Total Posts:109|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Atheists....

janesix
Posts: 3,455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?
SpiritandTruth
Posts: 2,315
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 6:29:19 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Because they look at demographics, think they've figured something out that makes them really smart. They want to be on the cutting edge. Hey, they managed to figure out something that most of the world hasn't!

What they don't realize is that statistics are very misleading and their position is self defeating and fundamentally flawed. Or maybe they aren't simply ignorant, but willfully deceitful. Who knows?

Hanlon's Razor is great. Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity. It's usually between there, but it's all perverse.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 6:38:18 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?
Religion plays a big part in human history, Jane. It's the birthright of every human being to know our religious history, and to consider and discuss its influences on human society.

I have no interest in gods as possible beings since I have neither belief in nor use for them. However, I'm greatly interested in religious mythology, religious history, religion and art, religion and morality, religion and government, religion and psychology, religion and lawmaking, and interfaith relations.

Speaking only personally, I'd be happy with fewer conversations about 'your gods don't exist'/'you atheists have no purpose or moral fibre', and more threads addressing the topics I mentioned.
janesix
Posts: 3,455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 6:52:00 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 6:38:18 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?
Religion plays a big part in human history, Jane. It's the birthright of every human being to know our religious history, and to consider and discuss its influences on human society.

I have no interest in gods as possible beings since I have neither belief in nor use for them. However, I'm greatly interested in religious mythology, religious history, religion and art, religion and morality, religion and government, religion and psychology, religion and lawmaking, and interfaith relations.

Speaking only personally, I'd be happy with fewer conversations about 'your gods don't exist'/'you atheists have no purpose or moral fibre', and more threads addressing the topics I mentioned.

So have you started any threads on those topics?
janesix
Posts: 3,455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 6:54:32 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 6:29:19 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Because they look at demographics, think they've figured something out that makes them really smart. They want to be on the cutting edge. Hey, they managed to figure out something that most of the world hasn't!

What they don't realize is that statistics are very misleading and their position is self defeating and fundamentally flawed. Or maybe they aren't simply ignorant, but willfully deceitful. Who knows?

Hanlon's Razor is great. Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity. It's usually between there, but it's all perverse.

When I was an atheist, I didn't think about God often, but I DID wonder what it was that I was missing that everyone else seemed to know. It bothered me somewhat.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 6:56:48 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Why wouldn't they? If they enjoy doing that and time is limited, why would they not?
janesix
Posts: 3,455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 6:59:49 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 6:56:48 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Why wouldn't they? If they enjoy doing that and time is limited, why would they not?

I am just curious. I never spent time debating theists when I was an atheist. But that could be because I didn't spend much time online back then.
janesix
Posts: 3,455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:00:50 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 6:56:48 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Why wouldn't they? If they enjoy doing that and time is limited, why would they not?

Are you an atheist?
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:05:32 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:00:50 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:56:48 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Why wouldn't they? If they enjoy doing that and time is limited, why would they not?

Are you an atheist?

I was until a 7 weeks ago
janesix
Posts: 3,455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:06:30 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:05:32 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:00:50 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:56:48 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Why wouldn't they? If they enjoy doing that and time is limited, why would they not?

Are you an atheist?

I was until a 7 weeks ago

What happened 7 weeks ago to change your mind?
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,821
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:12:58 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Because they like feeling like they're "better' than the theists.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:13:26 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:06:30 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:05:32 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:00:50 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:56:48 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Why wouldn't they? If they enjoy doing that and time is limited, why would they not?

Are you an atheist?

I was until a 7 weeks ago

What happened 7 weeks ago to change your mind?

I just consciously decided I would prefer to believe after a cost benefit analysis. Though the studies connecting born again christians to brain atrophy, certainly concern me.
RuvDraba
Posts: 6,033
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:13:36 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 6:52:00 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:38:18 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?
Religion plays a big part in human history, Jane. It's the birthright of every human being to know our religious history, and to consider and discuss its influences on human society.

I have no interest in gods as possible beings since I have neither belief in nor use for them. However, I'm greatly interested in religious mythology, religious history, religion and art, religion and morality, religion and government, religion and psychology, religion and lawmaking, and interfaith relations.

Speaking only personally, I'd be happy with fewer conversations about 'your gods don't exist'/'you atheists have no purpose or moral fibre', and more threads addressing the topics I mentioned.

So have you started any threads on those topics?

As a recent example: [http://www.debate.org...]

The thread was posted two days ago, Jane, and has seen zero responses.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:16:15 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:13:36 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:52:00 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:38:18 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?
Religion plays a big part in human history, Jane. It's the birthright of every human being to know our religious history, and to consider and discuss its influences on human society.

I have no interest in gods as possible beings since I have neither belief in nor use for them. However, I'm greatly interested in religious mythology, religious history, religion and art, religion and morality, religion and government, religion and psychology, religion and lawmaking, and interfaith relations.

Speaking only personally, I'd be happy with fewer conversations about 'your gods don't exist'/'you atheists have no purpose or moral fibre', and more threads addressing the topics I mentioned.

So have you started any threads on those topics?

As a recent example: [http://www.debate.org...]

The thread was posted two days ago, Jane, and has seen zero responses.

Typical of this section. The best threads are ignored, while the crap ones get the most attention, due to mainly the handful of users who have stayed past their welcome and gave deteriorated the quality of this section.
janesix
Posts: 3,455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:18:10 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:13:36 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:52:00 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:38:18 AM, RuvDraba wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?
Religion plays a big part in human history, Jane. It's the birthright of every human being to know our religious history, and to consider and discuss its influences on human society.

I have no interest in gods as possible beings since I have neither belief in nor use for them. However, I'm greatly interested in religious mythology, religious history, religion and art, religion and morality, religion and government, religion and psychology, religion and lawmaking, and interfaith relations.

Speaking only personally, I'd be happy with fewer conversations about 'your gods don't exist'/'you atheists have no purpose or moral fibre', and more threads addressing the topics I mentioned.

So have you started any threads on those topics?

As a recent example: [http://www.debate.org...]

The thread was posted two days ago, Jane, and has seen zero responses.

Join the club:) No one is interested in the things I'm interested either.
janesix
Posts: 3,455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:20:44 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:13:26 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:06:30 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:05:32 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:00:50 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:56:48 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Why wouldn't they? If they enjoy doing that and time is limited, why would they not?

Are you an atheist?

I was until a 7 weeks ago

What happened 7 weeks ago to change your mind?

I just consciously decided I would prefer to believe after a cost benefit analysis. Though the studies connecting born again christians to brain atrophy, certainly concern me.

You should go back to being an atheist. It's much easier to live with.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:36:49 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:20:44 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:13:26 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:06:30 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:05:32 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:00:50 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:56:48 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Why wouldn't they? If they enjoy doing that and time is limited, why would they not?

Are you an atheist?

I was until a 7 weeks ago

What happened 7 weeks ago to change your mind?

I just consciously decided I would prefer to believe after a cost benefit analysis. Though the studies connecting born again christians to brain atrophy, certainly concern me.

You should go back to being an atheist. It's much easier to live with.

Why do you say that?

Why is the path of least resistance preferrable if that is the case?
janesix
Posts: 3,455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:39:41 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:36:49 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:20:44 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:13:26 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:06:30 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:05:32 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:00:50 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:56:48 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Why wouldn't they? If they enjoy doing that and time is limited, why would they not?

Are you an atheist?

I was until a 7 weeks ago

What happened 7 weeks ago to change your mind?

I just consciously decided I would prefer to believe after a cost benefit analysis. Though the studies connecting born again christians to brain atrophy, certainly concern me.

You should go back to being an atheist. It's much easier to live with.

Why do you say that?

Why is the path of least resistance preferrable if that is the case?

As an atheist I didn't have someone looking over my shoulder 24/7. It's truly annoying.

Some of it is cool, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
RedAtheist912
Posts: 89
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:40:52 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Because debating is fun?
janesix
Posts: 3,455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:43:23 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:40:52 AM, RedAtheist912 wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Because debating is fun?

That's a good reason. I agree.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:44:56 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
As an atheist I didn't have someone looking over my shoulder 24/7. It's truly annoying.

You don't need to think like that. Jesus forgives you no matter what you do. You can do whatever you want. You can go be a serial killer and go to heaven. The rules in the bible are given out of love, because disobeying them harms you. Like a parent who says not to touch a hot stove because it will burn. If God tells you to stay married, it is because divorce hurts as one example. His rules are out of love, not as an authoritarian. There is no need to walk on egg shells. If you don't like his rules, than disobey them.

Some of it is cool, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
janesix
Posts: 3,455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:48:04 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:44:56 AM, Wylted wrote:
As an atheist I didn't have someone looking over my shoulder 24/7. It's truly annoying.

You don't need to think like that. Jesus forgives you no matter what you do. You can do whatever you want. You can go be a serial killer and go to heaven. The rules in the bible are given out of love, because disobeying them harms you. Like a parent who says not to touch a hot stove because it will burn. If God tells you to stay married, it is because divorce hurts as one example. His rules are out of love, not as an authoritarian. There is no need to walk on egg shells. If you don't like his rules, than disobey them.

Jesus doesn't exist. Never did. Jesus is a metaphor. A personification for kundalini.

Some of it is cool, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
tarantula
Posts: 854
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:48:45 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Belief in a god which whose existence cannot be substantiated needs to be challenged because extremists cause so much mayhem. Threatening the young and the vulnerable with hell-fire if they don't convert is EVIL!
janesix
Posts: 3,455
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:51:18 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:48:45 AM, tarantula wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Belief in a god which whose existence cannot be substantiated needs to be challenged because extremists cause so much mayhem. Threatening the young and the vulnerable with hell-fire if they don't convert is EVIL!

You sound like a fan of Richard Dawkins. Do you have any of your own ideas?
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:52:08 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:48:04 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:44:56 AM, Wylted wrote:
As an atheist I didn't have someone looking over my shoulder 24/7. It's truly annoying.

You don't need to think like that. Jesus forgives you no matter what you do. You can do whatever you want. You can go be a serial killer and go to heaven. The rules in the bible are given out of love, because disobeying them harms you. Like a parent who says not to touch a hot stove because it will burn. If God tells you to stay married, it is because divorce hurts as one example. His rules are out of love, not as an authoritarian. There is no need to walk on egg shells. If you don't like his rules, than disobey them.

Jesus doesn't exist. Never did. Jesus is a metaphor. A personification for kundalini.

Maybe he was mythicized a bit, but I think there is no doubt to reasonable people that he existed.

If you believe in the Kundalini and other hindu beliefs, you don't think anyone is looking over your shoulder judging every action either.

There is definitely some benefit to hinduism.

Some of it is cool, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
Willows
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 7:57:44 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:20:44 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:13:26 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:06:30 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:05:32 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:00:50 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:56:48 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Why wouldn't they? If they enjoy doing that and time is limited, why would they not?

Are you an atheist?

I was until a 7 weeks ago

What happened 7 weeks ago to change your mind?

I just consciously decided I would prefer to believe after a cost benefit analysis. Though the studies connecting born again christians to brain atrophy, certainly concern me.

You should go back to being an atheist. It's much easier to l live with.

My experience is of becoming an atheist was not an issue of which sounds better for me.
It was from becoming increasingly wary and frustrated about what I was being told in church. I belonged to a mainstream denomination and started doing a comprehensive amount of research and fact finding. I find it a relief that I no longer have to talk in metaphors to people with an artificial smile on my face. I feel free to think for myself rather being told what and how to think without guilt being thrust upon me. Also, I can enjoy what life has to offer without living on my knees, being a slave to some master.
illegalcombat
Posts: 632
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 8:42:00 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

This is a b*tch move by theists.

For how long has humanity being plagued by their fellow humans, to know the mind of the divine, threaten hell promise heaven, control, and a ton of assertions about the God they believe in.

But bit by bit people started fighting back and saw the emperor has no clothes.

Look at the industry that is religion, and look at the atheists and skeptics, its david vs Goliath, and religion is Goliath.

Yet there are still mother f*ckers who complain, I think you debate,argue, to much..........

Maybe you should ask yourself, since those mother f*ckers can't actualy DEMONSTRATE sh*t, and can only rely on their own assertions about how right they are, how about you complain about that.............
bulproof
Posts: 25,218
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 9:10:32 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 6:29:19 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Because they look at demographics, think they've figured something out that makes them really smart. They want to be on the cutting edge. Hey, they managed to figure out something that most of the world hasn't!

What they don't realize is that statistics are very misleading and their position is self defeating and fundamentally flawed. Or maybe they aren't simply ignorant, but willfully deceitful. Who knows?

Hanlon's Razor is great. Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity. It's usually between there, but it's all perverse.
Because it's fun playing with the permanently bewildered like Spit.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
tarantula
Posts: 854
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 9:30:16 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 7:51:18 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/17/2016 7:48:45 AM, tarantula wrote:
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

Belief in a god which whose existence cannot be substantiated needs to be challenged because extremists cause so much mayhem. Threatening the young and the vulnerable with hell-fire if they don't convert is EVIL!

You sound like a fan of Richard Dawkins. Do you have any of your own ideas?

My ideas are ALL my own, I am not a follower of anyone apart from myself. I have experienced at first hand the evil of extremist Christianity!
Chaosism
Posts: 2,656
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2016 12:48:49 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/17/2016 6:22:29 AM, janesix wrote:
Why spend so much time on ddo debating theists about God? Why spend so much time thinking about God, if he doesn't exist?

To test my beliefs and understanding of the world by offering them to those with opposing views. The world would be boring if we all agreed, and I loathe to linger in an echo chamber. I've spoken this analogy before:

"You know not the strength of a battleship when harbored amongst allies. It's only in the face of opposition that its strength is truly revealed."

Also, the challenge to my own beliefs and the analysis of others leads me to investigate deeper than I normally would, so that's another positive.