Jump to topic:

why am I an atheist?

DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 11:59:28 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
i'm an atheist because of a very simple reason.
if your god was real, then your god wouldn't need you to tell me that your god is real.
this is especially true, if you believe in a god that is supposed to be able to talk or communicate with people.

if your god isn't able to convince me that it is real, then i doubt that you can.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 12:07:08 AM
At 6/21/2016 11:59:28 PM, DanMGTOW wrote:
if your god was real, then your god wouldn't need you to tell me that your god is real.
this is especially true, if you believe in a god that is supposed to be able to talk or communicate with people.

if your god isn't able to convince me that it is real, then i doubt that you can.

Maybe god doesnt want you to know he exists.
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 12:19:04 AM
At 6/22/2016 12:07:08 AM, janesix wrote:

that is possible.
another possibility is that your god is a myth.
Stronn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 12:21:16 AM
I'm an atheist because I have seen no compelling argument or evidence for the existence of a supernatural creator, and plenty of evidence that religion is man-made.
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 12:30:41 AM
At 6/22/2016 12:19:04 AM, DanMGTOW wrote:

that is possible.
another possibility is that your god is a myth.

That is possible.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 2:13:12 AM

I was a champion of Atheism on here a few years ago, but I was convinced God exists through unconventional arguments. Design, cosmological, moral, and ontological arguments just didn't do it for me. But I found that God makes sense because Idealism makes sense. Even though I was convinced of some version of God, the traditional God of religion argued for a lot today is one I reserve belief in.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 2:17:51 AM
Pretty much by definition, ignorant superstition is the propitiation of supernatural conjectures without demonstrable knowledge.

Every religion recognises and deplores ignorant superstition in other faiths, yet not in itself. Everyone can see the ignorance, dishonesty and conceit in every religion, yet adherents can't see it in their own.

We have an effective, cross-cultural, historical best-practice standard of honesty, accountability and epistemic responsibility. Everyone uses it, everyone demands it of every other faith, yet each religion exempts itself, and knowing it can't meet that standard, invents special pleading excuses to not even try.

Human intellect demands honesty, integrity, and accountability, however unpopular. It's not enough to say 'Your superstitions are wrong because my superstitions are right' or 'I'm not convinced so please come back and patronise me more tomorrow'.

I am an atheist because it's necessary to call the theological charade for what it is: a parade of naked little emperors scrambling to the top of some imaginary supremacist hill, each proclaiming how much better dressed they are for the job than everyone else.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 2:25:49 AM
At 6/22/2016 2:13:12 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

I was a champion of Atheism on here a few years ago, but I was convinced God exists through unconventional arguments. Design, cosmological, moral, and ontological arguments just didn't do it for me. But I found that God makes sense because Idealism makes sense. Even though I was convinced of some version of God, the traditional God of religion argued for a lot today is one I reserve belief in.

Do you believe in a god who intervenes and judges?
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 2:29:22 AM

If he is all powerful, then I suppose he would succeed. So if he purposely hides from someone, does he still torture them for eternity for the crime of not knowing him?
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 3:03:36 AM
At 6/22/2016 2:29:22 AM, matt8800 wrote:

If he is all powerful, then I suppose he would succeed. So if he purposely hides from someone, does he still torture them for eternity for the crime of not knowing him?

I cant answer that because i dont believe in the christian god of bible.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 3:05:42 AM
At 6/22/2016 3:03:36 AM, janesix wrote:
At 6/22/2016 2:29:22 AM, matt8800 wrote:

I cant answer that because i dont believe in the christian god of bible.

lol...glad to hear that :)
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 3:17:25 AM
Is it not written that the gospel has been" preached to every creature under heaven"?

Is it not written that "For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made"?

Clearly you aren't talking about the God I am a witness to.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 3:23:51 AM

then which god do you believe in, and can you be specific on how idealism convinced you? can you connect the dots from "idealism" to "therefore this specific god must be real"?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 3:26:55 AM
At 6/22/2016 2:25:49 AM, matt8800 wrote:

Well that all depends on what you mean by "intervenes". But I don't believe God is a morally perfect being who judges us for sinning. I think the thrust behind the Problem of Evil is more powerful than the responses to it. I think morality is useful is a useful to for primates such as ourselves, but God is a being greater than one bound by our animalistic ethics. In other words, I think God is morally indifferent.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 3:29:21 AM
At 6/22/2016 2:25:49 AM, matt8800 wrote:

*I think morality is a useful tool for primates such as ourselves
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 3:32:20 AM
At 6/22/2016 3:23:51 AM, DanMGTOW wrote:

then which god do you believe in, and can you be specific on how idealism convinced you? can you connect the dots from "idealism" to "therefore this specific god must be real"?

Well I believe in a grand mind that grounds our minds and empirical reality. That's about as far as it goes. I wouldn't say I believe in a specific God.
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 4:03:36 AM
At 6/22/2016 3:32:20 AM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 6/22/2016 3:23:51 AM, DanMGTOW wrote:

Well I believe in a grand mind that grounds our minds and empirical reality. That's about as far as it goes. I wouldn't say I believe in a specific God.

That is an interesting concept. I am hearing more also of some who (want to) believe that the term "God" can be used as a loose blanket cover description of awareness or feelings that cannot otherwise be described.

Can these concepts be regarded as a mild form of religion or even the basis of developing religion?
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 4:32:33 AM
I am an atheist but more importantly I am a critical thinker. Critical thinking enables me to properly research information and logically form a conclusion without letting preconceived notions being an influence.

It is not possible to know everything or evaluate every decision I make however I think I am far better off compared with reasoning by false suppositions.
CADupin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 5:30:57 AM
At 6/22/2016 3:17:25 AM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Is it not written that the gospel has been" preached to every creature under heaven"?

Is it not written that "For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made"?

Is it not written that Harry Potter went to Hogwarts?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 7:11:05 AM
At 6/22/2016 5:30:57 AM, CADupin wrote:

In fact is it not written that mosquitoes rule the universe? Well it is now.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 12:10:15 PM

The point here being, someone doesn't know what they are talking about.

God is not creation, and if you think God is creation, it's because you don't understand what is going on, not because you managed to figure out the obvious.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 12:18:59 PM
At 6/22/2016 12:10:15 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

God is not creation, and if you think God is creation, it's because you don't understand what is going on, not because you managed to figure out the obvious.

gods are nothing but fairy tales.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 12:31:16 PM
At 6/22/2016 12:18:59 PM, desmac wrote:

God is The Ultimate Reality, and if you do not accept this, your understanding certainly is a fairy tale.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 1:13:12 PM
Dude, seriously. Where do you people get your idea of what is logical. Just because something IS being done doesn't therefore mean that it is a NEED. Doesn't mean there aren't examples of that which is done because of a need. Just means your reasoning in regards to this is just another false premise.

And how old are you?
How long does it take?
Can you actually prove how long it takes for each person?
Can you prove that each person has the same length of time as dictated by this God?
You simply lack basic cohesive logic skills. Doesn't mean you're not intelligent, just means logic eludes you on some levels.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 1:42:21 PM
At 6/22/2016 12:21:16 AM, Stronn wrote:
I'm an atheist because I have seen no compelling argument or evidence for the existence of a supernatural creator, and plenty of evidence that religion is man-made.

What he said.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 1:52:00 PM
At 6/22/2016 1:13:12 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:
Dude, seriously. Where do you people get your idea of what is logical. Just because something IS being done doesn't therefore mean that it is a NEED. Doesn't mean there aren't examples of that which is done because of a need. Just means your reasoning in regards to this is just another false premise.

And how old are you?
How long does it take?
Can you prove that each person has the same length of time as dictated by this God?
You simply lack basic cohesive logic skills. Doesn't mean you're not intelligent, just means logic eludes you on some levels.

Ha ha logic says sky fairies exist.
Ya think?
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 3:08:26 PM
At 6/22/2016 1:13:12 PM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

And how old are you?
How long does it take?

it only took 1 comment for me to believe that you are real.
which god do you believe is real?
and what convinced you that your god is real?
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 3:31:23 PM

You are assuming that if God exists, God must want you to know it. Yet there is no evidence to suggest that this would be the case, beyond the blind assertions of those who believe it.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 4:20:51 PM
At 6/22/2016 12:31:16 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
At 6/22/2016 12:18:59 PM, desmac wrote:

God is The Ultimate Reality, and if you do not accept this, your understanding certainly is a fairy tale.

That is just another one of your lies, though.
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 4:42:23 PM
At 6/22/2016 3:31:23 PM, PureX wrote:

You are assuming that if God exists, God must want you to know it. Yet there is no evidence to suggest that this would be the case, beyond the blind assertions of those who believe it.

so you believe in a god that doesn't want me to know that your god is real?
thank you, that is another reason to be an atheist.
that explains why you don't have any evidence that your god is real.
maybe you can believe without evidence, but i can't.