Analysis of one of this forums extremists

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:34:01 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
This person will not be named

Just sharing my thoughts on one of the this forums Christian extremist, and why I think they do what they do.

This member is a frequent poster of extreme anti Atheism and anti Islam, he/she posts so frequently, that a considerable portion of the current Religion Forum front page is their topics that they post, they are often appear to be borderline sociopaths.

Explanation?:

This person is often viewed as a troll, yet he/she piles in significantly more effort into making regular posts than any normal troll would, this suggests that trolling isn't the prime motivation for what they do. This person clearly believes to some degree that they are correct (Most likely due to various biases that afflict most of us), although they have admitted that their behavior is troll like, and embrace this. Because of this, I conclude that they believe that they are justified in their troll like behavior, and that the victims this person targets deserves the malice they receive. Because of the belief that they are above everyone else, it could also be predicted that they are very unlikely to be receptive to others viewpoints, have a lack of empathy and are unlikely to change their ways. This is essentially a feedback loop that I believe will only worsen that persons behavior. This appears to be motivated by anger and hatred, so with the feedback loop described, they will become more angry and deranged, becoming more extreme, until the point where their postings become to extreme to be allowed to remain. In the end, I predict that this person will likely get so extreme that they will have to be banned from the site, in the real world, I worry about what this person will become.

Thoughts?

Again, this person isn't being named as I would rather not have a direct attack against them, if you think you know who it is, don't post it, because you're probably wrong.

(Probably a ton of grammatical mistakes, but who cares).
Meh!
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 7:49:46 AM
I think it's either Composer or bulproof, personally
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 8:16:05 AM
At 6/29/2016 6:34:01 AM, Axonly wrote:
Thoughts?
Religious fundamentalism is a political stance as much as a theological one, Ax. It's a militant position, founded in outrage at a secular, pluralist world that has eroded doctrinal tribalism and undermined what is conceived as a better, more traditional approach to life. Among Protestant Christians, it's about a century old and has its roots in American Protestantism and the specific circumstances of American history and civil society. Among Muslims I think it's a different and more complex beast, so although not all Christian fundamentalism here is Protestant, let me confine myself to that, since that's what we see most of.

I think in part it's built on what I'd call a healthy conservative respect for family and community, a healthy concern about globalism and loss of cultural cohesion, about youth identity and role models, about consumerism and the role of media, the marginalisation of society's elders and its loss of local wisdom, about the stability of family, the wellbeing of children, and about rapid social change. Those are all issues anyone could be concerned about, and to criticise religious fundamentalism isn't to criticise those legitimate concerns, nor their importance in human dignity and wellbeing.

Yet what I believe makes religious fundamentalism pathological is a psychological response called 'splitting', or black-and-white thinking. [https://en.wikipedia.org...(psychology)] Splitting is a defense mechanism -- a response to fear or perceived threat. In religious fundamentalists, I think it goes like this:

All the good in society comes from my group's traditions; therefore any bad in society must come from your group's. The only defense against such continued harm is to adhere rigidly and loudly to the doctrines, rites and traditions of my group while maintaining a militant stance against anything your group tries to do. Part of that is loudly declaring the doctrines of my faith unequivocably true, whether or not I actually treat them all as true all the time. There is neither sense nor safety outside my group, and therefore my group must either triumph over all challenge, or else hold its ground until threat passes. Thus the only safe posture for me must be one of permanent belligerence and contempt on whatever pretext I can find.

We see this behaviour in several members, and it's dangerous both intellectually and socially because it's unable to recognise common ground, while at the same time unable to acknowledge ignorance, or accept responsibility for cruelty, injustice or harm done by tradition or belief. Essentially, it's not just a belligerent position but a position that expects, provokes and demands belligerent response from others, and will neither trust nor accept a calm, respectful, considered or compassionate response.

As a personal example I've had several fundamentalist members tell me repeatedly that as an atheist critical of religion I cannot think kindly or respectfully of a member of faith, and that any courtesy or respect offered must be feigned. In other words, unless you're from my group you're inferior, and if you act as good as me or better, then it's too good to be true. Since that thinking has also appeared among racists, slaveowners and anti-semitic Nazis, to my mind it's somewhere on the spectrum between bigotry and genocidal hate.

I don't personally believe there's a constructive answer, Ax. When a member crosses the line from suspicion and resentment to a policy of hate, the hate feeds on itself. A perceived success encourages more, while a perceived failure redoubles efforts. As an object of suspicion, hate and contempt, there is no chance of constructive discussion.

But that doesn't make all such posts worthless. Firstly, people can give up hate whenever they choose just by choosing to do so, and that's as likely here as anywhere (and I suspect I've seen it more than once.) Secondly, this forum is something of a test-tube for thought found elsewhere in society, so what you read here is being said in pulpits or at kitchen-tables where you may not otherwise hear it. Thirdly, while it's terrible for people to hate, I think it's good for compassion to be hated, and to learn to receive hatred with dignity and respect, and not simply with anger, fear or outrage. Fourthly, members can learn from one another's responses and grow thereby. Fifthly, members of the same group may be appalled by extreme behaviour and check it in themselves. And fFinally, it's useful to learn to discern when a member is participating with good will but combatively, and when they have an axe to grind; when a conversation will be productive, and when it's simply feeding another member's malignant fantasy.

Since you haven't named the member, Ax, I don't think prognoses are productive. However, as you know I have no personal compunction in telling a member when I think they're being unconstructive, obnoxious or damaging their own credibility. I'd rather say that here where the member is safe, than have a member find themselves at physical or social risk with strangers, workmates and so on. I don't know that it's helpful to say such things, but it meets a duty of care that I feel I owe to individuals, to the site, and society in general.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 8:37:59 AM
At 6/29/2016 7:49:46 AM, annanicole wrote:

Christian extremist.
dhardage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 2:45:55 PM

Just sharing my thoughts on one of the this forums Christian extremist, and why I think they do what they do.

This member is a frequent poster of extreme anti Atheism and anti Islam, he/she posts so frequently, that a considerable portion of the current Religion Forum front page is their topics that they post, they are often appear to be borderline sociopaths.

Explanation?:

This person is often viewed as a troll, yet he/she piles in significantly more effort into making regular posts than any normal troll would, this suggests that trolling isn't the prime motivation for what they do. This person clearly believes to some degree that they are correct (Most likely due to various biases that afflict most of us), although they have admitted that their behavior is troll like, and embrace this. Because of this, I conclude that they believe that they are justified in their troll like behavior, and that the victims this person targets deserves the malice they receive. Because of the belief that they are above everyone else, it could also be predicted that they are very unlikely to be receptive to others viewpoints, have a lack of empathy and are unlikely to change their ways. This is essentially a feedback loop that I believe will only worsen that persons behavior. This appears to be motivated by anger and hatred, so with the feedback loop described, they will become more angry and deranged, becoming more extreme, until the point where their postings become to extreme to be allowed to remain. In the end, I predict that this person will likely get so extreme that they will have to be banned from the site, in the real world, I worry about what this person will become.

Thoughts?

Again, this person isn't being named as I would rather not have a direct attack against them, if you think you know who it is, don't post it, because you're probably wrong.

(Probably a ton of grammatical mistakes, but who cares)

There are perhaps two or three individuals that fit this description on this form and I'll respect your wish to avoid names. The simple fact is that these individuals are so entrenched in their points of view that anything contradicting it is seen as an actual threat. No amount of reasonable discussion will penetrate the fortress if Invincible Ignorance they have built for themselves.
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 3:09:08 PM
At 6/29/2016 8:37:59 AM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Christian extremist.

I was kidding.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
desmac
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 3:17:05 PM
At 6/29/2016 3:09:08 PM, annanicole wrote:

Christian extremist.

I was kidding.

Is Ax talking about DDO's most spiritual member?
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 3:19:40 PM
At 6/29/2016 3:17:05 PM, desmac wrote:
At 6/29/2016 3:09:08 PM, annanicole wrote:

Christian extremist.

I was kidding.

Is Ax talking about DDO's most spiritual member?

lol ... i don't know who he's talking about
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 1:11:23 PM

Ya got me Annie.
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 2:07:32 PM

Explanation?:

Thoughts?

You already named the person in your debate.

" Brontoraptor, I have noticed in the forums recently you have been spouting lots of Liberal and Islam hate. While spouting such hate speech is immature and just plain cruel, it also weakens your own arguments (Makes you look an insane ranter). As well as this, hate speech can be reported and could unfortunately lead to your posts being deleted or even your account being deleted as well.

So because of these reasons, perhaps it would be best if you just gave up the hate speech? For your own sake, and those around you."
lightseeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 4:11:52 PM

Explanation?:

Thoughts?

there are people with crazy amount of posts without having even one good debate.
those are the trolls.
don't waste your time on them.
if you see someone with a lot of posts, just go check whether they've been in a real debate with a couple of round or not.
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 10:57:58 PM
At 6/30/2016 2:07:32 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Explanation?:

Thoughts?

" Brontoraptor, I have noticed in the forums recently you have been spouting lots of Liberal and Islam hate. While spouting such hate speech is immature and just plain cruel, it also weakens your own arguments (Makes you look an insane ranter). As well as this, hate speech can be reported and could unfortunately lead to your posts being deleted or even your account being deleted as well.

So because of these reasons, perhaps it would be best if you just gave up the hate speech? For your own sake, and those around you."

As I said, it's not the person you think it is. It would be nice if you could respect the decision not to have the person named, incorrectly naming them as you have done disrespect this wish entirely
Meh!
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2016 11:31:59 PM
At 6/30/2016 10:57:58 PM, Axonly wrote:

Explanation?:

Thoughts?

As I said, it's not the person you think it is. It would be nice if you could respect the decision not to have the person named, incorrectly naming them as you have done disrespect this wish entirely

It is posted in his profile you retard. You can't even read properly. I wrote: "You already named the person in your debate."
Too lazy to open his profile and check.
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 1:07:38 AM

Explanation?:

Thoughts?

It's the art of the deal...
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 1:11:21 AM

Could you give us an example of this "hate speech"?
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 1:17:02 AM

Explanation?:

Thoughts?

I think it's brontoraptor.
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:15:01 AM
So here is what we know. Axonly is okay with lying. Because? He said it wasn't bronto. It is bronto. Look on Axonly's profile of debates. So...Axonly is claiming moral highground on bronto while being immoral on this very thread! (Bronto scampers off into the weeds)

brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 3:20:34 AM
At 6/30/2016 11:31:59 PM, Harikrish wrote:

Explanation?:

Thoughts?

It is posted in his profile you retard. You can't even read properly. I wrote: "You already named the person in your debate."

By God...I think Hari is right! Axonly is a bronto bigot. And I'm a minority, thus, he is a racist as well. This libtard message is brought to you by AT&T. Back to your program...

Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:18:10 AM

Explanation?:

Thoughts?

I can tell you right now it's not him. I chose this particular person because there are many he/she could be.
Meh!
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:19:10 AM
At 7/1/2016 1:11:21 AM, annanicole wrote:

I can't exactly, since that would be a dead giveaway. It's a shame, but I would rather not expose them
Meh!
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:20:42 AM
At 7/1/2016 3:15:01 AM, brontoraptor wrote:
So here is what we know. Axonly is okay with lying. Because? He said it wasn't bronto. It is bronto. Look on Axonly's profile of debates. So...Axonly is claiming moral highground on bronto while being immoral on this very thread! (Bronto scampers off into the weeds)

No, it is not you. I suspected people would think it's you. You're loud, but harmless, this person is different.
Meh!
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:21:59 AM
At 7/1/2016 6:19:10 AM, Axonly wrote:
At 7/1/2016 1:11:21 AM, annanicole wrote:

I can't exactly, since that would be a dead giveaway. It's a shame, but I would rather not expose them.

Well, did the person say, "All Muslims should be killed?" or "All Muslims should be tortured" or anything to that effect?
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 1:03:49 PM
At 7/1/2016 6:18:10 AM, Axonly wrote:

Explanation?:

Thoughts?

I can tell you right now it's not him. I chose this particular person because there are many he/she could be.

Here is Brontoraptor's reaction: " By God...I think Hari is right! Axonly is a bronto bigot. And I'm a minority, thus, he is a racist as well. This libtard message is brought to you by AT&T. Back to your program..."
bulproof
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 1:30:56 PM
At 7/1/2016 6:18:10 AM, Axonly wrote:

It's me. it's me, Annie got it right
Religion is just mind control. George Carlin
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 1:32:46 PM
At 6/30/2016 4:11:52 PM, lightseeker wrote:
those are the trolls.
if you see someone with a lot of posts, just go check whether they've been in a real debate with a couple of round or not.

You show me a real good debate, and I'll show you a waste of time and space. Everything you think you know, should curiosity care to keep walking rather admire itself in the mirror, may one day walk through the mirror to realize nothing is as it appears. To be stuck in a C.S Lewis novel to never shake an awareness to its surroundings of Narnia, is a waste of a good book. Why do you hate books?
lightseeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 5:43:18 PM
At 7/1/2016 1:32:46 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
those are the trolls.

You show me a real good debate, and I'll show you a waste of time and space. Everything you think you know, should curiosity care to keep walking rather admire itself in the mirror, may one day walk through the mirror to realize nothing is as it appears. To be stuck in a C.S Lewis novel to never shake an awareness to its surroundings of Narnia, is a waste of a good book. Why do you hate books?

are you high?!
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 5:51:30 PM

Bulproof is harmless. I enjoy responding to his "arguments". They're rather easy to deflect.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
MasonicSlayer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 5:54:16 PM
At 7/1/2016 5:43:18 PM, lightseeker wrote:
At 7/1/2016 1:32:46 PM, MasonicSlayer wrote:
those are the trolls.

are you high?!

No. Smoking marijuana makes you stupid. Drinking alcohol kills brain cells. Cocaine is a waste of time, and heroin steals your soul. I am sober. I am always sober. Perhaps you're too drunk to things being told to look and act according to the conformity of dictated normalcy, that anything wavering from the fabrics to the wool pulled over your eyes, becomes too scratchy for contemplation.
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 5:55:21 PM
Axonly is claiming moral highground on bronto while being immoral on this very thread! (Bronto scampers off into the weeds)
Stop scampering in the weed, Bronto. It's not helping. :)
Harikrish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2016 6:04:52 PM
At 7/1/2016 6:20:42 AM, Axonly wrote:

No, it is not you. I suspected people would think it's you. You're loud, but harmless, this person is different.

That is a giveaway. You are accusing more than one person of being a hater. You named Brontoraptor in your profile. But he is not the only one you are targeting your accusations on thereby implying there are others.