Jump to topic:

Why do gods need love?

Jack_Dead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 3:41:24 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
God is omnipotent, omnipresence and benevolent.

We humans are social creatures, hence we develop love/caring to boost our ability to survive as a species. (just like many social creatures: dolphin,monkeys ..etc)

God is all powerful, what do he need love for ?
(sorry if im asking an obvious question, i am just too curious)
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 3:55:43 PM
At 6/23/2016 3:41:24 PM, Jack_Dead wrote:

We humans are social creatures, hence we develop love/caring to boost our ability to survive as a species. (just like many social creatures: dolphin,monkeys ..etc)

Curious would entail you being intelligent enough to realize that the only "person" who can tell you why they do or do not, need something would be the "person" or being themselves. So maybe you should take logic 101. Only a mind can state what it "needs" and no other mind can know what that mind needs. If you think this is where God is going to tell you any of its needs, assuming a God needs in the way you conceive of what need entails, then you apparently have failed a basic understanding of how questions and answers to them work. Ask God dummy. Though I've heard he's up on the new qwerty mind reading application so you never know, you might actually get an answer.
POPOO5560
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 4:39:26 PM

God doesnt need us we need him
Never fart near dog
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 9:21:45 PM

Why do you think god is benevolent? Would a benevolent diety create spider wasps who inject their victims with their eggs, which then after hatching procede to slowly eat the spider alive?

dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 11:13:11 PM

Very good post, Jack. There is an evolutionary basis for the development of love and affection (and other social traits). We show it most towards our nearest kin with whom we either share a high percentage of DNA or have a mutual dependence on for survival.

God, not having an evolutionary origin, cannot be expected to exhibit any of the human emotions and behaviours which we take for granted. To assume that he does, presuming he exists, is no more than projection and wishful thinking.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2016 11:19:21 PM
At 6/23/2016 4:39:26 PM, POPOO5560 wrote:

God doesnt need us we need him

So God does not love?

I personally have no need for an all powerful Big Brother figure who monitors the thoughts and actions of every person on the planet 24/7. In fact, I find the notion quite distasteful.
Jack_Dead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 4:08:56 AM
I see, allow me to summarize some interesting theories in this thread

1) Only God knows why God needs love (@skipsaweirdo)
God is a powerful being, his love craving intentions may not be the same way we crave for love. God's reasons may be too complicated for us to understand, therefore, no humans can truly interpretate God's reasons for our love.
In that case, doesn't that mean All people who claim "God needs our loves" are fraud ?
(Since no one should be able to confirm the true reason why God needs luv)
(sorry, i really dont mean any hostility towards believers)

2) We need God's love, So we pretend God needs our love
(again, i rly dont mean to offend anyone, but i have to ask the questions in my head)
Humans are weak creatures, we often face mysteries / difficulties, therefore having an All powerful God by our side can help us face those hard times.
(e.g. ancient people often use Gods to explain natural phenomenon as we can't explain those phenomenon yet e.g. Chinese has thunder god - Lei Gong to explain thunder)
Therefore, we are dependent on God, but since God is omnipotent, he dont depend on us! So we created God cravings for our love, so as to justify God's actions.
(perhaps even trying to make our relationship with God mutual ?)
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 8:11:20 AM
At 6/24/2016 5:23:20 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 6/24/2016 2:42:50 AM, harrytruman wrote:
Love isn't there to increase our chances of survival.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Do you have an alternative hypothesis?

Don't need to, it's ridiculous what you claim, and I can prove it.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 8:28:25 AM
At 6/24/2016 8:11:20 AM, harrytruman wrote:
At 6/24/2016 5:23:20 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 6/24/2016 2:42:50 AM, harrytruman wrote:
Love isn't there to increase our chances of survival.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

Do you have an alternative hypothesis?

Don't need to, it's ridiculous what you claim, and I can prove it.

The claim comes from exploration by such biological sciences as evolutionary psychology, evolutionary biology, anthropology and neuroscience as the article states. If you don't have an alternative hypothesis to explain the basis of love then you are in no position to criticize professionals who have scientifically investigated the subject.

However, we would all be amused to see your 'proof' which debunks the biological basis for love. Let's focus on romantic love. Please go ahead and demonstrate how this confers absolutely no evolutionary advantage to homo sapiens, or that it is actually detrimental to species survival. The floor is yours.
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 7:09:33 PM
The claim comes from exploration by such biological sciences as evolutionary psychology, evolutionary biology, anthropology and neuroscience as the article states. If you don't have an alternative hypothesis to explain the basis of love then you are in no position to criticize professionals who have scientifically investigated the subject.

However, we would all be amused to see your 'proof' which debunks the biological basis for love. Let's focus on romantic love. Please go ahead and demonstrate how this confers absolutely no evolutionary advantage to homo sapiens, or that it is actually detrimental to species survival. The floor is yours.

Simple: worrying about other peoples survival more than your own does nor increase your chances of survival, it does that for others.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 7:28:23 PM

I'm not sure why God's need love.
I do however know they need cash.
So if you would all be so kind and place a coin or two in this here dish that will be passed around
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 1:41:15 AM
At 6/24/2016 7:09:33 PM, harrytruman wrote:

Simple: worrying about other peoples survival more than your own does nor increase your chances of survival, it does that for others.

So you define romantic love as "worrying about other peoples survival more than your own"? Interesting. How about we consult a dictionary:

love
noun
1. a strong feeling of affection.
"babies fill parents with intense feelings of love"
synonyms: deep affection, fondness, tenderness, warmth, intimacy, attachment, endearment; More
2. a great interest and pleasure in something.
"his love for football"
synonyms: liking, weakness, partiality, bent, leaning, proclivity, inclination, disposition;
verb
1. feel deep affection or sexual love for (someone).
"do you love me?"
synonyms: be in love with, be infatuated with, be smitten with, be besotted with, be passionate about;

Nope, I don't see your interpretation there. Perhaps you are confusing love with altruism? I could argue the evolutionary origins of altruism too but first we need to clear up that your understanding of love is faulty. Agreed?
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 2:41:55 AM

God is love.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 3:25:40 AM

He doesn't
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
Jack_Dead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 3:43:16 AM
@lotsoffun
If god is an entity of love, doesn't that mean he is actually taking back his love when he asked us to love him ?
(since our love comes from God, God now wants the return of love?)
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 4:31:47 AM
At 6/25/2016 2:41:55 AM, lotsoffun wrote:

God is love.
There has never been more loving genocides than god's genocides.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 8:41:20 AM

So is Mother Nature.

He doesn't need it any more than Mother Nature needs it. No scripture implies that God needs love. Scripture teaches that God IS Love, not God needs love.
Do you think Love needs Love?

Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 8:50:20 AM
At 6/25/2016 4:31:47 AM, bulproof wrote:
At 6/25/2016 2:41:55 AM, lotsoffun wrote:

God is love.
There has never been more loving genocides than god's genocides.

Don't be stupid Bully.
"God IS love." does not interpret as "An invisible character has the qualities of love"
If you read "Mother Nature IS Nature", do you interpret that as some invisible character has the qualities of nature?
If you read "The Grim Reaper is Death" do you interpret that as some invisible character has the qualities or powers of death and is going to kill you one day?

When I read a character IS ...."X"....... I interpret that as the mythical character represents "X" not as the character has the qualities of "X".
Jack_Dead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:02:12 AM
There are many people saying that God is love,
In other words God dont need love or any other kind of affection.

Then why do I always have to sing hymns and praise the lord ?
Could it be possible that God dont need love, he needs glory ?!

(wow this took a darker turn then i had thought @@)
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:12:58 AM
At 6/25/2016 9:02:12 AM, Jack_Dead wrote:
There are many people saying that God is love,
In other words God dont need love or any other kind of affection.

Then why do I always have to sing hymns and praise the lord ?

According to 1 Cor 14, all things should be done for the purpose of edification, whether it's to edify yourself or others.

Could it be possible that God dont need love, he needs glory ?!

God needs nothing any more than the Grim Reaper needs anything.

(wow this took a darker turn then i had thought @@)

Nothing dark about facing the reality of a mythical character representing some human attitude or force of nature. It is part of achieving maturity.
Jack_Dead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 9:22:21 AM
Thanks for clearing my doubts! @Skyangel

Does that mean we praise the lord for our own sake?
then we better stop all those hypocrites "~ For the lord~ For the lord~ For the lord~"
While in reality it is "~For ourselves ~For ourselves ~For ourselves" XD

(P.S. education is not equal to edification to lord - in case some misunderstands.
Education profits the society (more stable,help High value-added industries..)
While praising the lord, profits ourselves ? since God need no praise)
lightseeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 5:53:10 PM

God doesn't have any emotions. God doesn't feel anger, happiness, love, hate, ...

these are emotions that God gave us because we need them.

and since we believe that we're like mirrors that can reflect attributes (names) of God, i think, when we say God likes us to do this and that, it means that those deeds will make us become more Godlike. though by that i don't mean that we're gonna become like God in essence, but in a sense that we can absorb names of God (beauty, power, kindness, knowledge, greatness, guide, helper, feeder, ... ) and become more like him.

also, there is God. God can not be separate. because if something is omnipresent, how can be two of those? it's a little tricky to understand, but imagine an endless and infinite thing. by endless I mean it's everywhere, in everything, engulfs everything, ... if there is such a being, having two of these which are separate in this world is impossible.
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 6:22:50 PM

Response: God doesn't need love. God is loving and we need God's love.
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 7:19:57 PM
At 6/25/2016 6:22:50 PM, Fatihah wrote:

Response: God doesn't need love. God is loving and we need God's love.

They are no gods. If there were they would ensure that 6 year old children are not sexually molested.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 11:34:12 PM
At 6/25/2016 5:09:11 PM, harrytruman wrote:
Love doesn't increase your chances of survival, if this were evolutionary we would be more selfish.

Thank you for that opinion based on nothing but incredulity, Harry. Now, your "proof" which you promised is arriving in this thread when exactly?
missmedic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 12:44:37 AM

With out love and worship gods stop existing, just look at the thousands of god that have become myths.