Jump to topic:

Reality is a solipsism

bamiller43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 1:51:33 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
For just a moment, assume that God exists. He has been described many times as being omnipresent, or everywhere at once. But according to the laws of physics, two things cannot exist in the same given space. Thus, God is not simply everywhere. If he exists, he is also everything. Which means that this entire universe would be a solipsism.

So then i ask, if God is in all things and IS all things, whence cometh evil?
Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 2:07:31 PM
At 6/24/2016 1:51:33 PM, bamiller43 wrote:
For just a moment, assume that God exists. He has been described many times as being omnipresent, or everywhere at once. But according to the laws of physics, two things cannot exist in the same given space. Thus, God is not simply everywhere. If he exists, he is also everything. Which means that this entire universe would be a solipsism.

If God exists as described, then the laws of physics are arbitrary.

And I don't think you really intending to refer to "solipsism", here. Solipsism is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure; the external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist outside of the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist.
(https://en.wikipedia.org...)

In this case, who determines what is evil, then, anyway?
bamiller43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 2:14:20 PM
At 6/24/2016 2:07:31 PM, Chaosism wrote:

And I don't think you really intending to refer to "solipsism", here. Solipsism is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure; the external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist outside of the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist.

What would be a better word to describe what i am looking for?

Chaosism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 2:30:33 PM
At 6/24/2016 2:14:20 PM, bamiller43 wrote:

I'm not entirely sure of what you're conceptualizing, but perhaps one of the following:

Idealism (Philosophical)
In philosophy, idealism is the group of philosophies which assert that reality, or reality as we can know it, is fundamentally mental, mentally constructed, or otherwise immaterial. Epistemologically, idealism manifests as a skepticism about the possibility of knowing any mind-independent thing. In a sociological sense, idealism emphasizes how human ideas - especially beliefs and values - shape society. As an ontological doctrine, idealism goes further, asserting that all entities are composed of mind or spirit. Idealism thus rejects physicalist and dualist theories that fail to ascribe priority to the mind.
https://en.wikipedia.org...

Pantheism
Pantheism is the belief that all of reality is identical with divinity, or that everything composes an all-encompassing, immanent god. Pantheists thus do not believe in a distinct personal or anthropomorphic god.

Panentheism
Panentheism (meaning "all-in-God") is the belief that the divine interpenetrates every part of the universe and extends, timelessly (and, presumably, spacelessly) beyond it. Unlike pantheism, which holds that the divine and the universe are identical, panentheism maintains a distinction between the divine and non-divine and the significance of both.
difference
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 2:53:52 PM
At 6/24/2016 2:14:20 PM, bamiller43 wrote:

Advaita Vedanta is also similar.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 11:00:10 PM
I'm sypathetic to the idea that God is a Solipsistic entity, and our individuality is an illusion or "emergent" but fundamentally we are all the same mind at bottom. And in my view God is morally indifferent and not morally perfect. Thus, the problem of evil doesn't apply to the God I believe in.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2016 11:30:34 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...
A possible view to adopt into your reasoning.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 1:35:36 PM

He created the laws of physics. I know. Free will is hard to grasp.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 1:38:06 PM
At 6/24/2016 11:00:10 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I'm sypathetic to the idea that God is a Solipsistic entity, and our individuality is an illusion or "emergent" but fundamentally we are all the same mind at bottom. And in my view God is morally indifferent and not morally perfect. Thus, the problem of evil doesn't apply to the God I believe in.

Define "moral". In Saudi Arabia they derm it moral to hang homosexuals in the street, stone accused adulterers, and behead breakers of Sharia.

Is it morally perfect to not give people the option to choose?
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 1:45:36 PM
At 6/25/2016 1:35:36 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
He created the laws of physics. I know
How funny is that?
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 1:48:53 PM
At 6/25/2016 1:38:06 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Define "moral". In Saudi Arabia they derm it moral to hang homosexuals in the street, stone accused adulterers, and behead breakers of Sharia.
That would seem to mirror the biblical responses. Are you a christian who believes in the bible?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 1:55:25 PM
At 6/25/2016 1:48:53 PM, bulproof wrote:
That would seem to mirror the biblical responses. Are you a christian who believes in the bible?

It would make it so much easier if our infallable leader had not existed eh? Then you could cling to the Jewish religion as your justification for unbelief, but aaah... a Jewish man faced it and changed history forever...

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 2:05:33 PM
Acts 17:30

30"And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31"Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2016 2:29:04 PM
At 6/24/2016 11:00:10 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

You just did define "moral" in Saudi Arabia, but the morality is based on religious dogma, which is why we never base any morals on any religious dogma, including yours.

Is it morally perfect to not give people the option to choose?

There's no such thing as morally perfect.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 4:18:55 AM
At 6/25/2016 2:05:33 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
Acts 17:30

30"And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31"Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

i enjoy the story of jesus, because it is so absurd. an all knowing god came up with some rules, then your god had to sacrifice jesus in order to make a loop hole to get around the rules that your god created to begin with. to make it worse, the way to use this loop hole is to be gullible enough to believe things that was written in a book.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 4:28:43 AM
At 6/25/2016 1:55:25 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

It would make it so much easier if our infallable leader had not existed eh? Then you could cling to the Jewish religion as your justification for unbelief, but aaah... a Jewish man faced it and changed history forever...
I have neither god nor religion and your jewish fables are as meaningful as mother goose.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 8:17:24 PM
At 6/26/2016 4:28:43 AM, bulproof wrote:

I have neither god nor religion and your jewish fables are as meaningful as mother goose.

Jesus rejected the "Jewish fables". Now what...

bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 10:39:49 PM
At 6/27/2016 8:17:24 PM, brontoraptor wrote:
At 6/26/2016 4:28:43 AM, bulproof wrote:

Jesus rejected the "Jewish fables". Now what...
I don't know where you go from here, apparently Jesus and I are on the same page.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 11:38:28 PM
according to the laws of physics, two things cannot exist in the same given space.

Please cite the specific law of physics predicting this, who proposed it and when, the methods by which it was tested, what 'things' it was tested on, and any untested assumptions made.