is the very psychological image of his father. He thinks how his father thinks, wants what his father wants, therefore intimate knowledge of his thinking is key to learning how Jehovah himself thinks.

All of that is still in there, in the Bible, despite what Satan has got men to do to it. It simply takes work, and Jehovah's help through his son and their use of holy spirit, to get to it.

Will they give that help?

Of course they will to any who prove acceptable to them.

Why?

Because they want as many as possible to prove Satan's challenge, as detailed in the first 2 chapters of Job, to be wrong in their individual cases.

So no, you cannot take the words in the Bible literally.

However you can and should take the thoughts behind them very seriously indeed, even if it is hard work finding out what they are.

It will be worth it in the (eternal) long run.

We can do nothing else for the God to whom we owe life and breath, surely we should at the least do that?

Oh, and there is a mass of empirical evidence if only people accept it for what it truly is rather than try to wriggle round it and deny it.

Truth is truth it is simply up to us to accept it for what it is..

That's a long way to say the bible is false but it is true. In the Christian mind, it is reasonable to think 2=1.

I know....I'm just a silly atheist who doesn't understand such high minded concepts.