Jump to topic:

Is heavy metal a sin?

NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:12:11 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
You guys are going to laugh, but I'm actually a pretty big Metallica fan. I just wanted to ask a few Christians on this website what they thought of heavy metal music, considering some of the lyrics in the songs.
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 2:32:39 AM
At 6/27/2016 1:12:11 AM, NewLifeChristian wrote:
You guys are going to laugh, but I'm actually a pretty big Metallica fan. I just wanted to ask a few Christians on this website what they thought of heavy metal music, considering some of the lyrics in the songs.

Black Sabbath are the original and best heavy metal band. Many of their songs have pro-Christian lyrics and they all wore crosses, but it never bothered me greatly.
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 2:47:36 AM
At 6/27/2016 2:32:39 AM, dee-em wrote:

Black Sabbath are the original and best heavy metal band. Many of their songs have pro-Christian lyrics and they all wore crosses, but it never bothered me greatly.
I know Black Sabbath practically created metal, but if you ask anyone to think of the first thing that comes to their mind when told the phrase "heavy metal band," they'll say Metallica. Also, if you even Google "best metal band," Metallica comes up as first. I don't know why, but something tells me it was put there for a reason.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 2:58:25 AM
At 6/27/2016 2:47:36 AM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

I know Black Sabbath practically created metal, but if you ask anyone to think of the first thing that comes to their mind when told the phrase "heavy metal band," they'll say Metallica. Also, if you even Google "best metal band," Metallica comes up as first. I don't know why, but something tells me it was put there for a reason.

I've listened to Metallica and, apart from a couple of songs, their music sounds computer generated and soulless (pun intended) compared to early Sabbath. Practically every heavy metal riff ever played owes a nod to Tony Iommi. But each to his own I guess. :-)
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 3:03:20 AM
At 6/27/2016 2:58:25 AM, dee-em wrote:
At 6/27/2016 2:47:36 AM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

I've listened to Metallica and, apart from a couple of songs, their music sounds computer generated and soulless (pun intended) compared to early Sabbath.
Ha ha.
Practically every heavy metal riff ever played owes a nod to Tony Iommi. But each to his own I guess. :-)
Yeah, music isn't a definite like mathematics. Whether a band is the best or not is a matter of opinion.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
janesix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:08:40 AM

Metallica is the best.
Rukado
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 5:34:45 AM

I generally have not found classic heavy metal to have offensive lyrics, at least no more offensive to Christians than pop music. Heavy metal does make more reference to the spiritual, but still no more offensive.
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 8:24:46 PM
At 6/27/2016 4:08:40 AM, janesix wrote:

Metallica is the best.
Preach it.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 8:25:58 PM
At 6/27/2016 5:34:45 AM, Rukado wrote:

I generally have not found classic heavy metal to have offensive lyrics, at least no more offensive to Christians than pop music. Heavy metal does make more reference to the spiritual, but still no more offensive.
Yeah, I'd have to agree. Pop music these days is a lot more inappropriate than classic heavy metal music.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 8:28:38 PM
I think I've come to a conclusion.

Metallica is A-OK for Christians. (At least, most of their songs are.)
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
SpiritandTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 12:11:39 AM
There are those who are scared of heavy metal in the church.

These people evidently never read Isaiah or Jeremiah, because that's some heavy metal right there.
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of the will of God. The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth,
matt8800
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 1:56:53 AM

When you hear the lyrics, does it make you want to commit harmful acts upon other people?

What are you concerned you may do if you listen to it?
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2016 4:36:47 PM
At 6/28/2016 1:56:53 AM, matt8800 wrote:

When you hear the lyrics, does it make you want to commit harmful acts upon other people?
No, I was just wondering if listening to the lyrics (which are sometimes obscene) is a sin.
What are you concerned you may do if you listen to it?
Nothing.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss