Why do Christians ignore this verse?

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 6:39:29 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Jesus makes this statement.

"Sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me". Luke 18:18-22

Considering you believe that this life is merely a trial for what awaits you after death, why don't you sell everything you have and give it to the poor?

Why risk your prospects of getting into heaven by defying the words of Jesus and keeping everything for yourself? Is it not a bit of a risk?
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 9:20:05 PM
At 6/26/2016 6:39:29 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

"Sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me". Luke 18:18-22

Considering you believe that this life is merely a trial for what awaits you after death, why don't you sell everything you have and give it to the poor?

The problem is, Jesus is not on earth at the moment, so it can"t really be done literally.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 9:25:45 PM
At 6/26/2016 9:20:05 PM, 12_13 wrote:

The problem is, Jesus is not on earth at the moment, so it can"t really be done literally.

Can't you follow his guidance? He is telling you to have faith, do as he says and follow his commands and you will be rewarded.
lotsoffun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 10:09:43 PM

Why risk your prospects of getting into heaven by defying the words of Jesus and keeping everything for yourself? Is it not a bit of a risk?

What he was saying is that the real treasure is in Heave. What is heaven is debatable, but no one really knows .I,m not a practicing Christian, by the way.
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 11:14:48 PM

Why are Atheist's so stupid? Jesus was talking to and about one particular man with that instruction. Also, Christians are far more generous with the poor than the rest of the population. And, speaking of risk, why do you take the risk of eternal judgement by rejecting Christ? (cue your stupid Atheist excuses)
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 2:31:15 AM

Believers only take things literally in the bible and apply it to themselves if they like the ideas and want to obey the concepts. If they don't, they claim the commands were only to the particular person or people in the story and don't apply to anyone on Earth today or they interpret it metaphorically. They simply cherry pick the bits they can use to benefit themselves and make excuses about the rest being irrelevant to them.
shnarkle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:09:22 AM

This life may have trials, but it really isn't a trial itself. I'm also not one of those people who thinks that what we do now is in hopes of passing a trial after death either. There are plenty of people who have done just what Jesus said to do. They've literally sold what they had, and gave it to the poor. It's called walking in faith. Some would say that it's a way to walk right into eternity itself. Don't knock it till you try it. There is really no description possible, but let me give some analogies. It's like coming upon a dam and noticing that there is this tranquil setting above the dam that seems so nice and pleasant, but there's all of this dry parched earth below it so you poke a few holes in the dam and the water begins to trickle out slowly taking little bits of the dam with it until it just completely gives way to a rushing torrent of water that even sweeps you up along with it. At this point you're just along for the ride. You may have forgotten that tranquil setting, but now you're shooting rapids without even thinking about it. The water has become an adventure that you can't even really describe, but all along its flow life is prospering and growing faster than you can even comprehend or quantify.

Why risk your prospects of getting into heaven by defying the words of Jesus and keeping everything for yourself?

It isn't really about getting into heaven either. It's more about getting rid of all the junk that's cluttering up your life. I'm not talking about all the stuff that really means something to you. There's no point in trying to give up that stuff because you'll just miss it. I'm talking about all the stuff that you know deep down inside you is just stuff you have to work on like those flabby abdominal muscles, the chopper rusting away in the back of the garage, the sailboat with torn sails and a litter of wolves yelping in the bilge, all of those clothes that you think you might be able to wear when you lose 50 lbs. or maybe when they come back into style someday, the Magnavox tv with the missing remote collecting dust in the empty bedroom, the stamp or baseball collector card collection that you think might be worth something someday etc. Then it snowballs and you realize that your favorite DVD collection isn't really all that important to you after all so you toss that, and then one day you're walking away from your home for the last time because for some reason it just doesn't feel like home to you because you've found your real home isn't in some box among a bunch of other boxes anymore. You can't even figure out how you were able to live in that cramped little stuffy shoe box for so long, and not just living there, but paying for the privilege. Paying for repairs, taxes, bills, maintenance etc. The crazy thing is that the more you give away the faster that river flows, and the faster that river flows the more money you get to pour into the river. It's like you just can't get rid of it fast enough, and while this is all going on you don't even notice that the flab you wanted to get rid of is gone, and not you've got rock hard abs without the expensive gym membership or the "ab roller", the "extra" 50 lbs. has gone missing as well. The medical bills, the prescriptions, the bad dental work etc. is all gone. People don't recognize you because you're literally a "new person". This is all just priming the pump for eternity...
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:21:55 AM

Is the above passage directed toward one person in particular, or is it an edict for every believer for all time?
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:35:33 AM
At 6/26/2016 11:14:48 PM, Rukado wrote:

Why are Atheist's so stupid? Jesus was talking to and about one particular man with that instruction. Also, Christians are far more generous with the poor than the rest of the population. And, speaking of risk, why do you take the risk of eternal judgement by rejecting Christ? (cue your stupid Atheist excuses)

how do you determine what advice to follow, and what advice to ignore?
or do you ignore all of it, because jesus wasn't talking to you?
illegalcombat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 7:33:06 AM

Allow me to put my christian hat on.............

Well you see................YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT IN CONTEXT

Context = I get to keep most of my wealth you commie f*cker.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 8:51:53 AM

No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it says what he means.
[G.B Shaw]
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Willows
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 9:29:21 AM

Have you any evidence that backs up your claim of Christians being far more generous with the poor?
A very notable example that contradicts your claim is Mother Teresa. She was long criticised for funelling huge amounts of donated money, not to feed or clothe the poor but to expand the Catholic Church's tentacles by setting up (Catholic) hospices and (Catholic) schools. In her defence she claimed that it was much better to be humble and poor. Lovely person wasn't she?
Christian organisations have an extremely abysmal history of taking from the poor to feather their own nests.
I am therefore curious as to how you arrived at such a conclusion.
ethang5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 5:36:14 PM
At 6/27/2016 4:21:55 AM, annanicole wrote:

Is the above passage directed toward one person in particular, or is it an edict for every believer for all time?

Don't bother Anna,

clown8 doesn't do debate. If it's written in the Bible, it is a direct command of God to every believer. That way he gets to make ludicrous posts like this. Wheeee!

And how about the people who ask oh so sincerely, "How do you know when it's directed to all and when it's only to a specific person or persons?

I wonder if they have a hard time telling this in real life when addressed by their boss or parent? You can't tell? Really? When Jesus says to His disciples, "Bring (the madman) to me", do they really think Christians are to go seek out madman and bring them to Jesus? Really??

Well, ok, clown8 and Deb-8-A-fool might think so, but does any rational atheist think so? They understand the great works of literature fine, but become instant idiots when it comes to the Bible. Why?
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 6:06:53 PM

Those that ignore the principle on which that piece of hyperbole is based, the principle of sharing, are not truly Christian, simple as.

Jesus often used hyperbole in his teaching, but he does later repeat the same principle in a less hyperbolic way at Luke 3:11 In reply he said to them: "Let the man who has two garments share with the man who has none, and let the one who has something to eat do the same."

However, as you rightly point out, many who claim to be Christian ignore that principle and live in a very much "me first" fashion.

Unfortunately you always word such questions inaccurately. They should start with "Why do those who claim to be Christian........."
MadCornishBiker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 6:08:56 PM

As with all scripture it is an edict directed to all followers of Christ.

However in this instance it was directed in slightly hyperbolic form to an individual.

The non-hyperbolic version appears at Luke 3:11.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 6:26:25 PM
At 6/27/2016 6:08:56 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

As with all scripture it is an edict directed to all followers of Christ.

Then why don't you run out and build an ark. After all, God told Noah to do it.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 9:26:47 PM

Stumbling blocks. Wealth and material gainwere his stumbling block that kept him from love. In the case of Solomon and David, wealth was not their stumbling blocks. They were asked to give up other things thatactually were their stumbling blocks.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 10:12:06 PM
At 6/27/2016 9:26:47 PM, brontoraptor wrote:

Stumbling blocks. Wealth and material gainwere his stumbling block that kept him from love. In the case of Solomon and David, wealth was not their stumbling blocks. They were asked to give up other things thatactually were their stumbling blocks.

Why don't you follow Jesus and give away everything you have got to the poor? Wouldn't it boost your chances of getting to heaven?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 10:33:38 PM
At 6/27/2016 10:12:06 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Why don't you follow Jesus and give away everything you have got to the poor? Wouldn't it boost your chances of getting to heaven?

Because if all the Christians who are rich sold all their goods and gave the proceeds to the poor, then those poor would be newly rich. And the formerly rich would be poor. Thus the formerly poor (who are now the rich) would have to sell all of the goods and disperse the proceeds right back to the formerly rich (who are now the poor). It would be an endless cycle, with the only long-term winner being the IRS and sales tax people - and my inclination is that they aren't headed to heaven in the first place.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 10:51:57 PM
At 6/27/2016 6:06:53 PM, MadCornishBiker wrote:

Those that ignore the principle on which that piece of hyperbole is based, the principle of sharing, are not truly Christian, simple as.

I agree. People who claim to be Christians and build up vast amounts of material possessions are acting in a way that contradicts the teaching of Jesus.

Jesus often used hyperbole in his teaching, but he does later repeat the same principle in a less hyperbolic way at Luke 3:11 In reply he said to them: "Let the man who has two garments share with the man who has none, and let the one who has something to eat do the same."

However, as you rightly point out, many who claim to be Christian ignore that principle and live in a very much "me first" fashion.

Unfortunately you always word such questions inaccurately. They should start with "Why do those who claim to be Christian........."

In my opinion everyone who identifies as a Christian is a Christian.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 10:58:17 PM

Says the person who has been fooled into thinking Christianity is true. Prove Christians are more generous than non Christians. If Jesus thinks giving away your possessions to the poor is a good thing It is logical for all Christians to do it. Obviously I know Christianity is false so it is not logical for me to worship false Gods. You are the one who thinks it's true. Why not boost your prospects of eternal life in heaven by donating everything you have to the poor? Is it because you are not really that sure Christianity is true?
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 11:03:00 PM
At 6/27/2016 4:09:22 AM, shnarkle wrote:

This life may have trials, but it really isn't a trial itself. I'm also not one of those people who thinks that what we do now is in hopes of passing a trial after death either. There are plenty of people who have done just what Jesus said to do. They've literally sold what they had, and gave it to the poor. It's called walking in faith. Some would say that it's a way to walk right into eternity itself. Don't knock it till you try it. There is really no description possible, but let me give some analogies. It's like coming upon a dam and noticing that there is this tranquil setting above the dam that seems so nice and pleasant, but there's all of this dry parched earth below it so you poke a few holes in the dam and the water begins to trickle out slowly taking little bits of the dam with it until it just completely gives way to a rushing torrent of water that even sweeps you up along with it. At this point you're just along for the ride. You may have forgotten that tranquil setting, but now you're shooting rapids without even thinking about it. The water has become an adventure that you can't even really describe, but all along its flow life is prospering and growing faster than you can even comprehend or quantify.

Why risk your prospects of getting into heaven by defying the words of Jesus and keeping everything for yourself?

It isn't really about getting into heaven either. It's more about getting rid of all the junk that's cluttering up your life. I'm not talking about all the stuff that really means something to you. There's no point in trying to give up that stuff because you'll just miss it. I'm talking about all the stuff that you know deep down inside you is just stuff you have to work on like those flabby abdominal muscles, the chopper rusting away in the back of the garage, the sailboat with torn sails and a litter of wolves yelping in the bilge, all of those clothes that you think you might be able to wear when you lose 50 lbs. or maybe when they come back into style someday, the Magnavox tv with the missing remote collecting dust in the empty bedroom, the stamp or baseball collector card collection that you think might be worth something someday etc. Then it snowballs and you realize that your favorite DVD collection isn't really all that important to you after all so you toss that, and then one day you're walking away from your home for the last time because for some reason it just doesn't feel like home to you because you've found your real home isn't in some box among a bunch of other boxes anymore. You can't even figure out how you were able to live in that cramped little stuffy shoe box for so long, and not just living there, but paying for the privilege. Paying for repairs, taxes, bills, maintenance etc. The crazy thing is that the more you give away the faster that river flows, and the faster that river flows the more money you get to pour into the river. It's like you just can't get rid of it fast enough, and while this is all going on you don't even notice that the flab you wanted to get rid of is gone, and not you've got rock hard abs without the expensive gym membership or the "ab roller", the "extra" 50 lbs. has gone missing as well. The medical bills, the prescriptions, the bad dental work etc. is all gone. People don't recognize you because you're literally a "new person". This is all just priming the pump for eternity...

You ramble on about nothing of any relevance. If Christianity was true obviously this short life is merely a trial. There is a considerable difference between eternity in paradise and eternal torture. The thing is Christians are not really sure if their religion is true. That's why they often ignore the teaching of their holy book.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 11:09:56 PM

It's said to one person. However the inclusion of this alleged event in the bible suggests that the message Jesus delivers is something that is of relevance to all Christians. If Jesus did not want anyone else to give what they have to the poor then this passage would not be in the bible. He wanted people to follow this verse. Obviously giving to the poor is encouraged and building up vast amounts of material wealth is discouraged. Even if you don't interpret the verse literally it surely has meaning and relevance.

Why risk your chances of getting to heaven? Would it not be logical to follow the teaching of Jesus in every way possible?
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 11:19:49 PM
At 6/27/2016 10:33:38 PM, annanicole wrote:

Because if all the Christians who are rich sold all their goods and gave the proceeds to the poor, then those poor would be newly rich. And the formerly rich would be poor. Thus the formerly poor (who are now the rich) would have to sell all of the goods and disperse the proceeds right back to the formerly rich (who are now the poor). It would be an endless cycle, with the only long-term winner being the IRS and sales tax people - and my inclination is that they aren't headed to heaven in the first place.

Exactly the teachings of Jesus are in practice entirely illogical. They don't work. However it could be argued that if you shared out your possessions between numerous poor people they would still be poor. They could also be non Christians or Christians who fail to follow all of the teachings of Jesus as in this hypothetical scenario you are trying to do. Therefore if you as an individual chose to interpret this verse literally you would increase your chances of getting to heaven if Christianity was true. It would only be if all Christians behaved in this manner that the scenario above where wealth is passed back and forward could occur.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 1:48:06 AM
At 6/27/2016 11:09:56 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

It's said to one person. However the inclusion of this alleged event in the bible suggests that the message Jesus delivers is something that is of relevance to all Christians.

It is .... if they are all in the same boat as the fella to whom the original statement was directed.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 1:49:16 AM
At 6/27/2016 11:19:49 PM, Chloe8 wrote:

Exactly the teachings of Jesus are in practice entirely illogical. They don't work. However it could be argued that if you shared out your possessions between numerous poor people they would still be poor.

What I said was, "Because if all the Christians who are rich sold all their goods and gave the proceeds to the poor, then those poor would be newly rich." Obviously Jesus did not intend that this occur.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 3:31:04 AM
At 6/26/2016 9:25:45 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 6/26/2016 9:20:05 PM, 12_13 wrote:

Can't you follow his guidance? He is telling you to have faith, do as he says and follow his commands and you will be rewarded.

No. He was talking to people who were to literally follow him. The ones that did were....apostles.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 4:02:29 AM

Exactly the teachings of Jesus are in practice entirely illogical. They don't work.

More like in this case that when you attempt to take Jesus's instructions to one particular person in one particular situation and try to apply it to everyone, you are wrong. There are Christians today, I'm sure, who would be better off to sell off everything they have and give the proceeds away. There are also Christians (and atheists) who should be neutered, lest they pass on their stupidity.
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 6:26:23 PM
At 6/28/2016 4:02:29 AM, annanicole wrote:

Exactly the teachings of Jesus are in practice entirely illogical. They don't work.

More like in this case that when you attempt to take Jesus's instructions to one particular person in one particular situation and try to apply it to everyone, you are wrong. There are Christians today, I'm sure, who would be better off to sell off everything they have and give the proceeds away. There are also Christians (and atheists) who should be neutered, lest they pass on their stupidity.

Why would it be stupid to follow the teachings of Jesus if you believe Christianity is true? If the message Jesus delivered in this verse has no relevance to how Christians are expected to act why do you think it is included in the bible?

Do you think it would be acceptable to your God for a person to become a billionaire?