Is Christianity false?

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 2:34:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yes...No... Do you know ?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 2:34:50 PM
At 12/17/2010 2:34:19 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

I'd say no but that's just me :D
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 5:09:04 PM
At 12/17/2010 2:34:50 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

Christianity is false in many respects, whether it be historical inaccuracies, unfulfilled prophecies, or the wild claims of magical metaphysics that have been indirectly proven wrong by nearly all accounts of scientific inquiry.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 6:11:41 PM
At 12/17/2010 5:09:04 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:

Christianity is false in many respects, whether it be historical inaccuracies, unfulfilled prophecies, or the wild claims of magical metaphysics that have been indirectly proven wrong by nearly all accounts of scientific inquiry.

Which metaphysics would those be? Please be specific.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 6:26:53 PM
I wouldn't call Christianity true but I wouldn't call it false either.

To call it 'true', I would have absolute proof to substantiate such a claim. But I don't.

To call it 'false', I would have an alternative philosophy or theory which absolutely proves that Christianity cannot in fact be truthful. But I don't.

So I'm left with the position, "I'm seriously skeptical of the validity of Christianity."
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 6:33:10 PM
At 12/17/2010 6:26:53 PM, annhasle wrote:
I wouldn't call Christianity true but I wouldn't call it false either.

To call it 'true', I would have absolute proof to substantiate such a claim. But I don't.

To call it 'false', I would have an alternative philosophy or theory which absolutely proves that Christianity cannot in fact be truthful. But I don't.

So I'm left with the position, "I'm seriously skeptical of the validity of Christianity."

How about the "meaning" or "message" in it. Would you pick another over it if you had to?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 6:35:31 PM
At 12/17/2010 6:33:10 PM, jharry wrote:

How about the "meaning" or "message" in it.

I'm not sure what you mean... Elaborate?

Would you pick another over it if you had to?

No. To say it is 'true' or 'false' would be fallacious since I do not have the adequate proof to substantiate either claim. I'm extremely skeptical but I'm not willing to say that Christianity is 'false'.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 6:36:21 PM

I bet you're not just rambling XD I'm killin myself :D
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 7:23:20 PM

What? You don't have to have an alternative philosophy or theory to prove Christianity is false. You can disprove Christianity whether there are alternative philosophies or not.

Also, don't you already abide by an "alternative philosophy" that you believe to be true? If so, and your philosophy is contrary to Christianity, wouldn't that mean you do have an "alternative philosophy" that holds Christianity to be false?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 7:26:10 PM
magical metaphysics that have been indirectly proven wrong by nearly all accounts of scientific inquiry.

How can science disprove metaphysics?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 7:35:18 PM
At 12/17/2010 7:23:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

What? You don't have to have an alternative philosophy or theory to prove Christianity is false. You can disprove Christianity whether there are alternative philosophies or not.

I cannot prove Christianity to be absolutely false.

And yes, I suppose I could go through each claim Christianity makes and analyze each historical or magical event it claims to have happened. And from there, I could make a stance against it's "truthfulness" but it still won't be absolute.

Also, don't you already abide by an "alternative philosophy" that you believe to be true?

Something religious? No.

If so, and your philosophy is contrary to Christianity, wouldn't that mean you do have an "alternative philosophy" that holds Christianity to be false?

I don't though. I'm not religious nor spiritual.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 7:40:16 PM
At 12/17/2010 7:35:18 PM, annhasle wrote:

And yes, I suppose I could go through each claim Christianity makes and analyze each historical or magical event it claims to have happened. And from there, I could make a stance against it's "truthfulness" but it still won't be absolute.

Moving goal fallacy. No matter how much of you Bible you prove to be erroneous, you will never satify the majority of people.
Google "errors in the bible"... 3.5 million results.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 7:40:48 PM

Why not?

http://www.strongatheism.net...

Also, don't you already abide by an "alternative philosophy" that you believe to be true?

Something religious? No.

I said "philosophy."

If so, and your philosophy is contrary to Christianity, wouldn't that mean you do have an "alternative philosophy" that holds Christianity to be false?

Again, I never said "religious or spiritual." I said "philosophy."
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
laleona89
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 7:43:32 PM
I think it is true to some people but false to others.
It is depending on your beliefs.
but in general we cannot prove it is true nor false.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 7:47:38 PM
At 12/17/2010 7:40:48 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Why not?

Well, I have yet to hear any "Strong atheist" argument which absolutely disproves the chance of God. Don't get me wrong, I'm about 95% there. But I'm not going to claim that Christianity is 'false' as of yet.

Something religious? No.

I said "philosophy."

Then it's still a 'no'. Being an atheist does not prove that Christianity is 'false'. It shows that I do not believe in the Christian God and live under the assumption that he/she does not exist.

Again, I never said "religious or spiritual." I said "philosophy."

See above.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 7:48:41 PM
At 12/17/2010 7:40:16 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Moving goal fallacy. No matter how much of you Bible you prove to be erroneous, you will never satify the majority of people.

Yes, I know that. Which further substantiates my assertion that I cannot prove Christianity to be absolutely 'false'.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 7:55:49 PM
At 12/17/2010 7:47:38 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why not?

Well, I have yet to hear any "Strong atheist" argument which absolutely disproves the chance of God.

Then I urge you to check the link.

I said "philosophy."

Then it's still a 'no'. Being an atheist

Well, I'm not specifically referring to Atheism. You abide by a philosophical system that is much more encompassing than Atheism and is a combination of various philosophies. For example, you are a moral nihilist, logical positivist, atheist, etc.

does not prove that Christianity is 'false'. It shows that I do not believe in the Christian God and live under the assumption that he/she does not exist.

Let me put it this way:

P1: You believe that your "philosophical system" is true.
P2: Your philosophy negates many fundamental claims of Christianity (meaning they both can't simultaneously be true).
C: If your philosophy is true, then Christianity is false.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 8:12:38 PM
At 12/17/2010 7:55:49 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 12/17/2010 7:47:38 PM, annhasle wrote:
Why not?

Well, I have yet to hear any "Strong atheist" argument which absolutely disproves the chance of God.

Then I urge you to check the link.

I've been looking at it and will let you know if anything interests me. Who knows, it could spur a debate. :P

I said "philosophy."

Then it's still a 'no'. Being an atheist

Well, I'm not specifically referring to Atheism. You abide by a philosophical system that is much more encompassing than Atheism and is a combination of various philosophies. For example, you are a moral nihilist, logical positivist, atheist, etc.

The core tenants of Christianity are definitely illogical to me -- and are in opposition to my personal stances. I think of my own as the closest to being true but I cannot make the universal claim that they ARE true. I'll debate their truthfulness and attempt to prove that they are in fact more viable than the Christian ones (like Divine Command Theory) but can I really say that they ARE in fact 100% true? That's the dilemma for me. I'm always very careful about what I claim to be "true" or not.

does not prove that Christianity is 'false'. It shows that I do not believe in the Christian God and live under the assumption that he/she does not exist.

Let me put it this way:

P1: You believe that your "philosophical system" is true.
P2: Your philosophy negates many fundamental claims of Christianity (meaning they both can't simultaneously be true).
C: If your philosophy is true, then Christianity is false.

See above. I do not make the claim that they are in fact absolutely 'true'. I DO think they're closer to being true than the Christian ones...
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 8:31:12 PM
At 12/17/2010 7:40:16 PM, tvellalott wrote:

You have no idea how stupid people have become.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 8:45:08 PM

Probably.

I think God's existence is on par with Russel's teapot or Carl Sagan's invisible fire-breathing dragon that lives in a garage. ---->

Poopka doesn't think these are good analogies for some reason, but I think they are.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 8:57:24 PM
At 12/17/2010 8:45:08 PM, Freeman wrote:

Probably.

I think God's existence is on par with Russel's teapot or Carl Sagan's invisible fire-breathing dragon that lives in a garage. ---->

Poopka doesn't think these are good analogies for some reason, but I think they are.

They aren't good analogies but that reminds me that I've still got to make that debate for you. I now have time since finals are over.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:01:11 PM
At 12/17/2010 8:59:39 PM, Mirza wrote:
The teapot analogy is as stupid as fish.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:07:38 PM
At 12/17/2010 9:01:11 PM, annhasle wrote:

Owned

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:09:05 PM
At 12/17/2010 9:07:38 PM, Freeman wrote:

Owned
Not at all.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:17:08 PM
At 12/17/2010 8:57:24 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Probably.

They aren't good analogies but that reminds me that I've still got to make that debate for you. I now have time since finals are over.

No worries. I've still got to debate Mirza.

As for the analogy, I concur with Karl Popper. Any hypothesis which sets itself up to be unfalsifiable is a bad hypothesis (and borders on being useless).

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:18:37 PM
At 12/17/2010 9:09:05 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/17/2010 9:07:38 PM, Freeman wrote:

Owned
Not at all.

Yur juss jealouz of me skillz...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:44:23 PM
At 12/17/2010 9:17:08 PM, Freeman wrote:

Probably.

As for the analogy, I concur with Karl Popper. Any hypothesis which sets itself up to be unfalsifiable is a bad hypothesis (and borders on being useless).

Popperian falsifiability doesn't really apply to philosophical positions...
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:54:54 PM
At 12/17/2010 9:44:23 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 12/17/2010 9:17:08 PM, Freeman wrote:

Probably.

Popperian falsifiability doesn't really apply to philosophical positions...

God's existence is not a philosophical proposition; it's a scientific one. :P

Philosophy may help decide the matter, but it isn't detached from scientific inquiry.