Total Posts:79|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

It's probable that God exists

DanneJeRusse
Posts: 12,641
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 12:20:50 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

Yes, it's probable, but the probability is so infinitesimally small, one would need an electron microscope to find it. Kinda like bronto's dick.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Skepticalone
Posts: 6,134
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 12:45:45 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

Kudos to Chaosism.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:22:13 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 12:20:50 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

Yes, it's probable, but the probability is so infinitesimally small, one would need an electron microscope to find it. Kinda like bronto's dick.

And/or his brain.
janesix
Posts: 3,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:34:48 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Advice, work on your debating skills.

It was horrible, I couldn't even get through your first round.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 10:37:44 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

It must suck , having to word you debate. ( It's probable.)

Proving God without a youtube clip.
I highly doubt that.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 12:36:01 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

By linking this, am I correct in assuming that you think you should have been the winner? If that's the case, I'd genuinely like to hear some specifics on why you think so. Thanks!
Chaosism
Posts: 2,674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 12:38:21 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 12:45:45 AM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

Kudos to Chaosism.

Thanks! Although, as tejretics pointed out, I needed to expand on and better support a couple things, like Occam's Razor. Darn character limits! ;P

If you happen to have any criticisms about my argument, I would be grateful to hear them. :)
Chaosism
Posts: 2,674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 12:41:19 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 10:37:44 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

It must suck , having to word you debate. ( It's probable.)

That was my initial suggestion, and he just went with it. Bronto doesn't sweat the small stuff. B)

Proving God without a youtube clip.
I highly doubt that.

He only referenced one YouTube video in this debate. That's an improvement. :)
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 1:00:54 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 12:41:19 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 6/17/2016 10:37:44 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

It must suck , having to word you debate. ( It's probable.)

That was my initial suggestion, and he just went with it. Bronto doesn't sweat the small stuff. B)

Proving God without a youtube clip.
I highly doubt that.

He only referenced one YouTube video in this debate. That's an improvement. :)

Nice .
You could use the same response for most of his posts hey.
I bet he wonders if there is WiFi connect in heaven. Eternity you tube . Mmm pure bliss
desmac
Posts: 5,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 1:11:21 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 12:41:19 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 6/17/2016 10:37:44 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

It must suck , having to word you debate. ( It's probable.)

That was my initial suggestion, and he just went with it. Bronto doesn't sweat the small stuff. B)

Proving God without a youtube clip.
I highly doubt that.

He only referenced one YouTube video in this debate. That's an improvement. :)

Do you have to watch his YouTube vids If they are used in a debate you are involved in? I avoid them like the plague in his forum posts.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 1:18:51 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 1:11:21 PM, desmac wrote:
At 6/17/2016 12:41:19 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 6/17/2016 10:37:44 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

It must suck , having to word you debate. ( It's probable.)

That was my initial suggestion, and he just went with it. Bronto doesn't sweat the small stuff. B)

Proving God without a youtube clip.
I highly doubt that.

He only referenced one YouTube video in this debate. That's an improvement. :)

Do you have to watch his YouTube vids If they are used in a debate you are involved in? I avoid them like the plague in his forum posts.

My view on that is that references are there as just that; they are not there to make the argument for you. Just like any other citation, you provide you *own* argument and cite references as external support for the points that *you* offered. I only glanced at the video during the debate because it was not attached to any substantial argument.
Redfordnutt
Posts: 222
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 2:48:38 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

In the debate with Chaosism you say there is a 50/50 chance of creationism/Atheism being correct, This is, of course, wrong. Firstly Creationism and Atheism are not a fair dichotomy, Creationism and abiogenesis would be more correct.

I cannot believe the lack of intelligence you have displayed by saying 1 of the 2 propositions must be correct thus there being a 50% chance for either outcome..... By this logic every person who plays the lottery has a 50% chance of winning.

As a long time member of these forums how and why do you all ways seem to make so many uneducated statements and false dichotomies?
Chaosism
Posts: 2,674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 3:08:21 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 2:48:38 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

In the debate with Chaosism you say there is a 50/50 chance of creationism/Atheism being correct, This is, of course, wrong. Firstly Creationism and Atheism are not a fair dichotomy, Creationism and abiogenesis would be more correct.

I cannot believe the lack of intelligence you have displayed by saying 1 of the 2 propositions must be correct thus there being a 50% chance for either outcome..... By this logic every person who plays the lottery has a 50% chance of winning.

As a long time member of these forums how and why do you all ways seem to make so many uneducated statements and false dichotomies?

Bronto seems to display a very strong aversion towards ambiguity and uncertainty through his unwillingness to accept "I/we don't know" as an answer (as illustrated in the debate, here). This is one of the psychological factors I cited in my argument: The Need for Cognitive Closure. This isn't an attempt at a diagnosis or anything; there are also alternate contributing factors that create pressures towards expressing certainty, like being in a debate environment.
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 5:35:12 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 12:36:01 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

By linking this, am I correct in assuming that you think you should have been the winner? If that's the case, I'd genuinely like to hear some specifics on why you think so. Thanks!

Nope. I link them all. That doesn't mean people will vote my way. I'm not here to win debates, but to simply stimulate the atheistic worldview with the logic of the other side. If I wanted wins, I'd take on easy debates.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 5:37:32 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 3:08:21 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 6/17/2016 2:48:38 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

In the debate with Chaosism you say there is a 50/50 chance of creationism/Atheism being correct, This is, of course, wrong. Firstly Creationism and Atheism are not a fair dichotomy, Creationism and abiogenesis would be more correct.

I cannot believe the lack of intelligence you have displayed by saying 1 of the 2 propositions must be correct thus there being a 50% chance for either outcome..... By this logic every person who plays the lottery has a 50% chance of winning.

As a long time member of these forums how and why do you all ways seem to make so many uneducated statements and false dichotomies?

Bronto seems to display a very strong aversion towards ambiguity and uncertainty through his unwillingness to accept "I/we don't know" as an answer (as illustrated in the debate, here). This is one of the psychological factors I cited in my argument: The Need for Cognitive Closure. This isn't an attempt at a diagnosis or anything; there are also alternate contributing factors that create pressures towards expressing certainty, like being in a debate environment.

Kind of like Chaosism? There is no God right? Or is it probable...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 5:40:18 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 2:48:38 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

In the debate with Chaosism you say there is a 50/50 chance of creationism/Atheism being correct, This is, of course, wrong. Firstly Creationism and Atheism are not a fair dichotomy, Creationism and abiogenesis would be more correct.

I cannot believe the lack of intelligence you have displayed by saying 1 of the 2 propositions must be correct thus there being a 50% chance for either outcome..... By this logic every person who plays the lottery has a 50% chance of winning.

As a long time member of these forums how and why do you all ways seem to make so many uneducated statements and false dichotomies?

If one of two propositions must be true, the probability is 50%. The lottery is not one of 2 must be true. It's one of 50 million.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Chaosism
Posts: 2,674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 5:42:45 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 5:35:12 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/17/2016 12:36:01 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

By linking this, am I correct in assuming that you think you should have been the winner? If that's the case, I'd genuinely like to hear some specifics on why you think so. Thanks!

Nope. I link them all. That doesn't mean people will vote my way. I'm not here to win debates, but to simply stimulate the atheistic worldview with the logic of the other side. If I wanted wins, I'd take on easy debates.

Why did you start a thread, link that debate, and give no explanation as to why you did so?
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 5:43:22 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 2:48:38 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

In the debate with Chaosism you say there is a 50/50 chance of creationism/Atheism being correct, This is, of course, wrong. Firstly Creationism and Atheism are not a fair dichotomy, Creationism and abiogenesis would be more correct.

I cannot believe the lack of intelligence you have displayed by saying 1 of the 2 propositions must be correct thus there being a 50% chance for either outcome..... By this logic every person who plays the lottery has a 50% chance of winning.

As a long time member of these forums how and why do you all ways seem to make so many uneducated statements and false dichotomies?

Such as?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 5:45:29 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 12:20:50 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

Yes, it's probable, but the probability is so infinitesimally small, one would need an electron microscope to find it. Kinda like bronto's dick.

I should make this my signature attributed to you...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Chaosism
Posts: 2,674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 5:47:48 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 5:37:32 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/17/2016 3:08:21 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 6/17/2016 2:48:38 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

In the debate with Chaosism you say there is a 50/50 chance of creationism/Atheism being correct, This is, of course, wrong. Firstly Creationism and Atheism are not a fair dichotomy, Creationism and abiogenesis would be more correct.

I cannot believe the lack of intelligence you have displayed by saying 1 of the 2 propositions must be correct thus there being a 50% chance for either outcome..... By this logic every person who plays the lottery has a 50% chance of winning.

As a long time member of these forums how and why do you all ways seem to make so many uneducated statements and false dichotomies?

Bronto seems to display a very strong aversion towards ambiguity and uncertainty through his unwillingness to accept "I/we don't know" as an answer (as illustrated in the debate, here). This is one of the psychological factors I cited in my argument: The Need for Cognitive Closure. This isn't an attempt at a diagnosis or anything; there are also alternate contributing factors that create pressures towards expressing certainty, like being in a debate environment.

Kind of like Chaosism? There is no God right? Or is it probable...

I find that the existence of such as god as defined in that debate to be very improbable due to (a) the demonstrable nature of humans to invent such explanations without a rational basis, and (b) and lack of evidence that the existence of such a being is even possible, and not simply just conceivable.

As for the point of my remark about Cognitive Closure, I am fine with accepting an "I don't know" or an otherwise uncertain answer when nothing substantial is available. This is exemplified by the example given in the post I was responding to.
matt8800
Posts: 2,077
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:00:53 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

At least you used the term "probable" rather than saying its an absolute, proven fact. Its a step in the right direction.
Chaosism
Posts: 2,674
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:38:14 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:00:53 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

At least you used the term "probable" rather than saying its an absolute, proven fact. Its a step in the right direction.

Actually, that part was me...

http://www.debate.org...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:51:22 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:38:14 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:00:53 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

At least you used the term "probable" rather than saying its an absolute, proven fact. Its a step in the right direction.

Actually, that part was me...

http://www.debate.org...

Hmmm...typical atheist self righteousness andneed for worship...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Posts: 11,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:52:26 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 5:47:48 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 6/17/2016 5:37:32 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/17/2016 3:08:21 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 6/17/2016 2:48:38 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

In the debate with Chaosism you say there is a 50/50 chance of creationism/Atheism being correct, This is, of course, wrong. Firstly Creationism and Atheism are not a fair dichotomy, Creationism and abiogenesis would be more correct.

I cannot believe the lack of intelligence you have displayed by saying 1 of the 2 propositions must be correct thus there being a 50% chance for either outcome..... By this logic every person who plays the lottery has a 50% chance of winning.

As a long time member of these forums how and why do you all ways seem to make so many uneducated statements and false dichotomies?

Bronto seems to display a very strong aversion towards ambiguity and uncertainty through his unwillingness to accept "I/we don't know" as an answer (as illustrated in the debate, here). This is one of the psychological factors I cited in my argument: The Need for Cognitive Closure. This isn't an attempt at a diagnosis or anything; there are also alternate contributing factors that create pressures towards expressing certainty, like being in a debate environment.

Kind of like Chaosism? There is no God right? Or is it probable...

I find that the existence of such as god as defined in that debate to be very improbable due to (a) the demonstrable nature of humans to invent such explanations without a rational basis, and (b) and lack of evidence that the existence of such a being is even possible, and not simply just conceivable.

As for the point of my remark about Cognitive Closure, I am fine with accepting an "I don't know" or an otherwise uncertain answer when nothing substantial is available. This is exemplified by the example given in the post I was responding to.

So it's probable.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
janesix
Posts: 3,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:55:23 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:52:26 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/17/2016 5:47:48 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 6/17/2016 5:37:32 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/17/2016 3:08:21 PM, Chaosism wrote:
At 6/17/2016 2:48:38 PM, Redfordnutt wrote:
At 6/16/2016 11:03:40 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

In the debate with Chaosism you say there is a 50/50 chance of creationism/Atheism being correct, This is, of course, wrong. Firstly Creationism and Atheism are not a fair dichotomy, Creationism and abiogenesis would be more correct.

I cannot believe the lack of intelligence you have displayed by saying 1 of the 2 propositions must be correct thus there being a 50% chance for either outcome..... By this logic every person who plays the lottery has a 50% chance of winning.

As a long time member of these forums how and why do you all ways seem to make so many uneducated statements and false dichotomies?

Bronto seems to display a very strong aversion towards ambiguity and uncertainty through his unwillingness to accept "I/we don't know" as an answer (as illustrated in the debate, here). This is one of the psychological factors I cited in my argument: The Need for Cognitive Closure. This isn't an attempt at a diagnosis or anything; there are also alternate contributing factors that create pressures towards expressing certainty, like being in a debate environment.

Kind of like Chaosism? There is no God right? Or is it probable...

I find that the existence of such as god as defined in that debate to be very improbable due to (a) the demonstrable nature of humans to invent such explanations without a rational basis, and (b) and lack of evidence that the existence of such a being is even possible, and not simply just conceivable.

As for the point of my remark about Cognitive Closure, I am fine with accepting an "I don't know" or an otherwise uncertain answer when nothing substantial is available. This is exemplified by the example given in the post I was responding to.

So it's probable.

It's 90% probable.