Jump to topic:

Why is Satan supposed to be so bad?

tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 10:25:26 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
I just don't understand why Satan is supposed to be a baddie but the Biblical god all that is good? The deeds attributed to god are highly unpleasant to say the least, and indicate the entity is very deranged. Although poor Satan is always slagged off, no actual misdeeds have been attributed to him.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 10:30:52 AM
At 6/23/2016 10:25:26 AM, tarantula wrote:
I just don't understand why Satan is supposed to be a baddie but the Biblical god all that is good? The deeds attributed to god are highly unpleasant to say the least, and indicate the entity is very deranged. Although poor Satan is always slagged off, no actual misdeeds have been attributed to him.

Maybe he is a homosexual.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 10:34:23 AM
At 6/23/2016 10:30:52 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Which wouldn't of course make him bad.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 10:47:29 AM
At 6/23/2016 10:34:23 AM, tarantula wrote:

Hell no .
But you know God.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 10:56:09 AM

Because he is one of god's most imperfect creations.
shnarkle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 5:43:56 PM

shanrkle: If we were to take one of the more obvious sources for finding more about this character Satan, i.e. the bible we would note that his name means simply "the adversary". In a debate there is nothing evil or bad about our opponent or "adversary" now is there? In the book of Job Satan is someone who seems to regularly engage in conversation with God and they even engage in a sort of cosmic bar bet which doesn't make one worse or better than the other except for the one who wins; in this case it's God. Perhaps it's simply just about "sticking with the winners".

When you mention the unpleasant deeds of God (again with reference to the bible) the first arguments mentioned usually refer to the flood of Noah, the wars, the genocide that this God instigates, but do you think that there is no good reason to go to war? If people are engaging in immoral and ghastly behavior should we just let them continue to make themselves more and more monstrous? The destruction carried out at God's request is explicitly stated to be towards those who are themselves "continually evil".

In the interest of fairness, this isn't restricted to God either. The stories of David in the books of Kings and Chronicles point out that God may have caused David to number Israel, but it is Satan who actually instigates David, so here again Satan seems to be a tool that God can distance himself from like Presidents of companies or countries do nowadays.

Satan doesn't seem to be such a baddie at all, and just as he converses with God in the old testament, he engages in a few discussions with Jesus in the new as well. When Jesus gets tired of his discussion he just tells him to buzz off so Satan seems to be sort of a loser than evil or "so bad". A more modern approach might view Satan as simply the ego or super ego which we wouldn't look at as evil or bad, but more of a problem when unrestrained.
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 5:54:47 PM
At 6/23/2016 10:56:09 AM, desmac wrote:

Seems like that is a crack in Gods perfection. He seems to have a lot of imperfect creations. Maybe it was because it was his first creation and he lacked experience?
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 7:43:20 PM
At 6/23/2016 5:54:47 PM, matt8800 wrote:
At 6/23/2016 10:56:09 AM, desmac wrote:

Seems like that is a crack in Gods perfection. He seems to have a lot of imperfect creations. Maybe it was because it was his first creation and he lacked experience?

Maybe he/she didn't finish the godhood apprenticeship scheme.
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 7:58:17 PM
Satan is the most beautiful and attractive of all the angels. Satan is the embodiment of pride.

The devil is on a mission to kill, steal, and destroy. The accuser of the brethren, the deceiver of all men.

The devil ain't your friend.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 8:10:49 PM
At 6/23/2016 7:58:17 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:
Satan is the most beautiful and attractive of all the angels. Satan is the embodiment of pride.

The devil is on a mission to kill, steal, and destroy. The accuser of the brethren, the deceiver of all men.

I no longer have imaginary friends. You will probably grow out of them too when you pass puberty.
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 2:47:23 AM

Because Christians need a boogey man to scare people into believing their cult, Satan works for Hashem.
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 2:47:45 AM

Yeah it would.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 3:41:33 AM
Story book Peter was a Satan (Matt. 16:23 & Mark 8:33)

&

1 Chronicles 21:1 reads.. And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

There is a parallel passage to this, another account of the same incident recorded in 2 Samuel 24:1

This reads "And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah". So that the satan that provoked Israel in 1 Chronicles is called the LORD in 2 Samuel.

There are also bibles that make NO mention of the term Satan. (YLT & E.D)

The entire notion of naughty supernatural spirit-angels in the bible is a lie!
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 5:08:26 AM

You must have missed the Bible. I could copy and paste the whole book if you would like.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 5:16:47 AM

At 6/24/2016 5:08:26 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
You must have missed the Bible. I could copy and paste the whole book if you would like.

Ok! then start by Copying & Pasting from the Young's Literal Translation/YLT, the pertinent text proving your alleged naughty supernatural Satan being?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 5:31:36 AM
At 6/24/2016 5:16:47 AM, Composer wrote:

At 6/24/2016 5:08:26 AM, brontoraptor wrote:

Ok! then start by Copying & Pasting from the Young's Literal Translation/YLT, the pertinent text proving your alleged naughty supernatural Satan being?

Here ya go. You can take it from there.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 5:32:03 AM
Verses about Satan-

http://bible.knowing-jesus.com...

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org...

http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com...

I'll give you a mild obverview.

1)Murderer
2)Deceiver
3)Liar
4)Condemner
5)Hypocrite
6)Selfish
7)Self righteous
8)Killer of God's children
9)Haughty
10)No love in him

Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 5:45:14 AM
At 6/24/2016 5:32:03 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
Verses about Satan-

1)Murderer
2)Deceiver
3)Liar
4)Condemner
5)Hypocrite
6)Selfish
7)Self righteous
9)Haughty
10)No love in him

I asked for YLT passages and you provided NONE!

You have also given general terms but provided NO proofs they specifically pertain to a naughty Supernatural angelic spirit-being!
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 9:11:55 AM
People make things up about Satan, yet the evil attributed to god is there in the Bible for all to see!
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 9:24:30 AM

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com.au...

The body count stands at:

God = 2,476,633 *
Satan = 10

That would make Satan more moral than God.

* does not include the victims of Noah's flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, or the many plagues, famines, fiery serpents, etc., with which the good book is filled.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 9:29:30 AM
At 6/24/2016 9:24:30 AM, dee-em wrote:

http://dwindlinginunbelief.blogspot.com.au...

The body count stands at:

God = 2,476,633 *
Satan = 10

That would make Satan more moral than God.

* does not include the victims of Noah's flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, or the many plagues, famines, fiery serpents, etc., with which the good book is filled.

No human or entity could be more immoral than god!
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 2:16:07 PM
At 6/24/2016 5:45:14 AM, Composer wrote:
At 6/24/2016 5:32:03 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
Verses about Satan-

1)Murderer
2)Deceiver
3)Liar
4)Condemner
5)Hypocrite
6)Selfish
7)Self righteous
9)Haughty
10)No love in him

I asked for YLT passages and you provided NONE!

You have also given general terms but provided NO proofs they specifically pertain to a naughty Supernatural angelic spirit-being!

Interesting. The google generation is too sloth to even look something up.

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 2:16:32 PM
John 8:44
"You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Revelation 12:9
And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

2 Thessalonians 2:9-10
that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved.

Matthew 13:19
"When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is the one on whom seed was sown beside the road.

John 17:15
"I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one.

2 Thessalonians 3:3
But the Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one.

2 Timothy 2:26
and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.

2 Corinthians 2:10-11
But one whom you forgive anything, I forgive also; for indeed what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, I did it for your sakes in the presence of Christ, so that no advantage would be taken of us by Satan, for we are not ignorant of his schemes.

transgression.

Daniel 8:25
"And through his shrewdness He will cause deceit to succeed by his influence; And he will magnify himself in his heart, And he will destroy many while they are at ease. He will even oppose the Prince of princes, But he will be broken without human agency.

2 Corinthians 4:4
in whose case the god of this world, Satan, has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 2:21:22 PM
Why is Satan supposed to be so bad?
The great book of fables and myths claims such.
S/He doesn't actually exist.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 2:52:02 AM
At 6/24/2016 2:16:32 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
John 8:44
"You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Revelation 12:9
And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

2 Thessalonians 2:9-10
that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved.

Matthew 13:19
"When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is the one on whom seed was sown beside the road.

John 17:15
"I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one.

2 Thessalonians 3:3
But the Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one.

2 Timothy 2:26
and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.

2 Corinthians 2:10-11
But one whom you forgive anything, I forgive also; for indeed what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, I did it for your sakes in the presence of Christ, so that no advantage would be taken of us by Satan, for we are not ignorant of his schemes.

transgression.

Daniel 8:25
"And through his shrewdness He will cause deceit to succeed by his influence; And he will magnify himself in his heart, And he will destroy many while they are at ease. He will even oppose the Prince of princes, But he will be broken without human agency.

2 Corinthians 4:4
in whose case the god of this world, Satan, has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

You have failed to prove any of these quotes refers to a literal Supernatural fallen Spirit being?
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 4:44:00 AM
At 6/24/2016 2:47:45 AM, harrytruman wrote:

Yeah it would.
He is Jewish though and that does.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 8:19:13 AM

Satan and God are mythical characters which personify opposite aspects of human nature.
Satan personifies the negative aspects ( darkness, ignorance, evil ) and God personifies the good aspects ( light, wisdom, goodness ) .
However, both sides, the good and evil are aspects of the same character. Good and evil in the bible stories are merely opposite aspects of the God who is perceived by some readers as good and by others as evil.

The character God himself admits to creating all evil and darkness. If you need the scripture references I will be happy to provide them.
Therefore the Father and creator of all evil is God himself not any character called Satan. God is a Satan ( adversary) as well as a God ( advocate).

The two characters merely represent the inner conflict between good and evil in the hearts and minds of humans.
The bad side of human personality can only be overcome by the good side of human personality. Darkness can only be overcome by light. Ignorance can only be overcome by knowledge. Foolishness can only be overcome by wisdom.
That is the simple theme which runs through the whole bible if you can manage to read between the lines and see deeper than what's on the surface.

Mankind is his own worst enemy and can only overcome that enemy (himself) by overcoming his foolishness with his wisdom but he will never be wise till he faces his own stupidity and admits to being a fool.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 8:29:35 AM
At 6/23/2016 7:58:17 PM, SpiritandTruth wrote:

The bible teaches that you ought to love your enemy. If the devil is your enemy you need to love him and understand that he cannot do anything that God does not allow. Since God allows evil to continue, God condones evil.

When people deceive themselves they are the deceivers of themselves. That makes them self deceived and they are their own worst enemy.
No one but you can cause you to be self deceived.
tarantula
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 12:46:39 PM
At 6/25/2016 8:19:13 AM, Skyangel wrote:

Satan and God are mythical characters which personify opposite aspects of human nature.
Satan personifies the negative aspects ( darkness, ignorance, evil ) and God personifies the good aspects ( light, wisdom, goodness ) .
However, both sides, the good and evil are aspects of the same character. Good and evil in the bible stories are merely opposite aspects of the God who is perceived by some readers as good and by others as evil.

The character God himself admits to creating all evil and darkness. If you need the scripture references I will be happy to provide them.
Therefore the Father and creator of all evil is God himself not any character called Satan. God is a Satan ( adversary) as well as a God ( advocate).

The two characters merely represent the inner conflict between good and evil in the hearts and minds of humans.
The bad side of human personality can only be overcome by the good side of human personality. Darkness can only be overcome by light. Ignorance can only be overcome by knowledge. Foolishness can only be overcome by wisdom.
That is the simple theme which runs through the whole bible if you can manage to read between the lines and see deeper than what's on the surface.

Mankind is his own worst enemy and can only overcome that enemy (himself) by overcoming his foolishness with his wisdom but he will never be wise till he faces his own stupidity and admits to being a fool.

I agree.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 11:05:41 PM
At 6/25/2016 12:46:39 PM, tarantula wrote:
At 6/25/2016 8:19:13 AM, Skyangel wrote:

I agree.

If more adults understood the concept, I think we might have less immature adults in this world.