Jump to topic:

A god does not have to be limitless

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 9:21:03 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
A god(s) does not have to be a limitless, perfect, omniscient, and/or omnipotent being in order to be a creator and/or sustainer deity. Please don't attack me.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
DanMGTOW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 9:55:49 PM
At 6/26/2016 9:21:03 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
A god(s) does not have to be a limitless, perfect, omniscient, and/or omnipotent being in order to be a creator and/or sustainer deity. Please don't attack me.

correct, there are many gods in human history that are alleged to be creators and/ or sustainers , but doesn't have the other qualities you mentioned.
PointlessSpike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:48:31 PM

True, but if you're talking about limits to God things get awkward. How would we know if there are limits? Maybe God was just simplifying for us lowly humans? How much power does it really take to create a universe anyway? There's so much we don't know about the universe, and even less about what's outside it (or if it makes any sense to ask about "outside" it). We'll just have to try to find out one step at a time, the long, slow way.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 2:07:07 PM

An entity cengaged in construction doesn't have to be a paragon of any sort, or worthy of worship either. it doesn't have to be alive, interested, observing, competent, diligent, self-aware, original, solitary in its efforts, or have any set of values or principles a human might recognise as morality.

So there's really no a priori reason to call a conjectured creator a god.
12_13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 9:00:30 PM

True, you can keep whatever you want as god. I wouldn"t keep any other as my god than Bible God. :)
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 10:59:32 PM
If they work, the classical arguments for God's existence demonstrate that all limited things -- things which merely "participate" in being -- come from a single unlimited being who is Being Itself.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
harrytruman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 2:16:27 AM

Psalm 147:5:
"Our Lord is great, with limitless strength; we'll never comprehend what he knows and does"
KthulhuHimself
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 6:15:36 PM

Not only does he/she not have to be, but it's actually impossible:

1) For something to exist beyond the level of notion, it is necessary for it to be objective, i.e. independent on human (or otherwise) perspective; because if it isn't, then it cannot exist independent on the level of notion, and hence be meaningless beyond that level.

2) By definition, it is necessary for an objective term or concept to be fully and hermetically well-defined (though not necessarily a definition known to us); because by definition, an objective concept or entity is one that is dependent on a timeless means of predication, or in other words definition. It must be well-defined, because if it isn't, then there are no predicated qualities given to the concept, and hence no meaning beyond what a subjective perception will give it.

3) Well ordered definitions can and must be manifested in the form of a well-ordered expression, identical to those used in mathematics nowadays; which come, in every case, in the form of some well-ordered, formal, objective, mathematical language, such as set-theory, etc. Moreover, such definitions must be non-paradoxical, because when a paradox is present, the concept loses any and all objectivity, and hence meaning.

4) To prevent a common paradox, a slightly different form of Russell's paradox; it is necessary for the concept to be completely limited by the language it is defined within; meaning that it cannot predicate over its own predicator.

5) God is commonly defined as an unlimited being (if you define him as limited, this proof is irrelevant).

6) By these necessary standards, i.e. those presented in 1)-4), a limitless God is ill-defined.

7) A limitless God cannot exist objectively.

8) A limitless God cannot exist beyond the level of notion, and hence has no effect beyond psychological.
KthulhuHimself
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 6:16:22 PM
At 6/28/2016 2:16:27 AM, harrytruman wrote:

Psalm 147:5:
"Our Lord is great, with limitless strength; we'll never comprehend what he knows and does"

A bible quote; I can't say I'm not surprised.
KthulhuHimself
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 9:36:06 AM
At 6/30/2016 7:23:14 PM, harrytruman wrote:
He is saying that G-d doesn't have to e limitless, I proved he does.

Well, I proved that he CANNOT be limitless; so if he can't be limited either, he cannot exist at all.