Jump to topic:

Has the reverse ever happened?

Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 6:24:25 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Chris Hardwick has a bit about why he isn't religious. He gives the common observation that religions have made innumerable claims for thousands of years, then scientific investigation often disproves those claims that are testable. The punchline, such as it is, is that the reverse has never happened.

So is Hardwick right, or has there ever been a scientific claim that was disproved by religion? I'm honestly curious, especially since I've paraphrased his bit a handful of times in threads but haven't had anyone directly address it.
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 7:26:51 PM
At 6/28/2016 6:24:25 PM, Burzmali wrote:
Chris Hardwick has a bit about why he isn't religious. He gives the common observation that religions have made innumerable claims for thousands of years, then scientific investigation often disproves those claims that are testable. The punchline, such as it is, is that the reverse has never happened.

So is Hardwick right, or has there ever been a scientific claim that was disproved by religion? I'm honestly curious, especially since I've paraphrased his bit a handful of times in threads but haven't had anyone directly address it.
That is a great question and would take a mammoth investigation to come to any conclusion, it's beyond my interest to do such but I wish you luck.
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 12:44:46 AM

I doubt it because I don't think religion is into disproving scientific claims. Religion is about having faith in unproveable things.
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 12:59:58 AM

There is a related question. We have several areas in science, mainly physics, which are actively under investigation at present. Dark matter and dark energy are a couple. If there are people who claim to have a "personal relationship" and communication with God, it should be a simple thing for them to ask and receive some pointer for where scientists should look for answers. Yet no-one can do it. Instead God seems to direct his energies into answering the prayers of sportsmen wanting to win football games. Hmmmm.