Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

God IS........ or God Represents........

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 2:11:57 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
For the sake of all readers being on the "same page"... Let us discuss the God character in the bible in the light of a mythical character and determine what lessons the writers were trying to convey through the mythical character and the things he represented or to which he was compared.

Eg, the statement "God is Love."( 1 John 4:8 ) compares a character to a human emotion and attitude.
Is it conveying the idea #1 of the character actually being a personification of human attitude and emotions or is it conveying the idea #2 that an invisible character has human emotions like love?

It seems to me that both perceptions exist. I just think that #1 is a more logical and sensible perception than #2 due to the fact that all other gods in human literature are perceived as mythical even by believers in the God of the bible.

Please feel free to add and discuss other concepts of what God represents...eg.
God is LIGHT (1 John 1:5)
God is not a man (Num23:19 )
God is a consuming fire ( Deut 4:24)
etc
Outplayz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 3:18:13 AM
At 6/14/2016 2:11:57 AM, Skyangel wrote:
For the sake of all readers being on the "same page"... Let us discuss the God character in the bible in the light of a mythical character and determine what lessons the writers were trying to convey through the mythical character and the things he represented or to which he was compared.

Eg, the statement "God is Love."( 1 John 4:8 ) compares a character to a human emotion and attitude.
Is it conveying the idea #1 of the character actually being a personification of human attitude and emotions or is it conveying the idea #2 that an invisible character has human emotions like love?

It seems to me that both perceptions exist. I just think that #1 is a more logical and sensible perception than #2 due to the fact that all other gods in human literature are perceived as mythical even by believers in the God of the bible.

etc

Lucifer means "light-bringer." I like how there are two versions of "evil." Lucifer being the lighter side and the devil being pure evil. It shows that we have the capacity for a lot more than the representation of our "God" side. To me, God just means pure good, void of evil and bad. Basically, you can only be God if you 'never' affect another negatively... Which is a pretty hard thing to do if you really think about it. Yet... it is easier to accept that we are all more like "Lucifer." Lucifer meaning both good (God) and bad (Lucifer)... with the capacity for our bad to turn into evil (Satan).
nothead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 4:13:27 AM

etc

YHWH Elohim is LOVE in the NT the New Covenant face of Him.

Not a convertible equation, just a dominant characteristic, as "Abba, Father" is.

God is LIGHT according to the scripture's definition of LIGHT. The Shekinah radiance and glory that exists.

God is not a man that He should lie, or a son of Adam that he should repent.

God is a consuming fire, the flames "alighting" the pentecostally baptized in the upper room. This connects the other words in Bible. Glory, light, shekinah, love. This is the FIRAH of YWHW.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 4:14:56 AM
At 6/14/2016 3:18:13 AM, Outplayz wrote:

Lucifer means "light-bringer."

Yes it does.

I like how there are two versions of "evil." Lucifer being the lighter side and the devil being pure evil.

I think the two "versions" are more like two different perceptions of "evil"
Some people look at an act of another person and judge it as evil where another might see the same act as good.
I think the story of Jesus conveys that principle very well due to the fact that some characters in the story saw him as good and others saw him as evil.
The character Jesus represents the light bringer. He brings light to the darkness, sight to the blind as well as causing blindness due to shining the light so brightly that it blinds some and causes them to see nothing but darkness.
It is an irony and a paradox and very amusing when you manage to see behind the "illusion"

It shows that we have the capacity for a lot more than the representation of our "God" side. To me, God just means pure good, void of evil and bad.

I think many people define God in that way, except of course those who see the God character as pure evil. The irony is that the same character can be perceived in totally opposite ways depending on human perception and judgement of the characters actions.
Good cannot be void of evil when it can appear to be evil. If it was void of evil, what would cause humans to perceive it as evil?

Basically, you can only be God if you 'never' affect another negatively... Which is a pretty hard thing to do if you really think about it. Yet... it is easier to accept that we are all more like "Lucifer." Lucifer meaning both good (God) and bad (Lucifer)... with the capacity for our bad to turn into evil (Satan).

The God of the bible stories affects people negatively when he decides to kill them with floods or famines or sends angels to kill the first born etc. so what makes you think you can only be God or be like God if you never affect another negatively? Do you think the acts of God in the bible, like sending natural disasters and killing the firstborn, etc were positive acts?

Obviously positive and negative things, good and evil, are a matter of human perception. The problem is not with any Gods or devils but with human perception itself. I think people are deceived by their own perceptions, imaginations and beliefs, not by any invisible entities.
The word Satan means adversary.
God ( good) is the adversary ( satan) of bad ( devil)
and the devil ( bad ) is the adversary ( satan) of good ( God)
Humans have the capacity to be both good and bad. Therefore humans are their own adversaries when they condemn themselves for being bad as well as their own advocates when they justify their own actions.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 4:34:55 AM
At 6/14/2016 4:13:27 AM, nothead wrote:

etc

YHWH Elohim is LOVE in the NT the New Covenant face of Him.

What exactly does that mean to you ?

Not a convertible equation, just a dominant characteristic, as "Abba, Father" is.

That statement makes no sense to me at all. Please explain what you mean.

God is LIGHT according to the scripture's definition of LIGHT. The Shekinah radiance and glory that exists.

Who says " the shekinah radiance and glory " is scriptures definition of light?
It is obviously your personal interpretation of the word.
The definition of light in the Lexicon, Strong's G5457 - ph!3;s says nothing about any shekinah radiance or glory.

God is not a man that He should lie, or a son of Adam that he should repent.

Then why do you think so many believers worship a man named Jesus as God or perceive God as a Father figure in the form of an invisible man?

God is a consuming fire, the flames "alighting" the pentecostally baptized in the upper room. This connects the other words in Bible. Glory, light, shekinah, love. This is the FIRAH of YWHW.

Is God, also the all consuming fire of hell or the lake of fire which cannot be quenched or do you think the two fires are totally different eternal fires?

Sngs 8:6............ love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame.

Nah 1:2 God is jealous,
Exod 34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:
Deut 4:24 For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2016 12:37:54 AM
The idea of God being Light..... "God is Light"( 1 John 1:5 ) can be taken literally or metaphorically.

If taken literally, we would need to perceive God as the same kind of "energy" as light "energy".
Is light a wave or matter?
http://scienceline.ucsb.edu...

Light is not an invisible person with supernatural powers. It seems to be a form of energy which produces physical enlightenment and causes people to see what they cannot see without any light.

In a metaphorical sense, light is that which produces "enlightenment" or understanding or revelation in the human mind. It is basically an understanding of information which produces human knowledge.

If God IS light, and not just something LIKE light, the concept of God being eternal, would need to be applied to LIGHT as well and would imply that LIGHT has always existed.
In Genesis 1:3 we see God (Who IS Light according to 1 John 1:5 ) creating Light or at least it APPEARS that way with the words " Let there be light and there was light."

However, God who IS Light cannot create himself ( Light) IF Light has always existed. Therefore the words " Let there be light" may not necessarily imply that Light created itself but rather that Eternal light continues to emit light for all eternity. It is like writing ...." Let that which has always existed ( Light) continue to be what it has always been ( Light) .

In the sense of light being revelation, knowledge, understanding,...... << those things have no beginning or end due to being abstract things which cannot be born or die. They are simply words we use to define aspects of the human mind and perception. In an individual human sense they begin in a person when the individual begins to learn and they end when the individual dies. In the overall sense however, they have no beginning or end due to all existing things containing information regardless of whether they are aware of the information they themselves contain or not.

Due to these ideas in my own mind, I conclude that God is merely a personification of energy as well as the abstract concepts of human understanding and revelation which brings human enlightenment. He is not an invisible person who gets sad or angry with people for not believing in his existence.