Jump to topic:

Why Theists Are Delusional

Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:00:00 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
John Kennedy Jr. was the perfect man; handsome, wealthy, intelligent, well connected, sporting and rational thinking. His life tragically ended when the plane he was piloting crashed into the ocean. The cause was attributed to the medical condition "spatial disorientation". Kennedy was deluded into believing that his plane was flying correctly through thick fog at night when in fact it was flying upside down. His only mistake was that he had no experience at flying by instruments. Regardless of what his instruments indicated he was sure in his own mind (as were his passengers) that he was flying the right way up until of course it was too late.
Similarly, theists too suffer from delusion with their fixated belief that there is a creator. Regardless of what the facts are telling them (like the plane's instruments) their elated state will continue to make them think that what they believe is true.
Is it ever possible to train theists to navigate through life by instruments?
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:56:05 PM
At 6/13/2016 1:00:00 PM, Willows wrote:
John Kennedy Jr. was the perfect man; handsome, wealthy, intelligent, well connected, sporting and rational thinking. His life tragically ended when the plane he was piloting crashed into the ocean. The cause was attributed to the medical condition "spatial disorientation". Kennedy was deluded into believing that his plane was flying correctly through thick fog at night when in fact it was flying upside down. His only mistake was that he had no experience at flying by instruments. Regardless of what his instruments indicated he was sure in his own mind (as were his passengers) that he was flying the right way up until of course it was too late.
Similarly, theists too suffer from delusion with their fixated belief that there is a creator. Regardless of what the facts are telling them (like the plane's instruments) their elated state will continue to make them think that what they believe is true.

So by your analogy, belief in God is a fundamental instinct, like our sense of down and up. We instinctively believe in God the same way we believe in gravity. This instinct usually keeps us alive but can be confused in some circumstances.

Kennedy's instincts steered him wrong when he was in an unnatural condition produced by modern technology. He failed to follow his instruments, which might be analogous to the Bible. So I think the conclusion of the analogy should be that mankind has become disoriented by the modern world and needs to be reminded of fundamental truths, such as gravity and God.
This space for rent.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:04:26 PM

An interesting comparison with only one problem.

There really is a creator and he is the only logical source of all we see around him.

To claim it all came from nothing for no reason whatever is not only the epitome of illogicality and unreason, it is wrong according to the evidence we currently have before us, which falls a long way short of supporting evolution, let alone proving it, except in the minds of the truly deluded.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:06:55 PM

Incidentally, if John Kennedy had been a remotely perfect man he would not have made the many errors he made which ed to his death, including taking off in teh first place when he was too late to make his destination in daylight and was not instrument trained (Yes, I watch Air Crash Investigation also).

His foolish action caused not only his death but that of his wife and her sister.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:16:52 PM
At 6/13/2016 2:06:55 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Incidentally, if John Kennedy had been a remotely perfect man he would not have made the many errors he made which ed to his death, including taking off in teh first place when he was too late to make his destination in daylight and was not instrument trained (Yes, I watch Air Crash Investigation also).

His foolish action caused not only his death but that of his wife and her sister.

You abandoned your children and divorced 4 times and this was done with reckless abandonment. Your actions were no less foolish or less destructive.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:28:59 PM
At 6/13/2016 2:16:52 PM, Harikrish wrote:

You abandoned your children and divorced 4 times and this was done with reckless abandonment. Your actions were no less foolish or less destructive.

I quite agree, but the important word is were that is past and I have changed my ways, as required to do.
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:33:15 PM
At 6/13/2016 2:28:59 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

I quite agree, but the important word is were that is past and I have changed my ways, as required to do.

That does not absolve you.

Numbers 14:18 The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.'
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:59:07 PM
At 6/13/2016 2:04:26 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

An interesting comparison with only one problem.

There really is a creator and he is the only logical source of all we see around him.

Here is someone who seriously needs training in flying by instruments.

To claim it all came from nothing for no reason whatever is not only the epitome of illogicality and unreason, it is wrong according to the evidence we currently have before us, which falls a long way short of supporting evolution, let alone proving it, except in the minds of the truly deluded.

Yep, he's flying upside down alright despite what the instruments are telling him.

If you want a case study in delusion at work, MCB is your man.
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:59:14 PM
At 6/13/2016 2:33:15 PM, Harikrish wrote:

That does not absolve you.

Numbers 14:18 The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.'

Luke 15:7 I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over 99 righteous ones who have no need of repentance.

That does.

I have taken my punishment and it is done.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 4:18:06 PM
At 6/13/2016 2:59:14 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:
At 6/13/2016 2:33:15 PM, Harikrish wrote:

I have taken my punishment and it is done.

The punishment for your behavior is still going on, as the WatchTower considers you to be an "alien from the commonwealth of Israel" and without hope of surviving Armageddon. You've stated that they merely spew forth a human opinion. That's true. That's all they've ever done - and, take heart, they're generally wrong.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 1:15:45 AM
*inb4 Kennedy assassination conspiracies*
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 1:17:59 AM
I'm looking at the instruments, and they look pretty created to me, just saying.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 1:31:24 AM

Harik, just stop with the personal attacks, this is disgusting of you.
Meh!
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 9:20:05 PM
At 6/14/2016 1:31:24 AM, Axonly wrote:

Why the truth about MCB appears to hurt you might be explained by your own abandonment by your parents or their sins visiting upon you.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 1:24:18 AM
At 6/14/2016 9:20:05 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Why the truth about MCB appears to hurt you might be explained by your own abandonment by your parents or their sins visiting upon you.

Do you listen to yourself? Is this the sort of person you want to be? You can be better than this.
Meh!
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 6:26:28 AM
At 6/15/2016 1:24:18 AM, Axonly wrote:

Do you listen to yourself? Is this the sort of person you want to be? You can be better than this.

I am already a better person than you can ever hope to be.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 6:33:27 AM
At 6/15/2016 6:26:28 AM, Harikrish wrote:

How so? Because you launch malicious personal attacks at others online? Does this sound like something a good person would do?
Meh!
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 6:38:59 AM
At 6/15/2016 6:33:27 AM, Axonly wrote:

How so? Because you launch malicious personal attacks at others online? Does this sound like something a good person would do?

I am a champion of Christians and Muslims. Shaming infidels and heretics to help them mend their ways is a thankless job.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 6:43:01 AM
At 6/15/2016 6:38:59 AM, Harikrish wrote:

I am a champion of Christians and Muslims. Shaming infidels and heretics to help them mend their ways is a thankless job.

No you aren't. You're essentially just a cyber bully, this is nothing to be proud of. Leave Mad alone.
Meh!
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 6:54:24 AM
At 6/14/2016 1:17:59 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
I'm looking at the instruments, and they look pretty created to me, just saying.

Says someone born before planes had instruments.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 7:11:23 AM
It's an interesting question, Willows. I suppose some religious may retort that they have instruments -- at which point, the STEM researcher in me would want to ask how well they're calibrated, who checked them and how recently. :)

But I suspect that the problem is broader. How well do humans in general navigate by instruments? We can argue quite persuasively that religious doctrine is a poorly designed, poorly calibrated, outdated instrument, unservicable and now virtually unmaintainable. In reply, antisecular people of religious faith may demand to know what secular instruments will replace it, who made them, to what end, how well they're being used, and how we can be sure they're better.

What do you think?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 11:18:33 AM

You're half right. It is thankless. Its not a job.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 11:31:12 AM
At 6/15/2016 7:11:23 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
It's an interesting question, Willows. I suppose some religious may retort that they have instruments -- at which point, the STEM researcher in me would want to ask how well they're calibrated, who checked them and how recently. :)

But I suspect that the problem is broader. How well do humans in general navigate by instruments? We can argue quite persuasively that religious doctrine is a poorly designed, poorly calibrated, outdated instrument, unservicable and now virtually unmaintainable. In reply, antisecular people of religious faith may demand to know what secular instruments will replace it, who made them, to what end, how well they're being used, and how we can be sure they're better.

What do you think?

Good point. No matter how vigilant and critical in our thinking we try to be it is impossible to check every judgement we make and ultimately we have to rely on our gut feeling, intuition, experience etc. to get us through. It is better to be wrong or fail at something rather than not to have done anything at all.
Making a decision to have faith in a doctrine that will rule your life without properly checking its validity is a tragic mistake.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 12:04:41 PM
At 6/15/2016 11:31:12 AM, Willows wrote:
At 6/15/2016 7:11:23 AM, RuvDraba wrote:

What do you think?

Good point.

Making a decision to have faith in a doctrine that will rule your life without properly checking its validity is a tragic mistake.
Do you find it disturbing (as I do) that some doctrines require you to waive forever (and often at an extremely callow age) the right to challenge them with the accumulated wisdom of experience?

Does any doctrine claiming knowledge have the right to do that?

What is knowledge after all, but the ability to weather any degree of challenge with significant, specific, accurate, independently-verifiable prediction?

What has knowledge to fear from honest, transparent, systematic challenge, and why must anyone abandon the right to challenge and contest what is claimed?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 1:13:27 PM
At 6/15/2016 6:43:01 AM, Axonly wrote:

No you aren't. You're essentially just a cyber bully, this is nothing to be proud of. Leave Mad alone.

You finally found the father you always wanted in MCB who is probably pathetically worse than your own.
Riwaaz_Ras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 1:17:00 PM
At 6/15/2016 1:13:27 PM, Harikrish wrote:

You finally found the father you always wanted in MCB who is probably pathetically worse than your own.

You have two fathers?
(This is not a goodbye message. I may or may not come back after ten years.)
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 1:25:12 PM
At 6/15/2016 1:17:00 PM, Riwaaz_Ras wrote:

You have two fathers?

We all have fore fathers.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 1:26:28 PM

Hari, here's why you're going to stop.

1. If you had any respect for religion in general, then you would realize that viciously insulting other people is completely immoral.
2. You're damaging your religions image.
3. Mad is a human being, he has emotions. Try to respect that.
4. Personal attacks are against DDO rules, keep that in mind.
5. I believe that there is some morality in you somewhere, you can be better than this.
Meh!
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 1:46:18 PM

You have two fathers?

More evidence of your poor reading and comprehension skills. You qualify for grants as an OBC 'Other Backward Caste.'
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2016 1:50:18 PM
At 6/15/2016 1:46:18 PM, Harikrish wrote:

You have two fathers?

More evidence of your poor reading and comprehension skills. You qualify for grants as an OBC 'Other Backward Caste.'

Would you like to not flame Riwaaz as well?
Meh!