Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Pseudophilosophy with FREEDO

FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2010 11:29:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Imaginary George: Freedo, what do you think happens when we die?

Freedo: Death is merely the realization that nothing exists.

George: But...that doesn't make any sense...

Freedo: I apologize George, you need clarification. Allow me to take us back to another conversation I have had that may shine some light on this conundrum.

*waves hands around, imaginary portal appears*

-------flashback--------

Imaginary Steve: So Freedo, why do you think there is something as opposed to nothing?

Freedo: Perhaps a better question is "what's the difference?"

Steve: Explain.

Freedo: We, in the something, ask ourselves "how did we come from nothing?" Well, I'm sure that those in the nothing are asking themselves the same question, except "how did we come from something?".

To us the question is baffling but, when you think about it, there are probably a lot more things that don't exist than those things which do...so it must be even MORE baffling for them.

Steve: Come on now, Freedo. Be serious for a change.

Freedo: Not so fast Steve! You may say "NOTHING IS NOTHING and SOMETHING IS SOMETHING, lets just leave it at that!" But humor me for a moment, perhaps the somethings are only real to other somethings and the nothings are only real to other nothings, but not to each other!

-------------------------

George: I see.....so..what you're saying is that we become nothings when we die and it is in this sense that we "realize nothing exists" for the other nothings become real to us and the something that was before becomes the new nothing?

Freedo: Precisely.

George: Well....that is all very interesting but--

Imaginary Jack: May I infer into this conversation?

Freedo: Shut up Jack, you're imaginary.

Jack: So is George. >_<

George: Wait, what? This is getting weird...

Freedo: That's correct George, you see, you are one of those nothings I was speaking of. You had not realized this because, too you, I am the nothing.

George: That actually makes a lot of sense...I think I understand now.

Freedo: I have to go now. You're a good man, George, I look forward to meeting you when I leave my somethings.

George: The same. Goodbye Freedo.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2010 11:36:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This reminds me of an e.e. cummings poem:

anyone lived in a pretty how town
(with up so floating many bells down)
spring summer autumn winter
he sang his didn't he danced his did.

Women and men (both little and small)
cared for anyone not at all
they sowed their isn't they reaped their same
sun moon stars rain

children guessed (but only a few
and down they forgot as up they grew
autumn winter spring summer)
that noone loved him more by more

when by now and tree by leaf
she laughed his joy she cried his grief
bird by snow and stir by still
anyone's any was all to her

someones married their everyones
laughed their cryings and did their dance
(sleep wake hope and then)they
said their nevers they slept their dream

stars rain sun moon
(and only the snow can begin to explain
how children are apt to forget to remember
with up so floating many bells down)

one day anyone died i guess
(and noone stooped to kiss his face)
busy folk buried them side by side
little by little and was by was

all by all and deep by deep
and more by more they dream their sleep
noone and anyone earth by april
with by spirit and if by yes.

Women and men (both dong and ding)
summer autumn winter spring
reaped their sowing and went their came
sun moon stars rain
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2010 11:39:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/13/2010 11:29:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:

George: I see.....so..what you're saying is that we become nothings when we die and it is in this sense that we "realize nothing exists" for the other nothings become real to us and the something that was before becomes the new nothing?

And this is why, boys and girls, you do not take acid while you are pregnant. As you can see, it does have an affect on the child for the rest of their lives... <collective sigh> :P
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2010 11:43:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/13/2010 11:39:47 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 12/13/2010 11:29:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:

George: I see.....so..what you're saying is that we become nothings when we die and it is in this sense that we "realize nothing exists" for the other nothings become real to us and the something that was before becomes the new nothing?

And this is why, boys and girls, you do not take acid while you are pregnant. As you can see, it does have an affect on the child for the rest of their lives... <collective sigh> :P

"The highest form of self awareness is realizing you're just a character in someone else's dream"

~ Anonymous
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2010 11:44:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/13/2010 11:36:43 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
This reminds me of an e.e. cummings poem:

anyone lived in a pretty how town
(with up so floating many bells down)
spring summer autumn winter
he sang his didn't he danced his did.

Women and men (both little and small)
cared for anyone not at all
they sowed their isn't they reaped their same
sun moon stars rain

children guessed (but only a few
and down they forgot as up they grew
autumn winter spring summer)
that noone loved him more by more

when by now and tree by leaf
she laughed his joy she cried his grief
bird by snow and stir by still
anyone's any was all to her

someones married their everyones
laughed their cryings and did their dance
(sleep wake hope and then)they
said their nevers they slept their dream

stars rain sun moon
(and only the snow can begin to explain
how children are apt to forget to remember
with up so floating many bells down)

one day anyone died i guess
(and noone stooped to kiss his face)
busy folk buried them side by side
little by little and was by was

all by all and deep by deep
and more by more they dream their sleep
noone and anyone earth by april
with by spirit and if by yes.

Women and men (both dong and ding)
summer autumn winter spring
reaped their sowing and went their came
sun moon stars rain

savin
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ren
Posts: 7,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2010 11:56:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I thought it was pretty inventive. I enjoyed reading it, too. It's definitely better writing than Charlesb.

In the spirit of things, allow me to respond in similar fashion:

Ren: So, what if non-being were actually a counter-subject rather than the absence of a subject?

Franz: Isn't that what science proposes?

Ren: What?! C'mon, give me a break. Try that in the DDO forums and see where it takes you.

Franz: Well, antimatter is supposed to exist, right? Meaning that it's a counter-subject rather than the absence of matter, isn't it?

Ren: Well, I mean, antimatter is not the same as non-being.

Franz: Right, but the combination of matter and antimatter is.

Ren: So, you don't exist because... you're in my head?

Franz: Right... but...?

Ren: But, that suggests that you may have existed, or even definitely existed, until I contrived you.

Franz: Precisely.

Ren: So, will you continue to exist if I ever forget you?

Franz: Perhaps I should kill you and find out.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2010 12:00:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/13/2010 11:56:50 PM, Ren wrote:
I thought it was pretty inventive. I enjoyed reading it, too. It's definitely better writing than Charlesb.

In the spirit of things, allow me to respond in similar fashion:

Ren: So, what if non-being were actually a counter-subject rather than the absence of a subject?

Franz: Isn't that what science proposes?

Ren: What?! C'mon, give me a break. Try that in the DDO forums and see where it takes you.

Franz: Well, antimatter is supposed to exist, right? Meaning that it's a counter-subject rather than the absence of matter, isn't it?

Ren: Well, I mean, antimatter is not the same as non-being.

Franz: Right, but the combination of matter and antimatter is.

Ren: So, you don't exist because... you're in my head?

Franz: Right... but...?

Ren: But, that suggests that you may have existed, or even definitely existed, until I contrived you.

Franz: Precisely.

Ren: So, will you continue to exist if I ever forget you?

Franz: Perhaps I should kill you and find out.

HAHAHA, awesome.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
the-good-teacher
Posts: 444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2010 3:06:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Freedo: "Death is merely the realization that nothing exists".-

To "realize" is to "think". - In the 17Th century, the French philosopher René Descartes came up with the "explanation, "I think, therefore I am". [I exist]

Jesus told us "I am the truth", "I AM", & "My sheep know my voice and follow me", but WHY did he say these things ?.

Let's take one statement for what it is and add it to the others.in an attempt to reconcile them, - [a crash course in Metaphysics]

If to realize is to think, can we think ourselves in or out of existence ?,

Can we look at another human being and say "they exist?", - No not unless we do their thinking for them, - we really cannot know if anyone exists if for the only reason we know ourselves to exist is by the fact we are able to think.

So take "I think therefore I am", and apply it to yourself, and only to yourself. then you have truth. [fact and believing]
then take what Jesus said [above] and Bingo ! we are able to know he exists because we also know him as "truth", he is the only "I AM" we can know other than ourselves, and this is what he is teaching. this is why his voice is known to his sheep and why they follow him. it is also why he told the Pharisees "you are not my Sheep", and proceeded to talk of "lies and liars, and how Satan was their father".

Take the guy who loves his wife yet in reality he doesn't know if she exists, Jesus comes along and commands the guy to follow him, but his wife isn't up for a threesome so he chooses to continue to live in a world with his wife.

There lies the one and only sin that can loose a man his salvation, - "not believing" in Truth, the great "I AM", "which is to trust and rely on" Jesus.

If Jesus were to return another day and command the possessive wife to follow him, and she does, then the guy plays second fiddle to her God and Shepard

She then has no other God before him, [as commanded] because she put what she knew to exist and also showed love for truth [Jesus] before the relationship she had with her husband, who possibly doesn't exist.

We must count everything as lost to gain Christ Phil 3:8, which goes a long way in explaining why Jesus told us he would split families

Luke 12 :51 Suppose ye I have come to bring peace on earth?, Nay, but rather division.

Jesus said "The truth will set you free", - Bobby McGee, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose", we give up our world and gain the kingdom of God, which is at hand. [Saved]
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2010 3:21:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/14/2010 3:06:19 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
Jesus comes along and commands the guy to follow him, but his wife isn't up for a threesome so he chooses to continue to live in a world with his wife.

Sigged.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Ogan
Posts: 407
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2010 3:35:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Descartes was a one track thinker. Read carefully:

"I think, therefore I seem to be,
I feel, therefore I need to be,
I KNOW therefore I AM!

(Matthew Sutherland)
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2010 6:27:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/14/2010 3:06:19 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
Freedo: "Death is merely the realization that nothing exists".-

To "realize" is to "think". - In the 17Th century, the French philosopher René Descartes came up with the "explanation, "I think, therefore I am". [I exist]

Jesus told us "I am the truth", "I AM", & "My sheep know my voice and follow me", but WHY did he say these things ?.

Let's take one statement for what it is and add it to the others.in an attempt to reconcile them, - [a crash course in Metaphysics]

If to realize is to think, can we think ourselves in or out of existence ?,

Can we look at another human being and say "they exist?", - No not unless we do their thinking for them, - we really cannot know if anyone exists if for the only reason we know ourselves to exist is by the fact we are able to think.

So take "I think therefore I am", and apply it to yourself, and only to yourself. then you have truth. [fact and believing]
then take what Jesus said [above] and Bingo ! we are able to know he exists because we also know him as "truth", he is the only "I AM" we can know other than ourselves, and this is what he is teaching. this is why his voice is known to his sheep and why they follow him. it is also why he told the Pharisees "you are not my Sheep", and proceeded to talk of "lies and liars, and how Satan was their father".

Take the guy who loves his wife yet in reality he doesn't know if she exists, Jesus comes along and commands the guy to follow him, but his wife isn't up for a threesome so he chooses to continue to live in a world with his wife.

There lies the one and only sin that can loose a man his salvation, - "not believing" in Truth, the great "I AM", "which is to trust and rely on" Jesus.

If Jesus were to return another day and command the possessive wife to follow him, and she does, then the guy plays second fiddle to her God and Shepard

She then has no other God before him, [as commanded] because she put what she knew to exist and also showed love for truth [Jesus] before the relationship she had with her husband, who possibly doesn't exist.

We must count everything as lost to gain Christ Phil 3:8, which goes a long way in explaining why Jesus told us he would split families

Luke 12 :51 Suppose ye I have come to bring peace on earth?, Nay, but rather division.

Jesus said "The truth will set you free", - Bobby McGee, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose", we give up our world and gain the kingdom of God, which is at hand. [Saved]

You took this thread waaaay too seriously.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2010 6:28:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/14/2010 7:31:27 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Freedo is the antimatter to my matter.

Sounds kinky.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2010 7:56:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/14/2010 7:54:22 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 12/13/2010 11:29:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Imaginary Jack: May I interject?


Fixed.

Haha, thank you.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
the-good-teacher
Posts: 444
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2010 9:36:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/14/2010 6:27:45 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 12/14/2010 3:06:19 AM, the-good-teacher wrote:
Freedo: "Death is merely the realization that nothing exists".-

To "realize" is to "think". - In the 17Th century, the French philosopher René Descartes came up with the "explanation, "I think, therefore I am". [I exist]

Jesus told us "I am the truth", "I AM", & "My sheep know my voice and follow me", but WHY did he say these things ?.

Let's take one statement for what it is and add it to the others.in an attempt to reconcile them, - [a crash course in Metaphysics]

If to realize is to think, can we think ourselves in or out of existence ?,

Can we look at another human being and say "they exist?", - No not unless we do their thinking for them, - we really cannot know if anyone exists if for the only reason we know ourselves to exist is by the fact we are able to think.

So take "I think therefore I am", and apply it to yourself, and only to yourself. then you have truth. [fact and believing]
then take what Jesus said [above] and Bingo ! we are able to know he exists because we also know him as "truth", he is the only "I AM" we can know other than ourselves, and this is what he is teaching. this is why his voice is known to his sheep and why they follow him. it is also why he told the Pharisees "you are not my Sheep", and proceeded to talk of "lies and liars, and how Satan was their father".

Take the guy who loves his wife yet in reality he doesn't know if she exists, Jesus comes along and commands the guy to follow him, but his wife isn't up for a threesome so he chooses to continue to live in a world with his wife.

There lies the one and only sin that can loose a man his salvation, - "not believing" in Truth, the great "I AM", "which is to trust and rely on" Jesus.

If Jesus were to return another day and command the possessive wife to follow him, and she does, then the guy plays second fiddle to her God and Shepard

She then has no other God before him, [as commanded] because she put what she knew to exist and also showed love for truth [Jesus] before the relationship she had with her husband, who possibly doesn't exist.

We must count everything as lost to gain Christ Phil 3:8, which goes a long way in explaining why Jesus told us he would split families

Luke 12 :51 Suppose ye I have come to bring peace on earth?, Nay, but rather division.

Jesus said "The truth will set you free", - Bobby McGee, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose", we give up our world and gain the kingdom of God, which is at hand. [Saved]

You took this thread waaaay too seriously.

I didn't take it seriously, I thought it quite light hearted, but I used it as a perfect opportunity to relate it biblically seeing it's a religious form. ;-)
Sobriquet
Posts: 390
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2010 12:41:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/13/2010 11:43:15 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 12/13/2010 11:39:47 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 12/13/2010 11:29:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:

George: I see.....so..what you're saying is that we become nothings when we die and it is in this sense that we "realize nothing exists" for the other nothings become real to us and the something that was before becomes the new nothing?

And this is why, boys and girls, you do not take acid while you are pregnant. As you can see, it does have an affect on the child for the rest of their lives... <collective sigh> :P

"The highest form of self awareness is realizing you're just a character in someone else's dream"

~ Anonymous

"And as one realizes that one is a dream figure in another person's dream, that is self awareness." - Speed Levitch.

Its from Waking Life. Just slightly different wording. Speed is a pretty crazy guy. You (Freedo) may appreciate him. http://strivinglife.com...
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Caramel
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2010 1:51:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"Death is merely the realization that nothing exists."

So, you are attempting to replace the common assumption that death=0 with a new assumption that life=1 and death=-1.

I usually start out with Occam's razor immediately when dealing with tricky philisophical matters. Is it simpler to say that death is the opposite of life? Or is it simpler that life exists, and then it does not?

I think your answer is quite a bit simpler. Our current ideas of life are that we have a bunch of inanimate dirt, and that through some unknown serendipitous process life emerges when enough order is bestowed upon some kind of chemical system. The fact that we cannot replace serendipity with concerted scientific experiments is very troubling, because anything that can occur by chance should be easy to recreate purposefully.

Then there are the religious arguments, in which Occam's Razor is violated in an infinite fashion (as opposed to simply <emphasis>significantly<emphasis> by the standard scientific reasoning [or shall we say lack thereof]).

So I, much like yourself, have cautiously concluded that life simply does not cease. Applying this logic is the tricky part. I became obsessed with solipsism in the late 90s partly because of this; after all, if no one else but me out here is real then dying would only mean a return to my natural state. I then started trying to play with the relativity of the matter. I can watch you die, but I cannot experience your death myself. IOWs, you are only dead from my perspective. I don't know... All these are are ideas at this point because they have some obvious holes!
no comment
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2010 3:35:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/15/2010 12:41:19 AM, Sobriquet wrote:
At 12/13/2010 11:43:15 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 12/13/2010 11:39:47 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 12/13/2010 11:29:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:

George: I see.....so..what you're saying is that we become nothings when we die and it is in this sense that we "realize nothing exists" for the other nothings become real to us and the something that was before becomes the new nothing?

And this is why, boys and girls, you do not take acid while you are pregnant. As you can see, it does have an affect on the child for the rest of their lives... <collective sigh> :P

"The highest form of self awareness is realizing you're just a character in someone else's dream"

~ Anonymous

"And as one realizes that one is a dream figure in another person's dream, that is self awareness." - Speed Levitch.

Its from Waking Life. Just slightly different wording. Speed is a pretty crazy guy. You (Freedo) may appreciate him. http://strivinglife.com...

Oh yeah, that's actually one of my favorite movies.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2010 4:05:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/15/2010 1:51:00 PM, Caramel wrote:
"Death is merely the realization that nothing exists."

So, you are attempting to replace the common assumption that death=0 with a new assumption that life=1 and death=-1.

I usually start out with Occam's razor immediately when dealing with tricky philisophical matters. Is it simpler to say that death is the opposite of life? Or is it simpler that life exists, and then it does not?

I think your answer is quite a bit simpler. Our current ideas of life are that we have a bunch of inanimate dirt, and that through some unknown serendipitous process life emerges when enough order is bestowed upon some kind of chemical system. The fact that we cannot replace serendipity with concerted scientific experiments is very troubling, because anything that can occur by chance should be easy to recreate purposefully.

Then there are the religious arguments, in which Occam's Razor is violated in an infinite fashion (as opposed to simply <emphasis>significantly<emphasis> by the standard scientific reasoning [or shall we say lack thereof]).

So I, much like yourself, have cautiously concluded that life simply does not cease. Applying this logic is the tricky part. I became obsessed with solipsism in the late 90s partly because of this; after all, if no one else but me out here is real then dying would only mean a return to my natural state. I then started trying to play with the relativity of the matter. I can watch you die, but I cannot experience your death myself. IOWs, you are only dead from my perspective. I don't know... All these are are ideas at this point because they have some obvious holes!

Before we can ask "what happens after we die?" we must first ask "what is death?" and before we can ask that we must ask ourselves "what is life?". I think that is really the root of the problem. People attempt to answer questions without having the necessary answers to other questions.

Usually, when I speak of life I mean consciousness. But what is consciousness? We don't really know. One may explain how the brain functions, how certain parts of it are appropriated to certain tasks....but in the end that still doesn't explain consciousness. Our brains are simply made of neurons and other such mechanism which we believe consciousness magically appears within...but those neurons are simply made of chemicals and those chemicals of atoms. The cold truth seems to be that the nature of a consciousness surpasses it's own comprehension.

In trying to understand the nature of our own consciousnesses we may ask ourselves what our neurons do. It seems they only pass information. So is that consciousness?--The passing of information? Then--in an endless chain of questions--we must ask ourselves "what is information?". To a physicist, information is simply....everything.

It is at this point that we come to a very interesting hypothesis. What if everything has a consciousness? The level of consciousness a thing has would simply correspond to the level of intricacy and concentration of information passing in a certain system. It would be as if consciousness is a force of nature itself along with gravity and electro-magnetism.

Alas, in the end, you don't even know that your consciousness comes from your brain or if you even have a brain. It could all be an illusion. Your consciousness could be the only thing in existence.

All this, my friend, is called The Absurd. An inability to grasp understanding of things, of what is truth, of what is moral, of what is purpose and everything else. When one comes to the realization of The Absurd they have three choices.

1. Escape The Absurd by committing suicide. (which may indeed not be the end)

2. Escape The Absurd by taking the "leap of faith".

3. Not escaping The Absurd, but rather choosing to embrace The Absurd.

This thread is a product of me choosing the third option.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2010 4:23:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/15/2010 4:05:09 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 12/15/2010 1:51:00 PM, Caramel wrote:
"Death is merely the realization that nothing exists."

So, you are attempting to replace the common assumption that death=0 with a new assumption that life=1 and death=-1.

I usually start out with Occam's razor immediately when dealing with tricky philisophical matters. Is it simpler to say that death is the opposite of life? Or is it simpler that life exists, and then it does not?

I think your answer is quite a bit simpler. Our current ideas of life are that we have a bunch of inanimate dirt, and that through some unknown serendipitous process life emerges when enough order is bestowed upon some kind of chemical system. The fact that we cannot replace serendipity with concerted scientific experiments is very troubling, because anything that can occur by chance should be easy to recreate purposefully.

Then there are the religious arguments, in which Occam's Razor is violated in an infinite fashion (as opposed to simply <emphasis>significantly<emphasis> by the standard scientific reasoning [or shall we say lack thereof]).

So I, much like yourself, have cautiously concluded that life simply does not cease. Applying this logic is the tricky part. I became obsessed with solipsism in the late 90s partly because of this; after all, if no one else but me out here is real then dying would only mean a return to my natural state. I then started trying to play with the relativity of the matter. I can watch you die, but I cannot experience your death myself. IOWs, you are only dead from my perspective. I don't know... All these are are ideas at this point because they have some obvious holes!

Before we can ask "what happens after we die?" we must first ask "what is death?" and before we can ask that we must ask ourselves "what is life?". I think that is really the root of the problem. People attempt to answer questions without having the necessary answers to other questions.

Usually, when I speak of life I mean consciousness. But what is consciousness? We don't really know. One may explain how the brain functions, how certain parts of it are appropriated to certain tasks....but in the end that still doesn't explain consciousness. Our brains are simply made of neurons and other such mechanism which we believe consciousness magically appears within...but those neurons are simply made of chemicals and those chemicals of atoms. The cold truth seems to be that the nature of a consciousness surpasses it's own comprehension.

In trying to understand the nature of our own consciousnesses we may ask ourselves what our neurons do. It seems they only pass information. So is that consciousness?--The passing of information? Then--in an endless chain of questions--we must ask ourselves "what is information?". To a physicist, information is simply....everything.

It is at this point that we come to a very interesting hypothesis. What if everything has a consciousness? The level of consciousness a thing has would simply correspond to the level of intricacy and concentration of information passing in a certain system. It would be as if consciousness is a force of nature itself along with gravity and electro-magnetism.

Alas, in the end, you don't even know that your consciousness comes from your brain or if you even have a brain. It could all be an illusion.


Your consciousness could be the only thing in existence.

All this, my friend, is called The Absurd. An inability to grasp understanding of things, of what is truth, of what is moral, of what is purpose and everything else. When one comes to the realization of The Absurd they have three choices.

1. Escape The Absurd by committing suicide. (which may indeed not be the end)

2. Escape The Absurd by taking the "leap of faith".

3. Not escaping The Absurd, but rather choosing to embrace The Absurd.

This thread is a product of me choosing the third option.

Well said!!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat